Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SirSamVimes posted:

It was my second or third Hardmode night. Maybe it's programmed to give you one early boss to gently caress you up? If so, that's the best thing.

I haven't seen any of those messages yet, though random trash mobs keep dropping hardmode boss spawning items. I thought it was a glitch that I got a Mechanical Worm from a Hellbat, but then an Armored Skeleton dropped a Mechanical Skull. :psyduck:

So how do you get the mushroom NPC? I've seen comments about wandering around hardmode mushroom patches, but that's not doing anything...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there a way to advance time or anything? There's nothing worse than waiting ten minutes just to fight a boss at night. I'm literally just standing on the dungeon running back and forth waiting for skeletron.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Dizz posted:

In a world with Copper, Lead, Tungsten, and Platinum, it seems like Iron, Silver, and Gold got replaced. Does this mean I can't build specific things like a Sawmill since it requires Iron?

Those are alternative ores. They'll pretty much replace the old ores. They're slightly better than the old ores, but not much else to them. And some recipes are interchangeable. Like a recipe that requires iron bars, you can also use lead bars for. That's not the case for all recipes though. Eye of Cthulhu is pretty much the first boss you should take on. Not sure if the spiked balls will help much with that.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

KataraniSword posted:

So how do you get the mushroom NPC? I've seen comments about wandering around hardmode mushroom patches, but that's not doing anything...

What worked for me: Build a house in a mushroom biome

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I have the same problem with this I have with Minecraft; I know that out there in the world there's so much crap to see and do, I just have trouble getting past the first steps where it seems all I'm doing is searching for Iron Ore. What should I be focussing on at the start?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I spent the evening in front of the dungeon with my Boomstick waiting for night to arrive so I could start my Skeletron fight. As soon as I click on Curse I see a message pop up informing me that a "Blood Moon is Rising" Fighting both Skeletron and a horde of bloodthirsty eyeball/zombies was the most :black101: thing that's happened so far for me.

I love my Boomstick, I love it so much.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pierson posted:

I have the same problem with this I have with Minecraft; I know that out there in the world there's so much crap to see and do, I just have trouble getting past the first steps where it seems all I'm doing is searching for Iron Ore. What should I be focussing on at the start?

At the start? Finding iron ore. :v:

Okay seriously, you want to start digging around and finding caves. That's the same advice as in minecraft, but in Terraria it's even more important. You want iron (lead), silver (tungsten) and gold (platinum). Your first priority is always making better pickaxes, then weapons, then armour. You also want to keep an eye out for crystal hearts which you break open for a permanent health upgrade and gold chests which contain goodies such as boomerangs, double jumps, and more. You also want to harvest all the gems you see, as when you either get fifteen gems or one hook (rare drop from skeletons), you can make a grappling hook.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

Pierson posted:

My #1 goal is to scour the nearby surface during the day, chopping trees as I go. I then build a house on or nearby an underground entrance. My #2 goal is to get the shittiest armor and a not-so-lovely weapon built. My #3 goal is to dive deep and get the parts for a grappling hook. Everything else from there is just freedom.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Also, make liberal use of the Wiki. Knowing how to summon Meteorites is pretty handy since iirc you either need a meteorite to make a demon-pick, or vice versa, and one of those two is the tier after gold, which you'll actually get to pretty quickly.

Stone is always, always useful. I personally like the appearance of Gray Brick over normal stone, and the fact that we can now paint stuff means I can't wait to play some 1.2 oh boy oh man

Stone doors? Gray Brick Doors?! Are they possible??

bij
Feb 24, 2007

There's a cheesy tactic you can employ to skip some grind in hard mode:
Camp the entrance of the dungeon with a decently damaging weapon and farm Ectoplasm. Once you've got a stack of 18 you can make a Spectre pick that will let you mine Chlorophyte

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tip in hard mode. Any time you see a lava pool, check it for souls of light/night. With the boosted drop rate, there will almost always be some and if you have a lava charm (or lava waders), it's an easy source.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Potential BFF posted:

There's a cheesy tactic you can employ to skip some grind in hard mode:
Camp the entrance of the dungeon with a decently damaging weapon and farm Ectoplasm. Once you've got a stack of 18 you can make a Spectre pick that will let you mine Chlorophyte

You could alternatively kill The Destroyer once and make a Drax out of the hallowed bars. That gives you enough pickaxe power to mine chlorophyte. The camping the dungeon entrance for ectoplasm is a good idea, so thanks.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So, my jungle is sandwiched between two Crimsons. Is it going to become entirely crimsoned, and am I going to be missing out on anything because of this?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Holy gently caress the Shift key is a godsend. Hold it down to carry a torch/glowstick depending on the environment, click near a block to place a torch, if your mouse is far away it automatically switches to the flare gun (if you have it).

It removes a huge amount of tedium to just be able to shift-click to place a torch instead of actually having to select torches, place one, then switch back.

I'll also point out that hovering over a block will make the shift key switch you to the tool you need to remove that block. Doesn't switch to hammers for backwalls, sadly, but it's still great for reducing tedious switching to your pickaxe and back during construction work.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

So, my jungle is sandwiched between two Crimsons. Is it going to become entirely crimsoned, and am I going to be missing out on anything because of this?

I think Red might have changed how the Hardmode biomes spread to exclude the jungle now? Seeing as how the hardmode underground jungle is a pretty difficult biome and the new hardmode boss requires the underground jungle to spawn.

Coffstah
Dec 23, 2003

Has anyone generated a world with a pyramid since the 1.2.0.1 patch? I've just spent quite some time trying to find one by generating some 15 odd worlds and not a single one of them had a pyramid.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Anyone know what kind of mini-biome this is? Some sort of fungus biome?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Coffstah posted:

Has anyone generated a world with a pyramid since the 1.2.0.1 patch? I've just spent quite some time trying to find one by generating some 15 odd worlds and not a single one of them had a pyramid.

You aren't the only one. I've gone through at least 10 looking for one. Someone earlier said they had found one, but it was mostly buried. Not sure what I'm looking for, I thought there were sand bricks or something?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Machai posted:

Were there spiders and a lot of cobwebs? Looks like a spider nest kind of.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Machai posted:

I think that's just cave moss, it grows a lot in the deeper caverns.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Akett posted:

Were there spiders and a lot of cobwebs? Looks like a spider nest kind of.

There was one nearby, but the big room in the screenshot had none. I just added the torches.

I did find a chest nearby with a

FLARE GUN!!!

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Machai posted:

There was one nearby, but the big room in the screenshot had none. I just added the torches.

FLARE GUN!!!

Holy poo poo it's even more awesome than I imagined :allears:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Machai posted:

FLARE GUN!!!

I don't think it's a biome, I've come across a tiny little cave that had that background just at random. I think it's just for flavor.

Also, hell yeah Flare Gun, I was shooting flares every which way before I realized it used ammo and not mana

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

If your world doesn't have alternative ores, you don't miss anything. They are just reskins, same with crimson/corruption.

The new staffs everyone's raving about apparently require tungsten or tin to make they don't work with the regular metals. The only alternative metal I got was lead :(

I did get the Crimson, though. The Brain of Chthulu was a pretty fun fight, I suppose.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Joshlemagne posted:

The new staffs everyone's raving about apparently require tungsten or tin to make they don't work with the regular metals. The only alternative metal I got was lead :(
The ruby staff requires gold. I'm stuck with the emerald staff for now because my world doesn't have gold and I haven't found enough diamonds for the platinum staff.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Okay, there's definitely something off with how suitable NPC housing is determined now. I just went back to my old worlds and noticed an NPC moved, and the room they used to stay in was deemed unsuitable, despite nothing changing. So I put down a table and a chair, and added another torch, and it was still seen as unsuitable. Any idea what's changed?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Every basic metal in the game has a gem that corresponds to it for stave crafting.

Copper - Amethyst
Tin - Topaz
Silver - Sapphire
Tungsten - Emerald
Gold - Ruby
Platinum - Diamond

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So do the different gem hooks have different reaches, or is the only thing different about them the color?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

Okay, there's definitely something off with how suitable NPC housing is determined now. I just went back to my old worlds and noticed an NPC moved, and the room they used to stay in was deemed unsuitable, despite nothing changing. So I put down a table and a chair, and added another torch, and it was still seen as unsuitable. Any idea what's changed?

I think they require more space now. Rooms I had built that could hold a chair, table and torch were deemed unsuitable, but as soon as I expanded them a few blocks, they were seen as okay.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ashsaber posted:

Chances are it's just a smidge too small, I'd wager, or it uses background walls that weren't player-placed. Try expanding it a little, putting down some wall if it's not already there?

efb :argh:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Ashsaber posted:

Seems to be some really goofy poo poo with accessibility to the outdoors.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

New Terraria update? Woop!

I should probably update my old (made 2 years ago, sheesh) castle with all the new trimmings

and some older iterations

hopefully the world file is still hanging around

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I love your builds, I can't wait to see what you can do with all the new decorative stuff added. I'm still stuck with too utilitarian things, but there's so much new decoration even I have been branching out into actual good looking buildings.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

DelphiAegis posted:

I think they require more space now. Rooms I had built that could hold a chair, table and torch were deemed unsuitable, but as soon as I expanded them a few blocks, they were seen as okay.

KataraniSword posted:

Chances are it's just a smidge too small, I'd wager, or it uses background walls that weren't player-placed. Try expanding it a little, putting down some wall if it's not already there?

efb :argh:

Actually, its the exact opposite. These are big, honking huge rooms that got hit with this, but smaller ones are still fine.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Seems to be some really goofy poo poo with accessibility to the outdoors.

Maybe, hopefully. I guess I'll be looking at the wiki for even more in the next week or two.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
This expansion is loving crazy. Got a 57 damage fast speed death scythe that shoots sickles for 0 mana from the eclipse mobs, this thing eats bosses for breakfast :psyduck:

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Ashsaber posted:

Actually, its the exact opposite. These are big, honking huge rooms that got hit with this, but smaller ones are still fine.

Maybe, hopefully. I guess I'll be looking at the wiki for even more in the next week or two.

Are the floors to the rooms platforms, if so try putting a set of 3 blocks near the door..

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Well, that's been 46 hours of thriller. So I've been fooling around in hard mode, trying to figure out what exactly unlocks Truffle when I get the message a blood moon is rising. Fair enough, I'm decked out in Hallowed gear, no problem. I just about immediately get swamped with werewolves, nothing an Excalibur can't handle. In fact, I still needed that Moon Charm so I was pretty psyched about this. I hacked the night away, only to be greeted by a solar eclipse. Not to be outdone by the werewolf, Frankenstein's monster, Dracula, the swamp monster and the friggin Grim Reaper also want a piece of me. Before I knew what I was dealing with they killed everyone on the ground floor of my base, and the grim reapers were about to finish the job on the upper floors if I hadn't bravely ran away. About a dozen deaths later, all thanks to Eyezor, I was finally ready for some reprieve when I was greeted with "It's going to be a horrible night..." and soon after the Twins decided to harass me some more. At this point the old hard mode bosses have become the least of my worries, though, and half a night and no casualties later they fall.

Hard Mode sure doesn't gently caress around. My only regret is that I didn't think of having Thriller play in the background until after the fact.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Ashsaber posted:

Any uncovered cracks in the background wall are now unacceptable, whereas before I swear you could get away with small open windows.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Fish Noise posted:

Any uncovered cracks in the background wall are now unacceptable, whereas before I swear you could get away with small open windows.

You can't have a seam in the walls run longer then 4 tiles in 1 direction, I have a glass tile background that only works under specific conditions and I narrowed it down to this. So you can still do little holes, I just think he lowered the allowances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Have any of the world viewers been updated for the new version?

• Locked thread