Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

For something that's much more RPG like, there's Zettai Hero Project. Although that's a PSP game. It does work in the emulator PPSSPP at least. It's a roguelike-lite where every time you die, the total number of levels you've gained gets added up to a total and grants bonus stats. If you duck out of dungeons early or complete them, you can use the money you get to do permanent character upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mune
Sep 23, 2006

a medical mystery posted:

Rogue Legacy is pretty much the epitome of this.

Been there, played it. Great game, I should have mentioned it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

For something that's much more RPG like, there's Zettai Hero Project. Although that's a PSP game. It does work in the emulator PPSSPP at least. It's a roguelike-lite where every time you die, the total number of levels you've gained gets added up to a total and grants bonus stats. If you duck out of dungeons early or complete them, you can use the money you get to do permanent character upgrades.

Yeah I've thought about it, sadly my PSP is no longer functional. drat, I wish there were more games that had this mechanic :(

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Because of the expert badge thing in M&L: Dream Team, where if you dodge 10 things in a row in whatever zone you're in you get Stuff, I'm compelled to dodge things.

And when I gently caress up after dodging 8 things in a row I feel more compelled to stab myself to death, all too easy when the game is played with a stylus......

fronz fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 7, 2013

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Finished Radiant Historia. A few questions about the stuff near the end...

Why didn't Lippiti and Teo try to engineer a situation where Heiss got the White Chronicle? After their little talk about how Black looked back on all past Sacrifices and White looked forward to the future, wouldn't that have changed his mind about everything?

What does Stocke say if you tell them his name is Ernst at the end? I liked "My name is Stocke. I'm just a man who wants to return to his friends." a lot, and I'm wondering what he says in the other case.

e: also, what the hell was up with Field Marshal Viola? It almost seemed like they changed their mind about her midway through writing. Making it seem like you killed her off in Granorg was dumb, then they redeemed it with the Black Chronicle scene right at the end having some good dialogue and being reasonable, and then they ruined it by retconning you into not killing her and her getting better through Sonja

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

and then they ruined it by retconning you into not killing her and her getting better through Sonja

This actually only happens if you do the sidequest about her journal. She'd been keeping the details of her disease under wraps and getting her journal public got them enough details to actually assist her with it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

mune posted:

Any PC or PS3, X360 RPGs with good prestige systems? i.e. you finish the game, or you get to a certain point and die, but because of your progress the next time you start the game you get an extra ability, or something like that.

The only one I can kind of think of is Dragon Quarter and that's kind of questionable at best :(
If your PS3 is backwards compatible, Baroque for the PS2 is an option. It's confusing and weird as hell, but it does what you're asking for.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
What are some good RPGs on PSP? Criteria is that I should be able to get it on PSN, but when I check out those games in gamefaqs, a lot of them have very low scores. I haven't heard about half of these games and I don't wanna buy mediocore crap I will never touch again.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

If you're happy with strategy RPGs then try Jeanne D'Arc... is that on PSN? I can't check right now, but I've liked what I've seen of the game so far.

Also don't count out the many, many regular Playstation RPGs you can run on your PSP via PSN.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ManOfTheYear posted:

What are some good RPGs on PSP? Criteria is that I should be able to get it on PSN, but when I check out those games in gamefaqs, a lot of them have very low scores. I haven't heard about half of these games and I don't wanna buy mediocore crap I will never touch again.

Persona 3 Portable for sure, and Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is pretty good, too.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

BadAstronaut posted:

If you're happy with strategy RPGs then try Jeanne D'Arc... is that on PSN? I can't check right now, but I've liked what I've seen of the game so far.

Also don't count out the many, many regular Playstation RPGs you can run on your PSP via PSN.

Jean d'arc isn't there, which is a shame.

ManOfTheYear fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Oct 7, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1) There's some games - Jeanne d'Arc among them - that have to be sideloaded from a PS3 (or presumably eventually a PS4); they can't be downloaded direct to the Vita. Of course, this may be different depending on region: a handful of games can be downloaded direct from PSN in Europe whose NA versions can't be put on the Vita for love or money.

2) Hold down the home (PS) button for a few seconds. A quick settings screen will come up; press the game settings button here. You'll get, among other things, screen and touchpad control configs and an aspect ratio control menu.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I was looking at Media Go just yesterday, Jeanne D'Arc is readily available for purchase and download to a PSP. I also found that XSeed is giving away Valhalla Knights for free, which is nice.

Also, Gurumin is an adorable Zelda style game that feels like you're playing an animated movie, and Hexyz Force is a well liked traditional RPG.

Just please don't get Crimson Gem Saga, it's the worst poo poo.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I recently re-acquired a Playstation 2 and have been trying to finish the games I never got around to completing. I've got Okami, Beyond Good and Evil, and Dark Cloud 2 to finish.

I just finished Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and I have to say, I liked Disc One better. For those that have played it, Disc Two had a really stupid plot twist: It's all a video game. I still plowed through to the end because I liked the characters enough to slog through the dumb story and bad dungeon design. I don't dislike it but, I am disappointed. I thought the game had a lot of potential after finishing Disc One and I was looking forward to how it turned out. As it turns out, most of the plot points from Disc One are completely irrelevant and it makes you wonder why they even brought it up. I haven't checked out the game, after I finished it, to see if there's a New Game+. I love New Game+ and that's the only way I'll see myself replaying this game.

Also, Farleen's voice.

I guess I'll get started on Dark Cloud 2. Something always happens and I end up restarting this game. I think this might be the 4th or 5th time I've done a complete reset of this game. I remember this game being really good and I'm looking forward to it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Speaking of Star Ocean, I snagged a copy of SO2 (PS1 original, not the PSP remake). Anything I should know or keep in mind before diving in?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

iastudent posted:

Speaking of Star Ocean, I snagged a copy of SO2 (PS1 original, not the PSP remake). Anything I should know or keep in mind before diving in?

Claude is the better start. Make sure he starts with the dexterity trait. Opera, Bowman, and Chisato are the best characters so make sure you get them if you wanna own.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ManOfTheYear posted:

I have no idea what's on the PSn, though. Sorry if these aren't available.

Don't forget Disgaea 1 & 2. Or Tactics Ogre, if humor isn't your thing. :argh:

I would also agree that Trails in the Sky is a darn good one.

I'm currently enjoying Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time. gently caress the haters. :colbert:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

RickDaedalus posted:

I just finished Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and I have to say, I liked Disc One better. For those that have played it, Disc Two had a really stupid plot twist: It's all a video game.

I haven't checked out the game, after I finished it, to see if there's a New Game+. I love New Game+ and that's the only way I'll see myself replaying this game.

No, there's a longish post-game, which is the reason you get to save after completing the game, but you'd have to already enjoy struggling against increasingly high-level enemies for that, rather than steamrolling everything. You could play Easy (Earth?) mode, I guess. The plot twist is pretty much the sci-if version of enter God's realm, slay God from a dozen other RPGs so it didn't particularly offend me.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Polsy posted:

No, there's a longish post-game, which is the reason you get to save after completing the game, but you'd have to already enjoy struggling against increasingly high-level enemies for that, rather than steamrolling everything. You could play Easy (Earth?) mode, I guess. The plot twist is pretty much the sci-if version of enter God's realm, slay God from a dozen other RPGs so it didn't particularly offend me.

That's disappointing. Maybe I'll load up my Gameshark if I feel like playing it again.

I could see myself not minding the plot twist if it was done in the beginning. As it stands, the game raised problems like Elicoor II having technology that was way too advanced for it's civilization, the Vendeeni war, UP3, etc. Most of those issues are either forgotten about or handwaved, despite having a lot of build up behind them. Even Fayt and Maria's special powers are completely irrelevant. After their powers are introduced, they never matter in the story. Only Sophia's power is the one of actual story impact.

I guess my main issue is that the plot twist is so distant and disconnected from everything else that was going on at that point. I half wonder if there was a change in the writing team/management that could have caused it to happen. Oh well.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

iastudent posted:

If you're going to pickpocket townsfolk do it during Private Actions, so your party members don't see it and lose respect for you.

But really, just have fun. The game gives you a million different ways to break it over your knee, and begs you to do it. It's GREAT!

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

If your PS3 is backwards compatible, Baroque for the PS2 is an option. It's confusing and weird as hell, but it does what you're asking for.

I've been interested in this one for awhile but unfortunately my PS3 isn't backwards compatible.

Wendell posted:

If you're going to pickpocket townsfolk do it during Private Actions, so your party members don't see it and lose respect for you.

But really, just have fun. The game gives you a million different ways to break it over your knee, and begs you to do it. It's GREAT!

I love SO2 and have had it for years but haven't had a PS1 for awhile to play it again. I keep trying to emulate it on ePSXe and it freezes my (beefy) computer. So frustrating. SO2 is probably one of the most fun RPGs I've ever played.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is pretty good, too.

I heard that's probably coming to Steam this winter. There's an ongoing LP, which I'm not really reading because I was thinking of getting it when it does? I like the dialogue that I've seen.

What are three good things about that game, and three bad things about it?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

alcharagia posted:

This actually only happens if you do the sidequest about her journal. She'd been keeping the details of her disease under wraps and getting her journal public got them enough details to actually assist her with it.
That makes sense, because the dude was there and talked about the journal, but the existence of that point still feels awful to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RickDaedalus posted:

I just finished Star Ocean: Till the End of Time and I have to say, I liked Disc One better. For those that have played it, Disc Two had a really stupid plot twist: It's all a video game. I still plowed through to the end because I liked the characters enough to slog through the dumb story and bad dungeon design. I don't dislike it but, I am disappointed. I thought the game had a lot of potential after finishing Disc One and I was looking forward to how it turned out. As it turns out, most of the plot points from Disc One are completely irrelevant and it makes you wonder why they even brought it up. I haven't checked out the game, after I finished it, to see if there's a New Game+. I love New Game+ and that's the only way I'll see myself replaying this game.

I've had a nickname for Star Ocean 3 for a while; Star Ocean 3: Til the Next Sidequest. Play through and see if you can count how many times the game derails its own plot for an over-extended, and often pointless, pitstop. Now you should give Star Ocean: The Last Hope a try :shepface:.

God help you if you do.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The battle system in Star Ocean 4 is so loving good it carried me through... well, everything else.

It's just a real drat shame about that everything else.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Coughing Hobo posted:

The battle system in Star Ocean 4 is so loving good it carried me through... well, everything else.

It's just a real drat shame about that everything else.

If you can cope with SO4's incarnation of Welch, you've got the patience of a saint.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Edge Maverick. I can't even cope with that name.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you can cope with SO4's incarnation of Welch, you've got the patience of a saint.

I honestly remember almost nothing about SO4 outside of the battle system except EDGE MAVERICK, destroying parallel timeline 1940s Earth because Edge is the biggest moron, and kay?.

I also remember the reasoning behind Edge using a sword instead of a gun was because his superior reflexes made bullets move too slow or somesuch kintergarden playground garbage.

It also has one of the best battle themes Motoi Sakuraba's ever done for Star Ocean/Tales games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EefEs1rxVEQ

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Edge Maverick. I can't even cope with that name.

Perhaps MST3K might help you learn to cope with awesome cheesy names :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

Coughing Hobo posted:

I honestly remember almost nothing about SO4 outside of the battle system except EDGE MAVERICK, destroying parallel timeline 1940s Earth because Edge is the biggest moron, and kay?.

I love that moment. It's perhaps one of the few times a JRPG protagonist has a legitimate right to be depressed/mopey for something they did, and the rest of the party do everything they can to make him shrug it off like it was nothing.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
When you play SO3, you think "No, I've reached peak anime, it doesn't get any dumber than this." Then you play Star Ocean 4, and makes you appreciate how thoughtful, mature, and nuanced the plot of Star Ocean 3 is in comparison.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 4, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Friendly Factory posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Star Ocean 4 is as close to a sex crime as one can get before technically being illegal

I'm pretty sure that's Ar Tonelico.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 4, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Friendly Factory posted:

To be fair, I've never played any of those because of what people have said

A wise person who makes wise decisions.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Friendly Factory posted:

To be fair, I've never played any of those because of what people have said

That's okay. The second one is the only good one (and good is debatable when you're talking a game made by Gust.)

I'm pretty sure the third Ar Tonelico actually is a sex crime. If it's not, it should be.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
What exactly goes on in anime games? Are they all dating sims?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

What exactly goes on in anime games? Are they all dating sims?

No, but you've got the gist of it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm now really curious about Ar Tonelico. I really don't like Gust's games. I played a dozen or so hours of the first Eternal Mana game they released and got really bored at how dull and generic it was. I've seen videos of and read about a few of their other games and they all seemed equally dull as dirt. I never got their appeal. And now I hear the Ar Tonelico series is really creepy? What is going on there?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm now really curious about Ar Tonelico. I really don't like Gust's games. I played a dozen or so hours of the first Eternal Mana game they released and got really bored at how dull and generic it was. I've seen videos of and read about a few of their other games and they all seemed equally dull as dirt. I never got their appeal. And now I hear the Ar Tonelico series is really creepy? What is going on there?

I'm trying to remember which absurd, Japanese-as-All-gently caress RPG Feinne LP'd that had bathing your (female and young, of course) protagonists as a gameplay element (to gain combat skills, I think?); I want to say it was one of the Ar Tonelicos. Possibly the third one from previous posts.

I don't feel a better person for having read those :(

But anyway all three are on lparchive.org if you're bored/in the mood for being a little weirded out.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The Atelier Iris trilogy is a sizable deviation from the traditional alchemy-centric stuff toward more standard JRPG fare.

The Ar tonelico trilogy is particularly pander-tastic, even for the Japanese video game standards of its time.

^ ^ ^ Case in point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I'm trying to remember which absurd, Japanese-as-All-gently caress RPG Feinne LP'd that had bathing your (female and young, of course) protagonists as a gameplay element (to gain combat skills, I think?); I want to say it was one of the Ar Tonelicos. Possibly the third one from previous posts.

I don't feel a better person for having read those :(

But anyway all three are on lparchive.org if you're bored/in the mood for being a little weirded out.

I think thats Record of Agarest War 2. (Maybe 1 too?) You use a bath minigame to increase their 'affection' which gives your next character (your son) better stats.

Kild fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 9, 2013