Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They really need to bring out a supercharged V model this time, since the Chevy and GMC are going to have the exact same drivetrains(available) right out of the gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Those tail lights look great, haters vacate :911:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I think the Escalade looks huge and ugly, but that's just me

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nodoze posted:

I think we're all framing it from a "SUV's are inherently huge and ugly" perspective.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Nodoze posted:

It looks huge because it is huge? You're wrong and you hate America.

Oh no, Acura ZDX, Honda Crosstour, BMW X6 and 5 series GT sales have collapsed!

http://www.autonews.com/article/20131007/OEM03/310079955/sporty-crossover-coupes-a-niche-going-nowhere#axzz2h5odDIyc

quote:

Mark Rechtin Twitter RSS feed
Automotive News
October 7, 2013 - 12:01 am ET -- UPDATED: 10/7/13 1:22 pm ET
LOS ANGELES -- They are hard to categorize -- not quite crossovers, wagons, hatchbacks or five-door coupes -- and they are proving even harder to sell.

Indeed, sales of crossovers with sharply tapered, coupelike rooflines fell dramatically in September, continuing a yearlong decline.

These crossover-coupes were intended to be a design statement, but styling has been controversial for some of them. And dealers say poor rear visibility, awkward ingress and egress, and limited back-seat headroom also have turned off shoppers.

The Toyota Venza.

Sales of five of the six players in this arena -- the Infiniti FX/QX70, Acura ZDX, Toyota Venza, Honda Crosstour, BMW X6 and BMW 5-series GT -- plummeted in September. Year-on-year declines last month ranged from 39 percent to 80 percent and most were down sharply for the first nine months.

By contrast, sales in the luxury-crossover segment were off just 4 percent for September and up 10 percent for nine months. Sales of all crossover vehicles were flat for September but rose 15 percent for nine months.

The Crosstour, essentially a crossover-coupe version of the Accord, peaked at 28,251 units in 2010, although Honda had hoped to sell 40,000 annually. Sales this year look like they will barely top 15,000 units.

BMW planned to build 40,000 X6s a year for global demand, with the United States being the volume leader.

Meanwhile, Acura had expected to sell 5,000 units of the ZDX annually, but sales peaked at 3,259 in 2010. Shoppers balked at the price ($51,815, with shipping, compared with the MDX's $43,185 starting price) and lack of rear headroom. The assembly-line sibling of the MDX crossover was killed at the end of the 2013 model year.

For Honda, it helped that the ZDX and Crosstour shared much of their platform and components with the MDX and Accord. It was relatively easy to switch production to the mass-appeal vehicles.

"Customers who bought [the Crosstour and ZDX] are extremely satisfied with their vehicles" said Art St. Cyr, head of product planning and logistics at American Honda Motor Co. "The line between these unique vehicles and [crossovers] has been blurred to the point that the market is gravitating towards more traditional utility, especially in the luxury segment.

"With Crosstour," he said, "we were looking for white space in the market and found incremental volume in this niche market."

The Infiniti QX70

BMW had planned to build 40,000 X6s a year for global demand, with the United States being the volume leader. Last year, BMW sold 6,749 units in the United States. BMW declined to provide a breakout for the 5-series GT, but reports are that sales are below 5,000 a year.

BMW spokesman Julian Arguelles admitted that X6 volumes have never measured up to those of the X5 crossover but said it has "performed better than expected in the U.S. market" as it approaches the end of its life cycle.

With a redesigned X5 platform just launched, a redesigned X6 could be on the way after the current X6 concludes in the 2014 model year.

BMW takes solace in that the 5-series GT outsold its predecessor 5-series wagon in this market. Arguelles said: "It fits the needs of a niche, even if it is a very small niche."

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nodoze posted:

Dunno, it's a giant box, and I think it owns that very well. I prefer it to giant SUVs that pretend to not be giant and/or boxes. If you want/need a giant car, I'd say this is on the short list.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Do any of the full size 'Murican* SUV's handle, brake, or go 0-60 any better than my old 2002 5.3 Chevy Tahoe did? Obviously the Denali/Escalade will but they are even heavier so whats the point.

Also, are they all still 5,500 lbs with no plans to ever cut weight like LR/Porsche/BMW are doing?

*Forged in TEXAS with 110% mexican parts! :911:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

Do any of the full size 'Murican* SUV's handle, brake, or go 0-60 any better than my old 2002 5.3 Chevy Tahoe did? Obviously the Denali/Escalade will but they are even heavier so whats the point.

Also, are they all still 5,500 lbs with no plans to ever cut weight like LR/Porsche/BMW are doing?

GM is working to drop ~500lbs of weight with the half ton pick-ups in the interest of fuel economy, that will likely carry over to the SUVs. That would still only bring the weight down to 5500lbs for the AWD version.

Nobody is buying these for the handling, braking, or 0-60 times, and neither the handling nor braking of any of these would ever be deemed unsafe. You have more to worry about with the mitsubishi mirage than you do an escalade or suburban as far as the vehicles capablities go.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
They are still 145+ feet to stop from 60 mph. So when some xanax'd out SUV soccer mom driving a Denali full of screaming kids is tailgating me - I always need to know proper escape routes in case someone stacks up ahead of us. I seriously considered adding some bigger brakes to the Tahoe when I had it - and it seems they haven't gotten any better.

In comparison, my 4,100 lb BMW 535 stops in under 115 feet from 60 mph, which is drat good considering my other older but much lighter 2002 330 only could do it in 124 feet. Obviously, GM can give a poo poo about brakes because the units they put on the Corvettes are insane.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Keyser S0ze posted:

The old Grand Cherokee SRT8 was legitimately fast, and I hear the newer one is decent, too. And isn't the Explorer still technically a full-size? I think they got curb weight on those down to 4500 lbs.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The old Explorer was never full-size, and the new one is car-based.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Keyser S0ze posted:

They are still 145+ feet to stop from 60 mph. So when some xanax'd out SUV soccer mom driving a Denali full of screaming kids is tailgating me - I always need to know proper escape routes in case someone stacks up ahead of us. I seriously considered adding some bigger brakes to the Tahoe when I had it - and it seems they haven't gotten any better.

In comparison, my 4,100 lb BMW 535 stops in under 115 feet from 60 mph, which is drat good considering my other older but much lighter 2002 330 only could do it in 124 feet. Obviously, GM can give a poo poo about brakes because the units they put on the Corvettes are insane.

The 5,200lb Silverado that Edmunds has in their long term fleet stopped from 60 in 128ft, which is definitely not bad. It also got to 60 in six and a half seconds which would probably embarrass most of the cars I've owned.

Also, there's a 2015 Colorado/Canyon coming which should bring hope to those that don't want to settle for a full size pickup. I'd imagine it will probably come with the newer Gen3 ecotec 2.5 4 cylinder as well as the 3.6V6.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
All I'm seeing in that new Escalade is a truck with a box cover. I think it looks terrible personally.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

SouthLAnd posted:

The 5,200lb Silverado that Edmunds has in their long term fleet stopped from 60 in 128ft, which is definitely not bad. It also got to 60 in six and a half seconds which would probably embarrass most of the cars I've owned.

Also, there's a 2015 Colorado/Canyon coming which should bring hope to those that don't want to settle for a full size pickup. I'd imagine it will probably come with the newer Gen3 ecotec 2.5 4 cylinder as well as the 3.6V6.

The trucks come from the factory with those knobby mud tires. The SUVs with more performance oriented rubber should do better.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Looks worse than that awful Infiniti everyone was complaining about to

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Speaking of big murican SUVs, the 2014 Durango is probably the best looking of the whole bunch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHriC6qA0U

I'd say it's one of the few cars that does gray well.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
The Ron Burgundy adds are pretty funny too. The glove box can hold 50 packs of gum!

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

"GUM FOR DAYS!"

I see that the horse one has already rustled some jimmies going by the comments.

With Fiat purchasing the rest of VM Motori, they should really put the diesel V6 in the Durango. That would make its best in class MPG untouchable while simultaneous boosting its towing ability.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
For what it is the Escalade doesn't look bad. On the other hand the rear quarter / tail treatment with the tall taillights etc make it look more like a big station wagon than a converted truck. Which may have been the point, but I wonder how that's going to market to people picking one over an import for the butch factor.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
welp here's a new diesel engine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFx0H3L_1cE

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Oh yeah collapsed from 5 to 3. I like quirky vehicles and AWD wagons actually but the Crosstour / ZDX, meh.

Hopefully we see some OEMs pick up that diesel engine.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CharlesM posted:

Hopefully we see some OEMs pick up that diesel engine.
Nissan is using it in the next gen Titan.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I love the front end of the new Escalade but the back end looks like a Volvo and I'm not particularly a fan of those deeply vertical taillights.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mr. Apollo posted:

Nissan is using it in the next gen Titan.

I don't really care about the new Titan because there's a plethora of large diesel trucks already on the market to choose from, but it would be interesting if they put this engine into a Titan based Armada SUV, since everyone seems to have stopped making large diesel SUVs after the demise of the 7.3l diesel Excursion. The 3.0l VM V6 seems too small for a large 3 row.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Cool turbo design.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tekne posted:

Speaking of big murican SUVs, the 2014 Durango is probably the best looking of the whole bunch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHriC6qA0U

I'd say it's one of the few cars that does gray well.

Since they brought the Durango back a few years ago I've literally seen two of them on the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

has

Keyser S0ze posted:

The 6129lb 150 Harley Davidson pulled off a117ft stop in a motor trend test a while back. In the days of 14+inch rotors and 275mm stock tires, braking distance isn't an issue.

http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1110_2011_ford_f_150_full_line_test/

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 8, 2013

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
The Escalade's rear half reminds me of a hearse.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

has
The 6129lb 150 Harley Davidson pulled off a117ft stop in a motor trend test a while back. In the days of 14+inch rotors and 275mm stock tires, braking distance isn't an issue.
http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1110_2011_ford_f_150_full_line_test/

Sure, 150 HD gonzo is great but I bet it can only hit that number only the very first time (and will fade quickly) and only accounts for a small percentage of the actual trucks out there tailgating everyone. Similar to the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee 0-60 arguments. Also most consumers will put the cheapest, shittiest all season tires from Walmart on their rigs and if GM/Ford is still including crap like the Firestone Wilderness/Destination LE or Goodyear Wranglers on new trucks then those things are awful too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

Sure, 150 HD gonzo is great but I bet it can only hit that number only the very first time (and will fade quickly) and only accounts for a small percentage of the actual trucks out there tailgating everyone. Similar to the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee 0-60 arguments. Also most consumers will put the cheapest, shittiest all season tires from Walmart on their rigs and if GM/Ford is still including crap like the Firestone Wilderness/Destination LE or Goodyear Wranglers on new trucks then those things are awful too.
It's not a loving track day. If you have to panic brake from 60 to 0 twice in less than 5 minutes, yot are going to kill somebody no matter what you are driving. The only advantage the 117 foot hd has over the others is massive rubber which most esclades and such will obviously have.

While we are judging here, why did you get a5 series. The 3 series is lighter and brakes quicker. Why are you risking my safety with your poor life choices. Everybody knows bmw drivers always do 30 over the speed limit, we would be better off you were doing that in a lighter car that could do less damage.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah, panic stops with cold brakes come almost entirely down to tires, weight, suspension, and ABS system tuning considering you can almost instantly lock up the brakes on any modern truck just fine.

Fade-resistance is its own thing, but it really has zero relevance for boring everyday drivers short of "I'm going down an enormous hill and I'm sloooooowly pressing the brakes the entire time", which honestly is arguably still more user error than anything else.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It is perfectly valid to say that test braking distances done with new OEM tires don't necessarily reflect on real world conditions with whatever underinflated bald mismatches someone has thrown on oversized and heavy wheels onto their style truck. Knowing that a pro driver on a test track got a Leviathan SUV to crank to a halt only a few feet past where my motorcycle can stop is cold comfort in the real world when the posterboy for distracted driving is riding my rear end in traffic. This is basically the same argument going on in the terrible car stuff thread.

However, that's true of all cars, and this is the new car thread, where those numbers are as meaningful as they'll ever be. The car makers can only do so much if the eventual owners neglect to keep their vehicles in proper condition.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

It's not a loving track day. If you have to panic brake from 60 to 0 twice in less than 5 minutes, yot are going to kill somebody no matter what you are driving. The only advantage the 117 foot hd has over the others is massive rubber which most esclades and such will obviously have.

While we are judging here, why did you get a5 series. The 3 series is lighter and brakes quicker. Why are you risking my safety with your poor life choices. Everybody knows bmw drivers always do 30 over the speed limit, we would be better off you were doing that in a lighter car that could do less damage.

They are driving 30 mph faster to get away from the mouffbreathers in the pickup trucks/suv's tailgating everyone. :swoon:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Autoblog spent some time with the S60's new powertrain. A 300hp twincharged 2.0L 4cyl that Volvo is hoping will get around 40mpg on the highway.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/08/2015-volvo-s60-t6-drive-e-review-first-drive-video/

The new motors are called Drive-E, which should confuse enough people into thinking they're hybrids.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SouthLAnd posted:

Autoblog spent some time with the S60's new powertrain. A 300hp twincharged 2.0L 4cyl that Volvo is hoping will get around 40mpg on the highway.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/08/2015-volvo-s60-t6-drive-e-review-first-drive-video/

The new motors are called Drive-E, which should confuse enough people into thinking they're hybrids.

Still better than Earth Dreams.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Midniter posted:

Still better than Earth Dreams.

EarthDreams is so childishly aloof and pretentious that I like it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SouthLAnd posted:

300hp and 40mpg on the highway seems impossible with current technology.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bovril Delight posted:

300hp and 40mpg on the highway seems impossible with current technology.

Gearing and engine management could possibly do it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I bet you don't believe there are robots living among us either? :colbert:

E: The swedish edition of Auto Motor & Sport did a mileage race last year, where they drove some cars as far as possible on one tank in regular traffic, and they had to keep a certain average speed so as to not skew the numbers, and the 150hp Volvo V60 T3 got 58.81 MPG US. Sure, that ain't 300hp but it's not too shabby for a turbo petrol car.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Gearing and engine management could possibly do it.

The current Mustang V6 gets what, 32MPG highway? It's got over 300hp.