Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Protip: If you're trying to make a Mass Effect knockoff don't advertise having one of Bioware's most reviled ex-writers as a stretch goal. They cleaned up the comments but after they announced Jennifer "Gigglesquee" Hepler was joining their team they were buried in people withdrawing their funding explicitly because of how much ill-will she has among the very audience they were targeting.

Oh man, why didn't I know that Helper co-wrote "Cyberpirates" before? I don't think it would have made much of a difference, either here or with ME3, but "Cyberpirates" was one of my favorite sourcebooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Protip: If you're trying to make a Mass Effect knockoff don't advertise having one of Bioware's most reviled ex-writers as a stretch goal. They cleaned up the comments but after they announced Jennifer "Gigglesquee" Hepler was joining their team they were buried in people withdrawing their funding explicitly because of how much ill-will she has among the very audience they were targeting.

I don't see people withdrawing their funding looking at Kicktraq. They weren't gaining momentum after the first few days but that's not uncommon.

Also I agree with many of the points she makes in her Kickstarter update about the poor completion rate for games and some of the underlying causes and possible solutions.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Oh, wasn't that the Mass-Effect-with-tentacle-rape from a while back? Completely unsurprised it didn't get off the ground, too ambitious of a project for a bunch of no-names (and Jennifer Hepler, whose name is still mud).

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

So why exactly is she so reviled? I mean, the writing in Bioware games is kind of terrible, but why her specifically?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

FlyinPingu posted:

So why exactly is she so reviled? I mean, the writing in Bioware games is kind of terrible, but why her specifically?

because she said "combat in rpgs is often chronically unfun and used as a means to pad out the length of a game by having a bunch of grinding between two story points."

and she was right and the internet went total loving crazy about it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FlyinPingu posted:

Because gamers and misogyny go together like hot dogs and process cheese.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

QwertyAsher posted:

because she said "combat in rpgs is often chronically unfun and used as a means to pad out the length of a game by having a bunch of grinding between two story points."

What's ironic about her comment is that she wrote Orzammar for DA:O. I wonder if seeing that influenced her views, since:
- It was full of grinding while playing the Deep Roads. I doubt she had anything to do with the level design.
- It was notorious for having a 'level gate' - bandits on the approach that were hard to beat for low-level players, meaning that you had to level up a bit to experience Orzammar. (And players who drop out due to excessive grinding/difficulty/etc. may never even see Orzammar.)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

FlyinPingu posted:

She did some of the worst writing in Dragon Age 2, writes and acts like a goddamn Troper (gigglesquee), and was generally very public and open in embodying the things people didn't like about post-buyout Bioware.

She's also a woman who isn't conventionally attractive so that got her a lot of internet creepazoid hate too.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

"and for blowing up the Chantry and leading the mage rebellion in “Dragon Age II,”"

Wow, that's not a positive talking point AT ALL, SERIOUSLY. Why on earth did they think it was?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

FlyinPingu posted:

Because she advocated change in videogames, and nerds hate change more than anything else. She basically just said that maybe there should be an option to skip certain fights in RPGs to advance the story. Funnily enough, Nintendo has started doing the same exact thing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571910&pagenumber=49#lastpost

lol FYAD literally runs the forums. I mean they can't ban these people right? If FYAD poo poo up a thread it's gotta be closed, no bad vibes please!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571910&pagenumber=49#lastpost

lol FYAD literally runs the forums. I mean they can't ban these people right? If FYAD poo poo up a thread it's gotta be closed, no bad vibes please!

Yeah what the hell just happened here? I honestly don't get it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Midnight Voyager posted:

Wow, that's not a positive talking point AT ALL, SERIOUSLY. Why on earth did they think it was?

You didn't like the hamfisted and poorly-written Fantasy 9/11 and Fantasy Holocaust plotlines? Obviously you're just some kind of misogynistic grognard :jerkbag:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

She did some of the worst writing in Dragon Age 2, writes and acts like a goddamn Troper (gigglesquee), and was generally very public and open in embodying the things people didn't like about post-buyout Bioware.

'Gigglesquee' wasn't her, it was Sheryl Chee.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah what the hell just happened here? I honestly don't get it.

Seriously, FYAD didn't like the thread and were mocking it so they poo poo it up and the mods literally can't act against them because of ADMIN INTRIGUE, so it got locked before anyone could call them out for being shitheads. It's happened more than once already. Still doesn't change we're gonna get close to $14k at least to Doobie's Hotdogs though :unsmith:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's okay, we can all relish (pun intended) in the fact that FYAD is awful and we did an Alabama man good. :unsmith:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Let's not pretend that this is why people hate her. The people that hate her, by and large, are also the same sort of people who routinely buy, read, and enjoy R.A. Salvatore books. It's got very little to do with the quality of her writing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
At least it got me to open up FYAD for the first time in months, and to discover that it got even more *LOLzIR0N1CXD* and devoid of content.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What the gently caress? Maybe it's just because I'm new to being a goon still, but that sounds really hosed up.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

steinrokkan posted:

At least it got me to open up FYAD for the first time in months, and to discover that it got even more *LOLzIR0N1CXD* and devoid of content.

It doesn't seem like so much a forum as a museum of hosed up avatars at this point.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I don't even know what FYAD is and don't want to.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

QwertyAsher posted:

I absolutely loving hate grinding to the point that I've hit brick walls in multiple RPGs because I had parties at like half the level I needed for an area because I skipped filler combat(for example I was 20 levels underlevelled for the CPU in Final Fantasy IV, and you can't leave that area to go back to an inn or store :smithicide:), but that's not what she said. She was talking about being able to remove all combat which at that point why even bother making it an RPG instead of an adventure game? The solution is to properly balance the encounter design and leveling, and have an interesting combat system, not to remove all combat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^You know she said that as a kinda 'what if' thing and didn't like, actually passionately lobby for no combat in DA or whatever right? You're literally upset at someone saying 'this could be neat'.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

She's also a woman who isn't conventionally attractive so that got her a lot of internet creepazoid hate too.

The squee things were actually the other woman in Bioware that their terrible fans decided was Killing Videogames, she didn't do any of that and mainly is just the woman who wrote something people didn't like in a video game series' already lovely story but I guess it hosed with fanfics or something so it was basically the worst.

Also DA1 was exactly as crappy as 2 so I have no idea how 'post buyout' means anything but generic 'hey man EA is the worst isn't it?'

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Seriously, FYAD didn't like the thread and were mocking it so they poo poo it up and the mods literally can't act against them because of ADMIN INTRIGUE, so it got locked before anyone could call them out for being shitheads. It's happened more than once already. Still doesn't change we're gonna get close to $14k at least to Doobie's Hotdogs though :unsmith:

BIG FYAD once again ruins a perfectly nice hotdog shack.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I guess the lesson is that if you have a negative postcount you can poo poo up threads all you like with impunity because it's "ironic."

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

WickedHate posted:

What the gently caress? Maybe it's just because I'm new to being a goon still, but that sounds really hosed up.

Forget it, WickedHate, it's SA.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Hey you know what sounds like a great idea? Taking all the fun out of homebrewing. It's a device for brewing beer that literally reduces the process to dumping a bunch of ingredients in and pushing a button. I get that some people are obsessed with maximizing efficiency and ensuring repeatability, but it seems like this thing is antithetical to the reasons why a lot of people enjoy brewing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

door Door door posted:

Hey you know what sounds like a great idea? Taking all the fun out of homebrewing. It's a device for brewing beer that literally reduces the process to dumping a bunch of ingredients in and pushing a button. I get that some people are obsessed with maximizing efficiency and ensuring repeatability, but it seems like this thing is antithetical to the reasons why a lot of people enjoy brewing.

That just makes me sad. It's insanely fun to just chillout doing a brew at home, I don't want to load all this poo poo in a machine and press a button I want to obsessively tweak and mess with it every step like an alcoholic mad scientist.

Also almost fifteen hundred is pretty steep for a machine that does what my lovely pots and carboy can do just fine.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

BIG FYAD once again ruins a perfectly nice hotdog shack.

You make it sound like it's not literally and obviously true. Did you miss the part where they spammed the last three pages of the thread with a picture of Steve Austin then a mod closed the thread with an awkward 'ironic' comment?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I absolutely loving hate grinding to the point that I've hit brick walls in multiple RPGs because I had parties at like half the level I needed for an area because I skipped filler combat(for example I was 20 levels underlevelled for the CPU in Final Fantasy IV, and you can't leave that area to go back to an inn or store :smithicide:), but that's not what she said. She was talking about being able to remove all combat which at that point why even bother making it an RPG instead of an adventure game? The solution is to properly balance the encounter design and leveling, and have an interesting combat system, not to remove all combat.

She said that if people were allowed to skip all the story with just a press of a button, there was no reason not to enable the same for combat sequences, since both were an integral part of the product.

And I fully agree, even a well-designed RPG could benefit from that: It's often too time consuming to repeat fights just to see an alternative branch in the story, even if you don't have to grind.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Jesus you 13's make me feel like the old man telling stories around the campfire. And I couldn't explain FYAD if you gave me a decade to research it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I thought it was kinda funny in a thread that spun into pages upon pages of secret handshakes and plaque talks, but I dunno man that's just one guy's opinion. I don't think there's 'admin intrigue' at play I think the mod just found a funny way to close the thread for a bit.

Not everything is Game of Thrones, some things are Stone Cold, and figuring out the difference is key to survival in life.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I thought it was kinda funny in a thread that spun into pages upon pages of secret handshakes and plaque talks, but I dunno man that's just one guy's opinion. I don't think there's 'admin intrigue' at play I think the mod just found a funny way to close the thread for a bit.

Not everything is Game of Thrones, some things are Stone Cold, and figuring out the difference is key to survival in life.

Can someone explain this? I mean I thought it was an unspoken agreement the negs could have their playland as long as they kept it there, why are they allowed to shitpost with impunity in GBS?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Can someone explain this? I mean I thought it was an unspoken agreement the negs could have their playland as long as they kept it there, why are they allowed to shitpost with impunity in GBS?

I doubt that they are. The mods are probably going to go through and delete all the images and probate or ban the spammers, then reopen the thread.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Three pages of Stone Cold Steve Austin is funnier than the preceding 45 pages of "lol I'm not buying my kids Christmas presents I'm giving the money to the Dawg Shack instead. Just dumped my girlfriend so I have one less expense time to up my pledge lmao. Make him put the OP on a bronze plaque for some true epic winnery" combined.

Doobie's Dog Shack got funded, Goons made a man's dream come true, let it die with what little dignity remains.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

steinrokkan posted:

She said that if people were allowed to skip all the story with just a press of a button, there was no reason not to enable the same for combat sequences, since both were an integral part of the product.

And I fully agree, even a well-designed RPG could benefit from that: It's often too time consuming to repeat fights just to see an alternative branch in the story, even if you don't have to grind.

Narrative momentum just flat out dies when your character does in a game with story, I fully agree with her there. The smartest thing GTAV did was have a 'skip sequence' button after you die 3 times on a part of a mission. Can't fly a helicopter? Crash thrice and skip ahead.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Three pages of Stone Cold Steve Austin is funnier than the preceding 45 pages of "lol I'm not buying my kids Christmas presents I'm giving the money to the Dawg Shack instead. Just dumped my girlfriend so I have one less expense time to up my pledge lmao. Make him put the OP on a bronze plaque for some true epic winnery" combined.

Doobie's Dog Shack got funded, Goons made a man's dream come true, let it die with what little dignity remains.

But that isn't what was going on. The plaque was the dog mans idea, we were simply trying to find a way to do it cheaply, which the guy had asked us to do. And no one was laughing at the people giving up x-mas presents and stuff, none of that was done ironically like you seem to be saying here.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Except that thing is still rolling strong. I'm not a backer or a hater, I just find the whole thing funny. Dignity is through the roof apparently

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If you make enough money to waste ten bux and post on these forums anyway, what's wrong with just spending another ten on whatever stupid cause you want? Even if it's just so you feel good about it. So what if he's just moving his trailer closer to the septic take and installing a toilet with it? That's other money he won't have to spend on things like hot dog buns, chili, and hot dogs.

It's not like the town of "Reform, Alabama" has a wide loving range of culinary options:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Some Other Guy posted:

If you make enough money to waste ten bux and post on these forums anyway, what's wrong with just spending another ten on whatever stupid cause you want? Even if it's just so you feel good about it. So what if he's just moving his trailer closer to the septic take and installing a toilet with it? That's other money he won't have to spend on things like hot dog buns, chili, and hot dogs.

It's not like the town of "Reform, Alabama" has a wide loving range of culinary options:

That also wasn't what he was using his money for, but at least your heart is in the right place here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Big FYAD is actually in the pocket of Subway, it all makes sense.