Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Bad Munki posted:

That is a tall dragon. :stare:

I won that thing in a contest years back. It's easily over a foot tall, with the wings tilted a little differently. I ended up being so intimidated to paint the thing that I gave it away to friends a year or three ago.

Now I need to decide if I want to take another crack at it. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It looks all goofy and gangly and poo poo, it's kind of the first dragon I'm interested in from this campaign. I didn't get any from the last bones campaign, although I sorta regret a couple of them. This one, though, the dragons have been largely uninteresting (to me.)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Kerzoro posted:

Nono. trying to MAKE it. As in, trying to PUT IT TOGETHER and hoping it stays that way.

The pinning, the green stuff, the balancing of the entire thing, and the hoping it doesn't slip from your/other people's hands and to the floor, and the WEIGHT of the thing.

The Bones one? I put it together in like 5-10 minutes, and if it falls to the floor chances are It's going to be just fine.

Also didn't the Bones one end up being way huger than the metal one? Like, the fact that the metal one is cheaper at retail should be a gigantic tipoff.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

JerryLee posted:

Also didn't the Bones one end up being way huger than the metal one? Like, the fact that the metal one is cheaper at retail should be a gigantic tipoff.

Yes, somewhere along the lines from initial sculpt to the mold being made someone made a mistake and the Bones version of Kaladrax Reborn ended up being larger than the original metal version.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm. The Project Update #35 email had it at $15, but it's $10 on the site, so I guess the $15 was an error. I really don't need more dragons but that is a pretty cool dragon.

And yeah, the gap between stretch goals with this addition is $136k, and that's encouraging. Reaper really wants to make it reasonable to hit a stretch goal per day, or they're going to lose too much momentum.

According to Kicktraq, they got 559 new backers and $98.5k in new pledges yesterday. That's a steep drop from the 1525 new backers and $225k they got Wednesday, on day 2 of the kickstarter. They don't want to see another similar amount of drop-off today.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Leperflesh posted:

And yeah, the gap between stretch goals with this addition is $136k, and that's encouraging. Reaper really wants to make it reasonable to hit a stretch goal per day, or they're going to lose too much momentum.

According to Kicktraq, they got 559 new backers and $98.5k in new pledges yesterday. That's a steep drop from the 1525 new backers and $225k they got Wednesday, on day 2 of the kickstarter. They don't want to see another similar amount of drop-off today.

It's pretty early in the day and they have nearly a third of what they made yesterday, so it may well be working.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

That's not Kaladrax Reborn. The secret of Kaladrax Reborn is that the Chinese factory messed up. You know that odd woman holding her hand up you got in Bones that was meant to go with Kaladrax? He was meant to be able to rest his chin on her hand, and Kaladrax wasn't meant to be much bigger than the other $10 dragons.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The website is now showing Velocithrax at $15 in the graphic, but still $10 in the text.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

neonchameleon posted:

That's not Kaladrax Reborn. The secret of Kaladrax Reborn is that the Chinese factory messed up. You know that odd woman holding her hand up you got in Bones that was meant to go with Kaladrax? He was meant to be able to rest his chin on her hand, and Kaladrax wasn't meant to be much bigger than the other $10 dragons.

Wait, what? You mean he wasn't supposed to be a 3' monster?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
All I can say is more purple, less everything else please.

(Also, enough with the dragons already).

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Kerzoro posted:

Eh, its Bones. Just put it in a larger base and it should be fine.

... Can you honestly imagine trying to make something like Kaladrax in metal? @_@

What I mean is that dragon's legs and body are super skinny. I'm afraid he'll just bend in half from his own weight. Bones can be bendy in the thin parts.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Peas and Rice posted:

I don't, sorry. I put all that together by hand from what's on the Kickstarter site.

I'd kind of forgotten that Kaladrax was $10. Easily the best $10 I've ever spent on a fantasy figure.

Edit:

I've been reading Playing At The World, which is an exhaustive history of the origins of D&D, and one of my key takeaways from that books was that early days of the game were all about GMs trying to dick over their players.

I suspect Kaladrax may be one of those dumbass taxes they mentioned - even if it was their mistake on the tooling, I suspect the factory probably still charged them more-or-less full price for the materials. Kaladrax MUST have been sold at a huge loss.

E: also, meh, more dragons. The stretch goals really aren't wowing me, nor are many of the core bits.

I'll maybe get back on the boards later in the campaign and have a chat to see if any UK goons might be willing to part with or exchange some bits from this one, maybe for some bones 1 bits, and a consideration in the postage, for the few bits I'd really like.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Indolent Bastard posted:

All I can say is more purple, less everything else please.

(Also, enough with the dragons already).

Seriously. There isn't $100 worth of stuff that I want and would pay $100 for in the core, and every update makes that look less likely to change. There's two other categories of stretch goal (expansion, add-on) and it's apparent that there's going to be at least one more expansion to siphon away from the $100 core.

Yeah it's how you make money, but it's also how you sell fewer core sets.

E: I realize it's early and it will get better. But come on guys, get better.

moths fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 4, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

moths posted:

Seriously. There isn't $100 worth of stuff that I want and would pay $100 for in the core, and every update makes that look less likely to change. There's two other categories of stretch goal (expansion, add-on) and it's apparent that there's going to be at least one more expansion to siphon away from the $100 core.

Yeah it's how you make money, but it's also how you sell fewer core sets.

E: I realize it's early and it will get better. But come on guys, get better.

I agree. Both with your original point and your edit. I can honestly see bailing on the core and just grabbing a Kraken, the mouslings, and a paint set. The core is good, but I don't need any of this stuff, and worse if (like you) I only want 30% of the core set, that makes the models $3 each; not much of a deal at that point.

We will see...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Update #36 is about international shipping. Rather than copy/pasting the whole thing here, I suggest reading it on the KS page.

Importantly, note that Shipping Example 1 uses First Class International, while Examples 2 and 3 use Priority International (which is more expensive) in addition to using higher weights and higher declared values.

Using the USPS price estimator, a $100, 4lb package going to the UK costs $35.06 for First Class International, or $50.34 for Priority International (in a non-flat rate box, using internet pricing, max. length 60", max. length plus girth combined 108")

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 4, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Even with shipping, you're still getting a better-then-retail deal. Just, for me, not enough better than retail given that I don't want most of the things. I'll see if there's a killer app that gets me back on board, but I doubt it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leperflesh posted:

Update #36 is about international shipping. Rather than copy/pasting the whole thing here, I suggest reading it on the KS page.

Importantly, note that Shipping Example 1 uses First Class International, while Examples 2 and 3 use Priority International (which is more expensive) in addition to using higher weights and higher declared values.

Using the USPS price estimator, a $100, 4lb package going to the UK costs $35.06 for First Class International, or $50.34 for Priority International (in a non-flat rate box, using internet pricing, max. length 60", max. length plus girth combined 108")

One of my other kickstarters (can't recall which one) got around this by shipping everything to some local distributor. Saved a fortune on shipping directly from the states even with the distributors fees. Surprised more don't do that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I was wondering about the same thing myself. It takes resourcing to ship this sort of thing, but it's probably cheaper than paying commercial rates to individually ship internationally. For the sorts of numbers we're talking (I think there were 1000 or so UK backers, could be wrong, not sure I've seen a numbers breakdown for nationalities), setting up a UK distro base would make a lot of sense. Ditto Australia, far less distance to ship the antipodean orders.

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Azhais posted:

One of my other kickstarters (can't recall which one) got around this by shipping everything to some local distributor. Saved a fortune on shipping directly from the states even with the distributors fees. Surprised more don't do that.

Numenera got to me in Spain through UK distribution. I guess they have weighed their options, but, seeing how they'll have to ship thousands of minis to europe, it does seem strange they are not using the same model.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So for those of you who were in on Bones I, how long after the KS closed did they give to shuffle your add-ons around?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

neongrey posted:

So for those of you who were in on Bones I, how long after the KS closed did they give to shuffle your add-ons around?

It took a long time, because they had to write their own survey tool thingy. I think it was a good 8 weeks or more? I assume they'll use the same tool this time, though, so it'll probably be a shorter wait.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Leperflesh posted:

It took a long time, because they had to write their own survey tool thingy. I think it was a good 8 weeks or more? I assume they'll use the same tool this time, though, so it'll probably be a shorter wait.

Yeah, it was a fair bit between the end and the pledge manager. I'm still on the fence, but after painting my first five or six bones, I think that the material is better than I expected. But at the same time, I have tons of them already.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I know it's not Bones 2 talk, but I painted some of the rocker bards I posted about 10 pages ago:

I'm going to try for all 5 for this month's Oath, time and visitors allowing.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

No, I meant time between when the pledge manager rolls out out and when they locked it down. I'm probably going to be doing a fair bit of post-KS adding on, since this thing ends the same day as a local con, so my Bones money and con money are sharing the same pool of fun money*, so depending on how late I can keep adding on out of a different month's entertainment budget, that would be nice.

*I apologize for the emphasis on fun money here, but I would like to pre-empt the Leperflesh lecture about budgeting and make it clear that all money involved is pre-allocated entertainment money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

neongrey posted:

No, I meant time between when the pledge manager rolls out out and when they locked it down. I'm probably going to be doing a fair bit of post-KS adding on, since this thing ends the same day as a local con, so my Bones money and con money are sharing the same pool of fun money*, so depending on how late I can keep adding on out of a different month's entertainment budget, that would be nice.

*I apologize for the emphasis on fun money here, but I would like to pre-empt the Leperflesh lecture about budgeting and make it clear that all money involved is pre-allocated entertainment money.

Alright, I've searched back through my emails. Reaper Bones I update #75 was the last email that mentioned that you can still use their backer tool to add money to your pledge. It was sent on October 10, 2012.

The pledge manager became available with Update #69, sent out on Sept. 28, 2012. In that email, they specifically said that it would need to be locked down within ten days, because they were already running behind schedule for getting production going. My expectation is that this time around, we'll probably get more time.

edit: oh yeah also, Reaper Bones II attracted just 209 new backers today, and $35k of pledges. At that rate we won't hit the next stretch goal until Monday. I think it's expected that this will lose some momentum but this is too steep of a momentum-loss and Reaper need to do something this week to renew interest.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 6, 2013

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I suspect this is why neither Pinnacle nor Paizo have made announcements yet. They're holding it in reserve to boost momentum.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Alright, I've searched back through my emails. Reaper Bones I update #75 was the last email that mentioned that you can still use their backer tool to add money to your pledge. It was sent on October 10, 2012.

The pledge manager became available with Update #69, sent out on Sept. 28, 2012. In that email, they specifically said that it would need to be locked down within ten days, because they were already running behind schedule for getting production going. My expectation is that this time around, we'll probably get more time.

Okay, thanks. That should work out all right, all told.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

edit: oh yeah also, Reaper Bones II attracted just 209 new backers today, and $35k of pledges. At that rate we won't hit the next stretch goal until Monday. I think it's expected that this will lose some momentum but this is too steep of a momentum-loss and Reaper need to do something this week to renew interest.

Clearly Reaper needs to do something to salvage the disaster of a Kickstarter that's only approaching 5,000% funded.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

homullus posted:

Clearly Reaper needs to do something to salvage the disaster of a Kickstarter that's only approaching 5,000% funded.

Haha OK, point taken I guess. But I think a lot of people - myself included - jumped in early to grab early shipping dates but are not sold yet on their $100 pledges and are willing to pull out if this doesn't get significantly better by the end. A loss of momentum is bad not only because it stops attracting new pledges, but also because it gives the current backers lots of time to reconsider and examine their wallets and maybe decide they don't need to do this after all.

A steady sweetening of the pot heads that off by keeping everyone excited and engaged. If I check the KS once a day and find that I've got something cool to add on or that's been added to my starter set, I'm happy and engaged and chatting about it with other people on facebook and the enthusiasm builds.

But yes, obviously this KS will be funded and Reaper's gonna bring in over a million dollars and it's hard to call that a failure.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I bought in for Mouslings and that's all. I do not want any more fantasy figs and the limited Chronoscape selection doesn't thrill me either.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I bought in for Mouslings and that's all. I do not want any more fantasy figs and the limited Chronoscape selection doesn't thrill me either.

Ya, the more time I get to think about it, the more I feel like I should just cancel my pledge and throw $40 at a friend to pick up some add-ons for me. Especially since the last Bones KS left me with an eleven pound box of fantasy minis to paint and it looks like the chronoscope line isn't going to see any real support in Bones.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Someone earlier was asking for a checklist thing, like there was with the original bones. People on the Reaper forums have started matching up Bones II minis with their current versions: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/51663-ks-bones-ii-list-of-miniatures/

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah, reading through that thread, someone pointed out that Sir Forscale is a real figure: "Garrick the Bold". :)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
What's funny is that I've seen a lot of other companies use Sir Garrick for scale shots, mostly for terrain. Pretty sure Dwarven Forge used him. Maybe Hirst.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

JackMann posted:

What's funny is that I've seen a lot of other companies use Sir Garrick for scale shots, mostly for terrain. Pretty sure Dwarven Forge used him. Maybe Hirst.

Pretty sure Hirst hasn't had a kickstarter, though some groups that use his molds have.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

JackMann posted:

This makes me want to buy him and build a diorama of him rampaging over 6mm figures. Sir Forscales revenge!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Dagon posted:

Someone earlier was asking for a checklist thing, like there was with the original bones. People on the Reaper forums have started matching up Bones II minis with their current versions: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/51663-ks-bones-ii-list-of-miniatures/

This list is great. It helped me realize that out of the current core list of miniatures I really only want these minis

I still want some add-ons, but why am I going to blow $100 on minis I could get for around $10 for all 3 (combined, they are all only $19 in metal right now!)? I still have my mini pile from the first KS, I don't need more "generic warrior with sword", I already have a dozen of them.

I know why Reaper did the Core Set Expansions, and I know this KS will make them a good pile of cash, but I don't think I'm in for the core set anymore. (Granted I will wait until the end to pull out, but things will need to get much more enticing for me to keep my Core Pledge.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Indolent Bastard posted:

I still want some add-ons, but why am I going to blow $100 on minis I could get for around $10 for all 3

I'm kind of leaning this way as well, especially after thinking about the pile of stuff I have to paint! If the core expansion stays as good as it is right now I'll probably get that and a handful of add-ons but with postage costing $70 or so to the UK I'll probably have to limit myself to about $200 for the pledge amount. They'll probably allow you to alter what you get afterwards anyway, didn't they do that for Bones 1?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Dropping to $1 and just getting some a la carte addons keeps looking better. Which isn't what I want to be doing in a Bones Kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
I think there'd be a lot less blowback if they'd just done the Core Set at $150 and included what's in both the core and the expansion, instead of splitting it up like they're doing now.

• Locked thread