Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Cockmaster posted:

Well, there was this thing:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/930368578/openpcr-open-source-biotech-on-your-desktop?ref=live

Now someone just needs to find a way to make a DNA synthesizer out of a Raspberry Pi and laser-cut plywood.

Thing is, a lot of work involving DNA is actually very straightforward. Like PCR machines: it's just a heating block with a very accurate timed thermostat, all a PCR machine does is heat things up to a certain temperature very rapidly, hold them there for a very specific length of time, change the temperature to another specific level, hold it THERE for a measured time, and so on. Each stage of the cycle lasts 30 seconds to about ten minutes, and then the machine just repeats that program 20-50 times. You probably COULD build a DNA (or at least oligonucleotide) synthesizer out of plywood and a raspberry pi, as a surprising amount of DNA based work doesn't actually require enormous physical precision, just a specific regime of temperatures and chemicals mixed in the right order at the right times, with all the molecular level "construction work" being done by enzymes.

Also the idea that getting started with PCR would cost "$4000-$10,000" is just straight up misleading, because it's based entirely on the price of NEW modern thermocyclers, when the technology has been around for decades. A lot of these new machines are designed for more advanced quantitative PCR and Real Time PCR too, which is utterly unnecessary for doing a DNA barcode of a tree or sequencing a mitochondrial gene. If you want to do basic PCR at home, you can pick up a fully working used thermocycler for $200 or less on ebay (under half the price of the KITS this kickstarter sells), no home enthusiast or "hackerspace" needs to be purchasing brand new lab equipment when there is an absolute TON of working used kit on the market for a fraction of the price. Given the capabilities of modern machines and the basic level of the experiments most home users would be doing, it would be like buying a brand new BMW for banger racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
I was told to put this here:

HuniePop: A Dating Puzzle RPG by Ryan Koons

quote:

HuniePop is a unique RPG experience for PC, Mac and Linux. It's a gameplay first approach that's part dating sim, part puzzle game, with RPG-like systems and a visual novel style presentation. HuniePop joins inspiring works like Dream C Club, Chobits, DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball, Catherine and many of the wonderful dating sims out there in celebrating romance, beauty and sexuality.

It's an independent effort by a western developer (though our team is all around the world) for a western audience with the goal of breathing some new life into a genre that is greatly underrepresented both in the western market and the independent games scene. Personally, I believe dating sims can stand among the most beloved game genres out there today with the right level of passion and care!

The love goddess, being disappointed by the lack of romance in your life, decides to send Kyu, a magic love fairy, to help you out. Kyu profiles eight beautiful, eligible girls in town and after a few helpful tips, starts you on your quest for love...or lust.

This is an open ended dating sim that gives you the freedom to play how you want. You can spend your time with your favorite girl, building a strong connection and discovering more about her past, her personality, and her aspirations. Orrrr, you can invite a different girl to the bar every night and see what happens. We don't judge, we just try to make every play style as fun and rewarding as the next. :)

The lead designer/programmer (Ryan Koons) for this kickstarter formerly worked for Insomniac. He's in the credits for a few Rachet and Clack games, Resistance 3, and Fuse. I don't know what he did exactly since Insomniac lumps the core development together in its credits without a specific job title.

The game is similar to Puzzle Quest in that it's an adventure-puzzle hybrid. Think of Bejeweled/Candy Crush Saga mixed in with a dating sim. It will be available for PC/Mac/Linux.

Stretch goals include:

quote:

$25,000 - Minor Voice Acting: Greetings, important scenes/events and expressive moans/groans. I think this would add a lot of life to the girls!
$30,000 - Unlock Kyu: Kyu becomes an unlockable, dateable girl with her own storyline and everything. How cool would it be to date a magic love fairy?
$35,000 - Date Locations: A ton of special locations to take your date to like a bowing alley or a romantic restaurant.
$40,000 - Bedroom Minigame: I'd love to include a special minigame that's triggered after successful dates where you can interact with your date in a whole new way.
$60,000 - Complete Voice Acting: The entire game will be professionally and beautifully voice acted. This is the ultimate version of HuniePop and a dream come true for me!

There has already been a $500 backer who has chosen the highest tier. It is 'This ultra-limited opportunity includes everything from all previous reward tiers plus a one-of-a-kind custom piece of high resolution artwork featuring you and your favorite girl on a date, painted by a HuniePop artist, just for you! You also get to decide whether or not it's included as part of the Hunie-pack Plus! It just doesn't get any sweeter.'

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Honestly, compared to most of the crap posted in this thread, this one isn't half bad. I'd wager that there's a fair amount of overlap between the "puzzle game" crowd and the "anime dating sim" crowd, so, hey, why not combine the two? And the kickstarter page does show at least some level of competence and professionalism.

It's not my thing, but I could easily see it making its kickstarter goal (and then some).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Not gonna lie I'm just happy he seems to be putting more effort in than most by ripping off a good game around his dating sim. If you're gonna go for the sad market, at least go for the brass ring of sadness.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Did they really put Catherine in there? That's like the antithesis of the dating sim.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, it's just great he's at least putting honest effort in and coming up with a decently polished result.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

DaveWoo posted:

Honestly, compared to most of the crap posted in this thread, this one isn't half bad. I'd wager that there's a fair amount of overlap between the "puzzle game" crowd and the "anime dating sim" crowd, so, hey, why not combine the two? And the kickstarter page does show at least some level of competence and professionalism.

It's not my thing, but I could easily see it making its kickstarter goal (and then some).

The art is done and the writing is nice, but it's still a dating sim with a bedroom mini game for a reach goal.

A polished turd, if you will.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Not gonna lie I'm just happy he seems to be putting more effort in than most by ripping off a good game around his dating sim. If you're gonna go for the sad market, at least go for the brass ring of sadness.

Considering the programmer has Insomniac Games and Activision on his CV, I can expect that the game will be at least technically competent.

Whether the rest of the game is appealing is another question entirely. :barf:

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

And here I thought Bejeweled couldn't get any sexier.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Young Freud posted:

Did they really put Catherine in there? That's like the antithesis of the dating sim.

Well, it is a puzzle game, and for all we know "rewarding for everyone" means it's possible to ruin the protagonist's life a la Catherine, too.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Does anyone in this thread have any experience in spectrometry? I've stumbled onto something that I refuse to believe isn't a scam, mostly because the advertised product is a goddamn tricorder from Star Trek. The people involved in the project do really exist and so does Raman scattering, but the fact this is a flex funding project on IndieGoGo makes my alarm bells go off. It doesn't help that their demonstration is unbelievable. Waving the magic wand over food for a couple of seconds is apparently enough for the device to figure out the presence of minute trace elements and its calorific contents. If this product was real, you'd expect to hear about it on the news everywhere. And you'd also expect a delicate, advanced device like this to cost more than $150.

I know nothing about spectrometry. Am I being unreasonably suspicious, or is this a scam as I suspect it is?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zybourne Clock posted:

Does anyone in this thread have any experience in spectrometry? I've stumbled onto something that I refuse to believe isn't a scam, mostly because the advertised product is a goddamn tricorder from Star Trek. The people involved in the project do really exist and so does Raman scattering, but the fact this is a flex funding project on IndieGoGo makes my alarm bells go off. It doesn't help that their demonstration is unbelievable. Waving the magic wand over food for a couple of seconds is apparently enough for the device to figure out the presence of minute trace elements and its calorific contents. If this product was real, you'd expect to hear about it on the news everywhere. And you'd also expect a delicate, advanced device like this to cost more than $150.

I know nothing about spectrometry. Am I being unreasonably suspicious, or is this a scam as I suspect it is?

Considering that at school I have to use a big clunky liquid nitrogen-cooled apparatus with a big lead shield that has to be calibrated with antimatter* that requires a sample to sit still for 15 minutes in order to get an accurate picture of what radioisotopes are in it...

well, let's say that I don't think that a tiny plastic thing and a smartphone are going to get an accurate reading of what's in something that isn't actively emitting non-infrared radiation.

*It's not as cool as it sounds but I thought it would be fun to word it like that

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm not super familiar with spectrometry, but from what I am, 99.9% sure that's a scam. That kind of spectrometry involves throwing extremely highly energized subatomic particles at the object and measuring what comes back from a poo poo ton of angles. That ain't all fitting in that thing. My bet? It has a camera and searches an image database and sends results back based on image similarity.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm not super familiar with spectrometry, but from what I am, 99.9% sure that's a scam. That kind of spectrometry involves throwing extremely highly energized subatomic particles at the object and measuring what comes back from a poo poo ton of angles. That ain't all fitting in that thing. My bet? It has a camera and searches an image database and sends results back based on image similarity.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of mass spectrometry. You can do spectrometry just based off of radiation emissions of a hot object (for instance, looking at the light emitted from the sun was how helium was first discovered) or gamma ray spectrometry, which is how I've been taught to learn what the radioisotope composition of a substance is.

But there's no way you're going to be doing that with a little plastic wand thing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Zybourne Clock posted:

I know nothing about spectroscopy and I can tell you for certain that this is utter bunk.

Lets take just one of their claims, that it can detect allergens. Most allergens are proteins. Proteins are extremely complex long chain molecules, and one protein may have an identical chemical make up to another but act in a completely different way because of the ORDER of the sub-units and the way the chain structure folds up in three dimensional space. As far as I know, there is no spectrum based method for detecting the presence of a particular protein in a sample. Detecting whether a specific protein is present in a sample is really loving involved, you usually need to crush up the sample and subject it to chemical testing, a typical method might be adding a specific immunoglobulin or enzyme that reacts with the target protein. This paper details methods of peanut allergen detection in food as of 2007, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2007.00017.x/pdf (table on the eighth page, p54 of the journal) note that there are no spectroscopic methods listed here, not even ones run on gigantic static million dollar pieces of lab equipment.

here is a scientist doing protein analysis

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Spectrometry doesn't work by just pointing a magic spectrometry ray at large, solid objects.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
quote from a poster on the JREF forum:

quote:

A few other things. First, Raman spectra spread out information over a fairly small band of wavelengths---say 50nm. That means you need, not just any cheap spectrometer, but a very-high-dispersion spectrometer, to meaningfully separate these wavelengths. Now, the fiber-resonator "spectrometer on a chip" that Cosmicaug links to---neato!---is indeed high-resolution. But that's not what Tellspec says they're doing. They say they're sending light through a diffraction grating and onto a CCD. Sorry, kids, you're not getting sub-nm resolution with a spectrometer that small. Not even close.

If you're not working at high resolution, then you're going to be looking at overlapping spectra from everything in the system. That's fine if you have only a few components and need to distinguish them coarsely. I can maybe imagine a handheld Raman spectrometer if its only job were, say, distinguishing water and vodka. (And it wouldn't look like this.) But that's not what Tellspec says they're doing.

In their example images, they show the concept-device pointed at a truffle and "detecting" vanillin. I've made truffles, fellas. Looking up a recipe, the proportions are something like 350g chocolate, 100g cream, and 10g (2 tsp) vanilla extract. How much vanillin is in vanilla extract? According to Wikipedia, 1000g of extract might draw from 100g of beans, and beans are 2% vanillin. So, they're claiming that this handheld spectrometer can detect 20mg of vanillin on a background of 450g of mixed other stuff! That's 40ppm detection!

I'll be pretty blunt about this. This is impossible. I'd be cautious in interpreting a 40ppm trace-component detection from a high-end laboratory spectrometer. From a cheap one? Casually aimed at a sample? No way. No way at all. Even if the laser, the dark field, the background subtraction, etc. were chosen optimally, the sort of camera you can put on a chip like this only has an 8-12 bit ADC to begin with.

And ALL of their product concepts look like this. Tartrazine (a dye!) can't be more than parts-per-ten-thousand. "Essential vitamins and minerals"---geez, Vitamin C in orange juice is already 0.05%, other vitamins are below that. They mention monitoring mercury intake---good lord, meaningful foodborne mercury detection starts at part-per-million and goes down from there.

This is unambiguous, people. These people have no clue whatsoever whether this product is possible. Someone on this team read about Raman spectroscopy, read that it can serve as a chemical fingerprint, and guessed that (a) it could be miniaturized---because, hey, everything can be miniaturized these days, right? and (b) "algorithms" could process complex spectra into ingredients-lists---because, hey, big data, algorithms, that's how it works, right? They drew pictures of a concept product based on this guesswork, not based on any actual physics, spectra, spectrometer technology, or knowledge of food.

If they get enough funding to attempt to build the product, they will find that it's impossible.

This is like what happens when an entrepreneur watches CSI for product ideas. "Hey, they have software that can enhance grainy surveillance-camera footage to 10-megapixel quality! I could sell that, lemme raise some money and I'll hire some developers. Hey, they have a portable MRI machine! That's a great idea---an MRI machine is, like, just a magnet and a radio transmitter? That'd totally fit in an iPhone these days, that'd be so useful. I'll start raising money. Hey, on Num3ers they created an algorithm that can identify anyone by listening for their unique footstep frequency in the background of other people's phone calls. That's marketable. I'll schedule an IPO for tomorrow and hire a podiatrist and a mathematician the next day."

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

quote from a poster on the JREF forum:

I think this poster is being charitable by assuming it's not an outright scam.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
On the subject of debatable scientific devices, does anyone remember the talking bear from a few months back ? I dont remember the specifics but it was also pretty far fetched.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

unpacked robinhood posted:

On the subject of debatable scientific devices, does anyone remember the talking bear from a few months back ? I dont remember the specifics but it was also pretty far fetched.

That was Supertoy, the world's first toy than can pass the Turing test! It turns out you just dock your iDevice in it and it basically just acts as a Siri powered Teddy Ruxpin. It won't work when its not connected to Wi-Fi, either.

Iron Prince has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Oct 5, 2013

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It's flexible funding, so definitely a scam. The "in the cloud" line makes it sound like it's doing some sort of rudimentary image analysis on a server somewhere and guessing what the food is from a database. It's spectrometry because it's measuring an optical property in much the same way as doing the Pepsi Challenge on a college campus is laboratory analysis or a Polaroid camera is a spectrograph.

theflyingexecutive has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Oct 6, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

There are plenty of handheld raman spectrometers. loving expensive and loving awesome. I have tested one at the Analytica of 2011 or 2012. Very nice for checking the purity of chemicals.

And yes, the kickstarter is pure bullshit. A short glance at the specs of current handheld raman spectrometers will show that.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Pie-in-the-sky MMOs are a dime a dozen, I'm mostly posting The Phoenix Project just because of the picture they used for the dev team.

:laffo:

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Do you play electric guitar? Do you like it to stay in tune?
Do you think that a guitar should have 50 moving parts?

The Riff-Raptor. The most unnecessarily complicated guitar ever.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

A Good Username posted:

Is... that a $2.3 million goal?

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

A Good Username posted:

You're totally hosed if any one of those tiny, meticulous, proprietary little pieces break. But hey, at least you unmusical plebs can stay in tune because it's too difficult for beginner guitar players to load up a free tuning app on their smartphone and spend 5 minutes turning 6 pegs til the light goes green. And how on earth would you re-string one of these monstrosities?

I mean, I can see where these guys are coming from, but every selling point of this thing is made redundant by a tuning app and a capo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Good Username posted:

"My qualifications are as follows: I took a business class last year, and have read several books on related subjects."

quantum_squirrel
Aug 9, 2006

It's basically Strip Bejewelled/Puzzle Quest

But you forgot the best parts: The girls ...

- and more to come in the following days
Oh and the Japanese one works the substitute professor for a mysteriously vanished Statistics professor at the university and the stress made her a gambling addict.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

I'm not sure how to feel about that oddly-specific choice of favorite colors.

Yep. Thanks, Google. That's exactly how I feel about this kickstarter.

Noni has a new favorite as of 12:43 on Oct 6, 2013

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

A Good Username posted:

Gibson's self tuning guitar came out in 2007. What does this bring to the table?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

One Eye Open posted:

Gibson's self tuning guitar came out in 2007. What does this bring to the table?

Nothing.

Like 90% of "innovative" product based kickstarters are either reselling something that already exists at a big markup (like the metal cups from a while back), reinventing something that either exists or isn't needed because something better already exists (see all microwallets), or creating an "affordable" alternative to something that is readily available secondhand for much lower prices than the kickstarter is offering (like the open PCR machine).

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
A bit behind, but the biggest thing that tips me off about the scamminess of that food spectrometer...

Those Idiots posted:

TellSpec is a three-part system which includes: (1) a spectrometer scanner (2) an algorithm that exists in the cloud; and (3) an easy-to-understand interface on your smart phone.

The second someone starts saying "Algortithm! Cloud! Smart phones!" you know they're usually snake oil salesmen.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Honestly if the Tellspec people are actually planning to send out some kind of product not just running an outright cash grab scam, they need to be stopped.

Whatever product they send out absolutely cannot work (whoever said it might be a cheap rear end digital camera and semi decent image matching algorithm might be on the money), but if credulous people really think it can detect peanut proteins or other allergens, they could end up literally killing someone by trusting the obviously made up wrong results that the machine would give them. This is something making definitive safety/medical claims that it absolutely cannot deliver, and is probably illegal. I'd appreciate it if someone who lives in the appropriate state could report them to their local FDA or whoever it is that deals with these sorts of claims.

They're either outright stealing, or are marketing snakeoil that will end up killing a child. It's depressing that in this scenario, it being a cynical scam is the BETTER outcome.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

The Grammar Aryan posted:

A bit behind, but the biggest thing that tips me off about the scamminess of that food spectrometer...

The second someone starts saying "Algortithm! Cloud! Smart phones!" you know they're usually snake oil salesmen.

Don't forget crowd sourcing (from their updates, bolding mine):

quote:

One method is combining your scan with other people's scans of the same food. Your 3 second scan may not be enough to detect a chemical, but if 1200 users scan the same food, then that's an hour of scanning, and that may have enough. That's crowd sourced food analysis! Another method is using database information. If the TellSpec database has detailed information about the food, then we can provide that information to the user. The TellSpec analysis engine will automatically choose the technique that best handles the estimated concentration level.

Crowdsourcing is totally doable because you can totally tell that two people's random grocery store apple are same.

From what they I think they are saying - they basically say they can match the entire spectrum to a composition, without needing to analyze for any particular component. Basically, implying they have/will have a spectrum for every food in existence, along with it's chemical composition.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

gninjagnome posted:

Don't forget crowd sourcing (from their updates, bolding mine):

Crowdsourcing is totally doable because you can totally tell that two people's random grocery store apple are same.

From what they I think they are saying - they basically say they can match the entire spectrum to a composition, without needing to analyze for any particular component. Basically, implying they have/will have a spectrum for every food in existence, along with it's chemical composition.

Which firstly isn't possible, obviously, but also NOT what they claim in the kickstarter.

I'm gonna stick with peanut protein, because a) peanut allergies can be extremely dangerous b) peanut protein can be harmful even when present in minute amounts and c) detecting one specific protein amongst the tens of thousands of proteins present in a normal organism is pretty involved even with targeted immunoassays, and essentially impossible with current light-based analyses.

You can't create a database of the spectra of types of foods that contain peanuts, because a chocolate bar made in factory A and a chocolate bar made in factory B can have the exact same recipe (they might even be the same brand!) but if factory B handles peanuts, even if they are NOT an ingredient in the chocolate bar, the allergy sufferer is at risk when eating something made in factory B. You cannot tell the difference between the two chocolate bars by looking at them, tasting them or conducting spectographic analysis of them, unless you are able to DETECT the specific protein, not take a general picture of the chocolate and compare it to a database. Same goes for contaminants, two different Tuna are likely to have completely different levels of mercury in their tissues, but it's a small enough number in either in absolute terms that their spectra would be identical.

The original claim was their stupid machine can ANALYSE the food. Now they are moving the goalposts and saying they can IDENTIFY the food, and that a database of the composition of other foods that happen to match the spectrum is sufficient. Even this is a spurious claim, and it's not even what they originally promised.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Fatkraken posted:

Honestly if the Tellspec people are actually planning to send out some kind of product not just running an outright cash grab scam, they need to be stopped.

Whatever product they send out absolutely cannot work (whoever said it might be a cheap rear end digital camera and semi decent image matching algorithm might be on the money), but if credulous people really think it can detect peanut proteins or other allergens, they could end up literally killing someone by trusting the obviously made up wrong results that the machine would give them. This is something making definitive safety/medical claims that it absolutely cannot deliver, and is probably illegal. I'd appreciate it if someone who lives in the appropriate state could report them to their local FDA or whoever it is that deals with these sorts of claims.

They're either outright stealing, or are marketing snakeoil that will end up killing a child. It's depressing that in this scenario, it being a cynical scam is the BETTER outcome.

That's a good point and it looks like Indiegogo prohibits medical devices of this sort:

quote:

By way of example, and not limitation, your promise means you will not use the Service:

To offer, sell or distribute:
Controlled substances (such as steroids, narcotics, tobacco products, prescription drugs, marijuana), medical devices or products or services presenting a risk to consumer safety
Drug paraphernalia
Bullying, harassing, obscene or pornographic items, sexually oriented or explicit materials or services
Stocks, bonds or other securities, real estate, insurance or banking or financial services
Guns, ammunition, firearms, knives, weapons or accessories regulated by law
Items promoting hate, personal injury, death, damage or destruction to property
Items infringing or violating others’ Intellectual Property Rights, privacy rights or proprietary rights or wrongfully disclosing confidential information

Let's see if Indiegogo actually has a spine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fatkraken posted:

Let's just remind ourselves of the guy selling fake mine detectors who just got jailed for several years. This one doesn't go to Indiegogo for arbitration, it goes straight to the authorities.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ah but you see it's not a medical device. From one of their updates:

quote:

However, even if an allergen is present, TellSpec may not detect it. The scanner can only get data from the regions of the food scanned by the laser. If TellSpec has no previous record of the food, a nut fragment is present in the food, and the laser does not scan that fragment, then the nut allergen in that fragment will not contribute to the scan obtained, and the user will not be warned.

TellSpec is NOT a medical device. Someone with a severe allergy should NOT rely on TellSpec to identify the presence of allergens. Some day we may seek certification as a medical device, but this is unlikely for some time. However, they may still find TellSpec a helpful supplement to their current precautions.
(Bolding mine)

I don't even know what the loving point of it is any more.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:37 on Oct 6, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ah but you see it's not a medical device. From one of their updates:

(Bolding mine)

I don't even know what the loving point of it is any more.

So basically "can detect peanuts if you point it at a peanut". And can only give you ingredient information based on the outside of the food (even though in the demos they're pointing it at chocolate bon bons that almost always have fillings). A detector that gives a substantial rate of false negatives is literally worse than nothing, because it gives people a false sense of security. What the gently caress IS the point of it?

quote:

We have invented a system called TellSpec combining a spectrometer and a unique algorithm to tell you the allergens, chemicals, nutrients, calories, and ingredients in your food.

TellSpec will warn you when a food contains allergens such as gluten or egg.

Can tell you the allergens in your food*

*does not tell you the allergens in your food

Oh, and there's absolutely no way that whatever database they might create would be more accurate than current food labels. Even if they COULD create a database of spectra which would be matched to known foods, they'd still have to do the analyses of those foods to know what the spectrum actually represented, and it would have to be a significantly better analysis than the current legally mandated one used for food labelling. Doing a full lab analysis of a single food item costs a small fortune, doing their own analyses of every food ever would cost the earth. No, what they're gonna do, if they do ANYTHING, is broadly match really lovely poor quality spectra to food types, and get all the actual data for those food types from the labels.

Fatkraken has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Oct 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Their claim of being able to piece together allergen and trace element concentrations in the single-digit PPM range by bundling 1200 separate measurements sounds like nonsense. No matter how clever your averaging technique, if the sensor just isn't sensitive enough, you're not going to detect anything. It's like saying 'I can't see through this wall but if enough of my buddies join in on staring intently at it, we can create a composite image of what's behind that wall'.