Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Nomnom Cookie posted:

that guy is editing one script because he doesn't know any better. it's also A Thing to concatenate and minify the js for a page, it speeds js up lol

efb

javascript execution speed is not at all affected by combining/minifying scripts. the speedup is because you're not getting the overhead of taking down and negotiating new http requests. this has nothing to do w/ the language itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tiny Bug Child posted:

how many people work here? probably about 30-40 full timers. idk it's started to hit the point where i don't actually know everyone who works over in the spain office

1 mil / mo on 40 ftes ain't shabby

i'm in the wrong business

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

spongeh posted:

javascript execution speed is not at all affected by combining/minifying scripts. the speedup is because you're not getting the overhead of taking down and negotiating new http requests. this has nothing to do w/ the language itself.

the js language standard is what mandates the lovely serial downloads and serial loads

all other http resources are pulled in parallel

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the js language standard is what mandates the lovely serial downloads and serial loads

all other http resources are pulled in parallel

nope

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

please explain to me how you can implement the standards-mandated dom without the lovely serial loads

i'm all ears about why mozilla and chrome choose to be slow as gently caress for no reason

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
javascripts are pulled the same way all other resources are, its the execution that's done sequentially. the reason people minify their javascript libraries is because they are laughably huge and its less bandwidth for the server

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
the reason is that http spec says you shouldnt have more than 2 simultaneous persistent connections

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

public, static, and main are all fuckin fine. get a grip. they're well-specified, they are well-understood by users coming from other languages, and they provide useful features

it was a joke, that was what pollyanna as blubbering about in the coding horrors thread after reading babby's first java tutorial for 3 minutes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Posting Principle posted:

the reason is that http spec says you shouldnt have more than 2 simultaneous persistent connections

no browser hews to this hth

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

spongeh posted:

startup time is affected and that's what I mean. it's part of speed.

although i wouldn't be surprised if minified js ran faster too

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

public, static, and main are all fuckin fine. get a grip. they're well-specified, they are well-understood by users coming from other languages, and they provide useful features

if we want to nitpick bad keywords, the fuckup is the omission of "final" from your list. it means at least six different things based on context. let's see if i can name them (i will miss some i guarantee it, even w/ google to help)
  1. final classes cannot be subclassed. easy peasy. like "sealed' in c# except re-using a keyword
  2. final methods cannot be overriden
  3. final variables are actually const variables
  4. final variables in an inner class do something completely different: they modify scope to permit the enclosing class to use the variables
  5. final primitive variables are const, but they're also synchronized. or inlined. depending on how the compiler feels that day.
  6. final arrays are never const in the C sense, they're heap allocated objects even if they are primitive arrays
  7. final parameters make them const. because otherwise java params are non-const. lol

idk i mean yes that's dumb and stupid. but it shouldn't be costing anyone days of work (jar hell) or severely limiting the types you can create (no structs, type erasure). also final and const are different, final is const pointer only

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
jar hell isn't a thing if you're using maven and u aren't using maven ur a moron.
type erasure is not really a big deal and is only slightly annoying when you want to do something that's probably 90% of the time a bad idea.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

jar hell isn't a thing if you're using maven and u aren't using maven ur a moron.
type erasure is not really a big deal and is only slightly annoying when you want to do something that's probably 90% of the time a bad idea.

jar hell is a thing in j2ee, because classloader ordering/behavior is poorly specified

but if you use j2ee you probably hate your job for lots of other reasons

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

idk i mean yes that's dumb and stupid. but it shouldn't be costing anyone days of work (jar hell) or severely limiting the types you can create (no structs, type erasure). also final and const are different, final is const pointer only

yeah having final mean a bunch of things is not going to cost you a lot of time over your career. but it's dumb and stupid and hard to learn, and java was meant to be clear and simple and easy to learn

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not a problem unless ur doing dumb things or the server is buggy.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
always use osgi

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
<script async> bitches

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

it's a thing if not all of your dependencies are properly mavenized, and it's not always feasible to mavenize them yourself

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

ooh can i play

[#]the insistence on statically avoiding dangling pointers makes some obviously correct and some not-obviously correct but common in C patterns not typecheck, at least without involving reference counting with all the limitations that brings
    [#]for how much of a selling point it is, the concurrency story is really not that impressive, especially integration with io, so far.
    [#]same as above but about C interop. like, haskell probably does both of these better or at least more conveniently.
    [#]unrelated but i forgot how to do numbered lists in bbcode
    [#]compile times are probably not going to go anywhere because of the large compilation units

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it's a thing if not all of your dependencies are properly mavenized, and it's not always feasible to mavenize them yourself

ya it is

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

get better deps

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you've got stuff you know is on the server, add it as provided in ur pom (or better yet create a pom w/ all the provideds listed and make that a reusable dependency).

if the stuff is custom crap, shove it into nexus

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

pom pom wei wei wei

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it's really not that hard,

if you have the source, just add a pom
if you only have a jar/war/ear, just use the nexus to upload the artifact directly, with a bespoke pom

make sure your versioning scheme matches theirs, and what i always do is put my org's group name and extend the artifact name to include their group name (or what i would assume is their group name), spring does this

so like, if you have jar "lovely thing" from oracle and it's version 1.2.3, and your org is something awful the gav should be com.somethingawful/com.oracle.lovely-thing/1.2.3

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Vanadium posted:

[#]unrelated but i forgot how to do numbered lists in bbcode

list=1
  1. burps
  2. farts
  3. pianos

I was going to use a pre for the formatting but lol, it renders even in a pre block:

pre:
  1. burps
  2. farts
  3. pianos
thanks radium

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

it's really not that hard,

if you have the source, just add a pom
if you only have a jar/war/ear, just use the nexus to upload the artifact directly, with a bespoke pom

make sure your versioning scheme matches theirs, and what i always do is put my org's group name and extend the artifact name to include their group name (or what i would assume is their group name), spring does this

so like, if you have jar "lovely thing" from oracle and it's version 1.2.3, and your org is something awful the gav should be com.somethingawful/com.oracle.lovely-thing/1.2.3

which works great until a coworker decides to run his artisanal hadoop jar on my classpath and everything is hosed and i have to either support his attempts to fix it or take over packaging his mapreduce jobs

i'm not saying it's a problem with no solutions, i'm saying it's a problem and you have to solve it. it sucks even if you know what you're doing. it sucks to look at a list of 300+ jars to spot conflicts. it sucks integrating dependencies that bundle their deps, have old deps, and don't have an unbundled option

p.s. hadoop packaging is so terrible. its just the worst

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the solution is use maven and fire the people who don't use the solution

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

list=1
  1. burps
  2. farts
  3. pianos

I was going to use a pre for the formatting but lol, it renders even in a pre block:

pre:
  1. burps
  2. farts
  3. pianos
thanks radium

Use code instead of pre

code:
[list=1][*]burps
[*]farts
[*]pianos[/list=1]

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

which works great until a coworker decides to run his artisanal hadoop jar on my classpath and everything is hosed and i have to either support his attempts to fix it or take over packaging his mapreduce jobs

i'm not saying it's a problem with no solutions, i'm saying it's a problem and you have to solve it. it sucks even if you know what you're doing. it sucks to look at a list of 300+ jars to spot conflicts. it sucks integrating dependencies that bundle their deps, have old deps, and don't have an unbundled option

p.s. hadoop packaging is so terrible. its just the worst

yeah so your problem is not that mavenizing an unmavenized jar is hard. it's definitely not hard. it takes about 60 seconds.

no the problem is that you have some rear end in a top hat jars that bundled their deps. which means you have to unpack and repack the jar. which is not that hard in itself, it just makes me really, really angry when i have to do it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the only thing worse than bundling your deps in the jar is loving it up with OneJar

that way you can have bundled deps AND a hijacked classloader that ignores your classpath

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Nomnom Cookie posted:

p.s. hadoop is so terrible. its just the worst

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i thought hodapp was just something you ran on the mapred cluster and not on your workstation

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i thought hodapp was just something you ran on the mapred cluster and not on your workstation

ok technically they took my classpath and shoved ALL OF IT into hadoop

at oldjob i started thinking the only sane thing was to make everything a WAR and run it inside tomcat. this is what newjob does

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah so your problem is not that mavenizing an unmavenized jar is hard. it's definitely not hard. it takes about 60 seconds.

no the problem is that you have some rear end in a top hat jars that bundled their deps. which means you have to unpack and repack the jar. which is not that hard in itself, it just makes me really, really angry when i have to do it

oh yeah if its a little jar mavenizing it is ez. the problems come from projects like hadoop that just assume they own the classpath and bundle up a whole bunch of poo poo and provide zero guidance on what deps are actually necessary and what you can remove. storm does this too

it's not like this is a new problem, servlets addressed it a long rear end time ago by giving each war its own classloader. but open sores is poop from a butt

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so either run each hadoop in its own jvm or run it inside its own container. ez pz problem solved.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

oh yeah if its a little jar mavenizing it is ez. the problems come from projects like hadoop that just assume they own the classpath and bundle up a whole bunch of poo poo and provide zero guidance on what deps are actually necessary and what you can remove. storm does this too

storm and scalding are both way worse than hadoop

a normal java application has properties files, config files, and shell scripts to configure and boot the drat thing. in the worst case, you get like jetty, where the properties/config/shell just launches start.jar, which relaunches the jvm

storm and scalding turn this poo poo on their head. storm uses python scripts + yaml config + environment variables to launch. scalding uses ruby. it's impossible to turn a storm or scalding app into a normal deployable thing; no matter what you do you're gonna come back to their wretched scripting

yeah we know java has 10 years of deployment tooling but we thought "python storm.py deploy-my-poo poo" was somehow better

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
also at least the storm python scripts are halfway readable

scalding is so bad i just couldn't get it to run on my desktop; it like wanted scala 2.8 and ruby 1.8 and prayer. and there were no usable docs just example code, which of course requires scalding to already be working

it's like they just dumped somebody's source tree + readme.md to github and called it done

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres probably a maven plugin that handles generating the startup scripts and prob windows java service wrapper installation scripts too

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Examine your problem.

Is the problem solved by using maven/maven plugins?

if the answer is no, your problem is you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also at least the storm python scripts are halfway readable

scalding is so bad i just couldn't get it to run on my desktop; it like wanted scala 2.8 and ruby 1.8 and prayer. and there were no usable docs just example code, which of course requires scalding to already be working

it's like they just dumped somebody's source tree + readme.md to github and called it done

sounds real bad

e: woah big