Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

whaley posted:

The majority of people don't know it exists. I have a feeling a lot of people here think the entire planet is as informed as the Something Awful forums. Kind of like the guy who says above me "even if people did know it existed, the stigma of a dying comsole will keep them from buying it. " like some kids mother sees a commercial on tv for a new Nintendo system with a pretty new Mario game and says "Here is a Nintendo for my child but I hear it is a dying console from my time on video game message boards and from reading NPD sales stats so nevermind."

You're right in the sense that the majority of the public doesn't know about low sales numbers and technical limitations of the system, but there is some horrible word of mouth going on about it right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
Maybe I'm being a dumb gently caress here but would it have been viable to have had the 3ds instead of a tablet?

You would still have had your wiimote, pro pad and all that stuff. The 3ds has the touch screen and most of the buttons, Wifi capabilities.

Am I being retarded?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Xillah posted:

Maybe I'm being a dumb gently caress here but would it have been viable to have had the 3ds instead of a tablet?

You would still have had your wiimote, pro pad and all that stuff. The 3ds has the touch screen and most of the buttons, Wifi capabilities.

Am I being retarded?

They could have packaged one with the system, and if you already have a 3ds, well now player 2 gets one also.

Does the WiiU let you buy more tablets for other couch players to use? It seems a lot more viable for people to bring over their 3ds instead of buying more tablets.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

Astro7x posted:

You're right in the sense that the majority of the public doesn't know about low sales numbers and technical limitations of the system, but there is some horrible word of mouth going on about it right now...

I said I was getting one for my kid and a middle aged woman with zero interest in this said "Is that the new Wii, hasn't that died?". She wouldn't know the difference between a ps1 and an Xbox360, so yeah, awful word of mouth.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Xillah posted:

Am I being retarded?

The 3DS lacks a second analogue stick which is kind of a big deal. The resolution on the screen is also pretty horrible in my personal opinion. It is lacking a second set of triggers which would make the controller more comparable to the PS4/XBO as well. It's also not that comfortable to use as a controller, and questionable if it's even possible to stream video to it for off screen play.

Jeffrey posted:

They could have packaged one with the system, and if you already have a 3ds, well now player 2 gets one also.

Does the WiiU let you buy more tablets for other couch players to use? It seems a lot more viable for people to bring over their 3ds instead of buying more tablets.

Nintendo has said that it can stream to two tablets at once, there are currently no games planned to support that feature and the tablets are not sold separately. So this is kind of irrelevant...

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

I don't think you can buy separate tablets.
It wouldn't even have needed to be bundled in with the WiiU. It just seems odd, they were developing this thing alongside the 3ds, link the buggers up.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Xillah posted:

I don't think you can buy separate tablets.
It wouldn't even have needed to be bundled in with the WiiU. It just seems odd, they were developing this thing alongside the 3ds, link the buggers up.

It probably wasn't cost effective at the time to do so and they probably thought the U could stand on its own.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah one of their issues is that they have the WiiUs just sitting around playing videos, you don't actually get to TRY the loving thing. I don't understand why they don't have a Mario World+Wind Waker+Rayman demo up on all the WiiUs.
Probably the same reason why they didn't put the demos on the eShop; they were E3 builds.

I don't see why they couldn't put out polished demos now. They have a new 5 level demo of Mario 3D World they're showing to the press this week and since it's a build close to the game going gold I don't see why they can't put that on the kiosks/eShop.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
The main thing keeping the 3DS from being usable is that there's no dedicated hardware for streaming video on it like the gamepad. It kinda shows that the Wii U was something they threw together last minute, instead of something they were working on throughout the Wii's lifespan.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

On another subject I've just been informed that the boy is sleeping at my mam's tonight so I can take advantage and download WW and make sure it um...works properly. Would hate to ruin his Christmas...

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Jesus dude, don't open and play with your kid's Christmas gift 2+ months before Christmas.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

^^ it's a present to himself dressed up as a present to his kid, obviously. Easy excuse for dropping £300 on a Wii U!

Xillah posted:

The Gamepad has a decent amount of dedicated hardware and bespoke software for the streamed video which the 3DS doesn't have. The screens low resolution nature isn't great either, it'd be a real challenge to make something that looks good fullsize on the TV at 720p or whatever and also good on the 240p screen on the 3DS. Text and interfaces generally don't scale that well.

The cost of a 3DS-Gamepad vs the actual one probably would've been meaningfully more as well. I bet developers would've loved trying to invent uses for 3 individual screens of varying size, resolution and aspect ratio.

Maybe that's the problem with the Gamepad actually, because anyone developing a game for it has to account for the off-screen play: anything essential has to be on the main screen at all times. That kinda limits it to being used as a minor convenience and nothing more-- maps, inventory etc.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Jesus dude, don't open and play with your kid's Christmas gift 2+ months before Christmas.

I think his point was making sure that everything works the way it's supposed to. Christmas would deflate pretty quickly if the system was DOA (especially since it'd be too late to return to a store), or if the Windwaker download code was invalid, also the download will likely take ages...

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I think his point was doing that and also actually playing the game. Which is ridiculous.

Edit: And I guess he was joking, but you can never be sure when it comes to goons and video games.

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 4, 2013

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Mainly want to do the download and any software updates for the actual system. Would I have a 30 minute bash after doing that....yeah probably :shame:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Just have your family exchange gifts on Halloween instead of Christmas. Problem solved.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Jeffrey posted:

Just have your family exchange gifts on Halloween instead of Christmas. Problem solved.

I think I can get the boy on board. No way would the Mrs go for it though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Xillah posted:

I think I can get the boy on board. No way would the Mrs go for it though.

As a non-religious Jew, I never had Christmas growing up and so I don't really have as strong a tradition to uphold. I think when I start a family I'll try and make the present giving holiday a random day each year, sounds more fun if you don't expect it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

illcendiary posted:

I think his point was doing that and also actually playing the game. Which is ridiculous.

Edit: And I guess he was joking, but you can never be sure when it comes to goons and video games.

My parents admitted to me of playing my Super Nintendo before I got it. I never knew. Probably more difficult on something like a Wii U because you'd have to wipe out information after.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
I've just realised that the WWHD bundle is practically Tingle Tuner: The Console. Didn't they realise they couldn't think of anything interesting to do with the Gamecube/GBA connectivity before so why did they think the tablet would be worthwhile?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

My parents admitted to me of playing my Super Nintendo before I got it. I never knew. Probably more difficult on something like a Wii U because you'd have to wipe out information after.

I remember finding one of my Christmas presents and playing it before sneaking it back into its box. Cruisin USA, Christmas 1996.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

I remember finding one of my Christmas presents and playing it before sneaking it back into its box. Cruisin USA, Christmas 1996.

My parents tricked me when it came to the N64. There was a bunch of boxes piled in a corner and then a really huge box. I didn't ask for a huge box but I mean, THERE'S A HUGE BOX I WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S IN THE HUGE BOX so I opened it. It was like a russian doll set up with several boxes until I got to the bottom and got a copy of Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey. Which of course meant I ruined the whole fun. I was supposed to open the N64 first and then go through the boxes to get to 3D Hockey.

Ah well. I really wish the Wii U had a decent hockey game. I still play NHL 06 for the Gamecube when I want a hockey fix.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Astro7x posted:

My annual SNES game christmas present was always giftwrapped in its hiding place in a closet my parents thought I couldn't reach, so I would grab it and hold it up to a very bright light to verify its title and drool over the screenshots on the back before returning it.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Not exactly being secretive, his Mii was created by Santa.

Was the same story with the DS and 3DS, it flashed up "Merry Chrismas Noah!" or something to that effect.

I've had the power on for about 40 minutes and am only up to the system update.

The screen on the tablet is nice but it feels cheap as hell, going to have to get a cover.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Shibawanko posted:

My annual SNES game christmas present was always giftwrapped in its hiding place in a closet my parents thought I couldn't reach, so I would grab it and hold it up to a very bright light to verify its title and drool over the screenshots on the back before returning it.

When my parents got me Super Mario RPG, they knew I was the age where I'd be sneaky enough to open the present when they weren't there and then just re-wrap it. So my dad got a used copy of Lagoon and switched games.

Looking back my parents were pretty awesome. At the time, I felt betrayed and mistrusted (and I totally deserved it).

Hydrogen_Otter
May 1, 2003

Xillah posted:

Not exactly being secretive, his Mii was created by Santa.

D'awww :3:

Also anyone hating on you for opening up the system to check and update it / install WindWaker has obviously never had to actually perform a system update and download a game on a Wii U. Nintendo's servers are laughably slow, would put a serious damper on an otherwise excellent Christmas buzz.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
To be fair most of us grew up on just plugging in a console and pressing power and we're old and set in our ways.

"WHY CAN'T I JUST PLUG IN THIS STUPID PS4 AND PLAY SOME WATCH DOGS UGH SONY." - Me on November 15th.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

The Mrs is actually surprised I wasn't bull making GBS threads her for a chance to have a go. System update is now at 80%, it's been what 90 minutes since I un-boxed it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Xillah posted:

The Mrs is actually surprised I wasn't bull making GBS threads her for a chance to have a go. System update is now at 80%, it's been what 90 minutes since I un-boxed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKyIiCpyfs8

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
My net got the updates handled pretty quickly, soooooo yeah.

Incidentally, I speak to you all from the tablet, which I find really comfy and cool. The ability to do stuff without stopping the game is awesome, and W101 is pretty fun. Gonna get Rayman from Tesco.

Though in a moment that perfectly punctuated one of the console's issues, my sister thought it simply came with an updated Wii (ala the 360 elite) rather than it being a new console at all.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
90 minutes to a kid eager to play his new game might as well be a month. It's good you're getting it out of the way now.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Astro Nut posted:

My net got the updates handled pretty quickly, soooooo yeah.

Incidentally, I speak to you all from the tablet, which I find really comfy and cool. The ability to do stuff without stopping the game is awesome, and W101 is pretty fun. Gonna get Rayman from Tesco.

Though in a moment that perfectly punctuated one of the console's issues, my sister thought it simply came with an updated Wii (ala the 360 elite) rather than it being a new console at all.

My wife thought this too, which actually really drove home how bad the Wii-U information out there is (we have every major console from the NES onwards and she's done her fair share of gaming).

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

That feels like my life now. WW downloading. Switched broadband a few days back, they said it would go slow for 7-10 days. I remember 2 hour mp3 downloads though so 2 gig an hour isn't a trauma.

Looking at other games for him today I saw rayman and the rabbids one were going pre-owned for £15 each, Epic Mickey 2 was £18. So there are other options there without going into 3d Mario territory. Could hold off until Easter for that then his birthday for Mario kart or smash brothers if they appear by then.

Xillah fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 4, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Xillah posted:

That feels like my life now. WW downloading. Switched broadband a few days back, they said it would go slow for 7-10 days. I remember 2 hour mp3 downloads though so 2 gig an hour isn't a trauma.

Looking at other games for him today I saw rayman and the rabbids one were going pre-owned for £15 each, Epic Mickey 2 was £18. So there are other options there without going into 3d Mario territory. Could hold off until Easter for that then his birthday for Mario kart or smash brothers if they appear by then.

Do not get Epic Mickey 2. Not only is the game pretty bad, the Wii U version is one of the worst ports I have ever seen in my life.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Did I just read correctly that you CANNOT buy a second tablet for the Wii U?

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Doomsday Jesus posted:

The tablet is literally part of the console itself, so no, I don't think it would work even if you could.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Yes, why is this a big deal? No game requires a second tablet, and Nintendo can do a repair/replacement if it breaks. Putting the tablet for sale on it's own for people that simply broke it and need a replacement would just add to confusion of it being an accessory vs. new console.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Doomsday Jesus posted:

fun fact IIRC, the Wii-U hardware supports up to two tablets. However, no actual games use two tablets and extra tablets aren't sold anywhere so that first sentence is suddenly really funny.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Cyra posted:

The tablet is literally part of the console itself, so no, I don't think it would work even if you could.

Nintendo has said the console could support up to 2 tablet controllers, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're incorrect in your assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Alright, we are over 150 pages, let's see what ideas we can shoot off to Nintendo HQ for consideration!

- Remove the tablet

Doing this would drop the price of the console, but let's look at how much stuff won't be playable. The Mii Plaza on the main menu would be gone, Wii U chat is gone with lack of a camera, Miiverse drawing is gone as is any other drawing utilities, TVii and the remote function are gone, and any off-screen play is gone including games that support it. That's not all I can think of, but it's a good sample set of features and games that are straight up gone. Any game that supports use of the gamepad (every WiiU game) would not be able to be played unless those developers patched out gamepad support, and good luck with that logistical nightmare. Either that, or drop their library of games that has come out so far.

- Make the 3ds a gamepad controller

Four buttons, an analog stick, and a 16:9 touch screen. Those 3 things the 3ds are missing are why it will never be considered as a gamepad replacement. The circle pad pro does add two extra triggers and another circle pad, but you are still missing the stick buttons and correct screen. Even then, developers barely support the CPP as is.

Back to the internet armchair drawing board, I guess :smith: Maybe someone will come in and post about removing the gamepad, I don't think it's been suggested yet.

• Locked thread