Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

It would be nice if they finally incorporated the 24h Nurburgring layout. They have both the GP circuit and the Nordschliefe itself, so maybe this time they'll join them together for an additional layout and fun endurance run course?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
21 more cars conformed for FM5

Most from FM4 and the DLC and nothing too new. The Stradale returning makes me happy though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Turn-10, please post more car pics. I'm drooling over just the two shown in that link. Everything looks so amazing.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Sex Vicar posted:

Most from FM4 and the DLC and nothing too new. The Stradale returning makes me happy though.
I guess that page is going to be updating every Wednesday until the game comes out. That makes me happy. Now if they'd just give us a track list, that would be great.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Sex Vicar posted:

I noticed the McLaren M23D (just listed as M23) and Ferrari 312T2 (listed as 312-2) are in.

Rush tie-in, perhaps?

Also the DW12

Open-wheel cars :fap:

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 25, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did you miss the big announcement at E3? The indy cars and Lauda/Hunt cars were to announce open wheel in the game as well as a Rush tie in.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

Kilonum posted:

I noticed the McLaren M23D (just listed as M23) and Ferrari 312T2 (listed as 312-2) are in.

Rush tie-in, perhaps?

Also the DW12

Open-wheel cars :fap:

They confirmed the Rush tie in a while back. Also One of the Codemasters community team said they didn't get most of the McLaren cars for their classic mode in F1 2013 since someone else had an exclusive. So I'd imagine the McLarens will show up in FM5 (Oh god what if the MP4/4 is in? :flashfap: )

There's apparently going to be more news during Dan Greenwalt's presentation at the Eurogamer Expo tomorrow. Hopefully a new track confirmed or Spa/Bathurst footage.

Sex Vicar fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 25, 2013

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Sex Vicar posted:

From a glance that R34 model looks a bit nicer than the FM4 one, I realy hope they managed to get rid of the horrible FM1/2 models this time around.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I guess that page is going to be updating every Wednesday until the game comes out. That makes me happy. Now if they'd just give us a track list, that would be great.

Track list:
Bathurst

Track list complete.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
If we get Caterhams, I will drive nothing but Caterhams.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
They've been putting updates on twitter about some of the new stuff.

• The Stig is going to be in the game, don't really say how but I imagine you'll race him maybe?
  • There's a new Alps track that looks really pretty
  • New Silverstone
  • Jeremy Clarkson is again going to do the intro video narrating.
  • Talked about a new career mode which hopefully we'll hear more about really soon

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

The stream was crap but there also was an introduction from the three Top Gear presenters at the top of it and Dan mentioned all three would be involved somehow in the game. All three are apparently narrating Autovista as well.

Dan also mentioned they got the track scans from the same company who accidentally leaked out Bathurst, Spa and more when talking about the new Silverstone config (So probably confirms those new tracks) while the rest of the tracks they were happy with GPS and just had small adjustments like the Nurburgring Nordschife. So I wouldn't be shocked if they are keeping most of the FM4 tracks and just prettying them up (And FM4 was no slouch on the tracks).

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

A new Alps track? Are they replacing Bernese Alps then, or just adding a second track in a similar location?

I hope it's the latter, because Bernese Alps is a really fantastic track and it would be a tragedy to see it leave the series since nothing else on the track list is geared towards maintaining such constant high speed, as well as looking so stunning. It's hard to tell from the slides posted if it's an entirely new track, or a revamped Bernese Alps.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

It's Bernese alps from FM4. Just made really pretty looking. They just put out a direct feed trailer for it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YfEUVjGq80

(Will edit if Gamersyde put out a 60FPS one)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sex Vicar posted:

while the rest of the tracks they were happy with GPS and just had small adjustments like the Nurburgring Nordschife.

If these 'small adjustments' don't include scaling the 'ring down to its proper size, then I don't even know what the gently caress. It's over 2 miles longer than it's supposed to be. That's absurd.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ah yeah, that looks pretty nice! Hopefully the game has a couple more city tracks beside Prague as well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sex Vicar posted:

It's Bernese alps from FM4. Just made really pretty looking. They just put out a direct feed trailer for it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YfEUVjGq80

(Will edit if Gamersyde put out a 60FPS one)

Maybe we just need to see a side by side comparison, but that doesn't look much better then the version in FM4. The car on the other hand is waaaaaaaay more detailed then even its FM4 counterpart.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Direct feed loving FINALLY!!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Maybe we just need to see a side by side comparison, but that doesn't look much better then the version in FM4. The car on the other hand is waaaaaaaay more detailed then even its FM4 counterpart.
The details are minor but they are there, I saw a lot because Alps is one of my favorite tracks and I use it for tuning so I've lapped it a ton.

The track reminds me a lot more of what we saw in Horizon with all the banners and billboards on the immediate sides of the track. The scenery is improved, the valley on the right of the first long downhill is a lot more detailed with some realistic looking clouds. The guardrails look to be made of wood in this section as well, with the one on the left protecting the car from a sort of grassy/bushy growth area on the side of the mountain instead of what we saw in 4. The trees and stuff on the sides of the mountain in the section leading up to the tunnel look nicer. The tunnel is different, way more detailed. The lake on the left after the tunnel looks nicer, and has a realistic looking fog over it. They got rid of the glass bridge type structure after the last turn headed onto the final straight, which I miss because that bridge was cool. Also a more realistic and denser looking crowd surrounding the entire track.

Like you said, there are no HUGE improvements, but Alps was one of the prettiest tracks in the game and was made for Forza 4, so it was pretty nice already. I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done with some of the other tracks, although what I could see from that video on Laguna Seca was kind of a letdown.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I said come in! posted:

It seems reasonable for working with the existing track design that they had, I think. We can see that they've added spectators around the course, a helicopter flying around the track and some mist/fog effects to add to atmospherics. If you watch any of the footage for the updated version of Laguna Seca, you can see that's the exact same approach that they took there as well, more spectators, a helicopter and dust blowing around.

I don't really think there's much else that they can do to improve the visuals of existing tracks, save for introducing night racing and weather. I expect any other tracks brought forward from Forza 4 to have similar upgrades to be honest.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
It looks like FM4's Bernie's alps with higher anti-aliasing. Also, what's with the hud? I'm sick of these curved HUDs that bounce around, makes me think Tony Stark is driving the car.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sebring with anti-aliasing is going to be really nice.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Does the Trevor character in GTA V remind anyone else of Bentron?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Side by side comparison is nice

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Feh, what kind of noob drives in 3rd person :smuggo:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hitze posted:

Now you can see where it's a pretty big difference. Thanks.

GutBomb posted:

Does the Trevor character in GTA V remind anyone else of Bentron?

Yes, we were all just too uncomfortable to say it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Lives in a trailer, riddlled with STIs and speed? Yup.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
I was here first, assholes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So, Rush is a real good movie. I bring this up because of its tie-ins with Forza 5. I hope all of those race cars are in FM5.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'd laugh if they had the Tyrrell P34.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

hitze posted:

Here's a proper video comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPAQa6Scbdc

I think the FM4 version actually looks a lot nicer (particularly the trees) and you can see how they cut down the poly count in FM5 on things such as the peak in the middle of the track being chopped down next to the bridge where they removed the curved railing things overhead. I think it's a shame really because when you put the two side by side, you can see a lot of environmental details in the FM4 version of the track that are completely lost/muddied in FM5 by their choice to go nutty with that weird lighting and fog. The track has some really impressive vistas, why ruin them :(

At the end of the day though it's just personal taste, and Bernese Alps is a fantastic track regardless. I just wish that visually it was more in-line with how gorgeous the FM4 version looked, than what they've done to it in FM5.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It doesn't make any sense that they had to lower the quality of some things in 5. Did they go way too overboard on other things?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think it's just bad art direction, more than anything. It looks like something from a Codemasters racing game (that ugly brown tint, for example) and all the fog that obscures/blurs the gorgeous vistas that are visible in the background of the FM4 version of the track. Even the trees have gone from really well detailed thick foliage to... those weird dark green/brown blurry blobs littering one of my favorite sections of the entire track.

Has Turn 10 hired any ex-Codemasters staff recently? That visual style is unmistakable. I just hope that they haven't done the same thing to Camino Viejo because again, although it's a well-designed and fun course to race around regardless, it also had some really breathtaking views and it would be a real shame to see them ruined.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I imagine Maple Valley will look really nice with this kind of visual treatment.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The big problem in my opinion is that the place just doesn't look as crisp and pristine as you'd expect the alps to be.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It doesn't make any sense that they had to lower the quality of some things in 5. Did they go way too overboard on other things?

Could fit in with the rumour of 24-Player grids if they were toning down some elements on the tracks to compensate but there is added detail in the crowds and fog hanging off the mountains in other places. Backgrounds and skyboxes don't look as static as FM4 either. It's kinda weird that it's picked up detail in some places and dropped it in others.

Does have some codies brand piss filter on it though, will give you that.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I really don't think it's a good idea for them to add 24 player grids until they get 16 player grids working without hardlocks occurring every 15 minutes.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Cannot Find Server posted:

I really don't think it's a good idea for them to add 24 player grids until they get 16 player grids working without hardlocks occurring every 15 minutes.

Have you seen a hardlock from a Forza 5 demo?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

redhalo posted:

Have you seen a hardlock from a Forza 5 demo?

Have they shown any Forza 5 demos with multiple people and paint schemes?

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Cannot Find Server posted:

Have they shown any Forza 5 demos with multiple people and paint schemes?

Ah, sounded like you knew something we didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

redhalo posted:

Ah, sounded like you knew something we didn't.

Nah, just drawing on the fact that we've had three games with this issue. I'd like to imagine that they've fixed it for 5, but if you told me back when Forza 2 was the newest entry that this problem would still be present in 4, I'd never believe you. Since the problem is caused by a memory leak linked to paint schemes from yourself and other players, if they have not fixed this leak and increase the player count to 24, that would be really bad.

• Locked thread