Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

jonathan posted:

The initial post was kind of odd in that either a) you had very specific needs, or b) you weren't sure of your needs but read some recommended power ratings somewhere and asked specifically for those. Any reason why you want separate dac/preamp and amplifiers ? I assume you just enjoy that gear ?

Yeah, my preamp already is far more powerful than anything I'd ever need, and my Nakamichi, which I basically got for free, is a solid receiver capable of 4 ohms no problem. I just couldn't figure out the name of the device I was looking for. The B8's are 100-125RMS @ 4 ohms so the setup pretty much worked perfectly already; I just needed some way to allow the support of HDMI devices for playing games and movies from a PC and PS3. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd like to spend $120-$150 on a 2.0 or 2.1 setup for my desk. I mostly listen to electronic music. What should I be looking at? Audioengine A2s are slightly out of what I want to spend right now.

These, plus a Pyle stereo amplifier ($40-$100) would be good.

I listen to downtempo/DI-FM/UMF all the time with my Pioneers.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd like to spend $120-$150 on a 2.0 or 2.1 setup for my desk. I mostly listen to electronic music. What should I be looking at? Audioengine A2s are slightly out of what I want to spend right now.

Used powered near field studio monitors.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

entr0py posted:

I'm looking to change up my L-R-C speakers from in-wall to floor-standing or bookshelf and I started perusing this thread and the deals sites. Has anyone listened to BIC's floorstanding speakers? A pair of them can be had here for $270 (using code "bictower") and I was wondering how they compared to the FS52s. Since the FS52s can be had at Microcenter right now for $89/ea, I'm leaning towards them, but I'm pretty flexible as long as my total for all three come in less than $500.

My receiver is Denon AVR2112ci and my sub is a BIC F12 currently.

e: I should also note that the matching center for the FS52s is $69 right now at Microcenter. I might just jump on them before they run out of stock since prices that low on the set only happen every few months.

Thats a bit of a tossup. Those BIC speakers are pretty much the same design as a Klipsch F-20 floorstanding speaker, which I think are really good for the price. The sensitivity rating on the BIC's are an outright lie, or at the very least a marketing fabrication (They're probably 96db sensitive for the horn, but not the midrange or lower). Thats taking Klipsch marketing BS to another level.

All in all the BIC's are probably a better speaker than the Andrew Jones. However, with a sub helping them with the low notes, and if you don't pay attention to finishing quality, the Andrew Jones will probably sound just as good. You will need to decide if you want to pay more for detailed and revealing horn loaded sound, or save and get smooth and forgiving sound from the Pioneers.

Also there is the used market... Your budget could bag you some really nice speakers.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

entr0py posted:

e: I should also note that the matching center for the FS52s is $69 right now at Microcenter. I might just jump on them before they run out of stock since prices that low on the set only happen every few months.

Canadian prices are so unfair. :argh:

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Finally had the time to hook everything up. Holy poo poo :stare:

Unfortunately I think my center channel is busted; once I got everything up and running and played a movie it sounded like all the dialogue was coming out of a cell phone. I went and double-checked all my connections, swapped speakers, swapped connections, and it turns out two out of the three channels on my center speaker aren't firing at all, which makes me think it's a defect. So I gotta take that back, but luckily I could phantom center for the time being and it still sounds worlds better than my old setup.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

turnways posted:

Finally had the time to hook everything up. Holy poo poo :stare:

Unfortunately I think my center channel is busted; once I got everything up and running and played a movie it sounded like all the dialogue was coming out of a cell phone. I went and double-checked all my connections, swapped speakers, swapped connections, and it turns out two out of the three channels on my center speaker aren't firing at all, which makes me think it's a defect. So I gotta take that back, but luckily I could phantom center for the time being and it still sounds worlds better than my old setup.

That sucks, but see if you can take it apart without voiding the warranty, first; there may just be a loose connection inside, or a crossed wire.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

That sucks, but see if you can take it apart without voiding the warranty, first; there may just be a loose connection inside, or a crossed wire.

I already exchanged it, haha. Was definitely something majorly hosed with it though; my new unit (exact same model, Pioneer SP-C22) sounds incredible and not at all like a tin can/cell phone.

I should've noticed when I was unscrewing the back terminals that the black terminal wouldn't "seat" properly as though it had already been stripped; I'm betting there was something wrong with that connection and the rest of the unit was fine.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
So I picked these up pretty cheap from a friend who was moving:

My current setup, which I'd like to move back to my PC, is the Lepai power amp / Dayton bookshelf speakers from the PC speaker thread. I'd like to just grab a power amp and run a bluetooth hub and my TV through the new Wharfdales. Any recommendations on something worthwhile, should I aim higher, or are these not going to be worth the effort?

Revvik fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 23, 2013

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Revvik posted:

Any recommendations on something worthwhile, should I aim higher, or are these not going to be worth the effort?

What's the use going to be? TV and movies?

If so, you want a 5.1/7.1 receiver for the convenience.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Revvik posted:

So I picked these up pretty cheap from a friend who was moving:

They look like majora's mask when you put them together like that :3:

Walrus Ship Down
Apr 21, 2010
I'm looking to finally transfer money out of my buying vinyl budget into my listening to vinyl budget. What would be a good 2.0 or 2.1 set up for a smallish room? I have an AT-lp120 which has it's own preamp but it's not the best. Currently I'm running that through lower end m-audio studio monitors. I also have nicer vintage floor speakers. I forget the brand off the top of my head but I don't have the means to utilize them yet.

I have a wish-list for other things that I would want down the road if they push me out of my budget at this point.
-Cassette deck
-cd player
-mp3 capabilty
-Zone 2 capability (is there a way to do this wireless?)

My budget could be anywhere from $150-500+ depending on what I get and if it's something that's easy to add to over time. I guess I'm just stuck wondering if I should find an older amp with it's own phono pre or look ahead to something new.

Here are two things I was looking at
Pioneer SA-v70 system good deal? bad deal?
Onkyo tx-8050

Thanks for any advice.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Walrus Ship Down posted:

I also have nicer vintage floor speakers.

Do you want to use these? If yes, a vintage Marantz, McIntosh, Pioneer or maybe even a Kenwood receiver is definitely an option. I'd try age matching the speakers to a receiver. You may want to get a separate phono stage; at the very least listen to old phono stages before committing to them. Some love them, some can't stand them.

The Onkyo you listed is a possibility. I'm partial to Marantz with vinyl, but that's just me.

quote:

I have a wish-list for other things that I would want down the road if they push me out of my budget at this point.
-Cassette deck
-cd player
-mp3 capabilty
-Zone 2 capability (is there a way to do this wireless?)

They don't exactly exclude each other, but you'll have to prioritize them.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mister Macys posted:

These, plus a Pyle stereo amplifier ($40-$100) would be good.

I listen to downtempo/DI-FM/UMF all the time with my Pioneers.

Thanks, man. I picked those up along with a Leipai 2020A+ and uprated power adapter... very happy for the price of $129 total. Time to save a little bit and get a sub (and sell this amp and get one with a bass channel).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Thanks, man. I picked those up along with a Leipai 2020A+ and uprated power adapter... very happy for the price of $129 total. Time to save a little bit and get a sub (and sell this amp and get one with a bass channel).

You don't need an amp with a bass channel if you get a powered sub.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How would I hook it up then?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

Aren't *all* subs powered subs? I've never heard of one that wasn't (besides car audio) but maybe I am confused.

All subs pretty much have their own amp because A/V receivers can't drive them on their own. You typically hook up a sub to the pre-out jacks on the back of your receiver. They are sometimes labeled "sub out" or whatever. Your sub will probably have a low pass filter to remove frequencies necessary for your sub.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 25, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BlackMK4 posted:

Many subs have speaker level inputs on the back, you run your amp's speaker channels to the sub amp, and then from the sub amp to your speakers. It also uses a high pass filter to let the sub do bass duty and the speakers play everything else.

This function is specifically for people who use a 2 channel amp to power their speakers.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BANME.sh posted:

Aren't *all* subs powered subs? I've never heard of one that wasn't (besides car audio) but maybe I am confused.

All subs pretty much have their own amp because A/V receivers can't drive them on their own. You typically hook up a sub to the pre-out jacks on the back of your receiver. They are sometimes labeled "sub out" or whatever. Your sub will probably have a low pass filter to remove frequencies necessary for your sub.

It's a matter of terminology:

Powered/Active subwoofer = Built in amp
Passive subwoofer = find your own amp to power it.

some theater in a box kits also have a powered subwoofer channel in the receiver.

Walrus Ship Down
Apr 21, 2010

Hob_Gadling posted:

Do you want to use these? If yes, a vintage Marantz, McIntosh, Pioneer or maybe even a Kenwood receiver is definitely an option. I'd try age matching the speakers to a receiver. You may want to get a separate phono stage; at the very least listen to old phono stages before committing to them. Some love them, some can't stand them.

Thanks for the response. The age matching got me thinking that if the people who gave me the Advents still had them in the box, they probably had something they were powering them with before they went into storage. A few overturned boxes later and I am now the proud second hand owner of Kenwood KA-6004 amp originally purchased in 1972. I guess they've had it in storage since about ten years ago and it was used continually up until that point. Everything works and it sounds great.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Classy lookin' stuff!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

Most home theater subs are powered, but I didn't want to generalize because you can find passive subs if you look.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Passive klipsch sub:

http://www.klipsch.com/kw-120-thx-subwoofer

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
I live in the UK and I'm wondering what would be a good start on building a 5.1 system for mostly movies coming from a HTPC. I have a budget of roughly £350. I know I'll have to check out the speakers personally but I want to know the kind of ball park to go for.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jonathan posted:

Many subs have speaker level inputs on the back, you run your amp's speaker channels to the sub amp, and then from the sub amp to your speakers. It also uses a high pass filter to let the sub do bass duty and the speakers play everything else.

This function is specifically for people who use a 2 channel amp to power their speakers.

Ahhh, that makes sense. Thank you

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I'm moving into a place where I can turn up the volume above a whisper without waking the neighbors, and I've been looking for an audio system to replace the TV's speakers for basic movies, games, and TV watching. I noticed the sub-$500 build on the front page, but some of the pieces appear to be out of order.

So after some looking on Amazon, I found some Onkyo 5.1/7.1 sets that are within my budget range. Are these good sets to go with, or is there an updated sub-$500 set posted somewhere that would be a better idea? I can't say I'm too picky on sound coming from terrible TV speakers, but I'd like something that will last a few years.

Drunk Badger fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 2, 2013

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How much signal degredation or artifacts can I expect from solid state and mechanical analog signal switchers?

I currently have a Psyclone PSC01 laying around which is solid state and I'm thinking of using it to just switch audio on the L/R RCA connectors.

http://www.atomroot.com/ebay/psyclone_manual.pdf

I guess most HT receivers use solid state switches too right? I'm just not sure how much difference there is across different switch parts and if its a complex part(to get right) or not.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My Onkyo 309 no longer outputs sound and doesn't make any noise when I do the speaker calibration test tone. Swapping out various speakers/receivers/cables confirms that it's the receiver. Sigh... Never fails to be a couple months outside of the 2 year warranty.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Shaocaholica posted:

How much signal degredation or artifacts can I expect from solid state and mechanical analog signal switchers?

Probably about 0.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

So I've been rocking an Onkyo TX-NR609 since mid 2011. I came home today, hoping to finish up GTA when I came home to see this.

It looks like the TV has been knocked into a 16 bit color mode or something. OTA television looks fine. Check the cables, same results. Unplugged it from the surge protector and let it sit for a few minutes. Plugged it back in, same result. Is my receiver toast? If so, is there a replacement I should be looking at? This thing was way overkill when I bought it, and is still overkill for my needs (small apartment, left / right / center configuration with no subwoofer).

kimcicle fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 4, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I have a (what is probably a dumb) question because I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to any home A/V stuff.

For context, I have a Toshiba Regza 47ZV650U HDTV that unfortunately has an issue where audio from any HDMI device connected to the TV gets distorted or garbled after a variable amount of time. The TV itself is from 2009 and as such, is out of warranty, discontinued, and no longer able to be serviced. This issue I have with my TV is actually a well documented one among Toshiba's Regza line, and someone recreates it here http://youtu.be/J38Fl-hKxak?t=1m30s

My question is, if I get a receiver and say a 2.1 setup, would that eliminate the TV's audio issue? The receiver would be handling the audio output, right? Not the TV anymore? It's a real annoying issue that I was hoping would be fixed with a firmware update or something, but I'm hoping just hooking up a receiver is a viable solution. Am I right?

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 4, 2013

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

I think one of the ways you can solve this problem is to take inventory of your devices (consoles, DVD/blu-ray, etc.) and their output capabilities (HDMI, optical audio, component, etc.), and then find a receiver that will allow you to connect all of these devices (ideally HDMI?) and only output HDMI from the receiver to the TV. This way you bypass the TV's audio completely. HDMI-compatible receivers are pretty common these days and there are lots of reasonable options.

EDIT: Basically what you said already.

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

kimcicle posted:

So I've been rocking an Onkyo TX-NR609 since mid 2011. I came home today, hoping to finish up GTA when I came home to see this.

It looks like the TV has been knocked into a 16 bit color mode or something. OTA television looks fine. Check the cables, same results. Unplugged it from the surge protector and let it sit for a few minutes. Plugged it back in, same result. Is my receiver toast? If so, is there a replacement I should be looking at? This thing was way overkill when I bought it, and is still overkill for my needs (small apartment, left / right / center configuration with no subwoofer).

Are you using HDMI? Onkyos have kind of a funky reputation on the reliability of their HDMI boards. A firmware update may help, it seemed to resolve some HDMI issues on my 709.

EDIT: Booyah have a link: http://www.intl.onkyo.com/support/firmware/tx-nr609.html

Gomiboy fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 4, 2013

Gomiboy
Dec 24, 2003

This is the dope poo poo right here. I have too many vintage setups as it is and this makes me want to get on CL right now and find a silver face amp.....

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I have a 5x4m room and a pair of KEF Q55s
code:
Peak Power Handling	150 watt
Frequency Response	40 Hz - 20 kHz
Impedance		8 ohm
Sensitivity		91 dB
I don't want it loud (don't want to annoy the apartment below with a thumping bass), but do want it nice when I listen (possibly using an ipod as a source, or a PS3)

Will one of those tiny Leipei 2x20W have enough oomph to drive it at lower volumes?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TA2020-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier-Supply/dp/B007VMA6OU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_recspk_1

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

spog posted:

I have a 5x4m room and a pair of KEF Q55s
code:
Peak Power Handling	150 watt
Frequency Response	40 Hz - 20 kHz
Impedance		8 ohm
Sensitivity		91 dB
I don't want it loud (don't want to annoy the apartment below with a thumping bass), but do want it nice when I listen (possibly using an ipod as a source, or a PS3)

Will one of those tiny Leipei 2x20W have enough oomph to drive it at lower volumes?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TA2020-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier-Supply/dp/B007VMA6OU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_recspk_1

I think you'll be alright. I've got a similar setup for my PC speakers. The amp is a Topping TP20-Mk2, and the speakers are Athena Audition AS-B1's (sucks that Klipsch bought them and killed off the brand, they made awesome stuff):

code:
Peak Power Handling	125 watt
Frequency Response	60 Hz - 20 kHz
Impedance		8 ohm
Sensitivity		90 dB
If I'm sitting in front of them at my desk, between 1/4-1/3 volume is more than adequate for normal listening. If I really want to :rock:, I'll crank them up to about the halfway point, but I've never felt the need to go beyond that. (Besides, at least with my TP20, most of the gain seems to be in the first half of the dial, so beyond that you're kinda in diminishing returns territory.)

At either of those volume levels (or anywhere in between) I can clearly hear the music or whatever from anywhere in my ~700 sq ft apartment.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Anyone have any experience with Anthony Gallo speakers?

I got a good deal on some used A'Divas so I picked them up. They will be the LCR in my 5.1 setup. Mainly went with them for their high WAF but have read good things about them too.

Only question I have is what I'm going to use for surround speakers. I will need to do in-ceiling speakers due to the layout of the room. I see Anthony Gallo makes an in-ceiling adapter for the micros but they are expensive.

Any thoughts on what would pair well with the A'Divas?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Scrapez posted:

Anyone have any experience with Anthony Gallo speakers?

Don't skimp on the subwoofer. That makes or breaks the setup.

I believe satellites from Orb Audio are quite similar. Might want to check those out for surrounds: they're small and easy to wall/ceiling mount.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Hob_Gadling posted:

Don't skimp on the subwoofer. That makes or breaks the setup.

I believe satellites from Orb Audio are quite similar. Might want to check those out for surrounds: they're small and easy to wall/ceiling mount.

Plan to do an attic mounted IB setup for the sub. Two 15s possibly.

I've looked at the Orbs as well but I'm really looking for something that will mount flush to the ceiling for the surrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Depends on your budget. If ~$150 for pair is ok, go for Klipsch. Reference Series R-1650-C for example is ok.