Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odette
Mar 19, 2011

ExplodingSquid posted:

How are you Aussie/NZ PS3 goons going with it? I still can't access. :/

Ditto. I try every now and then, but I know it's going to be down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Bubba Smith posted:

Have you ever thought of clicking the "Play GTA Online" option and seeing if it then prompts you with... more options?

Well no

No I did not

:(

*ed*

Ahh it just loving forces me back in to the race anyway, whats the point

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I am really hating how now all of my friends have completed the loving tutorial but I can't even get past the first loving race.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Online is working great for me right now. Just finished up a 9 player bike race and had a blast. I don't know why it's working well for some and not at all for others but it's fun when it works!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

PantsBandit posted:

Online is working great for me right now. Just finished up a 9 player bike race and had a blast. I don't know why it's working well for some and not at all for others but it's fun when it works!

It's 12:30 on the east coast so it'll probably start petering out a little as time goes on.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Got online for a few hours earlier, got up to lvl 6, tried to do a Mission with two random dudes who I was rolling around with and I got an "error loading mission" tried a few times it wouldnt work, ended up spectating by rejoining their game from the Xbox menu.

Exited out, corrupted character file, great.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
This game would have sold a ton of copies without online features luring buyers. I wonder if they should have kept it a secret and enjoyed a very long beta test and load test while the rest of us happily enjoyed the single player. And then they announce it while we already have been playing the single player game a bit.

Ah well.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I really wouldn't get your hopes up by staying up too late, at least for the PS3 version.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Welp. Got to create my character and watch the cutscene, but then got stuck on Launching Session for the intro race. I'm occasionally hearing odd static that sounds like it's coming from someone with a mic that isn't functioning properly. If I drop back to my dash at this point will it rollback my character?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Every time I meet up with some goons in game, they kill me. :(

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Welp. Got to create my character and watch the cutscene, but then got stuck on Launching Session for the intro race. I'm occasionally hearing odd static that sounds like it's coming from someone with a mic that isn't functioning properly. If I drop back to my dash at this point will it rollback my character?

Maybe? I exited out from there repeatedly all day with a single character but sometime after I had made a second one, my first one disappeared. At this time I would not treat any of your characters as too precious.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

PantsBandit posted:

We're going to have to live vicariously through you, so a question: how do parties/friends/crews chat work when teaming up? Do you select others to join you from your friends list or crews?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Faltese Malkin posted:

I called the three characters together for a rampage. It was awesome and there's an achievement/trophy tied to it, too.

Edit: we went into Balla territory to show them what's up :smuggo:

Holy poo poo you can do this? Why have I not known about this earlier? Is it just a matter of inviting one of the main characters to hang out and then calling in the third? Then what? Just start killing random San Andreans?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Smuckles posted:

This game would have sold a ton of copies without online features luring buyers. I wonder if they should have kept it a secret and enjoyed a very long beta test and load test while the rest of us happily enjoyed the single player. And then they announce it while we already have been playing the single player game a bit.

Ah well.

That online trailer is the 4th most popular video on Rockstar's Youtube, behind the 2 trailers and gameplay video. I'm sure it was a big selling point for a lot of people, because GTA for most people was a game you play for a while and then put down forever.

But even if they did keep it a surprise and the game sold just as well, a secret beta test would be even less effective at stress testing the network.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Now the race cutscene is looping constantly for me, followed by looking for players, then back to the cutscene. :ughh:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Haha, my new thing that I love doing is using the helicopter to bring ALL law enforcement to the city to unleash on all the players driving around down on the ground trying to hide. While listening to people yell at me to figure out where I got the helicopter :)

akula
Oct 24, 2004

total noob here re: rockstar multiplayer games

Whats the easiest way for a buddy and I to play together? Join a crew? Does he need to do that on the Social Club? once were in the same crew how does he "follow me" when I join a game?

I'm also wondering if he will follow me when I get bounced around from mission to mission.. finally, if we use xbox live voice chat will that mute the other players in the game or will it be a mess of 10 people talking at once.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I keep trying the normal online mode. I had one weird game where it loaded up and didn't spawn the tutorial race circle. I could run around the entire city and jack any car that wasn't in the race parking lot. The entire time Franklin's voice kept yelling at me to go "that way."

Every once in a while a GPS route to the general vicinity of the race area would pop up on my map and then vanish. I beat several of the people waiting in line to death and the cops showed up, but the people sitting in cars in the parking lot were impervious to bullets. I could punch their cars, though.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

Cojawfee posted:

You're the leader of the xbox crew though right? Ingrates.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Or don't have mics so we sit in a car and don't do poo poo

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Wake_N_Bake posted:

We're going to have to live vicariously through you, so a question: how do parties/friends/crews chat work when teaming up? Do you select others to join you from your friends list or crews?

As far as I could tell, the only way to team up in game was through voice chat and crew identification. You can set your chat to Crew + Friends so you can't hear any of the pubbies talking(not sure if they can hear me) and you can use Highlight Player to highlight all the people in your crew. There didn't seem to be an official way to group up and keep track of everyone in free roam. Once the Jobs start working properly, you could invite your crewmates on missions and Jobs and just do those with them and not invite the public people. Right now, entering any of the blue areas is risking your connection, and it sounds like, possibly your character.

Voicechat is 100% required to coordinate. If you're not willing to use it, then there's no point in you being in one of the goon crews because you can't communicate with us in any meaningful way.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Finally got my character to get saved and went through the intro, but of course can't play the race on the PS3 version. It wouldn't be so bad if it gave a error, but I hate how it boots you back to single player, forcing you to sit through Michael perform some random action before being able to try loading Online mode again.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Wake_N_Bake posted:

I haven't really messed with any of this yet but I'm pretty sure when you're in free roam you can choose to invite anyone from your friends list/crew and they'll show up as a different colored dot on your mini map. Also the game just soft locked on me so I guess it's not completely bug free over here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

akula posted:

total noob here re: rockstar multiplayer games

Whats the easiest way for a buddy and I to play together? Join a crew? Does he need to do that on the Social Club? once were in the same crew how does he "follow me" when I join a game?

I'm also wondering if he will follow me when I get bounced around from mission to mission.. finally, if we use xbox live voice chat will that mute the other players in the game or will it be a mess of 10 people talking at once.

Just get into a party with him. You'll only talk to each other in the party. I don't know if he can follow you around. If he joins your session he should be fine. I don't know how things like playlists work out for that though. Once you both join a playlist, you'll stick together. But when you leave, I don't know if it will put you in the same session.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Who on the 360 crew has voice capabilities? All goons I've seen so far don't.

e: I'm Ghettobrook

Diemondj
May 2, 2005

...and the FUCKING full effect!

JGBeagle posted:

I am really hating how now all of my friends have completed the loving tutorial but I can't even get past the first loving race.

I'm in the same boat, except i actually did complete the tutorial but whenever i start online it puts me back at the race... after several hours of trying off and on I finally get into the race *Disconnected from Xbox Live* :smithicide:

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

GTA Online Current Status: watching a pubby drive my mute rear end 3.5 miles

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hell yea.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
Well, no online for me tonight. Maybe tomorrow. I'm going camping this weekend so maybe things will be sorted by Sunday.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
My game is stuck at "Launching Session" in the tutorial race, but stuff is going on around me, so I'm afraid to try and quit and have to start over. :ohdear:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

AndyElusive posted:

Holy poo poo you can do this? Why have I not known about this earlier? Is it just a matter of inviting one of the main characters to hang out and then calling in the third? Then what? Just start killing random San Andreans?

Call other dude 1
Call other dude 2 before picking up 1.

Now you can have the 3 amigos wrecking poo poo together. They also have different things to say based on where you bring them. And also sometimes the other two will have conversations with each other.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
So was there a series of meetings at Rockstar where a team of important people sat down to figure out a character customization system and the consensus was limited grandma simulator? It seems like an odd choice.

Will there be DLC grandmas for more character building options?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

My game is stuck at "Launching Session" in the tutorial race, but stuff is going on around me, so I'm afraid to try and quit and have to start over. :ohdear:

Quit, go to sleep (in real life) wake up tomorrow and hope it's fixed. If not, enjoy a week more of the awesome single player game and then check back with GTA:O once all the kinks have been worked out.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Obsurveyor posted:

Voicechat is 100% required to coordinate. If you're not willing to use it, then there's no point in you being in one of the goon crews because you can't communicate with us in any meaningful way.

This is cool. Time to stock up on batteries for the headset.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Call other dude 1
Call other dude 2 before picking up 1.

Now you can have the 3 amigos wrecking poo poo together. They also have different things to say based on where you bring them. And also sometimes the other two will have conversations with each other.

Doing this as soon as I get home from work.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

miscellaneous14 posted:

When I had to steal a garbage truck for a heist, I got it caught on some rocky terrain and actually got a failure message that said "The garbage truck became stuck". :geno:

I got this within 30 minutes of playing on the either the first or second god drat mission, and never again.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

cornface posted:

So was there a series of meetings at Rockstar where a team of important people sat down to figure out a character customization system and the consensus was limited grandma simulator? It seems like an odd choice.

Will there be DLC grandmas for more character building options?

DLC grandmas would be radical.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
L.A. Noire and Max Payne characters would be nice additions to the character creator.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Awesome, xbox live has decided now is the time to make me enter a third (!!!) contact e-mail/phone and then not send me the verification number. I've tried several different ones and now I have to go to bed.

Thanks for making it easy to cancel live and go back to PS, MS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

RatHat posted:

L.A. Noire and Max Payne characters would be nice additions to the character creator.

And if they can patch in/DLC heritage characters can't they also make the granny pics bigger and easier to see? It's a dumb system but being able to clearly see the faces would make it somewhat less dumb.

• Locked thread