Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
If there were a Scenery expansion and a Sci-fi/Steampunk/Contemporary expansion I would be all over that, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah that would be really ideal for where they seem to be going at the moment. Lump all the various genres in their own expansions.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think that would be great for customers, but bad for Reaper.

If Reaper can offer you two expansions, each of which has just enough figures to get you to buy it, that's better than offering you one expansion with 100% models you want and one with 0 models you want.

The risk is offering you two expansions, neither of which has quite enough models to entice you to buy it.

But Bones I showed that even if you didn't want any sci-fi minis, the Vampire level was such an amazing bargain, you'd buy it anyway. Putting the sci fi mixed in with other models at $50 tiers would get the sci-fi junkies to buy those whole tiers, while still offering a reason for the fantasy junkies to also buy those tiers.

Maybe a bit mercenary, but probably their best strategy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I bagged myself wave 4 shipping on the core set whilst it's still available (weirdly, it only gave me the option for wave 4, so I have no clue how people have managed to buy other waves early). Time will tell whether I keep it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Something's been bothering me, and I finally figured out what it is.

Comparing Bones I to Bones II, we've hit stretch goals at approximately the same pledge levels in both: about 27 between inception and $800k in both kickstarters, for example.

But most of the Bones I stretch goals seem to have added both a paid-for add-on, and an expansion of Vampire; whereas in Bones II, we're getting one or the other but not both.

For Example:
Bones I

Added

A $10 add-on

and

Some elves added to Vampire/Undertaker.

The current rate of add-ons for Bones II, and especially the placement of this +$50 add-on tier way up at the $925k mark, tells me Reaper is counting on Bones II going to at least double the total they got from the first Bones kickstarter. Moreover, as pledgers, we'll probably need to see about 2x the total for the kickstarter in order to get a similar level of value for the base $100 pledge... and with a fair number of future stretch goals going into $50 add-on packs, we may see significantly less anyway.

...Which is maybe expected, Bones I was a crazy-good deal, but it's worth keeping in mind that Bones II promises to be much bigger (in terms of money going to Reaper) but perhaps not much bigger (in terms of models sent to backers) and possibly a lot more expensive (in terms of dollars per model).

Portus
Sep 11, 2013
Welp, just threw $187 on the core plus addons on stuff will only see in a year :yotj:.

The expansion #1 seems rather unappealing and bland, other than the turtle dragon, and I certainly am expecting as much minis as the Vampire set in the core, which they are not adding at the same rate than these. Altough I guess thats expecting too much, since they're getting money on a much faster rate also.

Portus fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 2, 2013

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Adding "Core Options" is allowing them to multiplex the stretch goals even further. I.e. aside from Leper's observation that they are splitting options out from core expansions, I'm guessing that they will also eke out individual stretch goals from each individual expansion to each "Core Option X".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wave 3 is sold out, Wave 4 is halfway sold out, and Wave 5 is open with a few dozen pledges for some reason.

We've just hit $858k, and the next tier after this one is going to take at least a couple hours ($60k in pledges) to get to, but here's what we get now:

TWO at $1M!

quote:

TWO Rewards! Blightfang the Green, Lord of the Forest, will be unlocked if we raise $1,000,000, and you can add her to your rewards for only $10! In Addition - We will be adding these lovely dragon hatchlings to your Core Sets!

Hatchling Dragons, very cute:

Another $10 Dragon, totally uninspiring to me:

I know Reaper has a LOT of dragons, but really how many dragons are you gonna paint up and use? Do you have a game that is just your heroes against like ten dragons, and each one has to be represented with a different model? I guess if you need a green dragon you need Blightfang here because you can't have a red dragon representing a green dragon, that'd be crazy.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Ahahaha, I take it you're not married?
Yeah, I'm married - I can't imagine your wife would be pissed if you sold some of your stuff to finance other things. No harm, no foul, right? It's not like you're raiding the kid's college fund for plastic mans.

Sefer posted:

Pretty sure you have to pledge to get updates, just jump in at $1 and cancel before it ends if you're not going to get any models.
Yeah, you have to pledge at least $1 to get the updates. No biggie though - they've been funded, so if you decide to jump ship, you can.

You know, looking at Core Set 2, I'm wondering if this is Reaper's way of seeing if funding their less popular model lines is feasible. None of those models (aside from dragon turtle) is particularly appealing, so they may just be doing some market research.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

There's something to this little game board they're playing, such that every time he gets to a place it asks Trick or Treat, and every spot where something was unlocked says Treat. So is something going to say "Trick" eventually?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fix posted:

So is something going to say "Trick" eventually?

The credit card bill at the end of this.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

GrandpaPants posted:

The credit card bill at the end of this.

Maybe a PDF reward like last time?

I'm in for 120 so far. Got in for wave 2. Using the translucents to make a gelatinous cube was genious, and I couldn't say no to those rad undead dudes. Gonna sell some of my big colleciton of D&D minis to help underwrite it. Not really sold on the $50 add on thing, particularly if there are multiples, and doubly so if it detracts from core set stretch goals. I'm confident they know what they're doing though and are going to give us a great value.

(I have painted exactly ONE of my Vampire Pledge Rewards, the giant fire elemental.)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

They also posted threads in their forums soliciting people to list exactly what they wanted in a new kickstarter. Their forums-members being the people most likely to buy in, that was a smart thing to do.

They definitely were listening to people in their forums, but they've also been looking at things like sales data. For example, people on the Reaper boards were pretty disdainful of the familiars. Just didn't think it would sell, weren't that interested. The Bones familiars are one of their biggest sellers right now. So they're paying attention, but taking it all with a grain of salt.

demota posted:

Anyone know anything about their Master Series Paints? $18 for 12 pots sounds like a good value, but I don't know much about them.

Their paints are pretty good. I like 'em. One note: The HD stands for High Density. The HD paints are designed primarily for things like basecoats, where you want strong, even coverage, and are less useful for shading and the like. Great for what they're designed for, just got to keep in mind what that is.

Leperflesh posted:

Something's been bothering me, and I finally figured out what it is.

Comparing Bones I to Bones II, we've hit stretch goals at approximately the same pledge levels in both: about 27 between inception and $800k in both kickstarters, for example.

But most of the Bones I stretch goals seem to have added both a paid-for add-on, and an expansion of Vampire; whereas in Bones II, we're getting one or the other but not both.

For Example:
Bones I

Added

A $10 add-on

and

Some elves added to Vampire/Undertaker.

The current rate of add-ons for Bones II, and especially the placement of this +$50 add-on tier way up at the $925k mark, tells me Reaper is counting on Bones II going to at least double the total they got from the first Bones kickstarter. Moreover, as pledgers, we'll probably need to see about 2x the total for the kickstarter in order to get a similar level of value for the base $100 pledge... and with a fair number of future stretch goals going into $50 add-on packs, we may see significantly less anyway.

...Which is maybe expected, Bones I was a crazy-good deal, but it's worth keeping in mind that Bones II promises to be much bigger (in terms of money going to Reaper) but perhaps not much bigger (in terms of models sent to backers) and possibly a lot more expensive (in terms of dollars per model).

Actually, most of the stretch goals in Bones I were either a paid or an expansion, at least at first. It wasn't until it crossed to about $500,000 that they started combining them (I think to help disguise the fact that the distance between free expansions was increasing).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Gonna drop probably 150 bucks on this just to have some fantasy poo poo to paint. WAVE 4 SHIPPING MOTHERFUCKERS

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"More Devils! 2 Lemures, a Bone Devil, a Hellcat, and an Ice Devil..."

I kinda like them.

"One more thing - A lot of you are still pledging and watching through the wee hours of the night, but we've had a really exciting day, raising so much in such a short amount of time, and we're going to be shutting off the lights here at the factory and getting some rest. Tomorrow, we'll come in well rested and regrouped, so that we can tackle the day! We appreciate your patience, and look forward to experiencing more with you tomorrow!"

Translation: even if we break through the next stretch goal of $1M overnight, don't expect to see an update till tomorrow morning.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I don't know if it's just me or what, but the add-ons to Bones II seem MUCH more interesting than the add-ons to Bones I. I have only seen a couple I don't care about.

I have not painted a single one of my Bones I and I'm already going to dump $200 at least on this :gogtears:

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
There's some dice showing up on the funding path pics now. They seem to be counting down. Think there's any significance there?

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

They are going to hit $1M less than 18 hours from the kickoff.

I actually wonder if this one will have the legs the first bones did. I backed Bones 1 on the first day shortly before they hit the first stretch goal and the growth was steady throughout the campaign with a huge push in the last few days. We're obviously going to see some kind of slowdown, but I'll be curious to see what to what degree. Is a $100k stretch goal a day achievable?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Does anyone recall who made the single-page picture for Bones I's Vampire package, with mouse-over crosslinks to the corresponding products on the Reaper website? Have they (or someone else) started on a similar project for Bones II? Am I jumping the gun?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Eyespy posted:

I actually wonder if this one will have the legs the first bones did. I backed Bones 1 on the first day shortly before they hit the first stretch goal and the growth was steady throughout the campaign with a huge push in the last few days. We're obviously going to see some kind of slowdown, but I'll be curious to see what to what degree. Is a $100k stretch goal a day achievable?

I think one of the genius things about the previous Bones Kickstarter was that the stretch goals encouraged both new people (more free stuff if you get vampire!) and encouraged the old backers to add more money with the additional options. This will undoubtedly slow, but I also imagine there'll be a huge surge towards the end when people add more money once towards the end, like during the last 48 hours after the reminder, instead of upping their pledge everyday.

Then again I think this one's a bit front loaded since people loved the hell out of Bones 1 and once they heard about this, they probably pledged immediately.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Eyespy posted:

My guess? It will follow a much more typical Kickstarter curve. Last time, we saw a fairly steady growth, with few dead times. This was because you had a lot more people either hearing about the KS or making their decision along the way. This time, we're seeing a more explosive first day growth. I suspect we'll see a mid-project slump, and another boost at the end. I'm thinking it will still definitely break the last project's tally, and end somewhere around five million or so.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Does anyone recall who made the single-page picture for Bones I's Vampire package, with mouse-over crosslinks to the corresponding products on the Reaper website? Have they (or someone else) started on a similar project for Bones II? Am I jumping the gun?

I think you mean this, and yeah, <24 hours is probably jumping the gun. Give it a week, I'm sure there will be something similar.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Dagon posted:

I think you mean this, and yeah, <24 hours is probably jumping the gun. Give it a week, I'm sure there will be something similar.

That was it, thanks! ...And yeah, I guess I'm getting a bit twitchy for new plastic mans. (I'm actually curious because some of the models in the "Expansion Option" look more enticing than others, and I'm wondering if they're available now in metal. Because I definitely don't have enough tonnage of unpainted miniatures on my desk right now.)

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
In on Wave 3 :dance:

I've a feeling I'm going to spend a lot more this time - the addons released so far are much more appealing to me. Last time I got all of the ones I was interested in and only got 5 (+ 2 more by trading in sophie). Going to chuck an extra 100 bucks onto my pledge tonight as the must haves so far are about 50 bucks, there are bound to be loads more.
The set exapansion could be a good idea - depends on how many figures are in the stretch goals for the expansion.
Need to be careful though as internatinal shipping could be a fair bit, but my Bones 1 package wasn't as heavy or bulky as I thought it was going to be.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dr. Gargunza posted:

That was it, thanks! ...And yeah, I guess I'm getting a bit twitchy for new plastic mans. (I'm actually curious because some of the models in the "Expansion Option" look more enticing than others, and I'm wondering if they're available now in metal. Because I definitely don't have enough tonnage of unpainted miniatures on my desk right now.)

The dragon turtle, mountain troll, and stone giant are, definitely. Not sure about the others. You can try using their figure finder to see if you can get the right model.

Eyespy
Dec 20, 2004

When I talk about the doomed, the scum, the people who no longer give a shit...When I talk about the filth of the city...I'm talking about you.

:siren: One Million Dollars!:siren:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Leperflesh posted:

I know Reaper has a LOT of dragons, but really how many dragons are you gonna paint up and use? Do you have a game that is just your heroes against like ten dragons, and each one has to be represented with a different model? I guess if you need a green dragon you need Blightfang here because you can't have a red dragon representing a green dragon, that'd be crazy.

A) People love big dragon minis, just from a collector standpoint.
B) Warhammer Fantasy. If you say wanted a different looking dragon for a Chaos Dragon as opposed to a High Elf one.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah, there are a surprisingly large number of people out there that will buy just about anything if it's got a dragon on it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Someone was asking about the case earlier. In the comments, they mentioned it's the same case as last time, just with different, thicker foam inserts, based on feedback they got on the first case.

Hopefully better glue as well.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

B) Warhammer Fantasy. If you say wanted a different looking dragon for a Chaos Dragon as opposed to a High Elf one.

OK I guess so. I mean, I play warhammer fantasy, and nobody brings more than one dragon in their army, so I could see needing a different dragon for your army adding up to exactly one (1) Bones dragon on your add-on list. So if you don't like Narthrax, I guess go for the one in the $50 add-on.

But Bones 1 had like a half-dozen dragons as add-ons, too. I guess you're right, people just love them some dragons.

e. depending on how you count, 8 to 10 add-on dragons: Ebonwrath, Deathsleet, There Be Dragons (2 dragons), Clockwork Dragon, Pathfinder Red Dragon, Jabberwock (is pretty dragonish), Nethyrmaul, a Hydra (a special kind of dragon), and Kaladrax.

Maybe what gets me is that compared to most of the above dragons, the dragon in the $50 Bones II option is just totally uninspired and boring. It's like, yup, that's a dragon there. It has wings and scales and a head with some horns and it is being a dragon. Compare it to the Pathfinder Red Dragon or even There Be Dragons (the two most boring of the Bones I dragons) and it's pretty drat boring.

...I bet Reaper is holding out for much later tiers with big crazy models that will blow me away. They need something like Nethyrmaul or Kaladrax (but not a dragon) to really excite folks, maybe in five or ten days when the mid-KS lull sets in.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 2, 2013

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Well here's a screen shot I took from their video on the kickstarter page:

It looks like some kind of bones terrain is coming up sometime. That can't be just a ridiculous base for a dragon, as it has an interior. It looks like some kind of ruined circular tower, in multiple pieces(?)

I'm not too excited by it, because I already make my own terrain and dungeon tiles with foamcore, Hirst Arts and other stuff, but we'll see exactly what they've got in store eventually.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Ravendas posted:

I'm not too excited by it, because I already make my own terrain and dungeon tiles with foamcore, Hirst Arts and other stuff, but we'll see exactly what they've got in store eventually.

Terrain made out of bones plastic would be pretty nice though, lightweight, rugged, easy to paint and modify. If they made modular pieces that could be fit together to form larger features that would be a big hit.

One thing I would really like to see is conversion pieces in bones plastic. Reaper has a bunch of sets of weapons, helmets and other items in their metal line that I'd like to see available in plastic.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I was hoping it would get to 1.086mil before work started for them in the morning. Was hoping for a double update overnight, but it doesn't look like it's going to hit that just yet.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Reaper providing the numbers on how the earnings from Bones 1 were spent:

Pretty interesting!

e: in comments, they're saying that 10% of the costs were shipping, but they only collected 3% of what they should have, so lost 10%. This helps explain why they're charging actual shipping cost for Canada and everywhere else, when I think Canada had free shipping last time. (I've heard of lots of shipping costs to Canada before)

Also, "CA/ROW -- about 25% of the backers -- cost about 70% of the shipping number." wowsers

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 2, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
"Operations, Insurance, and Dumb rear end Taxes" :argh:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Apparently "Dumbass Taxes" is code for "stuff we did that was stupid and cost us way more than it should have".

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

They are in Texas. They probably just have a dim view on taxes in general.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Egyptian expansion to the core set option is actually pretty nice. I might end up going for it if the other expansion us culturally themed too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Heh, I kinda liked 'dumbass taxes' too.

I got an answer about international shippping. It was 'were going to have a calculator up soon to tell you how much it'll cost depending on what you pledge'. Which is not espeially re-assuring. I'm at the point where I probably will pick and choose what I want when they're out in retail, or try and get individual models on the resale market, rather than actually pitching into the KS. I already have masses of models I don't need, I don't need masses more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, here's what we've got this morning:

I really want those egyptian dudes, they'll work as counts-as-something in my Tomb Kings warhammer army. Dunno if I'd go $50 for that set yet though.

A dragon. Well, a much more interesting dragon than the one I was pissing and moaning about last night, but still, it's a dragon, and it's an add on, so neither of the last two stretch goals enhanced the $100 core. I really hope the next one does.

e. it's a bigger dragon at least. Sir Forscale there is hosed.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 2, 2013

• Locked thread