Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Well the SV decided it had enough of its chain-and-sprocket setup and kicked the chain off a section of almost no teeth. Rear stand hadn't gotten here yet, so I just had it towed to the shop to install the new chain and sprockets. Look and feel 4000x better than they were, way smoother. Also sealed up the front spark-plug so it doesn't flood in the wonderful winter Seattle commute. Woo. Next dry day is oil change day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Looked forlornly at it under its cover. Hasn't really stopped raining here for weeks.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Late post from yesterday.

Touched up a chip on the fairing from the previous factory warning sticker removal fiasco. Buffed the touch up paint and clearcoat down and it's hard to notice unless you knew the damage was there before hand. Washed the bike down and cleaned my chain.

Then I brought it home a friend! Wife got a 2003 Ninja 250 that only has 4000 miles on it. It's in great shape. The PO bought it from some college kid that grabbed a handful of front break and gently laid it down. Slight scuff on the fairing and exhaust but otherwise flawless. Cleaned the chain on that too because it was pitch black and looked like it had never seen degreaser.

All in all good day.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Ya know what I did to my ride? I put gas in the fucker, I rode it until it needed more gas, I put more gas in, and I rode it some more. That's loving it. No fixing, adjustments, or tweaks, no putting poo poo on or taking poo poo off, no worries, no work. It seems like forever since I've had a day like that where I could just throw a leg over and get lost... and it was magnificent.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Feels good, doesn't it? :)

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The_Raven posted:

Ya know what I did to my ride? I put gas in the fucker, I rode it until it needed more gas, I put more gas in, and I rode it some more. That's loving it. No fixing, adjustments, or tweaks, no putting poo poo on or taking poo poo off, no worries, no work. It seems like forever since I've had a day like that where I could just throw a leg over and get lost... and it was magnificent.

Wait you can ride these things?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Put mine in storage :(, won't see it again until April.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Kind of a lovely pic, but I put a cafe style seat on my 78 CB750F. I really like the look of the lines and colors (especially with the exhaust wrap), only thing now is to remove the axle-mounted brake light/plate bracket and put one on the cowl, plus turn signals. It's street legal as-is in the meantime though. A huge improvement from the $500 fixer upper I first bought in May:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

FireTora posted:

Put mine in storage :(, won't see it again until April.

I rode in this bike for three years solid (no car) in this place. Yes, even on the 4 degree F days. You pansy. (don't do this I should be dead oh god)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Commuting before dawn: Having to chip the ice off your gauges just so you can read them puts hair on your chest holy gently caress never do this I am surprised I am not dead and/or missing digits

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown
I was riding home yesterday afternoon and someone decided to pull out in front of me causing me to downshift and brake fairly hard
When I released the clutch lever I heard a loud Clang/Bang and assumed it was a backfire because the bike was still fairly cold
I got home and gave the rear end a quick once over to check nothing was broken and I found other than the chain being a little loose, two of the bolts on the rear sprocket were loose
One of the bolts was actually smaller than the others, so no idea what's going on there...
All bolts now tightened up and I'll take the bike to be checked out by my mechanic some time this week

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

I rode in this bike for three years solid (no car) in this place. Yes, even on the 4 degree F days. You pansy. (don't do this I should be dead oh god)

poo poo, that's warm. I'm in the military in Anchorage. They won't let me ride once they ban it on post for the winter in about 2 weeks. Otherwise I'd get some heated gear and studded tires and rock out all year round.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
After 2 years and 18000 miles or so of ownership I replaced the brake pads on my 99 VFR. I can't tell if Honda stupidly decided to use crappy pad retaining screws that aren't meant to come out or are meant to be hammered to hell with an impact driver.

I was wondering what the squeaking noise was under breaking and the pads were decidedly thin :v

Newer pad on top.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

kenny powerzzz posted:

I'm not sure about 536, but 78 and triple nickle are a blast.

Didn't get to 536, but yea, 555, 78 and 278 were all great. 56 however, tastes like crap, made my bike spark and is much tougher than my ankle.

In keeping with the thread, I hobbled out on the crutches and looked at the broken plastic and ground down hand guard, it may be a cheap Emgo, but it did it's job well.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I priced out the parts to fix up my carbs. $650. :smithicide:

But at least I'll have a nice running bike again. :unsmith:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Xovaan posted:

But at least I'll have a nice running bike again. :unsmith:

How many new sets of carbs do you think your bike needs to run?

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Xovaan posted:

By 'fix' do you mean "plate them in platinum"?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

At least seven at this rate

Previous owners didn't change out the gaskets on and around the float bowls so I might as well have it replaced while in there since I'm having the bike tuned after repairs. OEM is $60 x 4 = $260 after tax. Then the Mikuni "needle jet" is a $30 part, of which I need four (the reason the bike is running rich is because the needle wore through this tube) so that's $130 right there. And I'm converting the bike to use stick coils because I haven't done anything interesting to the bike in a while so that's $100 for the Hayabusa coils and harness assembly. Add in shop labor for installation and tuning since I have zero time to do anything now. :smith: They quoted me at 2.5 hours to install and tune the bike with a wideband. They did say that's a pretty high estimate and should be less than that but it still comes out to a decent coin. I'm just trying to do as much preventative maintenance as possible since I wanna start commuting via bike again and don't wanna have to go back into my carbs if something else is already on the verge of needing replacement.

In other news, I did manage to fix my girlfriend's 250. :D She said it was puttering and it died on her and the tank *looked* like it had gas but I guess it didn't so I put gas in it and there you go, fixed bike. I'm a loving expert over here

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Why can't you just buy rebuild kits? Also I've never heard of a needle jet needing replacing - how did you come to this conclusion? Did someone take a drill to them?

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.

Xovaan posted:

Pricepoints
That sucks, man. At least you'll be back on the road with it again soon.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

At least seven at this rate

Previous owners didn't change out the gaskets on and around the float bowls so I might as well have it replaced while in there since I'm having the bike tuned after repairs. OEM is $60 x 4 = $260 after tax. Then the Mikuni "needle jet" is a $30 part, of which I need four (the reason the bike is running rich is because the needle wore through this tube) so that's $130 right there. And I'm converting the bike to use stick coils because I haven't done anything interesting to the bike in a while so that's $100 for the Hayabusa coils and harness assembly. Add in shop labor for installation and tuning since I have zero time to do anything now. :smith: They quoted me at 2.5 hours to install and tune the bike with a wideband. They did say that's a pretty high estimate and should be less than that but it still comes out to a decent coin. I'm just trying to do as much preventative maintenance as possible since I wanna start commuting via bike again and don't wanna have to go back into my carbs if something else is already on the verge of needing replacement.

In other news, I did manage to fix my girlfriend's 250. :D She said it was puttering and it died on her and the tank *looked* like it had gas but I guess it didn't so I put gas in it and there you go, fixed bike. I'm a loving expert over here

But carbs, you see, are just as reliable as EFI and if you just maintain the bike conscientiously like xovaan does then...wait...

I have carbs ohgodkillme.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

n8r posted:

Why can't you just buy rebuild kits? Also I've never heard of a needle jet needing replacing - how did you come to this conclusion? Did someone take a drill to them?

They'll install and tune for the same price as me getting a tune anywhere else, so I might as well just have them do it since they're twice as fast and both people have the same engine and mods that I do. Having that kind of peace of mind is worth it in my opinion.

Basically the tube (called a needle jet, opposite of a jet needle) is rubbed against by the large needle since it's spring loaded. Vibration over time saws through this just enough to cause a richer mixture. Rejetting to stock will fix this since the needle is a larger diameter but doesn't remedy the original problem, which is why it often goes misdiagnosed and ultimately unnoticed.

Here's to being on the road again and carbs :unsmith::hf::smith:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

infraboy posted:

I can't tell if Honda stupidly decided to use crappy pad retaining screws that aren't meant to come out or are meant to be hammered to hell with an impact driver.

Yeah, that design really sucks.
I had a hell of a time with the pad retaining screws on my 93 transalp. Front brake had 2 of them. Soaked them multiple times over a week, but still needed impact driver + heat to get them loose. All in all, just a really crappy design.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
You're just supposed to throw out the assembly and get a new one at your local Honda dealer.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I've heard of the needle jets wearing on FZR600s (according to the few FZR sites I've visited) so it is apparently a thing. I never heard of it on any other type of bike so it must be pretty drat rare.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Needle jets wear down fast with a lot of highway riding. They're held up and vibrate back and forth for hours.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Geirskogul posted:

Needle jets wear down fast with a lot of highway riding. They're held up and vibrate back and forth for hours.

So, how about an aircraft carb? Those things get stuck at constant throttle forever and don't wear out particularly. Is there a reason not to use updraft carbs on a bike (besides having to set the mixture by hand all the time)?

edit: of course: only one circuit. Sucks at anything except WOT or close to it.

Screw all carbs forever. EFI for life.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So, how about an aircraft carb? Those things get stuck at constant throttle forever and don't wear out particularly. Is there a reason not to use updraft carbs on a bike (besides having to set the mixture by hand all the time)?

Motorcycle carb needles hang fairly freely, unlike larger automotive needles. Different systems.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Broke the front left blinker. :(. Was getting off the bike at Walmart and my pant leg caught the pillion handle and the momentum of me turning and only one leg on the ground, with a full backpack, I lost all balance and I tumbled over. It landed on me kinda, 2 people jumped over to help but I couldn't tell if they caught it or not. Broken blinker, scratched mirror plastic, and that's it. There's a tiny scuff on the tank but it was rubbing off. Brand new, CBR500R, owned 90 days. It was bound to happen, thankfully it wasn't any worse.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Carbs: letting people down since the battle of Britain.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Virtually all motorcycle carbs have a slide with a needle, quite a few other types of engines have no slides or needles. Many just have a butterfly.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

No they don't. It's large intake pressure fluctuations that's hard on them. Big bore singles at idle or low RPMs wears them down pretty fast, while highway riding with a pretty constant intake pressure won't wear much on the emulsion tubes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sir Cornelius posted:

No they don't. It's large intake pressure fluctuations that's hard on them. Big bore singles at idle or low RPMs wears them down pretty fast, while highway riding with a pretty constant intake pressure won't wear much on the emulsion tubes.

Xovaan posted:

Took my bike to a shop today. :smith: Poway Motorcycles is loving legit though. The service counter guy had a Katana with a GSXR1100 motor with the same bore kit my bike has and the tech races a 400lb fuel injected ZZR1200 pushing 160whp/100tq but ANYWAY

Compression test was perfect along all cylinders so no need for a leakdown. He said the oil burning issue was likely either due to the piston rings potentially being installed upside down or the rich condition dissolving the oil as the oil lubricates the cylinder walls. He put the analysis machine on and revved it and found where the rich spike was happening and immediately said it was a worn jet needle (not to be confused with a needle jet, or vice versa. Or something.) which is apparently completely common on high mileage bikes with a lot of freeway play. Unfortunately they're $28 each and there's four of them, but it's only half the price of a rejet and he says he'll tune it for me while it's there. Petcock was leaking and the guy said he'd sell me his old one for $50 since a new one is $140. :)

He's also gonna convert my bike to Hayabusa coil sticks with his custom wiring harness while he's in the engine area-- all I have to do is pay for the wires and parts. Can't wait to get this poo poo a reliable daily driver again! :black101:

From a few pages ago. Yes, constant use and pressure wears them down, but free hanging needle jets (they always have quite a bit of sideways play) do wear down over many highway miles. I have friends with 100K+ Goldwings that have experienced similar.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Geirskogul posted:

From a few pages ago. Yes, constant use and pressure wears them down, but free hanging needle jets (they always have quite a bit of sideways play) do wear down over many highway miles. I have friends with 100K+ Goldwings that have experienced similar.

I don't see where you contradict what I said. 100K miles is pretty low wear. On a large thumper that mostly experience low RPMs you'll see similar wear at 10K miles.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Carbs: letting people down since the battle of Britain.

And yet without carbed Merlin engines we'd never have had Miss Shilling's Orifice, which so many brave young men of the RAF experienced and were grateful for.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And yet without carbed Merlin engines we'd never have had Miss Shilling's Orifice, which so many brave young men of the RAF experienced and were grateful for.

And what a magnificient orifice it was :britain:

E: I didn't do anything to my ride(s) today, but I did mod my helmet. I added a couple of strips of black electrical tape to the top of my visor. It made a huge difference in comfort now that I'm not completely blinded by the low-hanging October sun anymore.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 3, 2013

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/needle_jet_wear.html

So yeah, I guess this is common. I'm just surprised most rejet kits don't come with emulsion tubes or tell people to replace them too. :psyduck:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Put brand new sprockets and a fancy gold DID x-ring chain on the DRZ today with the help of a buddy. Thankfully he was there, because my cooler makes a pretty lovely dirt bike stand. No real damage due to blowing up the previous chain other than a small gouge in the case right where the splined clutch rod goes down and a cracked plastic countershaft cover. Time for a fancy Zeta aluminum unit I guess. I definitely lucked out though, looking at that little gouge that could have been the end of the season for me really makes me thankful.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Mounted up a new Dunlop BT016 on the rear, it was past time. They're supposed to be good tires for the money, guess I'll find out. The previous Michelin Power Pure was damned good but I can't find them anymore. I got somewhere around 5000 miles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

But carbs, you see, are just as reliable as EFI and if you just maintain the bike conscientiously like xovaan does then...wait...

I have carbs ohgodkillme.

The trick, in my book, is less than three.

My XS750's carb refresh has been on indefinite hold for reasons I cannot fathom... I should put those two last pieces into them, bench sync them, and get that bike going/sold. I could use sold bike money for a weber side draft intake set up or an engine for that stupid rotary nightmare I just bought.