Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I imagine all octopus headed things are in some ways derivations from cthulhu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Pretty much, yep.

In other news, they just updated with info about how the gelcube works. It's... a little unclear, if I'm honest.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Clear cube fits over base. I don't know if it is worth $10, but I am definitely getting one...

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I feel they could have held ofd until they had a translucent prototype instead the green stuff sculpt.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

thespaceinvader posted:

Pretty much, yep.

In other news, they just updated with info about how the gelcube works. It's... a little unclear, if I'm honest.

...Huh.

I am not exactly sold on this gelatinous cube, especially if, as it appears, Sir Forscale would have a hard time fitting in it.

Of all the Reaper bones extras, this is probably the one least likely to get enough buyers to justify a print run.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Updated by-the-numbers post. Note: these numbers do not include the terrain/dungeon dressings!

Edited to include extra Oh, Rats! fig

I didn't realize the cube came with two slimes, so that has changed the figure totals slightly for Bones II.

Bones I
231 figures in the core set
$0.43 per figure for the core set
$342 total to go "all in" and buy 1 of all the add-ons
At a cost of $1.27 per figure if you did that
And a total of 269 figures.

Bones II as of 10/3
135 figures in the core set
$0.74 per figure for the core set
$294 to go "all in" and buy 1 of all of the add-ons, including Core Expansion 1
At a cost of $1.40 per figure if you did that
Including $50 for 25 figures in Core Expansion 1
Or $2 per figure in Core Expansion 1
For a total of 210 figures.

Edit: Bones II numbers only include currently unlocked expansions!

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 4, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think that's sorta cool: the removable base has some partially digested bodies in it. This way, it satisfies both the "I want it hollow to eat my PCs!" and "I want it filled with bits of interesting things!" crowds at the same time. I stand in both camps, so I am doubly interested.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think if the cube figure came with two figures that were like, "partially-dissolved adventurer" that would fit perfectly inside, it'd be a must-buy. As it is, the two piles of snot it comes with are garbage, and we can't see how transluscent the model itself will work out to be, and even with Sir Forscale it's hard to tell if a lot of figures just won't fit inside due to weapons or whatever. So it's a crapshoot.

$10 is the right price for a crapshoot, though, so I'll probably get one just in case it turns out to be cool.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mm, I like their gelcube design, but it does seem a little small compared to the WotC version http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20080410b which has a solid amount of interior room (being a cube rather than a more stylised stretched design).

From their text it also seems like Reaper's version will open more like a clamshell rather than being a cube with one side missing, into which the base fits; something I'm not entirely sure about.

I'd like a gelcube mini though. My friend has the WotC one and it's pretty handy when representing all sorts of engulfing monsters.

And yeah, the slimes are pretty lovely. I could do something similar with a glue gun.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

I think if the cube figure came with two figures that were like, "partially-dissolved adventurer" that would fit perfectly inside, it'd be a must-buy. As it is, the two piles of snot it comes with are garbage, and we can't see how transluscent the model itself will work out to be, and even with Sir Forscale it's hard to tell if a lot of figures just won't fit inside due to weapons or whatever. So it's a crapshoot.

$10 is the right price for a crapshoot, though, so I'll probably get one just in case it turns out to be cool.

Put a treasure chest inside it. And then the treasure chest is a mimic. Filled with cursed coins.

It's sort of a clownfish matryoshka doll scenario.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Put a treasure chest inside it. And then the treasure chest is a mimic. Filled with cursed coins.

It's sort of a clownfish matryoshka doll scenario.

Ah yes, the mimic. If you, as a DM, ever hit the party with a mimic, you would regret it forever. Because from that moment on, the players would always spend twenty (real-time) minutes investigating every treasure chest (and cabinet and chest of drawers and coffer and box and barrel and goddamn bucket) in excruciating detail, poking it with 10' poles, stabbing it with swords, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

They never forget. Ever.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leperflesh posted:

Ah yes, the mimic. If you, as a DM, ever hit the party with a mimic, you would regret it forever. Because from that moment on, the players would always spend twenty (real-time) minutes investigating every treasure chest (and cabinet and chest of drawers and coffer and box and barrel and goddamn bucket) in excruciating detail, poking it with 10' poles, stabbing it with swords, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

They never forget. Ever.

Never use 10' poles since they have reach! That's why you use 11' poles.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
But I have to use the mimic, 'cuz I've got the miniature now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Dark Souls had the most terrifying mimics. You dont even know know they're in the game then all of a sudden that chest grows 10 foot long legs and arms and grabs you, stuffing you into its mouth for a one shot kill.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Azhais posted:

Never use 10' poles since they have reach! That's why you use 11' poles.

In D&D 3.5, a 10' pole cost 2sp and weighed 8lbs. However, a 10' ladder cost 5cp and weighed 20lbs. Buy a ladder, cut all the rungs off, you have two 10' poles which cost less than 2.5cp each, and probably weigh about the same, depending on how much rungs weigh.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Leperflesh posted:

They never forget. Ever.

Then you start throwing door mimics at them. And wall mimics. And ceiling mimics. And floor mimics.

Note that this are all Actual Things (though they weren't technically mimics). Gary Gygax could be kind of an rear end in a top hat.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

In D&D 3.5, a 10' pole cost 2sp and weighed 8lbs. However, a 10' ladder cost 5cp and weighed 20lbs. Buy a ladder, cut all the rungs off, you have two 10' poles which cost less than 2.5cp each, and probably weigh about the same, depending on how much rungs weigh.

Which is one of those fundamentally-broken-economy things that is often touted. Adventurers could make entire careers just buying ladders and splitting them into 2 10ft poles and a bunch of torches, then reselling.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Updated by-the-numbers post. Note: these numbers do not include the terrain/dungeon dressings!

I didn't realize the cube came with two slimes, so that has changed the figure totals slightly for Bones II.

Bones I
231 figures in the core set
$0.43 per figure for the core set
$342 total to go "all in" and buy 1 of all the add-ons
At a cost of $1.27 per figure if you did that.

Bones II as of 10/3
135 figures in the core set
$0.74 per figure for the core set
$294 to go "all in" and buy 1 of all of the add-ons, including Core Expansion 1
At a cost of $1.40 per figure if you did that
Including $50 for 25 figures in Core Expansion 1
Or $2 per figure in Core Expansion 1.

Edit: Bones II numbers only include currently unlocked expansions!

Do you have the figures at hand for the retail value of Bones I? The Vampire set is now $325, with individual sale of all of its parts putting it higher, but I don't know what they add-ons amount to. Kaladrax is like $75 on his own, though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

Good. Let them live in fear. And besides, if it's going to take 4 hours to search a kitchen on account of all the cupboards, I don't have much prep work to do, now do I? :v:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

homullus posted:

Do you have the figures at hand for the retail value of Bones I? The Vampire set is now $325, with individual sale of all of its parts putting it higher, but I don't know what they add-ons amount to. Kaladrax is like $75 on his own, though.

I don't, sorry. I put all that together by hand from what's on the Kickstarter site.

I'd kind of forgotten that Kaladrax was $10. Easily the best $10 I've ever spent on a fantasy figure.

Edit:

quote:

Note that this are all Actual Things (though they weren't technically mimics). Gary Gygax could be kind of an rear end in a top hat.

I've been reading Playing At The World, which is an exhaustive history of the origins of D&D, and one of my key takeaways from that books was that early days of the game were all about GMs trying to dick over their players.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zurai posted:

Then you start throwing door mimics at them. And wall mimics. And ceiling mimics. And floor mimics.

Piercers and Cloakers were the best

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Azhais posted:

Piercers and Cloakers were the best

Sorry, the gas spore was the best. Looks like a beholder, but when you jump it, it loving explodes. It's the ultimate in "So you thought you had the upper hand!" bullshit.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

NinjaDebugger posted:

Sorry, the gas spore was the best. Looks like a beholder, but when you jump it, it loving explodes. It's the ultimate in "So you thought you had the upper hand!" bullshit.
Not to mention all the colored oozes and jellies that hosed you over by imitating other species with glaring weaknesses they were actually strongly resistant to.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

NinjaDebugger posted:

The best part is doing it twice. "Oh, it's just a gas spore, let's do the usual guys"

This is why gas spores are better than mimics, because ordinary treasure chests don't eat you.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mimics get worse. There's a 'whole town' variety that just take the shape of all the various things you'd see in a village, they walk over to some bit of road, camp around it, and then eat whatever caravan comes through first. The young ones appear as sheds and outhouses, the middling ones are the huts and homes, and the ancients are the size of temples and towers.

http://www.lomion.de/cmm/mimihohu.php (Has pretty much every 2e monster ever.)

Here's the picture for that rat change:

Weird stuff. Also, that mage appears to be a very rat-like female.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It looks like a weasel, specifically like the Jim Henson one from Emmit Otter's Jugband Christmas.

The dwarf in the klan hood and diaper is just plain weird though.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It looks like a weasel, specifically like the Jim Henson one from Emmit Otter's Jugband Christmas.

The dwarf in the klan hood and diaper is just plain weird though.

I was stressing the female part really.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I grabbed a 4th wave spot, just to see what the nebulous shipping charges would end up as, and it looks like I will end up pulling out. :( Maybe I can just do a group order with my housemate to get a few sets of mouslings and paints. There've been some really cool sculpts shown, but I've still got 99% of my Bones I order, as well as Kaladrax, Nethyrmaul, and Cthulhu to paint. and soon I'll have too much Hell Dorado and far far too much Kingdom Death and so many Mantic elemental chess sets and oh god I should be banned from Kickstarter

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I am interested in this Kickstarter for the Kraken's (I reckon they'll be able to be made into perfect Bioshock themed Heldrakes for a Rapture themed Chaos Army for 40k), but the shipping cost worries me.

I am going to wait to see what their RoW shipping rates are. I have a $1 wave seven pledge to gain access to the Kraken's, but it's so far back that I am fine dropping the pledge altogether if the cost of shipping is prohibitively high.

Thing of it is, how will people know how much items weigh until they are made in the Bones plastic? I don't know how they're going to be able to give an accurate shipping cost for most items until they've been tooled and made ready for shipping.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

The Dark Project posted:

Thing of it is, how will people know how much items weigh until they are made in the Bones plastic? I don't know how they're going to be able to give an accurate shipping cost for most items until they've been tooled and made ready for shipping.

Well, it'll be an estimate no matter what, but if they know the volume of a given mini it should be easy enough to estimate the weight of the thing.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Is there a reliable way to give my first wave slot to one of you guys? I am defintely gonna be pulling out in favour of Mars Attacks and some comics.

Phoon fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 4, 2013

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Oh God, those mouselings will be mine :3: I have an unplayed Moueguard RPG that needs them!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That is a tall dragon. :stare:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's a lot of dragon for :10bux:, drat.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

That is a tall dragon. :stare:

*Takes dragon out of box*
*Dragon collapses under its own weight*

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Looks like a slightly more dynamic warhammer Fantasy dragon.

Ibdo like that that they're narrowing the gap between stretch goals a little. I was sure thwy were going to stick tothe every 200 thousand going forward.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 4, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Looks like a slightly more dynamic warhammer Fantasy dragon.
I was thinking the same thing - a Wood Elf dragon or Orc Wyvern. $50 cheaper, of course...

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Ravendas posted:

*Takes dragon out of box*
*Dragon collapses under its own weight*

Eh, its Bones. Just put it in a larger base and it should be fine.

... Can you honestly imagine trying to make something like Kaladrax in metal? @_@

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kerzoro posted:

... Can you honestly imagine trying to make something like Kaladrax in metal? @_@
Yes.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/kaladrax/latest/10012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Nono. trying to MAKE it. As in, trying to PUT IT TOGETHER and hoping it stays that way.

The pinning, the green stuff, the balancing of the entire thing, and the hoping it doesn't slip from your/other people's hands and to the floor, and the WEIGHT of the thing.

The Bones one? I put it together in like 5-10 minutes, and if it falls to the floor chances are It's going to be just fine.

• Locked thread