Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So Japan is getting a seafaring bonus too now? I like that.

The real impressive thing here is that being culturally dominant on other nations lets you conquer them more easily. That's actually pretty goddamn cool, it means that I can play Napoleon as he was intended to be: the warrior-artist! Yeaaaah!

It also means that cultural victory as Autocracy just got a lot sweeter too, especially with the boost to Futurism.

Germany becoming an industrial powerhouse the more trade routes they've got is pretty fascinating too.

Landsnekts being purchaseable for anyone who uses Commerce...fitting, since they were mercenaries. This should mean that Venice and other trader-civs will have a lot of them!

EDIT:

Diplomacy/Espionage
Familiar: Just 1 turn to Establish Surveillance in influenced civ's cities
Popular: Surveillance boost (from above) plus Spies operate at an effective rank 1 level higher than actual rank in influenced civ's allied city states
Influential: Surveillance boost (from above) plus Spies operate at an effective rank 1 levels higher than actual rank in influenced civ's cities and allied city states
Dominant: Surveillance boost (from above) plus Spies operate at an effective rank 2 levels higher than actual rank in influenced civ's cities and allied city states

Daaaamn, that's wonderful, spies get better with more cultural dominance too? LOVE IT.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Celestatiune posted:

I really wish they'd take the time to write Civ-specific dialogues for becoming influential with them, like when you wipe them out or when they've decided to group up and declare war on you just because you went and conquered half the planet. They spent all this time on the new culture mechanic and the stupid pop music and blue jeans thing just feels so unsatisfying.

Yeah I agree. The Pop Music thing doesn't bother me since Pop music is defined by what's popular. If in this alternate reality Babylonian Akkadian Metal was a huge fad, that'd be "Pop Music" but the blue jeans thing...yeah it isn't as general other than as a generic "mass produced" concept, and even then I think they could do better.

Could it be modded? Probably not since it's a generic message.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also no changes to the expansion AI, so I still fully expect them to poo poo out insane numbers of totally useless cities in the arctic or across one tile islands.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also no changes to the expansion AI, so I still fully expect them to poo poo out insane numbers of totally useless cities in the arctic or across one tile islands.

Pretty sure that's what this is referencing:

quote:

Changed MINIMUM_SETTLE_FERTILITY to 20000, up from 5000 to keep AI civs from settling worthless plots. Added some logging code to track plot values.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

This seemed relevant in the patch notes, is that not the case?

quote:

Changed MINIMUM_SETTLE_FERTILITY to 20000, up from 5000 to keep AI civs from settling worthless plots. Added some logging code to track plot values.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

... Sorry. Why was that under Great Admiral AI? Oh well, I'm happy for that, at least.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

At this point you kind of wonder why they bothered putting America in the game. It's easily the worst civ in the game--not even in a "well, someone has to be the worst" sense but in a "wow, this civ is horrible" sense--and Firaxis isn't interested in doing anything about it. Eh.

Geight posted:

Since these are beta notes does that imply that they aren't the final draft and subject to change? I'd be surprised if they went another patch without doing anything for America since I could've sworn they explicitly mentioned them.

They didn't document it in the notes, but the minuteman now gets points toward golden ages from victories in addition to its current promotions of ignoring terrain cost, drill 1, and +1 sight.

Very good unit now, in my opinion. Once you get minutemen, you can war hard enough to get your economy into a position to extend the war; maybe even extend it enough to expand your empire from sea to sea.

I've always liked America. I think people give it a bad wrap. They have a passive war bonus with their extra sight; and their UUs are good, spread out perfectly, and on useful tech paths. Other civs may excel at war more for short periods, but I believe that America has the best average war score if you divide it over the entire game.

Edit: Also, the B17 never goes obsolete. It upgrades to a stealth bomber, but even once the stealth bomber is available, you can still build B17s, and upgrade them to give your new stealth bomber the B17's siege promotion. Don't remember if the B17's evasion promotion adds to the stealth's at all though.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 1, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Human Crouton posted:

They didn't document it in the notes, but the minuteman now gets points toward golden ages from victories in addition to its current promotions of ignoring terrain cost, drill 1, and +1 sight.

Very good unit now, in my opinion. Once you get minutemen, you can war hard enough to get your economy into a position to extend the war; maybe even extend it enough to expand your empire from sea to sea.

I've always liked America. I think people give it a bad wrap. They have a passive war bonus with their extra sight; and their UUs are good, spread out perfectly, and on useful tech paths. Other civs may excel at war more for short periods, but I believe that America has the best average war score if you divide it over the entire game.

So minutemen are like the UU from Brazil?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So minutemen are like the UU from Brazil?

Yes. It makes Brazil's UU a little less unique, but I like it because they come at very different times.

America's UU will enhance your production and economy right when you should be starting a very long war as them.

Brazil's UU isn't really meant to be used to start a war since it has no actual combat bonuses, and comes at a time where it can stick around longer to sell your tourism to other people.

I think that they made a pretty simple change that didn't really step on any other civ's toes.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 1, 2013

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

If I install the beta patch, will that screw up my GiantMultiplayerRobot game?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oooh, I thought of an ability or possible UA that could be in the game. Not sure if it'd be a Policy or just unique to Spain, but: "Fifth Column." If you have a spy in an enemy city, its combat strength gets lowered.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I wonder if I can get the Pitboss server going on an EC2 Micro instance with WINE.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

SlightlyMadman posted:

If I install the beta patch, will that screw up my GiantMultiplayerRobot game?

Probably yes, everyone has to have the same version to load and play the save. There's often a bit of chaos after a patch drops.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

... Sorry. Why was that under Great Admiral AI? Oh well, I'm happy for that, at least.

When I copied it, it removed all the double line breaks and bullet points, and I missed separating some things back out. That particular one is actually

Patch Notes posted:

Great Admiral AI
- Great Admiral AI: The AI now takes advantage of the Transfer Port move to get Great Admirals out of dangerous cities and into the largest bodies of water
- Great Admiral AI: Have the AI send Great Admirals out with more naval operations; have them stack with friendly units like Great Generals do on land.
- Great Admiral AI: Improve the operational movement code for admirals to get to their targets

so that's my fault, not Firaxis'. Sorry!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

KKKlean Energy posted:

Probably yes, everyone has to have the same version to load and play the save. There's often a bit of chaos after a patch drops.

Makes sense, as long as it will work out when we all get the patch on steam.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Hanse with Petra and the Colossus feels like cheating, holy poo poo. Even without this seems like it could be pretty fierce.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I read that as only the cities with Hanses (Hansen?) receive the production bonuses. The bonus is calculated from the total number of trade routes with city states in your entire empire.

Oh, that makes more sense. I was thinking it was 5% empire wide production for every city state trade route ending in a city with a Hanse.

Still, either way, you're gonna end up with 5% empire wide production per city state trade route anyways because why would you not build it? It's a bank, it costs nothing and gives both money and basically free production.

Edit to avoid doublepost:

They didn't document it in the notes, but now that Landsknechts are policy units, they got buffed. No movement cost to pillage and double plunder from taking cities.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 1, 2013

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

quote:

But who will plop down cities in the snow next to one tile of stone now? :negative: I don't know if I can play a game without stamping out the dozen or so arctic snow and ice cities. So much will change.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So what are peoples' post-patch impressions of the early game AI? One thing I noticed was that on Emperor the AI didn't finish the Great Library until turn 69. That's extremely late. I wonder if that's just a coincidence or if the AI has different early game priorities that makes them delay wonder building. Another thing I noticed: Washington had their second city within the first 20 turns, they must have made a Settler their second build. I don't think I've ever seen that before. There are no early wars despite be really aggressively forward settling on Montezuma. He responded by sending me a trade route. The patch notes mentioned a tweak or two to help AI declare war early but I'm not seeing that in action. But also, this is a sample size of one and Civ is a game that is extremely prone to flukey behavior. Another thing. holy crap, the +food from Bananas, Citrus, and Wheat (Sun God) is insane for jungle starts. Take that pantheon and build a Granary and you can have multiple 5 food tiles 25-30 turns into the game for crazy good early growth.
Final note: I started as Japan and am on a coast with no sea resources for miles. :negative:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Bummer. I was holding out for a Swiss DLC civ that would have a special bank and mercenary mechanic.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

So what are peoples' post-patch impressions of the early game AI? One thing I noticed was that on Emperor the AI didn't finish the Great Library until turn 69. That's extremely late. I wonder if that's just a coincidence or if the AI has different early game priorities that makes them delay wonder building. Another thing I noticed: Washington had their second city within the first 20 turns, they must have made a Settler their second build. I don't think I've ever seen that before. There are no early wars despite be really aggressively forward settling on Montezuma. He responded by sending me a trade route. The patch notes mentioned a tweak or two to help AI declare war early but I'm not seeing that in action. But also, this is a sample size of one and Civ is a game that is extremely prone to flukey behavior. Another thing. holy crap, the +food from Bananas, Citrus, and Wheat (Sun God) is insane for jungle starts. Take that pantheon and build a Granary and you can have multiple 5 food tiles 25-30 turns into the game for crazy good early growth.
Final note: I started as Japan and am on a coast with no sea resources for miles. :negative:

This happened to me too :smith:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

AI has appoached me many times with some creative luxury trades. Pretty cool.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Does patching mess up games in progress? I just started a Babylon run, and I'm in a really strong position, provided I can hold Shaka back.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

AI has appoached me many times with some creative luxury trades. Pretty cool.

I got approached on like turn 15 by Washington looking to sell his embassy for a gpt. That was pretty cool. I've been playing sloppy and am super slow in hooking up my luxuries so I haven't really seen any trade offers yet.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I had Dandolo and Pablo both offer trades for my extra copper resource on the same turn, but an early war against a super close Netherlands still saw their entire army absent for the siege of their capital.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The balance patch hasn't hit OSX yet, but it'll probably kick in within a week or two. Looking forward to playing my first Japan game in forever.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This is also great news for the Goon Civ MP group. We have been yearning for a lo of those MP inprovements there, such as being able to pick the Civ you are joining in as when joining in progress.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Speedball posted:

The balance patch hasn't hit OSX yet, but it'll probably kick in within a week or two. Looking forward to playing my first Japan game in forever.

I played a partial game as Japan today, and it was really fun. The culture boost along with the honor opener allowed me to shoot through honor quickly and terrorize my continent with samurai.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I am definitely digging the random approaches to trade for or buy my luxuries. The AI is really possessive of Open Borders now, though, if you have any early tourism whatsoever.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Useless cities? I don't know what your talking about. This is a perfectly good city:

I mean, sure, the AI managed to place that city in the one place where it's coastal status would be of zero use, and 2 tiles away from a river so they don't even get that bonus. In a predominantly snow covered area that has already largely been taken up by a CS...

But they totally got that 1 coal, and 1 fish (they won't be able to develop).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HappyHelmet posted:

Useless cities? I don't know what your talking about. This is a perfectly good city:

I mean, sure, the AI managed to place that city in the one place where it's coastal status would be of zero use, and 2 tiles away from a river so they don't even get that bonus. In a predominantly snow covered area that has already largely been taken up by a CS...

But they totally got that 1 coal, and 1 fish (they won't be able to develop).

That city is way better than what the average arctic AI city used to be. It can actually grow and do some things, even if they aren't significant things. This is what I usually saw: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558848&pagenumber=190&perpage=40#post419570727

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I guess well have to see how frequent it is. The occasional odd "bad" city is still gonna happen. What matters is it's not as ridiculously chronic as it was before.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is this live now, or are you guys using the beta thingie? Also, is this final? I'm really surprised they haven't made more changes to the civs than they have now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Is this live now, or are you guys using the beta thingie? Also, is this final? I'm really surprised they haven't made more changes to the civs than they have now.

We're using the beta patch. Right click the game in steam, go to properties, go to the beta tab, and put in publicbetaplease as the password and it gives you access to the public beta. Firaxis says the balance changes are final, they won't make any other alterations to it. The beta is for bug finding and fixing.

I suspect outside of any possible hotfixes, this will be the last time Firaxis ever touches Civ V. Feels like they could have done a lot more.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

That city is way better than what the average arctic AI city used to be. It can actually grow and do some things, even if they aren't significant things. This is what I usually saw: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558848&pagenumber=190&perpage=40#post419570727

The city I posted just amused me because if they had built it just 1 tile to the right it wouldn't have been completely terrible. As it would have been a river city with viable coastal access. Instead they put the city in the one possible spot where the city wasn't on the river, and was blockaded by ice flows :downs:.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I guess well have to see how frequent it is. The occasional odd "bad" city is still gonna happen. What matters is it's not as ridiculously chronic as it was before.

Well the big thing is it looks like they toned down the willingness for the AI to make new cities. So hopefully we'll see less situations where the AIs are building cities just for the sake of building cities.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Arg! What is the point of buying votes if the AI can double dip and vote yea and nay on the same ballot?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Arg! What is the point of buying votes if the AI can double dip and vote yea and nay on the same ballot?
It's so you can get them to nullify themselves. AIs will even vote against their own proposals if you ask unless they really hate you.

That scrounging rear end in a top hat who keeps begging for Scholars in Residence? gently caress him, nullify his vote without taking the diplomatic penalty of leveraging your 30 votes from City States against his lovely proposal.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Ah now in the same game Maria is drinking my Prora milkshake. I went hard on tourism as early as possible, going wide with Byzantium and taking monasteries, cathedrals, and pagodas plus the reformation belief giving them tourism points. Worked well enough that after I took autocracy the second civ to reach an ideology also took it and then beat me to flight.

This feels like one of those games I know I'll win eventually but don't really want to bother.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
This is a relatively minor complaint, but one thing I wish they would have added to this game was the ability to specify the amount of Civs to a continent there are like you could in Civ 4. On continents maps it seems like 70-80% of the time you end up with the majority of Civs on one giant borderline Pangaea with a couple Civs on a smaller token continent. I know it's supposed to be replicating earth or whatever, but it often ends up being unbalanced in my games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Eric the Mauve posted:

So loving stupid and aggravating. There should be no warmonger penalty in this case.

While I feel your pain, this actually makes some sense. Take the example of when the Soviets rolled into Berlin. Did America become their BFF? What happens is that the common enemy is now dead, and the other guy on your 'side' now has a giant army and knows how to use it. That's a genuinely concerning situation.

• Locked thread