Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Coolguye posted:

The response was a chorus of "No loving duh, he's Starscream."

Ah, that's brilliant. I play cyborg quite a bit, and I definitely empathize with the whole robutticists being shitheads occasionally thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Coolguye posted:

Meta-discussion always is what drags these threads down, whether it's people arguing over what's a grief, arguing over the meaning of the word 'drown' in the TG Murphy's Rules thread, or peoples' motivations in literally any thread with .txt in the name.

Honestly anyone who isn't posting content, a question, or an answer to a question to this thread should seriously ask themselves if they're being part of the problem or the solution because right now all I see is the problem.

For content so I will not be a massive hypocrite:

In Space Station 13, Cyborgs require the help of humans to get most of their upgrades. There are things borgs can do themselves, but a Roboticist that is paying attention is critical. One of the easiest ways to piss off borg players is to be an rear end in a top hat Roboticist, since on the default law set the borgs can't really do anything about it.

Well, be careful about that on admin shenanegan rounds.

This particular round, an admin spawned a pit, and ordered us to throw people inside, once every 10 minutes, to keep horrors from coming out. There were 3 borgs to start the round, and we found ourselves with a particularly stupid Roboticist who failed to understand how to replace our batteries (literally 2 clicks) for 15 minutes, then claimed he was really high and all he could handle was butts, so bring him butts.

We seethed for about 5 minutes, then I said we should toss him in the pit. Whether our laws would allow that was a gray area, but when you're playing into an admin gimmick you typically get some latitude. So we told the Roboticist to hold still and pulled him to the pit. He tried to struggle, but 3 on 1, he eventually went in.

He spent the next 20 minutes cursing and sputtering about how the borgs betrayed him before he went curiously silent. I presumed he died in there and went about my business.

Later in the round, I got curious and jumped in the pit myself. There were a LOT of bodies all around, with creatures called 'the darkness' everywhere, which sap humans dry but are harmless to cyborgs. As I shove my way through these obnoxious mobs, one of the 'corpses' starts whispering to me.

"Starscream, you gotta help me, man." It's the Roboticist we shoved in. He wanted me to drag him past the Darkness mob, which was ready to kill him instantly if he stood up. I told him OK, because why not. I drag him safely past the mob, and he stands up just as we hear a loud crunching sound. "That sounds bad." I say.

Almost on cue, a wendigo king, one of the baddest rear end enemies in the game, comes charging down the hallway and clobbers the Roboticist. He screams for help and I run off, saying 'Nope!' The last line he gets out before I hear the sickening crunch of the wendigo king tearing him apart is "Starscream is a traitor!!" Over the station radio.

The response was a chorus of "No loving duh, he's Starscream."

"MEGATRON HAS FALLEN!"... cries Starscream whenever Megatron trips over an energon cube.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Why does a game set on a space station and named after being on a space station have yetis in it?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zereth posted:

Why does a game set on a space station and named after being on a space station have yetis in it?

Why not?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Zereth posted:

Programmers just add stuff. And fix stuff, and change stuff, and then leave without leaving any documentation behind.

It's all part of the magic of SS13.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This isn't really a grief in and of itself, but the reactions it gets can be put in the grief section I guess. In Dota 2 there are a lot of different characters like Ogre Mage, A guy with an ax named Axe, and Disrupter who...disrupts. The thing is the heroes are often called by what they do or are rather than their actual name. I don't know why they did this, but they did.

Simply use their names in puns or sentences when playing with the other team or after a kill. For some reason even chatting is considered rude in and of itself, so doubly so when its useless puns....triply so when you're doing well and still chatting.

"Hey, I just want to AXE you a question" as your hero Axe kills the enemy. "Sorry to DISRUPT your team fight" or "Play time is OGRE". It's all ridiculous stupid puns that are cringe worthy..but they almost ALWAYS get a reaction.

Try it sometime.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Zereth posted:

The Wendigo King himself is from the Ice Planet, a place you need to use the teleporter in the Research wing of the station to access. Normally, you will never see him unless you're part of an away team that's invading his house.

In this particular case though there was a pit hungering for offerings and the entire thing got sort of out of hand in the most badass way.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Zereth posted:

The same reason Randy Savage can burst through the loving ship hull to clothesline you into a million meaty pieces.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Jastiger posted:

This isn't really a grief in and of itself, but the reactions it gets can be put in the grief section I guess. In Dota 2 there are a lot of different characters like Ogre Mage, A guy with an ax named Axe, and Disrupter who...disrupts. The thing is the heroes are often called by what they do or are rather than their actual name. I don't know why they did this, but they did.

Jobs vs unique individuals.

And now for something I didn't do but appreciate immensely:

Dota has a hero named Lycanthrope, who is as the name suggests is a werewolf. His ultimate skill transforms him from a TF2 soldier lookalike into a giant red wolf. A few months ago valve added cosmetics that changed his model when he was in wolf form, and for the first couple days using any of these cosmetics would instantly crash the server when the model first drew.

Dota also has a day and night cycle. One day is 12 minutes.

During this period I played a game in which someone picked Lycan. Usually I don't pay attention to pub names, but this one caught my attention:

quote:

majora <Lycanthrope> the first day
majora <Lycanthrope> 72 hours remain

The game crashed at 36:00.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 5, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

bucketmouse posted:

Jobs vs unique individuals.

And now for something I didn't do but appreciate immensely:

Dota has a hero named Lycanthrope, who is as the name suggests is a werewolf. His ultimate skill transforms him from a TF2 soldier lookalike into a giant red wolf. A few months ago valve added cosmetics that changed his model when he was in wolf form, and for the first couple days using any of these cosmetics would instantly crash the server when the model first drew.

During this period I played a game in which someone picked Lycan. Usually I don't pay attention to pub names, but this one caught my attention:

:catstare:

Did he crash your dota? If he found a crash exploit, that is such a good gimmick

Edit: I am an idiot child and missed you explaining the exploit

Magres fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 5, 2013

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

bucketmouse posted:

for the first couple days using any of these cosmetics would instantly crash the server when the model first drew.

Yeah I think he found a crash exploit.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Nurr my eyes skipped that line for some reason :saddowns:

I figured it was just an explanation of things about Lycan, not an explanation of the crash exploit.

McScumbag
Jun 30, 2012
FRONT LINE SOLDIER IN THE FIGHT FOR MEN'S RIGHTS

reddit 4 eva
So as Im sure you know, Grand Theft Auto Online is out.

People in it can go into stores to buy items, get hair cuts, rob the place, etc. While playing I found one annoying individual who had been saying how he was friends with the admins, so people better do what he says, etc. etc.

Now just shooting him wouldn't do much. He would come back to life, minus some money, as usual in GTA. At worst it would be a mild inconvenience.

I parked my car blocking the doors. He can't get out. I have been sitting there, standing on top of the parked car, looking into the windows of the now-blocked store he is in, flipping him off while he whines for the past hour.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

bucketmouse posted:

That's pretty dang good, especially the choice of name.

Orv
May 4, 2011

McScumbag posted:

So as Im sure you know, Grand Theft Auto Online is out.

People in it can go into stores to buy items, get hair cuts, rob the place, etc. While playing I found one annoying individual who had been saying how he was friends with the admins, so people better do what he says, etc. etc.

Now just shooting him wouldn't do much. He would come back to life, minus some money, as usual in GTA. At worst it would be a mild inconvenience.

I parked my car blocking the doors. He can't get out. I have been sitting there, standing on top of the parked car, looking into the windows of the now-blocked store he is in, flipping him off while he whines for the past hour.

If the stars are right that dude posted you doing this for two hours to Twitter. :allears:

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013

Orv posted:

If the stars are right that dude posted you doing this for two hours to Twitter. :allears:

Don't be a tease!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh right, sorry.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I guess we can all stop playing this since some hero has already beaten the game.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Oh right, sorry.

I see that people remain incapable of logging out when presented with a potentially multi-hour battle of patience. :allears:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
It's really the "2 hour part" that implies a truly epic battle of minds waging eternally, except one half probably just taped down a button on their controller. Brilliant.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I kind of wish that guy had used the in game camera's selfie picture function to take that shot.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Those discussions of table top griefs a few pages ago reminded me of the greatest grief I ever pulled.

The game was Mechwarrior: Dark Age, the clix miniatures version of Battletech. I used to be a pretty good player if I might be a bit modest but I didn't like playing the dominant (read "cheesy") tactics. That stuff never appeals to me and I generally tried out doing more specialized things.

I was playing in the national championships after winning a gigantic tournament to get my place there. I knew going in that there were certain styles of play I was almost certain to see. 95% of the dominant armies at the time consisted of artillery bombardment or fast moving helicopters. The mechs, which were the point of the game, tended to be overlooked because managing heat was so risky compared to using other forces.

I had a different plan. There were two mechs in the game that could stand in the middle of the table and hit almost the entire field. I built my forces around the strongest of these, one gigantic target that could pick off threats long before they could hit it. But there was a catch to this. Each player set up the terrain on the battlefield and a smart player wouldn't let an opponent with that kind of range domination have control of a wide open field in the middle.

However, there was a rule.

There were certain shapes that were the standard terrain types allowed in each battle. The players brought three of them and took turns putting things down. There was water which could cool a mech and block some movement, buildings that blocked line of sight, and rough terrain to provide cover bonuses. There was also one other piece of terrain that no one ever took because it was pointless: the low wall. It didn't block fire, only obstructed movement for weaker units, and generally did nothing on the battlefield. When I got to the constructed army portion of the tournament I brought three low walls with me as my terrain.

What players always forgot is that you didn't place your terrain. The terrain you brought was placed in a pool and both players could take from that pool. My provision for the pool was three useless strips that didn't even exist as far as my army was concerned and I took my opponent's terrain and placed them as out of the way as possible.

The results were beautiful. Every single person I played responded with essentially, "You can do that?" and then had their plans crumble. I parked my titan in the middle of the map and declared which of my opponent's units died that turn. It was far from an unbeatable strategy, I lost a couple of matches that day including the final one, but it was so unorthodox that it threw everyone off. I did make one person rage quit the championship when I beat him in the second round. :v:

The last person I played in the tournament was the only one who got into it and found the scenario amusing. Once he beat me, I wound up placing about twentieth out of a field of roughly two hundred that started.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm not sure it counts as a grief but League of Legends currently has a weird glitch involving a couple of "stacking items". Basically, when you buy these items they have mediocre stats, but as you get kills/assists, you gain stacks. Each stack gives you a small increase in stats and at 20 stacks you get a bonus in addition to the absurd amount of stats. Currently there are two of them (rip Leviathan). Mejai's Soulstealer, the first one, grants +8 AP per stack, at 20 stacks you gain 15% cooldown reduction (the cap is 40% so 15%'s pretty nice). The second one, Sword of the Occult, grants +5 AD per stack, and at 20 stacks you gain 15% movement speed. Fully stacked, these items give some of the highest stat gains in the game. Naturally, it's not good for your opponents if you hit 20 stacks because nothing will end well.

So, thanks to the current glitch, you can buy these stacking items (works best on champs that scale off both AD and AP, otherwise it's a waste) and immediately boost them each to 20 stacks. If you're good at farming you can have both these items at 20 stacks by about 10-15 minutes, which means you'll proceed to stomp the hell out of your opponent and whoever happens to come help. (It'd basically be like hitting level 18 while your opponent is level 8.)

It basically destroys the game for everyone involved because your team has no challenge anymore and your opponents have to devote ALL their time to making sure you don't plow straight into their base with your giant throbbing doublestack.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It seems they caught on since they've disabled the (recently added) Undo feature that made above glitch possible.

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Those discussions of table top griefs a few pages ago reminded me of the greatest grief I ever pulled.

The game was Mechwarrior: Dark Age, the clix miniatures version of Battletech. I used to be a pretty good player if I might be a bit modest but I didn't like playing the dominant (read "cheesy") tactics. That stuff never appeals to me and I generally tried out doing more specialized things.

I was playing in the national championships after winning a gigantic tournament to get my place there. I knew going in that there were certain styles of play I was almost certain to see. 95% of the dominant armies at the time consisted of artillery bombardment or fast moving helicopters. The mechs, which were the point of the game, tended to be overlooked because managing heat was so risky compared to using other forces.

I had a different plan. There were two mechs in the game that could stand in the middle of the table and hit almost the entire field. I built my forces around the strongest of these, one gigantic target that could pick off threats long before they could hit it. But there was a catch to this. Each player set up the terrain on the battlefield and a smart player wouldn't let an opponent with that kind of range domination have control of a wide open field in the middle.

However, there was a rule.

There were certain shapes that were the standard terrain types allowed in each battle. The players brought three of them and took turns putting things down. There was water which could cool a mech and block some movement, buildings that blocked line of sight, and rough terrain to provide cover bonuses. There was also one other piece of terrain that no one ever took because it was pointless: the low wall. It didn't block fire, only obstructed movement for weaker units, and generally did nothing on the battlefield. When I got to the constructed army portion of the tournament I brought three low walls with me as my terrain.

What players always forgot is that you didn't place your terrain. The terrain you brought was placed in a pool and both players could take from that pool. My provision for the pool was three useless strips that didn't even exist as far as my army was concerned and I took my opponent's terrain and placed them as out of the way as possible.

The results were beautiful. Every single person I played responded with essentially, "You can do that?" and then had their plans crumble. I parked my titan in the middle of the map and declared which of my opponent's units died that turn. It was far from an unbeatable strategy, I lost a couple of matches that day including the final one, but it was so unorthodox that it threw everyone off. I did make one person rage quit the championship when I beat him in the second round. :v:

The last person I played in the tournament was the only one who got into it and found the scenario amusing. Once he beat me, I wound up placing about twentieth out of a field of roughly two hundred that started.

Good read and very original. How did the guy ragequit? Did he stand up and clear the table?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fuzzyjello posted:

Good read and very original. How did the guy ragequit? Did he stand up and clear the table?

If it's anything like the board game "tourneys" I've played in, they have loser brackets as well as plain old pick up games to encourage the participants to also have fun while they're there. So this guy probably just got so mad he packed all his figs up and left :v:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If we're doing table top griefs, once my friends and I were doing a round robin game of Magic, a dozen people, you have to target the people on your sides for targetted abilities and attacks. About an hour and a half in, across the board from me three people were getting ready for a huge battle, probably 30-40 creatures between them. I was playing a black/artifact harassment deck. I wasted a couple cards that would've been decent against the guy next to me with a counterspell deck so he would waste his counterspells against them. Then I played my real target. Reiver Demon. In addition to being a powerful creature with flying, it has an additional ability: "When Reiver Demon enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, destroy all nonartifact, nonblack creatures. They can't be regenerated". Every single creature on the board besides mine were non-black, non-artifact creatures. :v: I ruined an hour and a half of people's battle preparations and half the people in the game ragequit, causing everyone else to quit too. It wasn't technically a victory, but it was a win in my mind.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If we're doing table top griefs, once my friends and I were doing a round robin game of Magic, a dozen people, you have to target the people on your sides for targetted abilities and attacks. About an hour and a half in, across the board from me three people were getting ready for a huge battle, probably 30-40 creatures between them. I was playing a black/artifact harassment deck. I wasted a couple cards that would've been decent against the guy next to me with a counterspell deck so he would waste his counterspells against them. Then I played my real target. Reiver Demon. In addition to being a powerful creature with flying, it has an additional ability: "When Reiver Demon enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand, destroy all nonartifact, nonblack creatures. They can't be regenerated". Every single creature on the board besides mine were non-black, non-artifact creatures. :v: I ruined an hour and a half of people's battle preparations and half the people in the game ragequit, causing everyone else to quit too. It wasn't technically a victory, but it was a win in my mind.

It's a different kind of win, but a win nonetheless.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If we're doing table top griefs, once my friends and I were doing a round robin game of Magic [...]
Ah, gimmicky Magic decks. I haven't played in a decade or so, but I remember I had two decks that people refused to play: one based around 'stasis' and one based around 'stroke of genius'.

Stasis
In Magic, you get an 'untap' phase to restore all your resources used from the previous round; lands that were used, characters that attacked, etc. Stasis prevented all players from untapping anything. Meanwhile, I would use creatures that didn't tap to attack or play 'kismet', which causes all cards coming into play to start tapped. That would buy me enough time to be able to destroy or return the stasis card to my hand on my opponent's turn... and then play it on my turn. My stuff untapped, theirs didn't. It's like sieging a castle; you just build up your army while theirs withers and roll in when you feel ready. I don't remember if anyone actually played a game to completion against that deck. Usually they would concede by the second time I had retrieved the stasis.

Stroke of Genius
Stroke of genius was an interesting card - it was basically "target player draws X cards from their deck". Players usually used it unimaginatively on themselves but, in Magic, if a player had to draw a card and was unable to do so they immediately lost. It was sort of an esoteric rule; most people were aware of it but it rarely came into play... unless some rear end in a top hat across the table from you forced you to draw an infinite number of cards from your deck.

Magic, being as complicated as it is, invariably has a few infinite-mana combos. I cobbled a combo together from my meager collection:

Ornithopter: a zero cost creature
Ashnod's Altar: sacrifice a creature to get mana
Enduring Renewal: any creature that dies goes into your hand

So basically the combo went like this: sacrifice the ornithopter to the altar -> Enduring Renewal puts it back into your hand -> play ornithopter again because it's free -> repeat -> cast Stroke of Genuis with infinite mana on opponent.

These tricks are super old-hat these days, but it was cutting-edge tomfoolery back when I played. My favorite deck is still my no-colored-mana-generating all-artifact deck. It rarely won, but it was good fun.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Didn't we have a stupid Magic tricks thread for combos like that at some point? That thread owned. Setting up perpetual mana-generation machines in that game always ends well.

I remember something similar involving thopters and Hell's Caretaker that could raise your entire graveyard in a single turn.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

For tabletop stuff I have a good story for Warmachine Mk1 (the first edition of the rules for people who don't play it)

I was playing against a friends brother using a very shooty infantry Khador (fantasy Soviets) army and he was using a very melee oriented Menoth (fantasy religious nuts) group.

Each army is led by a warcaster, a unique figure with spells and a feat that all play different from each other. Each warcaster has a stat called Focus which is basically your mana for the turn. You use it to cast spells, upkeep spells, and make warjacks (steampowered robots of death) do cool poo poo. Then if you double the Focus you get the command range which is the range to control warjacks and some spells are castable anywhere in the area. You can camp on Focus points instead of spending them to increase the armor of your caster 1 point per Focus. Following so far?

I was using Kommandant Irusk who specializes in making infantry less squishy with buffs and has a neat spell that turns his command range into rough terrain for all enemy models meaning unless they have special skills they can't get a charge off. It's an rear end in a top hat move to keep that spell up every turn but gently caress why not? Well apparently you don't have to measure that out and warn the opponent where the cutoff is you can just "Hey that guy just walked into my rough terrain" but I'm not a big enough rear end in a top hat to do that in a casual game so I always point out where it is.

My friends brother was using The Harbinger of Menoth a giant spell casting mammoth of a caster with a focus of 10. Lorewise she channels the righteous fury of the gods and as such gets all sorts of bullshit moves. An instant hit sword, boosted melee damage to units in her army and a couple others but the big one is a move that forces units to make a command check to see if they can bring themselves to shoot her. It's high enough that it can be an issue but overall it's not too big a deal. And she has a feat that makes any unit that ends their turn in her command range (20 inches) and has line of sight to her gets caught on fire.

And here is where the grief is finally. I have him on the ropes, his robots are down my infantry death ball is moving in and he can't get the charge against me which is where his army shines. So he camps his focus bringing her armor to a ridiculously high 24 that most infantry have issues hitting and pops her feat. In this game you can't move after shooting unless you have a special ability to which I didn't so I go to measure her command range so I know where the deadly fire is and he just looks at me and goes:

"What are you doing?":smug:
"Measuring your command range to see where my guys will get caught on fire at.":what:
"You can't do that. Only I can check her range and I don't want to."
"That's a bit of a dick move I showed you my rough terrain."
"But you didn't have to"
"Alright I'm not afraid"

So I activate my infantry death ball and just have them turn around. That puts her out of line of sight so they won't get set on fire then use my warcaster to set up rough terrain again. The dude was furious that I trivialized his feat like that. I'm pretty sure I ended up losing because she's still a tough caster to kill but her feat didn't drop anyone.

Short story: Guy tried to be a smug dick during a miniature game and I ruined his plan by literally turning around.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Ah, gimmicky Magic decks.

My favorite stupid gimmick deck was the Battle of Wits deck - basically, if you play Battle of Wits and it's still in play at the beginning of your next turn, if you have 200 or more cards left in your deck, you win. The entire deck was filled with cards that had two primary purposes - either to get Battle of Wits out of the deck and into your hand, or to protect it once it's in play. (There is usually some direct damage for hitting creatures, and other cards for dealing with creatures, but most of it is focused on the BoW.)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

m2pt5 posted:

My favorite stupid gimmick deck was the Battle of Wits deck - basically, if you play Battle of Wits and it's still in play at the beginning of your next turn, if you have 200 or more cards left in your deck, you win. The entire deck was filled with cards that had two primary purposes - either to get Battle of Wits out of the deck and into your hand, or to protect it once it's in play. (There is usually some direct damage for hitting creatures, and other cards for dealing with creatures, but most of it is focused on the BoW.)

:stare:

How tall would that kind of deck even be?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

See if you can guess who's playing BoW.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fuzzyjello posted:

As I recall after the game finished he stood up and said, "This is bullshit!" and stormed off. Not a glorious meltdown, but I'll take what I can get. The guy was a cheating rear end in a top hat who I should have set the judges on anyway. (Before anyone asks, he hid half his forces from me during the set up phase and used his watch as a timer for the match both of which were illegal. Since it didn't actually affect me beyond the "what an rear end in a top hat!" factor, I didn't say anything.)

death .cab for qt posted:

If it's anything like the board game "tourneys" I've played in, they have loser brackets as well as plain old pick up games to encourage the participants to also have fun while they're there. So this guy probably just got so mad he packed all his figs up and left :v:

This was the national championships and the second day of a three day event. You got your initial standing in the first day by playing constructing an army from random figures. The second day was your own army and that's the day I pulled my "Sorry, we're fighting in the middle of an empty wheat field!" strategy. Your win/loss record adjusted your standings on that day so you were always playing someone who was doing as well as you. There were no pick up games, but it was at a gaming convention so you could wander off to play on your own, I suppose. If I had won my last match I would have been an alternate in the finals on the third day.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 6, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just had a casual game of Pokemon master trainer while we prepare our DnD characters for a couple of weeks time. We figured we'd play something from our old collections to pass the time.

For anyone who doesn't know, the game revolves around getting enough pokemon to pass the PP requirements (each pokemon has a PP score) to get to the elite four and then use your best pokemon to fight a random trainer from the elite four. If you beat them, you beat the game. You usually need attack bonus cards to beat them reliably. I decided I didn't want to beat the game, I wanted to gently caress with people.

The game is set up so you all start with a singular pokemon. There are also item cards and event cards. By going forward, you can either land on a pokemon which you can try to capture via dice roll, event cards which can be anything from utter dick moves to fairly boring "draw item" cards and the aforementioned item cards.

Early on, I got a master ball card and the opportunity to catch mewtwo from an event, which if I used the master ball I would only have to not roll a one to catch it. I managed to grab it. From here I noticed two rules that I could abuse to make the game last a long time. Firstly, a knocked out pokemon doesn't count for PP scoring and is a bitch to revive (you need a potion card or to be really far away from the end in an early city space) and that when you beat another player in a battle you get two item cards, either from their pool or from the item deck, if they don't have enough cards to give you.

As everyone was all together and you can challenge other trainers to a fight if you are moving past them, I started challenging them all to fights as much as possible. As I kept collecting cards off of them, I quickly accumulated all of the master ball cards in the deck, all of the potions, all of the time machines (which can be used to make another player reroll their dice) and the highest attack bonus cards. I used the time machines to ensure that even if another player got the event to capture a legendary pokemon and managed to roll a the six necessary to capture it, that they'd have to reroll and not capture the pokemon.

By the end of the game, I had the entire deck in my hand except for a few cards. The only reason I didn't win that match is because my girlfriend was giving me a really dirty look, so I used the time machine card to reroll her dice when she was fighting the elite four as she lost the first roll. The second roll, she won and my friends made me promise not to hog all of the item cards next time.

The next game I was told to play guitar hero and let other people have fun. They're still coming around in a couple of weeks time, so it looks like they still had fun, despite getting increasingly annoyed at the sheer number of attacks I would launch against them. Every time they captured a new pokemon, i'd knock it out.

In short, my friends get pissy at me over a stupid pokemon game one of us had from their childhood.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
The Star Wars card game released a card that caused a lot of unintentional griefing due to poor design. This game was a two person game, one being the light side, the other being dark. You deploy your characters/starships on battlefield locations to fight the characters the other player deployed. Every turn you control a location unopposed you can force drain the other player, making them lose cards. If you win a very lopsided battle, the other player could potentially lose a large amount of cards. Once your deck is gone, you lose the game.

The very first expansion introduced "undercover spies". A card with the word spy in its lore could deploy anywhere, and a second card buff makes them undercover. Undercover spies block force drains, but aren't actually present so they can't be fought in a normal battle. The only real danger to using undercover spies was if the undercover card was removed somehow, then you likely have a lonely spy sitting in front of a huge enemy group, ready to suffer a huge beatdown costing you a lot of cards.

Enter this fucker:

It deploys as an undercover spy (saving you a card and some resources), and doesn't risk a massive beatdown if it gets discovered. And all it costs you is that it adds 1 to the strength of the enemy at that location. It's a really good card; it was also a fairly rare and valuable one. The use of the word "stolen" in the card is a game mechanic thing, "stolen" cards are returned after games.

The grief:
Stealing the card. U-3PO clearly looks like a light side card. It is in fact a dark side card (it has an Empire symbol on the other side like all dark side cards). When you play it, it forces you to put it on the battlefield for the light side player. I don't know how many thousands of U-3PO cards were accidentally or intentionally taken by the light side player at the end of games, but it had to be a lot because of this. I lost one that way. Tournaments usually had in their rules (somewhere after how to score and report a match) the rule "Give back U-3PO".

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

One time when I was young a kid at my school beat up another kid for his pokemon cards and got pokemon cards banned from the school, a very good grief.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Control Volume posted:

One time when I was young a kid at my school beat up another kid for his pokemon cards and got pokemon cards banned from the school, a very good grief.

Pokemon cards were banned from my school as well. Nobody got beat up for them, they were just straight up being stolen and it resulted in a whole lot of complaints and accusations.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Ah, gimmicky Magic decks. I haven't played in a decade or so, but I remember I had two decks that people refused to play: one based around 'stasis' and one based around 'stroke of genius'.

My current gimmick deck is based around (1)Panoptic Mirror + Temporal Extortion, (2)Timesifter, (3)Darksteel Forge, (4)Magus of the Mirror and (5)Morality Shift. If all goes well, every time it's my turn I get infinite turns until someone sacrifices half their life(1), when it's not my turn everyone has to exile the top card of their deck and the exiled card with the highest converted mana cost determines who takes the next turn which grinds down everyone's decks and randomizes turn order(2), the first two cards are indestructable(3) and if people somehow manage to grind my deck or life down I can either switch someone else's life with mine(4) or switch my Graveyard and Library(5). It's a bit weak in the early game, but if I survive to mid-late, everyone hates me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Magic sounds like a game where everything is competing gimmicks.

• Locked thread