Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Woebin posted:

Voting for the T-shirt design contest has started. I personally don't really like any of the Cecil/Carlos shirts that made it to finals (I'd been really hoping for Lawrence Gullo's design, personally), but at least I voted for the intern shirt in the second category.

Picked Melissa Shaw's Cecil/Carlos shirt, as its the only one that doesn't specify character appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I want to buy that intern shirt if it wins, but with all the birthdays and Christmas coming up and me with no job, I can't really buy poo poo for myself for a while. Those are only going to be available for a month, right? Maybe I can convince someone to get me one for Christmas...

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Woebin posted:

It was submitted! Was it lost somewhere in transit? Lawrence is a friend of mine and I know for a fact that he submitted it. He only shared it elsewhere online after submissions were closed to make sure nobody would steal it and submit it in their own name.

Edit: Checked with him and he definitely remembers submitting it. Of course if it just didn't qualify for finals that's one thing, but if it was lost somewhere on the way that's just really unfortunate.

I honestly don't really know. I was busy preparing for the live shows, so Jeffrey narrowed it down a lot and then I helped him come up with the final five for each. But I do know that a lot of designs that people posted online about submitting to us were not actually in the submissions, so we couldn't choose them. There was at least one for the second contest I saw that I really liked, but it wasn't actually submitted so it couldn't be considered.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are you guys planning to bring the show to Ohio sometime? I'm way too far from the places they've been to actually even think abut going.

Edit: I'm a little disappointed that my Topoatoco order didn't come with a thank you note like my shirt did :(

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Len posted:

Are you guys planning to bring the show to Ohio sometime? I'm way too far from the places they've been to actually even think abut going.

Edit: I'm a little disappointed that my Topoatoco order didn't come with a thank you note like my shirt did :(

We are working on plans to bring the show many places in the coming few years. We don't have specifics yet.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Night Vale minimalist photos

Source (several more)

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Oh my G-d maxnmona you do not disappoint! October 15th never seemed so far away...

Warm Body
Sep 18, 2007
The tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps to tap, at three, on the teeth
Holy poo poo. :catstare: I've been listening for several weeks, and I'd like to thank you for such an awesome podcast. And this? This one is pretty goddamned good. Fantastic and compelling ending.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Oz posted:

Picked Melissa Shaw's Cecil/Carlos shirt, as its the only one that doesn't specify character appearance.

Same. I really don't like the idea of the Cecil/Carlos shirts because it gives 'officialness' to what they look like, even if its just an outline. We all know that radio has better pictures because it has no pictures. :colbert:

I really, really like the Whispering Forest shirt though. :swoon:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Voted for Sophie's Cecil/Carlos shirt because it leaves the most to the imagination. Voted for the Summer Reading Program shirt because holy poo poo, I would buy and wear that shirt out in public as often as possible.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
The new episode is out and if you haven't listened to it yet you probably shouldn't be reading this post, or anything past it.

---------

Today's episode is the most terrifying episode yet.

Old woman Josie, the new intern being ascended to heaven, the football coach's tongue, and worst of all, Strex Corp is coming to Night Vale and they've already bought the radio station. Are they going to turn Night Vale into the new Desert Bluffs? What could be worse? :ohdear:

Annakie fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 1, 2013

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Annakie posted:

You might want to spoiler tag some of that stuff for people who have yet to listen to the episode.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Annakie posted:

LOTS OF SPOILERS
Thanks man, that's exactly how I wanted to start my day.

Edit-VVVV It's been up for a few hours at this point, most of us have barely started our days, much less had time to grab it and give it a listen. People have been really respectful of others in regard to posting spoilers. Fuckhead above knew exactly what he was doing. It was blatant and loving lovely. Seriously, look how he added NOTHING to the discussion except hurrying to spell out the basic details of the episode.

lovely.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 1, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I dunno. That's kind of like going into the Breaking Bad thread after the finale aired and being mad about spoilers. It's up, you have to take a degree of responsibility for reading the thread before listening.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

This was a really good episode that hit a lot of good points in the "things happened" and "good setup for future things happening" categories. Gonna be another long two weeks.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I added a warning to my previous post but if this were TVIV (which I'm aware that it is not) I'd get probated for using spoiler tags, since the episode is actually out and has been for about nine hours now. If the thread is going to have some other spoiler policy rather than the norm, that should probably be posted. (Please let's not turn the thread into a spoiler debate. :( )

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

iostream.h posted:

Fuckhead above knew exactly what he was doing. It was blatant and loving lovely. Seriously, look how he added NOTHING to the discussion except hurrying to spell out the basic details of the episode.

lovely.

The point of the post, as I can tell, was to start a discussion about those events, and perhaps a bit of theorizing about what will happen next. She wasn't trying to spoil anyone, she wanted to talk about what happened with other people who listened. Also, you could have stopped reading her post, dude. She said "Today's episode is the most terrifying yet" and then there's a linebreak. You could have stopped reading after the linebreak.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Annakie posted:

I added a warning to my previous post but if this were TVIV (which I'm aware that it is not) I'd get probated for using spoiler tags, since the episode is actually out and has been for about nine hours now. If the thread is going to have some other spoiler policy rather than the norm, that should probably be posted. (Please let's not turn the thread into a spoiler debate. :( )

It's posted at like midnight. It's 10:45 am here on the east coast and the rear end crack of dawn on the west coast, so it's pretty reasonable to assume not a lot of people have had a chance to listen to it yet. It's not like a TV show that comes on at prime time in the evenings. I don't think it's unreasonable to use spoiler tags on the 1st and 15th

I don't think you were deliberately spoiling anything though and iostream.h is getting kind of crazy

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Earwicker posted:

It's posted at like midnight. It's 10:45 am here on the east coast and the rear end crack of dawn on the west coast, so it's pretty reasonable to assume not a lot of people have had a chance to listen to it yet. It's not like a TV show that comes on at prime time in the evenings. I don't think it's unreasonable to use spoiler tags on the 1st and 15th

I don't think you were deliberately spoiling anything though and iostream.h is getting kind of crazy

I agree that would be reasonable if maxnmona agrees, maybe it should go in the OP with the occasional reminder before a new episode. I sincerely apologize if I upset anyone, again, I was just posting by the normal rules regarding spoilers of the forums and WAS hoping to foster conversation about the new episode by those who had seen it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Annakie posted:

The new episode is out and if you haven't listened to it yet you probably shouldn't be reading this post.

Old woman Josie, the new intern being ascended to heaven, the football coach's tongue, and worst of all, Strex Corp is coming to Night Vale and they've already bought the radio station. Are they going to turn Night Vale into the new Desert Bluffs? What could be worse? :ohdear:

I'm kind of excited to see what could happen with the Strex Corp plotline. It would be neat if they started slipping in commercials or slowly bought the local businesses. Maybe we'll get a comment about how the new radio equipment appears to be made out of animal viscera. I also really liked the line delivery of the Strex bit at the end in how it was a 180 from Kevin. He said it and it sounded nice and soothing. Cecil saying it was incredibly sinister and evil.

I would buy an "Angels don't exist" bumper sticker. I don't know what I'm going to do with my current Night Vale stickers but I would buy another.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Hey, better StrexCorp than ClearChannel! :v:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Earwicker posted:

I finally had my first coffee of the day although I make no apologies. It was a lovely thing to start the day off with.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

iostream.h posted:

I finally had my first coffee of the day although I make no apologies. It was a lovely thing to start the day off with.

"It was really lovely starting off my day with a thing I could have easily avoided by not reading past a line break!"

BrooklynBruiser fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 1, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

BrooklynBruiser posted:

"It was really lovely starting off my day with a thing I could have easily avoided by not reading past a line break!"
Oh gently caress you. There was a line break, not any indication that spoilers were forthcoming. Some people read faster than others.

Seriously, why not just use loving spoiler tags on the day it drops?
The 'edit' done is utter bullshit, it doesn't prevent anyone from seeing anything, why not just insert spoiler tags except to be a oval office?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Annakie posted:

Strex Corp is coming to Night Vale and they've already bought the radio station.

Wait what, how did I miss this? I blame the Jackson Publick cameo.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

iostream.h posted:

Oh gently caress you. There was a line break, not any indication that spoilers were forthcoming. Some people read faster than others.

Seriously, why not just use loving spoiler tags on the day it drops?
The 'edit' done is utter bullshit, it doesn't prevent anyone from seeing anything, why not just insert spoiler tags except to be a oval office?

It was a mistake. It annoyed me too but you're really getting really bent out of shape about it. Do you think if would hurt to ignore the thread for a bit and take some time to cool off?

Slaan posted:

Same. I really don't like the idea of the Cecil/Carlos shirts because it gives 'officialness' to what they look like, even if its just an outline. We all know that radio has better pictures because it has no pictures. :colbert:

Same. I like having no official image of the characters, at least as far as this show goes. The shirts are all well done though and the one with the spilt beaker and the heart is cute.

catch22 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 1, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I dunno if there's much interest, but I set up an IRC channel for fans of the podcast to hang out in!

It's on irc.synirc.net, and the room is #NightVale.

You can click this link to just join via a web IRC client, or you can click this link for information about other clients.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
As soon as Hyram started speaking I immediately recognized the voice and nearly poo poo myself in glee. I've never had to rewind an episode so many times because I lose poo poo while laughing so hard, nor have I exclaimed "OH poo poo" so many times at a plot twist and had to rewind to make sure I heard what I thought I heard.

I know you say there's no fixed plan for the series, but the way the plot threads came together in this episode made the whole thing up to now seem densely plotted and now it's going to be a long-rear end two weeks.

Also, people who like this show really need to read "American Elsewhere." It's a somewhat lovecraftian sci-fi horror novel about eldritch horrors who just want to carve out their own slice of the small town American dream. It's written by Robert Jackson Bennett, who used to post here under the name Spiny Norman (and his threads were beautifully epic) and published by Orbit books. Came out back in February. Definitely not a night vale ripoff, because he started writing it in 2011, but seems to inhabit a similar (although far less comedic) head space. Very much worth reading.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

AstroZamboni posted:

Also, people who like this show really need to read "American Elsewhere." It's a somewhat lovecraftian sci-fi horror novel about eldritch horrors who just want to carve out their own slice of the small town American dream. It's written by Robert Jackson Bennett, who used to post here under the name Spiny Norman (and his threads were beautifully epic) and published by Orbit books. Came out back in February. Definitely not a night vale ripoff, because he started writing it in 2011, but seems to inhabit a similar (although far less comedic) head space. Very much worth reading.
Very true, I finished this earlier this year and recommended it immediately in the Lovecraftian horror thread over in TBB. It's a great book with a really interesting premise. Author's a nice cat, too.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Indeed, and all of his other books are very much worth reading.

Also, am I alone in thinking "Believe in a smiling god" is just about the creepiest phrase ever?

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 1, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, so many things are being set up this episode I don't know which I'm most worried about.

AstroZamboni posted:

Also, am I alone in thinking "Believe in a smiling god" is just about the creepiest phrase ever?
Nope, because to me it fits in with the too-wide-forced-smile vibe I got from Desert Bluff's broadcast.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
"Believe in a smiling god" made me so proud to be a Jew.

Where is this live show in the show's general chronology? You said it would air as a regular episode, but when?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I am looking forward to ongoing Mayoral race coverage.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

New album out from Earwicker. Hear it now before you hear bits of it floating in the background of Night Vale.

http://disparition.bandcamp.com/album/muro-e-parete

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Sooooooo, will there be a Nightvale Liberation Front?

I'll stand outside screaming at the sky until we get some guns

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've been refreshing sound cloud all day why is 32 not there :(

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
At the end, when Cecil did the nervous giggle, I was seriously expecting to hear like a gun being cocked, or a chair get knocked over, or a door slam...something kidnap/hostage-y.

And how do you spell Vithia?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

*ahem*

At 945CST the first episode shall be broadcast slightly below 3.5MHZ on LSB.
Can't give an exact frequency because I'll have to find a clear spot, but there y'go.

An episode a night from here on until Halloween, at which point I'll marathon the rest.

Send reception reports to iostream.header at the gee male please. (Is GBS open right now?)

Edit: Incidentally, absolutely no digital equipment is being used for this broadcast. I copied over the podcast to an old reel-to-reel multitrack recorder from my studio with some extremely aged and water damaged tape to play over the air. Tube transceiver and an old rear end analog mixer and crystal mic with a tube pre complete the setup.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 2, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

iostream.h posted:

*ahem*

At 945CST the first episode shall be broadcast slightly below 3.5MHZ on LSB.
Can't give an exact frequency because I'll have to find a clear spot, but there y'go.

An episode a night from here on until Halloween, at which point I'll marathon the rest.

Send reception reports to iostream.header at the gee male please. (Is GBS open right now?)

Not sure, but do you mind if I pass this along to someone who might be interested in it who isn't a goon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

Not sure, but do you mind if I pass this along to someone who might be interested in it who isn't a goon?
Long as they're not an FCC agent. ;)

Edit: I do hope everyone enjoyed it, just got in from my super-anonymous-pirate radio-station location. I'm pretty sure at one point someone tried jamming me (QRM'ing in ham radio lingo). I appreciate the signal reports guys, keep 'em coming. It was fun and I enjoyed it!

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 2, 2013