Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think Verizon's backup system does texts or call logs. What you could do is install SMS Backup+ and transfer all that stuff to your gmail account on your old phone and then import it back on the new one.

I will echo though that the motorola migrate stuff was great though. It worked flawlessly with my MAXX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
The verizon messaging client also allows saving and exporting your SMS threads.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
S4 showed up and you all are right. It's like living in a different world compared to my old Galaxy Nexus. Thank goodness for the unlimited glitch.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
:dance:

So I was disappointed that the 32gb space grey I saw available for Apple store pick-up last night disappeared from inventory early this AM. So I resolved myself to getting the 16gb at a different store on my way to school. On my way I checked one last time the availability, and lo and behold the 32gb popped back in as available. I am guessing someone did the reservation for pickup and then cancelled.

So I get to the store with the 32gb (having called ahead of time to confirm it was actually there and not a glitch). I forgot just how annoying Apple store drones can be. I swear that a good 33% of them were simply wandering around chatting with each other, trying to look as hip as possible. The pretentiousness was enough to bring on some outward signs of extreme grumpiness while I waited for one to take notice of the tall bearded grumpy guy waiting to buy something.

The manager ends up noticing me, apologizes profusely for the wait (I didn't mention anything, again I must have looked grumpy at that point). So phone is still there, she has a drone go get the thing from in back (32gb space grey :dance:). In the meanwhile she shows me cases after I mention I have one on the way (magpul) and just want a cheapo to get me through the wait. She ends up tossing in a free leather apple case, to apologize for the wait. Again, I never grumbled a bit.

Got home, disabled the iPhone on that line, reactivated the (wife's) basic phone on it (had VZW via the chat feature do it), checked to make sure everything was back to pre-upgrade status and all is well. Wife is back on basic plan, I still have my unlimited on my line, and the iPhone is sitting powered off a bit before I get around to activating it on my line.

fini

PS: Had I followed through with my original VZW.com order, my 16gb was a total of $243.67. The total paid at the Apple store for the 32gb including free leather case? $319

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

So I bought a 5S today using a dumbphone line's upgrade. I put the dumbphone back on that line right away. The website made me take at minimum a 75MB/$10 data plan. Huh? The line had no data plan on it as a dumbphone before.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

kitten smoothie posted:

So I bought a 5S today using a dumbphone line's upgrade. I put the dumbphone back on that line right away. The website made me take at minimum a 75MB/$10 data plan. Huh? The line had no data plan on it as a dumbphone before.

You need to call customer service. They can take it off and add a block. They won't activate a data capable phone without data in the online tool. Keeps an extra $10/month coming in from the ones to dumb to call and bitch.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

kitten smoothie posted:

That's what I ran into as well, which is why I then went through the process with the folks on the chat option of the VZW site.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
I had problems getting the S4 activated but I called verizon and the helpful guy on tech support got me fixed up right up.

Went online to check my billing, and it had put me on a 2gb plan. I think because I had to call tech support.

I called back up, the girl I spoke to to said it was clear I should have unlimited data and she had to fill out a form to make the change back to unlimited. Said it should take 24-48 hours.

So, people check your stuff online to make sure you kept unlimited just in case.

On the plus side, the S4 is like a whole new world, this is insane.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Droid Maxx is down to $200 on Amazon for renewed contracts.

Apparently you can't transfer an upgrade when ordering through Amazon, so after some internet searching I believe I can order it on whatever line has the upgrade, but take it to the verizon store and have them apply it to whichever line I want without getting charged an ETF by Amazon, so I ordered one.

edit;
I'm doing the use a line without unlimited plan to activate then switch phones which is why I am no just activating on the line that has the upgrade and swapping.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
Just a heads-up you guys.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-max-dressed-verizon

Verizon is getting a variant of the One Max and it appears this thing will actually have a removable battery. I didn't think VZW had any tricks up their sleeve for the holidays considering their big end-of-summer/early-fall phone blowout but here we are.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

bull3964 posted:

It worked flawlessly with my MAXX.

Hey dude, did you install that PhotoSphere app on your MAXX that allows you to take panoramic pictures? Did that help with the pictures at all? I know when I put that on my GNex, it seemed to give me a little better control over things and the images seemed a little sharper... (I have the .apk if you don't, it was free so no :filez:)

I am really wondering about the camera, and since I think at some point you also had a GNex, I would like to hear your opinion.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't installed the photosphere app because I just don't really see the point beyond gimmicks.

Without a doubt, even before the Moto X update comes to the MAXX, the camera is head and shoulders above the Galaxy Nexus camera. Right now it does suffer from some white balance issues, but it's nice knowing that they will go away soon.

I haven't taken too many pictures yet, here are two. First was in a bar like setting with subdue lighting (but not overly dim) and no flash. The second was taken in full daylight about 20 minutes before dusk. The first was also taken before I turned on the touch to focus so it just sort of focused in the center of the shot.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

bull3964 posted:

I haven't installed the photosphere app because I just don't really see the point beyond gimmicks.

Without a doubt, even before the Moto X update comes to the MAXX, the camera is head and shoulders above the Galaxy Nexus camera. Right now it does suffer from some white balance issues, but it's nice knowing that they will go away soon.

I haven't taken too many pictures yet, here are two. First was in a bar like setting with subdue lighting (but not overly dim) and no flash. The second was taken in full daylight about 20 minutes before dusk. The first was also taken before I turned on the touch to focus so it just sort of focused in the center of the shot.

Okay then, I know what I am getting! Thanks duder, I appreciate all your answers and information.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

I love Photo Sphere, so I installed the APK on my Moto X. I also like the settings and control options more in the 4.3 stock APK.

If you use the stock APK and disable the Moto version, you lose the launch gesture, and you also cannot take photos at maximum resolution. The stock APK does not know how to use the wide aspect ratio sensor and limits you.

My homescreen has a shortcut to the Moto camera and gesture control still works. Normally I use to Moto camera to get the full resolution possible. When I want to take a Photo Sphere, I go into my app drawer and launch the 4.3 APK.

Houston Rockets fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 7, 2013

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I need the smallest and lightest dumbphone I can get for Verizon.

It needs to be as small and light as possible so it can fit in my handheld water bottle pouch without weighing my arm down while I'm out running.

My last run ended further from my house than I'd anticipated with me being both out of water and feeling like I was going to pass out. I don't currently run with my phone for various reasons, and since I have a secondary number which is currently unused, I figure it would make a great emergency line if needed. Any recommendations that fit my needs?

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 8, 2013

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Sounds you like you should just get a burner from Walmart

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Sounds you like you should just get a burner from Walmart

Cant use a prepaid phone on postpaid Verizon until its been activated for 6m.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

nickhimself posted:

I need the smallest and lightest dumbphone I can get for Verizon.

It needs to be as small and light as possible so it can fit in my handheld water bottle pouch without weighing my arm down while I'm out running.
If you can still find one anywhere, a Samsung Juke (SCH-U470) would probably work well for this.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So I went to the Verizon store the other day and while there the guy said he could give me a better deal on my plan. I went from $97/mo for 450 min, unlimited text, 2 gb of data, and insurance to $70 a month for unlimited talk/text, 2gb data, and insurance.

A couple questions:

When I login now the plan say it's some loyalty plan 1YR - does that mean it expires after a year?

And I'm assuming my 22% employment discount no longer applies? Not that big of a deal since it's still cheaper than my old plan but it would be nice if it could.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How much of an employment discount do you get via working at best buy?

I'm still kind of frustrated that only C&T and BBYM can get the concession line (normally a $70~ plan for under $40) when any of us, especially in customer service can "sell" a product/plan. We're basically floor associates except we're usually stuck behind a desk with a phone in our pocket regardless.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How much of an employment discount do you get via working at best buy?

I'm still kind of frustrated that only C&T and BBYM can get the concession line (normally a $70~ plan for under $40) when any of us, especially in customer service can "sell" a product/plan. We're basically floor associates except we're usually stuck behind a desk with a phone in our pocket regardless.

I used to work at a Best Buy Mobile, and the employee discount is actually pretty loving sweet. A lot of the stuff in-store you can get for %5 above their cost.

I picked up a pretty bangin bluetooth headset, and a pair of gaming headphones for my PC on the super cheap while working there :whatup: I wasn't there long enough to get in on the discounted phone plans, but from what I heard they were super cheap as well. Just had to have your carrier rep that visited your store once or twice a week to hook you up with it. Usually they did it for anyone working there six months or more.

It's about the only thing I miss from that job. If anyone reading this works in retail, make every effort you can to get the hell out ASAP. You'll almost instantly turn into a much happier person.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The concession lines for Verizon for my company at least are 1/2 the data cost and no line access fee.

$25 would get you the 1GB share everything plan and so on.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So I went to the Verizon store the other day and while there the guy said he could give me a better deal on my plan. I went from $97/mo for 450 min, unlimited text, 2 gb of data, and insurance to $70 a month for unlimited talk/text, 2gb data, and insurance.

A couple questions:

When I login now the plan say it's some loyalty plan 1YR - does that mean it expires after a year?

And I'm assuming my 22% employment discount no longer applies? Not that big of a deal since it's still cheaper than my old plan but it would be nice if it could.
Like any Verizon plan you pretty much get to keep it forever as long as you have a compatible device on it. The reason it says 1 YR in the name is because the plan is only supposed to be offered if your contract is less than 1 year in which case it puts you in a 1 year contract starting from the date the plan was put into effect.

If your contract was already more than a year from when it was added it we weren't supposed to give it to you but did anyway. Whoops. It does not extend your contract in that case.

Your discount does not apply because it is an unlimited minute Nationwide plan. The terms of your employer's discount exclude it from those types of plans.

The only unlimited minute plans that get employee discounts are Share Everything plans where the account level bit gets a discount.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

THF13 posted:

Droid Maxx is down to $200 on Amazon for renewed contracts.

Apparently you can't transfer an upgrade when ordering through Amazon, so after some internet searching I believe I can order it on whatever line has the upgrade, but take it to the verizon store and have them apply it to whichever line I want without getting charged an ETF by Amazon, so I ordered one.

edit;
I'm doing the use a line without unlimited plan to activate then switch phones which is why I am no just activating on the line that has the upgrade and swapping.
Quoting myself to say this doesn't work. When you order of Amazon the phone is already tied to the account that had the upgrade available so you can't activate it on whatever line you want. Going to try to call customer service tomorrow to see if they can help me out but I will most likely end up returning the phone to Amazon and ordering it through Verizon directly.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

THF13 posted:

Quoting myself to say this doesn't work. When you order of Amazon the phone is already tied to the account that had the upgrade available so you can't activate it on whatever line you want. Going to try to call customer service tomorrow to see if they can help me out but I will most likely end up returning the phone to Amazon and ordering it through Verizon directly.

Can't you just activate it on that line then move the phone to the line you want. That's what I did with my new phone to keep unlimited data.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

jfreder posted:

Can't you just activate it on that line then move the phone to the line you want. That's what I did with my new phone to keep unlimited data.

no because they would charge you a secondary etf for changing the level of service on the line from smartphone->non

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is a weird question but please bear with me.

Does anyone know if Verizon can restore a lost text conversation? With the recent Iphone update my girlfriend lost the entire series of texts with her mother and we're wondering if that would be sitting on a server somewhere. See, her mother recently passed away and she had and the last time they communicated was via texts. Is it possible that Verizon would be able to help her out with this?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Did she have a backup of the device on her computer before she updated? There are tools out there to extract text conversations from the backup.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Did she have a backup of the device on her computer before she updated? There are tools out there to extract text conversations from the backup.

No. Her laptop died a few months ago, she's been using a Chrome book to do her schoolwork. She's never even connected the two.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I doubt you'll get an SMS log out of Verizon without a subpoena.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I doubt you'll get an SMS log out of Verizon without a subpoena.

This is the right post. Sorry duder :(

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

If her laptop broke and it wasn't a hard drive failure, you can pull the hard drive out, put it in an enclosure, and get to a backup.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Verizon said the release date of the Note 3 is the 12th, but best buy has been selling them since last thursday

:iiam:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Cant use a prepaid phone on postpaid Verizon until its been activated for 6m.

I suck at reading and missed that he already had a 2nd line with Verizon. I thought he meant just getting a 2nd line just for the purpose of emergencies

My employees have Samsung Aliases which have been going strong for a few years. Searching google it looks like you can find one used for $25.00 or so

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Houston Rockets posted:

If her laptop broke and it wasn't a hard drive failure, you can pull the hard drive out, put it in an enclosure, and get to a backup.

It's been sitting in a box for 4 months now, the text from her mother was just over a month ago. Plus she's not the most tech savvy so I doubt she ever thought to back anything up.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Verizon said the release date of the Note 3 is the 12th, but best buy has been selling them since last thursday

:iiam:

Had them and been selling since the 1st.

The only phone you can really get in trouble for breaking street dates on are apple devices.

Eschatology
Dec 3, 2012

For any of you data-gluttons out there waking up in the middle of the night with soaked sheets at the prospect of someday losing your unlimited data package, there is a "save" plan available if you are upgrading or opting in to Edge which will earn you a big sexy 6GB data package for a nominal $30 a month. It is a discretionary offering, so be nice to your representative and you may be gifted.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's been covered extensively in the past few pages complete with the proper codes to find the plan.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

bull3964 posted:

It's been covered extensively in the past few pages complete with the proper codes to find the plan.

Even with the code I was told I couldn't apply with my corporate discount intact.

Can anyone confirm the same? I guess it doesn't matter now because I got my unlimited back but I'm still curious if they were full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
I gave the code from this thread to my girlfriend who called up Verizon to get 6GB. She talked with the rep for awhile and he eventually figured out that he wasn't able to add the feature directly because her family plan already has a corporate discount applied and he wasn't able to add it without removing the discount. He told her he would put in a special request for her but said that there was little chance it would work. Two days later she got notified that she was switched to 6GB on her line while keeping the corporate discount as well.

• Locked thread