Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
There's this one part in The Untouchables where the main character thinks his kids are in danger, so he runs into his house brandishing a gun. He goes into his daughter's room, sees that she's okay, embraces her and everything is all right. Except that his gun is lined up to his daughter's head and his finger's on the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
As incredibly dumb as that is I can see why someone who was just a few moments ago concerned his kids might be hurt would space on trigger discipline. We're not always perfectly functioning logical machines.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Celery Face posted:

There's this one part in The Untouchables where the main character thinks his kids are in danger, so he runs into his house brandishing a gun. He goes into his daughter's room, sees that she's okay, embraces her and everything is all right. Except that his gun is lined up to his daughter's head and his finger's on the trigger.

I haven't seen it so I can't really comment properly, but maybe it was done on purpose as a symbolic thing?

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

I just watched Pacific Rim and loved every goofy second of it, even the nonsense plot mechanics, terrible acting and even the grating accents (as an aussie there's no way either of the actors playing Australians have ever even heard an Australian before) but for some reason every time anyone used the phrase "neural handshake" I cringed so so hard. Even writing it now is painful. Of all the stupid things in that movie, I have no idea why that grates on me so much.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Breakfast Burrito posted:

I just watched Pacific Rim and loved every goofy second of it, even the nonsense plot mechanics, terrible acting and even the grating accents (as an aussie there's no way either of the actors playing Australians have ever even heard an Australian before) but for some reason every time anyone used the phrase "neural handshake" I cringed so so hard. Even writing it now is painful. Of all the stupid things in that movie, I have no idea why that grates on me so much.

Neural Handshake failed.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Breakfast Burrito posted:

I was curious as to what an actual Australian thought of them, as it sounded fine to me a foreigner. I know your pain though, Irish accents in films... :smith:

I think the 'handshake' part came from computing. A 'handshake' is how a computer and another computer/device/printer etc. set up a connection with each other.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

I was curious as to what an actual Australian thought of them, as it sounded fine to me a foreigner. I know your pain though, Irish accents in films... :smith:

I think the 'handshake' part came from computing. A 'handshake' is how a computer and another computer/device/printer etc. set up a connection with each other.

I'm Australian too and I thought they sounded pretty accurate for what a very strong rural Aussie accent sounds like, it's just that a) the vast majority of Australians don't talk like that and b) aside from the actual sounds they were making they weren't talking like people who have that accent, if that makes sense. Their vocabulary was definitely off, for one thing.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm Australian too and I thought they sounded pretty accurate for what a very strong rural Aussie accent sounds like, it's just that a) the vast majority of Australians don't talk like that and b) aside from the actual sounds they were making they weren't talking like people who have that accent, if that makes sense. Their vocabulary was definitely off, for one thing.

I have a pal from Adelaide who said she thought the accents were ok too. I get that all right, but I assume they were trying to avoid "ooooh crikey moight a dingo oight my baby". The really stereotypical cartoonish kind of dialogue really bad writers use.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

I'm from Adelaide and I think the best description I read of what the Pacific Rim accent sounds like was "South African cockney". They absolutely sound like no Australian I've ever come across and I've traveled to every state at one point or another... I've come to expect it though, it seems like no-one that isn't Australian can do a convincing Aussie accent.

As for the handshake thing, I had no idea that was actually a computing term. Still, I feel like it is absolutely my irrationally irritating movie moments because I really cannot justify or understand why it annoyed me so much.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I liked Quentin Tarantino's Australian accent in Django. It wasn't 100% spot on but seemed very convincing to me, especially for how a country-bumpkin would speak in the 1800s.

I haven't seen Pacific Rim - do any youtube videos exist of the attempted aussie accent? I'd like to hear it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

fuckpot posted:

I liked Quentin Tarantino's Australian accent in Django. It wasn't 100% spot on but seemed very convincing to me, especially for how a country-bumpkin would speak in the 1800s.

I haven't seen Pacific Rim - do any youtube videos exist of the attempted aussie accent? I'd like to hear it.

Checked there, only super great fan videos with music.

Fair enough, Burrito! Just thought I'd bring it up in case.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

fuckpot posted:

Here's a lovely handicam video of one of them talking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlE3mexwY5Q&t=41s

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

As a non-Australian they just sound the same as the people on Home & Away

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who gives a gently caress about the Australian pilots when that adorable dog is in every scene?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Who gives a gently caress about the Australian pilots when that adorable dog is in every scene?

I kept waiting for the dog to pilot his own puppy-Jäger so he could bravely bite a kaiju on the ankle at a pivotal moment. :3:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

LeJackal posted:

I kept waiting for the dog to pilot his own puppy-Jäger so he could bravely bite a kaiju on the ankle at a pivotal moment. :3:

Gotta save some things for the sequel.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Celery Face posted:

Also, why did they cast Sean Connery to play an Irish guy?
Or, indeed, an Egyptian guy living in Spain.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Related somewhat to the topic on hand, and perhaps actually rational, but I hate that they get actors who aren't the nationality to speak in an accent that isn't theirs. American/Canadian accents are excepted from this peeve. I can only really tell a bad English accent since I watch a lot of BBC shows, but I have no idea if a South African or Chinese or Australian accent is bad or not. Hell, there was an episode of Chuck where Yvonne Strahovski spoke in her real accent, and I thought it was the shittiest Australian accent I'd ever heard because apparently I'd never actually HEARD one.

If they're going to insist on getting someone to fake an accent, I wish they'd spend as much effort getting it right as they do convincing me the movie won't suck.

I'd also love it if Americans were allowed to do period pieces with their normal accent. Game of Thrones is a good example. Tons of different peoples with loads of different accents, all of them European or from the Middle East.

Sleepy Hollow is very, very guilty of this. Current research suggests that the Midwest American accent is what EVERYONE sounded like back then. Even the Brits. We kept it, they mutated. Ichabod Crane, of course, speaks with a current British accent.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kruller posted:

Sleepy Hollow is very, very guilty of this. Current research suggests that the Midwest American accent is what EVERYONE sounded like back then. Even the Brits. We kept it, they mutated. Ichabod Crane, of course, speaks with a current British accent.

My pet peeve with that show is there's only what, 3 episodes out so far and in every single one of them they just *have to* point out that the main character is black. Wow! I never knew a black woman could become a police officer! In the second episode they're already trying to pry into her love life. Could we just let her actually have a story arc first before we start pulling out all the race related stuff?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Speaking of crappy accents, I watched Van Helsing for the first time in years and realized that Kate Beckinsale's "Romanian" accent was godawful. Also, it was pretty stupid that she's supposed to be a badass vampire slayer but has to get rescued every five minutes.

If we're talking about tv shows, there's one thing in Orange Is The New Black that really confuses me. I love that show but it's baffling that the main character, Piper, is really obviously bisexual, but everyone on the show just calls her "gay" or "straight." When Piper explains to her family that she had a relationship with a woman, they ask her if she's still a lesbian even though she's engaged to a (very unlikeable) dude. When she later cheats on her fiance with the same women, his reaction isn't "oh my god, my fiance's cheating on me," as much as "oh my god, Piper's gay now!" Even Piper's ex girlfriend calls her as a "straight girl" at one point. To be fair, Piper tries to explain to her friends that she's attracted to both men and women but they cut her off. It's weird, I've seen a lot of tv shows and movies with the same problem.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Worst accent = Don Cheadle in Oceans 11.

Also one of many irritating moments in that movie, when a guy gets thousands of dollars knocked off the price of some vans just by squeezing the salesmans hand really hard. Stupid and irritating scene.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Kruller posted:

Current research suggests that the Midwest American accent is what EVERYONE sounded like no then. Even the Brits.

That's true, but having a British character speak with what to the modern world is an American accent is going to sound incredibly wrong to anyone who isn't into historical linguistics enough to know that. Which is to say, most of the viewing audience. It's why Jason Isaacs and not, say, Tommy Lee Jones, was cast as the villain in The Patriot. They sacrifice a minor detail of historical accuracy that most people don't even know for the sake of dramatic believability on a broader scale.

Funny how many actors are actually really good at the "American" accent. I originally had Jeremy Irons instead of Tommy Lee Jones, but it turns out he's English. So is Tom Hardy, for that matter.

The thing that gets me is when they have somebody speaking a foreign language in a movie and their pronunciation is loving atrocious or the language is poorly translated. Don't expect me to buy your German assassin when he speaks German with a heavy American accent. It's two thousand goddamned thirteen, cast somebody who actually speaks loving German or French or whatever.

That said, in The Sum of All Fears Ciarán Hinds played a pretty good Russian for an Irish guy who doesn't speak Russian.

Edit:

Celery Face posted:

"Oh my god, Piper's gay now!"

I figured that was a pretty realistic depiction of how stupid people are about bisexuality. I've personally known people who think it's like a switch, like sometimes you're gay and other times you're straight.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Oct 6, 2013

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The thing that gets me is when they have somebody speaking a foreign language in a movie and their pronunciation is loving atrocious or the language is poorly translated. Don't expect me to buy your German assassin when he speaks German with a heavy American accent. It's two thousand goddamned thirteen, cast somebody who actually speaks loving German or French or whatever.

I think the height of my hatred for this was Johnny loving Depp playing a role that should have went to a Native American actor.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I figured that was a pretty realistic depiction of how stupid people are about bisexuality. I've personally known people who think it's like a switch, like sometimes you're gay and other times you're straight.
Yeah, it does make sense because almost everyone Piper knows outside prison is an idiot, but it got pretty confusing when everyone besides her had the same attitude. Most people aren't that dumb.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Slim Killington posted:

I think the height of my hatred for this was Johnny loving Depp playing a role that should have went to a Native American actor.

The only reason that movie even got made was because of Johnny Depp, so we have two things to be mad at him for.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Celery Face posted:

Yeah, it does make sense because almost everyone Piper knows outside prison is an idiot, but it got pretty confusing when everyone besides her had the same attitude. Most people aren't that dumb.

You're pretty lucky if you live somewhere where most people aren't that dumb about bisexuality.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
While we're complaining about Johnny Depp's accents, I'd like to throw Finding Neverland onto the pile. Maybe a Scot could confirm it, but his Scottish accent sounded awful to me. Maybe it was just because everyone else had an English accent and it really stood out.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Organza Quiz posted:

You're pretty lucky if you live somewhere where most people aren't that dumb about bisexuality.

Yeah, didn't you know? In mainstream America, there is no "B" in LGBT. Just be thankful the show had a woman in the role, so she could still be "confused" and "experimenting".

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, didn't you know? In mainstream America, there is no "B" in LGBT. Just be thankful the show had a woman in the role, so she could still be "confused" and "experimenting".
Oh, there are non-confused bisexual characters in American media, but equal opportunity molesters might be a better way to describe them.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Slim Killington posted:

To be fair the character's name is Tonto, or in Spanish "stupid." His original incarnation is racist as gently caress as well so there's really no winning in that situation unless you rename the character.

Or you know not make the movie because it's a horrible loving idea.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, didn't you know? In mainstream America, there is no "B" in LGBT.

Lately they have been cramming all sorts of extra letters into GLBT, Qs and Xs and gently caress all else. In some parts of Canada its 14 letters long which is crazy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My undergrad college used LGBTQQIAA

lesbian gay bisexual transgendered queer questioning intersexual asexual & allies

Why not just say "the center where we don't give a poo poo about your sexual orientation"?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Because even if you are unique in your sexual orientation and gender, you absolutely have to have a term associated with it that you can tell everyone to refer to you by and otherwise you might get offended. Haven't you ever browsed the #sexuality tag on tumblr?

edit: vvvv I'm making fun of tumblr, I dunno what you're talking about v:shobon:v

edit: I should note that when I made this post, I thought this discussion was taking place in the poo poo that didn't happen thread. Turns out it's not! Whoops?

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:36 on Oct 6, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I like how we went from complaining about how mainstream culture alienates sexualities outside of the gay/straight binary to mocking people's sexualities for being different in, like, 3 posts. Good poo poo in the mad at movies thread today.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Slim Killington posted:

No, it's cool. The Comanche adopted him and he's totes gonna buy Wounded Knee.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

LeafyOrb posted:

To be fair the character's name is Tonto, or in Spanish "stupid." His original incarnation is racist as gently caress as well so there's really no winning in that situation unless you rename the character.

Or you know not make the movie because it's a horrible loving idea.

It would have been more tolerable if Depp's character was actually a white guy pretending to be a native american.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
http://www.nativecelebs.com/actors8.htm

I googled Native American actors to see if I could find a suitable replacement and that site says Depp has a Cherokee maternal grandmother. I'm from Australia and I am sure Native American ancestry is a complicated affair so I don't really know if that means anything. Also I would hardly call that a definitive list.

Are there any Native American actors with a profile comparable to Depp's? That movie cost $225-250 million to make. That's a serious investment and I reckon they'd feel it's imperative to get Depp's name in the billing. I couldn't even tell you who played the Lone Ranger and I saw the trailer a few times (it looked awful). Maybe they could have had Depp playing that guy and hired a lesser profile or even no-name actor to play Tonto.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

fuckpot posted:

http://www.nativecelebs.com/actors8.htm

I googled Native American actors to see if I could find a suitable replacement and that site says Depp has a Cherokee maternal grandmother. I'm from Australia and I am sure Native American ancestry is a complicated affair so I don't really know if that means anything. Also I would hardly call that a definitive list.

Are there any Native American actors with a profile comparable to Depp's? That movie cost $225-250 million to make. That's a serious investment and I reckon they'd feel it's imperative to get Depp's name in the billing. I couldn't even tell you who played the Lone Ranger and I saw the trailer a few times (it looked awful). Maybe they could have had Depp playing that guy and hired a lesser profile or even no-name actor to play Tonto.

Yeah this is the classic Catch-22 for minority actors. There's not that many minority roles in cinema or TV (or even on stage), which means there's not many famous minority actors, which leads studios to whitewash minority roles, which means there's not that many minority roles in cinema beyond non-speaking "latin gangbanger #2" and "asian store owner," let alone for even smaller minority groups like native americans. The ones that are left often have to struggle in humiliating stereotyped parts as bit players for decades.

OXBALLS DOT COM has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Oct 6, 2013

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

hyperhazard posted:

While we're complaining about Johnny Depp's accents, I'd like to throw Finding Neverland onto the pile. Maybe a Scot could confirm it, but his Scottish accent sounded awful to me. Maybe it was just because everyone else had an English accent and it really stood out.

To be honest I tried a few clips for research and I cannot name you any American actors who have done better than Depp at the Scottish accent; for the region and social class he is going for he is like 80% there at least, so it's probably just unfamiliar more than anything, or that in general Depp can't not sound affected no matter how technically proficient he gets.

Outright awful Scottish accents would be like, Jessica Lange in Rob Roy, or Christopher Lambert in Highlander (although that's balanced out by Sean Connery's cheerful non-effort at sounding like an Egyptian Spaniard). I guess what irks me is Mike Myers having done a pretty accomplished brogue in 1993 for So I Married An Axe Murderer and then needlessly wheeling out ever shittier Scottish (and English) accents for the next twenty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah this is the classic Catch-22 for minority actors. There's not that many minority roles in cinema or TV (or even on stage), which means there's not many famous minority actors, which leads studios to whitewash minority roles, which means there's not that many minority roles in cinema beyond non-speaking "latin gangbanger #2" and "asian store owner," let alone for even smaller minority groups like native americans. The ones that are left often have to struggle in humiliating stereotyped parts as bit players for decades.

Yeah the level it gets self fulfilling is pretty bad too. Geisha got a lot of flack for using Chinese actors (From both Japanese and Chinese communities.) but they did advertise for Japanese actors. No one showed. So the choice was using other Asian actors or not make the movie.

• Locked thread