Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Miskatonic U. posted:

I got this a week ago. It's the first thing with a motor and two wheels I've ever owned, unless you count one half of a camry. It's a 2009.

What a beauty. If they weren't so ridiculously overpriced I'd love to have one as a little in-city bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

It's not a replica, it's a real proper Royal Enfield Bullet, which has been in continuous production for like 60 or 70 years or something. Only difference is that it's made in India now. Same basic everything, same frame as ~50 years ago, although the engine is EFI now.

The frame on the unit-construction engines is completely different from the older ones, apparently. I don't know if that translates to "better", but it's possibly notable that the new Continental GT outsourced the frame design to Harris.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Miskatonic U. posted:

I got this a week ago. It's the first thing with a motor and two wheels I've ever owned, unless you count one half of a camry. It's a 2009.

What is that big "crank handle" looking thing? Some kinda peg?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That's a kickstart :corsair:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Z3n posted:

Handlebar, -1/+2 gearing, enjoy the experience until the police or the wheelies kill you.

5 minutes on a supermoto was enough to convince me that every bike with clip-ons should have proper handlebars, at least until you get sick of wheelies every 20 seconds.

you never get sick of them

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

notZaar posted:

oh god :smith:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

notZaar posted:

That's the only way to start a real motorcycle, kid.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cheer up slide, you're only as old as you feel. And you don't feel Goldwing old.

Yet.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

How have you not seen a kickstarter before?

I don't mean that in a rude way, I'm genuinly surprised - they're on pretty much every bike made pre-2000ish, even now some bikes still have them, and I can't actually think of a dirtbike that doesn't have one.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Shimrod posted:

they're on pretty much every bike made pre-2000ish

What? Disregarding offroaders, dual sports and some retro models, I don't think you'll find many bikes after 1980 with kickstarters.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 7, 2013

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Yeah, true, I was a little enthusiastic with the 2000 thing, to be fair, most the pre-2000 bikes I see are Harleys, UJMs and Triumphs. Regardless, they're fairly common to see around.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Shimrod posted:

Yeah, true, I was a little enthusiastic with the 2000 thing, to be fair, most the pre-2000 bikes I see are Harleys, UJMs and Triumphs. Regardless, they're fairly common to see around.

I've never actually seen a bike being kickstarted in the wild. I know what one is, but they're not super common.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Kick starter was actually my first instinct on that thing but it looks like its on a small hinge that's only for holding the handle. The only ks I've seen before was on my scooter and it didn't look like that.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
This is what my dad must have felt like when I was younger.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Shimrod posted:

How have you not seen a kickstarter before?

I don't mean that in a rude way, I'm genuinly surprised - they're on pretty much every bike made pre-2000ish, even now some bikes still have them, and I can't actually think of a dirtbike that doesn't have one.

Why would you put a crowd funding website on the side of your motorcycle? They paying you to advertise? :downs:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Sold my 919, bought a thing, and took a terrible cell phone picture.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I've never actually seen a bike being kickstarted in the wild. I know what one is, but they're not super common.

HNasty or RevDrMoses: please make a "hipsters trying to kickstart their bikes" compilation video.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

notZaar posted:

Kick starter was actually my first instinct on that thing but it looks like its on a small hinge that's only for holding the handle. The only ks I've seen before was on my scooter and it didn't look like that.

That hinge lets you fold the lever out to, you know, kick it.

Is it the Enfield that has an electronic decompresser that negates the only possible use for a kickstarter on a bike that already has a starter motor? Although I'm guessing EFI also makes the whole thing a bit pointless, other than the visceral feeling of power you get when you use it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Although I'm guessing EFI also makes the whole thing a bit pointless, other than the visceral feeling of power you get when you use it.

I assume you mean that EFI won't work with a dead battery? There are a few dirt bikes that are kick start, efi, and no battery, so it's at least possible to make it work.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Kickstart doesn't have a decomp mechanism of any kind on the new Enfields far as I know. It's easy to use. It won't start if the battery is completely dead, but it takes a lot of amps to run a starter and not nearly as much to run a fuel pump and a computer, so it is kind of useful if the battery is slightly dead.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Deeters posted:

HNasty or RevDrMoses: please make a "hipsters trying to kickstart their bikes" compilation video.

Ask and ye shall receive, we're too lazy to make compilation videos. However hipsters are vain enough to make them for us.

http://hipsterbikevideos.tumblr.com/post/54470268535/when-you-leave-the-bar#disqus_thread

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Arctic Cat introduced snowmobiles with batteryless EFI in 1999, so it's not exactly new stuff. First pull pressurizes the fuel rail and the second pull fires it up. Each and every time. And since Suzuki makes the engines for AC, I don't see why it should be so hard to put one of those in a bike. The 800 HO puts out a respectable 163 crank hp from a two cylinder two-stroke.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My favorite is when a hipster is *jumping* on an old two stroke bike which you can pretty much start with your hand if the engine is warm.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

Ask and ye shall receive, we're too lazy to make compilation videos. However hipsters are vain enough to make them for us.

http://hipsterbikevideos.tumblr.com/post/54470268535/when-you-leave-the-bar#disqus_thread

Good, I thought I imagined this video existing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Arctic Cat introduced snowmobiles with batteryless EFI in 1999, so it's not exactly new stuff. First pull pressurizes the fuel rail and the second pull fires it up. Each and every time. And since Suzuki makes the engines for AC, I don't see why it should be so hard to put one of those in a bike. The 800 HO puts out a respectable 163 crank hp from a two cylinder two-stroke.

I've seen a video of this on Youtube, but I just can't find it now.

It was definitely an 800cc pull-start two-stroke and it made one hell of a noise.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upAwsYTiyuk

This is a beautiful kick starting video.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KozmoNaut posted:

I've seen a video of this on Youtube, but I just can't find it now.

It was definitely an 800cc pull-start two-stroke and it made one hell of a noise.

Well, the Tul-Aris fits minus the pulling part
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xlrwbf_tul-aris-2-stroke-racer_auto

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, the Tularis is similar, but the one I remember was a home-built project, and I believe it was actually for sale.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think I know what you're talking about, but I can't find it. I found this (complete with loving atrocious rock music); http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/videos/2007/November/nov0907laverdapolarishybridvideo/

And then there's always this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDTPHw6T864

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

HNasty posted:

This is really the best tumblr.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Yerok posted:

This is really the best tumblr.

Thanks but we're running out of poo poo to ridicule, send us videos.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Maybe you should do pictures too. I'm not really a tumblr person but my girlfriend shows me the moto stuff that pops up on hers occasionally. Thankfully she thinks it's cute when I start getting pissy about firestones and 3/4 helmets.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Took the bike up some abandoned mining roads on the weekend, was a great way to spend the day and keep my offroad balance from getting rusty. Dude on an enduro being followed by his wife in an SUV came across me, jaw visibly dropped as he asked "How the gently caress did you get back here on THAT?" :allears:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Rime posted:

Took the bike up some abandoned mining roads on the weekend, was a great way to spend the day and keep my offroad balance from getting rusty. Dude on an enduro being followed by his wife in an SUV came across me, jaw visibly dropped as he asked "How the gently caress did you get back here on THAT?" :allears:

Nice. Love the GS (400? 500?) a lot, indestructible and the pretty kind of ugly.

I had a (badly faded) red (ok, pink) one with white stripes and black hardware some years ago. Four people close to me used it as a first bike - just had to straighten the levers a few times.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's a 1980 CB400 with the engine from an '82 CM450. Buying a frankenbike and rattle-can painting it as my first was a fantastic choice though, I ride the snot out of this thing into the most absurd locations without a care in the world. Knobby tires? Who needs knobby tires!

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Rime posted:

Same here, I love riding my 43 year old R75/5 on the same trails with my friends and their spanking new BMW R1200 GSAa and KTM 990s.

Edit: ^^^ Yeah with Metzeler Lasertec street tires as well

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rime posted:

Reminds me of the time me, Spiff, and Zool were tearing up some fire road on supermotos, only to discover what looked to be a new rider slowly scooting his Sportster up the road. Shine on, you crazy diamond!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Rime posted:

It's almost like you don't need a farkled up adventure bike to ride down dirt roads. Tires are really all you need if it's not too rough.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

thylacine posted:

It's almost like you don't need a farkled up adventure bike to ride down dirt roads. Tires are really all you need if it's not too rough.

Yeah but I find most bikes work better when you have tires on them. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Rime posted:

Nice scenery, nice color.

thylacine posted:

I run my farkled up adventure bike on fire roads... with street tires!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 10, 2013