Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zybourne Clock posted:

It's like saying 'I can't see through this wall but if enough of my buddies join in on staring intently at it, we can create a composite image of what's behind that wall'.
No you see if someone in Argentina kicked a hole in a wall and poked their head through then that data would go into the cloud and the algorithm would pick it up. :colbert:

I wonder how easy it would be to troll this system. I'm gonna get one of these units and stick a peanut in every conceivable food source and scan them all 2000 times. When someone scans a watermelon the app will tell them it's LOADED with peanuts. Glass of water? Peanuts. Small dog? Peanuts. Lump of coal? Peanut city, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

One Eye Open posted:

Gibson's self tuning guitar came out in 2007. What does this bring to the table?

The cheapest Gibson robot is, I think, four thousand dollars. This guy is selling his for four hundred. Though I cannot imagine how terrible it sounds

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

Which firstly isn't possible, obviously, but also NOT what they claim in the kickstarter.

They don't make the claim directly, or on their main page, but, in one of their updates, they say:

quote:

Our analysis engine needs a huge database and performs intense computations.

The approach described in the patent application uses the fact that any mixture, however complex, has a Raman fingerprint, rather than using the traditional approach of extracting chemical signatures.

Which really sounds like they're claiming to be creating a database of every mixture used in food ever.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

gninjagnome posted:

Which really sounds like they're claiming to be creating a database of every mixture used in food ever.

Note they don't say every mixture has a UNIQUE Raman fingerprint. Very important omission.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

Note they don't say every mixture has a UNIQUE Raman fingerprint. Very important omission.

Fair enough.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Iron Prince posted:

That was Supertoy, the world's first toy than can pass the Turing test! It turns out you just dock your iDevice in it and it basically just acts as a Siri powered Teddy Ruxpin. It won't work when its not connected to Wi-Fi, either.

In a land of infinite dollars I wouldn't mind yelling across the room to ask a toy bear when the liquor store closes.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
So all I have to do is:

1. Tell everyone that I'm doing something that's already possible but most people don't know much about, but that it will cost 10% of what current solutions cost.

2. Make a video where we "show it in action" through an obviously easily faked demonstration.

3. Dumb nerds will send me tens of thousands of dollars.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

theflyingorc posted:

So all I have to do is:

1. Tell everyone that I'm doing something that's already possible but most people don't know much about, but that it will cost 10% of what current solutions cost.

2. Make a video where we "show it in action" through an obviously easily faked demonstration.

3. Dumb nerds will send me tens of thousands of dollars.

No. The thing you claim you can do should NOT be possible, but should seem like a logical extension of something that is currently possible to people who don't know why it's impossible in the first place. The current state of the art million dollar solution should be able to achieve, oh, 30% of what your product achieves, and cost at LEAST 1000 times more.

Your excuse for why your new solution works should involve "the cloud", "new algorithms" and "crowd sourcing".

The tens of thousands will probably come from credulous non-nerds, while the nerds (especially lifelong professionals in the field you claim to be revolutionizing) calmly explain to them that the thing you are claiming is, in fact, impossible.

The alternative is, as I said, to create something that already exists and charge twice the standard price, or to make a "consumer grade" version of a piece of professional equipment for 4-6 times the price of a secondhand piece of the professional equipment from ebay. If you do the latter, your manufacturing process should involve 3D printing or laser cutting, and should definitely be available as a kit version for a small discount.

That or dice. Nerds LOVE dice.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Fatkraken posted:

Your excuse for why your new solution works should involve "the cloud", "new algorithms" and "crowd sourcing". ...

That or dice. Nerds LOVE dice.

Kickstart my cast-iron, LED-screen dice! When you roll them my newly-designed RNG algorithm connects to the cloud and crowd-sources a random result. Once they're developed I'll retail them at only ten dollars a die! Goal: $450,000. Pledge up to 75 dollars and get a certificate of apprecation; pledge $150 and I'll send you one die when they're complete. finished dice may not actually have any cloud connectivity and may only display a 1, 3, or 4. each die weighs 3.5 pounds so don't roll on any non-stable surface. the electronics inside will probably stop working after the fifth or sixth roll

Wonder Bread
Apr 16, 2005

Have you ever danced with a crapatar in the pale moonlight?

A Good Username posted:

Do you play electric guitar? Do you like it to stay in tune?
Do you think that a guitar should have 50 moving parts?

The Riff-Raptor. The most unnecessarily complicated guitar ever.

The second video on that page is amazing. He has no amp, I'm not convinced he can play guitar, and constantly refers to parts of his own invention as "that thing there", all while chattering like someone in the midst of a meth bender. It doesn't appear to be self tuning so much as ready to detune at the press of a button.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Wonder Bread posted:

The second video on that page is amazing. He has no amp, I'm not convinced he can play guitar, and constantly refers to parts of his own invention as "that thing there", all while chattering like someone in the midst of a meth bender. It doesn't appear to be self tuning so much as ready to detune at the press of a button.

Oh man, this is really uncomfortable to watch. :staredog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYh-7o4KSIA

Also:

Riff-Raptor Kickstarter posted:

My qualifications are as follows: I took a business class last year, and have read several books on related subjects. I have had the experience of hiring, firing and supervising. Successfully. I have invested untold hours of self motivated work conceptualizing the framework for completing this project. I am able to work long hours, and have the skill to stay focused when problem solving. I have secured 1 patent which relates to the tuning mechanism which will be used on the Riff-Raptor guitar.

Gaspy Conana has a new favorite as of 11:44 on Oct 7, 2013

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Everything Counts posted:

Kickstart my cast-iron, LED-screen dice! When you roll them my newly-designed RNG algorithm connects to the cloud and crowd-sources a random result. Once they're developed I'll retail them at only ten dollars a die! Goal: $450,000. Pledge up to 75 dollars and get a certificate of apprecation; pledge $150 and I'll send you one die when they're complete. finished dice may not actually have any cloud connectivity and may only display a 1, 3, or 4. each die weighs 3.5 pounds so don't roll on any non-stable surface. the electronics inside will probably stop working after the fifth or sixth roll

Only if it's 3D printed iron.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I read a book about guitars once. I mean, not specifically about tuning guitars, but still. I think that's all the qualification I need to develop this product.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
http://www.theonion.com/articles/laidoff-ford-employee-decides-to-start-own-car-com,2086/

Goddamnit if we can fund a hot dog stand we can fund a car company

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

We should fund a motorcycle company. I want to ride down to Alabama on my Frog Hog down to get my Frog Dog.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Let's visit Tim Stone and his delusions of grandeur. He wants to do a paramotor trip across America, taking pictures of the country from "a unique perspective". Fair warning: there is one :nws: sample picture in there. More on that later.

What's it going to run? Just a cool $100,000 - $10,000/day for his ten-day trip. You know he's worth it, because he plans to use a top-shelf DSLR and lenses. Besides, he has "a degree in Art", and he's taken some online training classes. Clearly this is a man with an unparalleled photographer's eye, and we can expect nothing but the most jaw-dropping images, so... art costs what it costs, right? Let's take a look in his "other work", the portfolio he's using to convince us to pull together $100,000.

That has to be the most useless piece of automotive photography I've ever seen. I'm going to guess from the headlight shape and little chrome stripe that it's the new Chrysler 300, and while it's kinda blocky, even pictures in the dealer lot can make it look more interesting than that. Even a side-on Craigslist picture would give you a feel for what the car looks like.

Maybe cars just aren't his thing. That's fair. This is a road/air trip, right? Let's see what his landscapes are like.

That's not terrible. You could probably sell it on postcards if you knew where it was from. I'm not convinced you couldn't get better photography and a more "unique perspective" by piling four Dorkroom goons into a VW Microbus and giving them $2500 for gas, film, and Cheetos, but that's not what everyone wants. Some people like postcards.

And then there's the :nws: one in the middle. It looks completely different from everything he's shot. He must have done some figure-photography assignment from art school or something, because if I didn't know better, I'd say a completely different photographer did that one.

Oh, wait. (:nws:, obviously)

And that's the funny thing, I realized, the thing that pushes this out of simple incompetence and into threadworthy territory. Outside of his video and those two bits of mediocrity above, every goddamn picture on that Kickstarter is lifted from someone else, and I'm not even sure about those.

You'd think a $10,000/day photographer could at least take his own snapshot of a paramotor thingy sitting on a lawn.

Cassius Belli has a new favorite as of 16:45 on Oct 7, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
What on earth does he need $100,000 for? A paramotor unit costs about as much as a family car, not a hundred grand, and it sounds like he already owns one anyway. Gas for the follow vehicle and the motor, and cheap hotels for ten nights will barely make a dent, and while cameras and lenses can get pricey, a HUNDRED THOUSAND is mental. If he already owns the machine and a camera of some sort, he could do this for like 2 grand.

His one backer agrees, the only comment is "I think you might be aiming a little to high. But good luck" and was probably posted by a friend/family member who chucked in ten bucks to throw him a bone.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

I love local kick starters http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/403160020/cornhollertm-toss-excitement-into-americas-cornhol?ref=home_location

The Corn Holler!

I cant tell if this is a design spec or marketing materials.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Zybourne Clock posted:

Their claim of being able to piece together allergen and trace element concentrations in the single-digit PPM range by bundling 1200 separate measurements sounds like nonsense. No matter how clever your averaging technique, if the sensor just isn't sensitive enough, you're not going to detect anything. It's like saying 'I can't see through this wall but if enough of my buddies join in on staring intently at it, we can create a composite image of what's behind that wall'.

That's the purpose of the concept of significant digits in lab calculations, by the sounds of it they're thinking that you can create precision out of volume of calculations... which is impossible. You have to truncate your results to the precision of your measuring equipment, so if it's milligram precision then you can't record a result of the calculation as giving 1.25412g of [substance]. So these guys have never set foot in a spectrometry lab... or a chemistry lab. Or any lab. Significant digits, people!

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I like that one donation tier is literally "pay more so you don't have to hang out with me."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I don't really get the veiled "fund my vacation" Kickstarters and why anyone would give them money.

There's a Kickstarter right now where a guy who has already made his trip/taken photos/done the actual work is asking for money to publish his book. Since this person has already made their book, you can see the finished product. He's met his funding goal and then some.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Yond Cassius posted:

Paramotor guy

Given what Yond Cassius said about the pictures, this guy probably isn't serious. But if he is...

Tim Stone posted:

I'm going to set sail around 5AM each day and sail until it starts to get dark. Along the way I'm going to have a friend drive a vehicle and track along with me. At the end of the day I'll have my friend come get me, I'll mount the paramotor on the back of the vehicle and then I'll go find a hotel for the night. I'll be able to recharge the batteries for the next day. I'll be able to have someone bring me fuel during the day when I run out. The gas tank holds 5 gallons. The paramotor can glide for a while without using gas, and it will just lose altitude. 5 gallons of gas will last about 5 hours. The paramotor can go around 40 MPH.

Tim Stone's Trip Plan posted:

... he's going to die. He mentions that he might have to wait out the rain occasionally, but he never mentions in his "Risks and Challenges" section anything about flying through the loving desert without access to water or shade. Yes, someone's tailing him, but not for the hours he will be in the air, drying out like a raisin.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

monster on a stick posted:

I don't really get the veiled "fund my vacation" Kickstarters and why anyone would give them money.

There's a Kickstarter right now where a guy who has already made his trip/taken photos/done the actual work is asking for money to publish his book. Since this person has already made their book, you can see the finished product. He's met his funding goal and then some.

He's also got 600,000 Instagram followers and 5,000 Twitter followers he could call on, and even though he only convinced roughly 800 of them to donate to his project that was enough to get him across the line*. I'm guessing that paramotor boy doesn't have any sort of profile on any site.

(* Motorhome dude had a suspiciously good day on October 3rd and it looks like one person donated perhaps $6,000 or similar even though the top tier is only $100 but the project would have succeeded even without that.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gaspy Conana posted:

Oh man, this is really uncomfortable to watch. :staredog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYh-7o4KSIA

:drat: you're right that guys' tweaking out like crazy

And his explanations make no sense :psyduck: "that thing there keeps it civilized, you know? But its not a problem if they're all catty-wompus"

My god... its the engie from TF2, complete with PTSD :stare:

And yeah, its not like we need to hear the guitar or anything.
Its like this guy took a floyd rose and just went crazy on it. I'm not sure this even fully works in theory.
(Plus as was mentioned, Gibson and Fender both have self-tuning guitars already, and their solutions are more reliable)

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prettiestprincess/glamazons-vs-the-curse-of-the-chainmail-bikini

I don't really frequent this thread all that often, but a friend of a friend (friend likely roped into posting it on Facebook as a direct request, knowing her taste and personality) just linked this on Facebook and I'm really having trouble understanding how he's got 1k already. Is this guy getting 15k for putting on some neon shades and a thong?

NICE rear end

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Don't know where else to put this aside from maybe the KS Gaming thread but I don't want that thread to devolve into pages worth of the same argument being made again and again...

Uh, so... are you ready to give a homophobic rear end in a top hat who may or may have not shaped your childhood more money?

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS

Astrobastard posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/prettiestprincess/glamazons-vs-the-curse-of-the-chainmail-bikini

I don't really frequent this thread all that often, but a friend of a friend (friend likely roped into posting it on Facebook as a direct request, knowing her taste and personality) just linked this on Facebook and I'm really having trouble understanding how he's got 1k already. Is this guy getting 15k for putting on some neon shades and a thong?

NICE rear end

Joe Capobianco is a ridiculously popular tattoo artist, so his name being attached is probably the key.

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

For some reason this just doesn't exude a "feminist" vibe. Not sure I can put a finger on it, but I have the distinct feeling that Gloria Steinem wouldn't approve.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Do not even ask posted:

Don't know where else to put this aside from maybe the KS Gaming thread but I don't want that thread to devolve into pages worth of the same argument being made again and again...

Uh, so... are you ready to give a homophobic rear end in a top hat who may or may have not shaped your childhood more money?

Didn't he recently use Kickstarter to fund his new game? I would have thought he would have folded this minor project into that, and perhaps get more publicity for the book that way.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Is that a sword? Dammit! Glamazons don't use thrusting weapons; they use engulfing weapons! :mad:

quote:

Help our intrepid heroes smash, bash and crash through goblin heads, dragon hearts and the male gaze alike; then stare each other down in a battle of wills for who gets the spoils!

quote:

Satirizing something means doing the exact same thing as the thing you're satirizing just while furiously rolling your eyes, right?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

JDM3 posted:

For some reason this just doesn't exude a "feminist" vibe. Not sure I can put a finger on it, but I have the distinct feeling that Gloria Steinem wouldn't approve.

Generally, when something claims to be 'feminist' or 'empowering' for women but all the key names attached are male, you're onto a stinker.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

Half the video is upside down.

It's beautiful.

:syoon:

Can someone rip the video before he replaces it?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I would kick in 5 bucks if they did the mythological thing and had the Amazons hack off a breast in order to draw bows better.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I saw a backer called him out on stealing the picture of that model. When I refreshed the page the campaign had been yanked.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I saw a backer called him out on stealing the picture of that model. When I refreshed the page the campaign had been yanked.

Yeah, it's done by James Ogilvie.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I guess he'll have to figure out how to fund his vacation some other way. :downs:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Do not even ask posted:

If I had had the money, sure! The first book is quite gorgeous.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Picture this: you're driving home, and you're expecting a letter in the mail. Once you've parked your car, what do you do? According to the creators of Postifier, the answer is 'walk up to your mailbox, take your smartphone from your pocket, and check their application to see if you got any new mail today'. You've saved literally seconds of your spare time by not opening the mailbox instead. There doesn't need to be an application for every single minor inconvenience in life, and the world seems to agree because the project is a re-launch.

If you've spilled so many drinks during the course of your lifetime that a large plastic cupholder for your house looks like a sensible investment, you may want to consider buying a sippy cup instead.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Zybourne Clock posted:

If you've spilled so many drinks during the course of your lifetime that a large plastic cupholder for your house looks like a sensible investment, you may want to consider buying a sippy cup instead.

I totally need one of these so I can place my drink on my bed as I make my bed. I will never go thirsty for a whole 30 seconds ever again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It's Rudolph the red-nosed-reindeer only it's been updated to be about race instead of being about race.