Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

quote:

Oh and one more thing. Peyton may have switched teams and coaches, which goes to add to his personal resume and ability. People say Tom's a system quarterback with a HOF coach and that helped him...but let's be honest. Doesn't the Denver Broncos offense look EXACTLY like Peyton Manning's offense in Indy?

:staredog: System QB has had a number of (bad, dumb) definitions, but never one like "a QB who implements his own system and lets the coach and OC play along."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nail Rat posted:

That's Tom. :smug:

I should post some Nextbigthing posts from Football futures. He's a relentless Patriots homer who's posts about fifty times a day about how this group of receivers is the best Brady's ever had and that they're going undefeated.

But I'd feel bad posting things my eyes refuse to actually process.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kalli posted:

I should post some Nextbigthing posts from Football futures. He's a relentless Patriots homer who's posts about fifty times a day about how this group of receivers is the best Brady's ever had and that they're going undefeated.

But I'd feel bad posting things my eyes refuse to actually process.

As stupid as it is, you have to admit: the 2013 Patriots, with the receiving corps they have, being the Patriot team that actually does go 18-0 would be the funniest thing.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

The Seahawks fan obsession with Kaep is getting a little weird. The "look at all the thug pictures Kaep posts and the old white guy pictures that Wilson" posts thing was weird, but now it's weirder that it's such a trend.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Anals of History posted:

:staredog: System QB has had a number of (bad, dumb) definitions, but never one like "a QB who implements his own system and lets the coach and OC play along."

To be fair, Manning is a system QB. Granted its the Peyton Manning System, and can only be understood and played by him, but its still a system.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

swickles posted:

To be fair, Manning is a system QB. Granted its the Peyton Manning System, and can only be understood and played by him, but its still a system.
Trent Dilfer went over it in depth on nfl primetime one night soooooo

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Arschlochkind posted:

So Brian Cushing was re-signed for a 6 year deal, and part of what made it happen was some fine front office work by Rick Smith thanks in part to Andre Johnson being such a cool dude. Let's see what the fans think...

I tell you what man once Cash Kennum is starting instead of Mitch Shaub we'll win the Supper Bowl and bring the Limburger Trophy home to Hughston! Go Sextants!

I love reading your posts about the Texans and the generally terrible fans. The line between terrible and uninformed must be really thin though, because this sounds like a thing my boyfriend would say if he was pretending to talk football/ like football.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

gohuskies posted:

The Seahawks fan obsession with Kaep is getting a little weird. The "look at all the thug pictures Kaep posts and the old white guy pictures that Wilson" posts thing was weird, but now it's weirder that it's such a trend.

It's called a rivalry. You irrationally hate the other party to a bizarre and confusing degree. Also, did I mention, John Elway is a loving Nazi????

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Parmesan Basil posted:

It's called a rivalry. You irrationally hate the other party to a bizarre and confusing degree. Also, did I mention, John Elway is a loving Nazi????

John Elway probably is a Nazi tbqh

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

wtftastic posted:

I love reading your posts about the Texans and the generally terrible fans. The line between terrible and uninformed must be really thin though, because this sounds like a thing my boyfriend would say if he was pretending to talk football/ like football.

I posted about it back in April, but I think my favorite Case Keenum-related "horrible thing" is from a caller on Sports 610. This Cougars homer calls in and starts talking about how great Case is and asks when the Texans are going to give him a chance and that he should be the backup (with the clear insinuation that he also wanted him to challenge for the starter spot), basically sounding like the president of the Case Keenum Fanclub Home Branch or a blood relative... and then he asks what round Case was drafted in and HAD TO BE TOLD HE WAS A UDFA. How do you not know that if it sounds like you spank it to Keenum's U of H highlight reels? :psyduck: AND YOU WANT TO TELL AN NFL TEAM WHAT TO DO WITH THEIR PERSONNEL?

And then he said "Now the Texans have a REAL passing quarterback."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Parmesan Basil posted:

John Elway is a Nazi. On the other hand, Kaepernick probably does not hunt and kill prostitutes. Matt Ryan

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chichevache posted:

John Elway is a Nazi.[/spoiler]

Yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PFrmAMBRSQ

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Chichevache posted:

John Elway is a Nazi. On the other hand, Kaepernick probably does not hunt and kill prostitutes. Matt Ryan

You misspelled "Craig James".

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Holy Lord, Fox 26 in Houston just had an entire segment devoted to making GBS threads on Matt Schaub with local moron poo poo-stirrer Quanell X at the helm. What the gently caress.

I don't even know what to say any more.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

whypick1 posted:

You misspelled "Craig James".

They're hookers when Craig James kills them. Which he did, on 5 occasions while at SMU.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Tremendous Taste posted:

In case you were wondering this is a receiver who is top ten over the past three seasons in receptions and yards. On the loving Bills, with Trent Edwards and Ryan Fitzpatrick slinging it (not to mention Brian Brohm that one time :stonk:).

I hate Buffalo fans

Do people still hate him because he blamed god that one he dropped the sure game winner against Pittsburgh (?)

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

Do people still hate him because he blamed god that one he dropped the sure game winner against Pittsburgh (?)

I hope not because that was one of the greatest things to ever happen in the history of the NFL.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The SituAsian posted:

Yeah, apparently 5-11 would have been so much better than 4-12 or whatever

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Tremendous Taste posted:

Yeah, apparently 5-11 would have been so much better than 4-12 or whatever

Victories against the Steelers are worth way more, 'cause gently caress those guys.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

I hope not because that was one of the greatest things to ever happen in the history of the NFL.

I always find I'm the one who gets tired of jokes really fast, but this one makes me smile everytime. Also because gently caress Craig James.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Arschlochkind posted:

Holy Lord, Fox 26 in Houston just had an entire segment devoted to making GBS threads on Matt Schaub with local moron poo poo-stirrer Quanell X at the helm. What the gently caress.

I don't even know what to say any more.

Everybody in the local media is pretty much making GBS threads on Matt Schaub, even guys who are thought to have decent X's and O's perspective like Lance Zeirlein.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Just about every Texans fan I know hates Schaub, thinks he isn't clutch, etc., so I see this as them giving the readers what they want. He's by no means an elite QB, but he's far from as horrible as a lot of people make him out to be. Most of these people didn't watch the Texans for the first few years of their existence, so they have no idea how bad this team can look.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

Neil Armbong posted:

Just about every Texans fan I know hates Schaub, thinks he isn't clutch, etc., so I see this as them giving the readers what they want. He's by no means an elite QB, but he's far from as horrible as a lot of people make him out to be. Most of these people didn't watch the Texans for the first few years of their existence, so they have no idea how bad this team can look.

I hate to say it, but yeah I get a strong bandwagon vibe from a lot of the angriest people this time around, like the guy that burned the Schaub jersey in the parking lot after the game. It's as though at some point in the last couple of years a fraction of the fanbase were like "Oh hey, the Texans are finally decent guess it's time to pay attention and be a huge douche about it."

I think I made a crack somewhere in TFF about all the immaculate, brand spanking new J.J. Watt jerseys flooding the area, and I guess we're starting to hear from their owners now.

HeebHustler
Jan 16, 2007

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9772653/president-obama-washington-redskins-legitimate-concerns

This Obama/Redskins article spawned some predictable buffoonery, but I found one that stood out.

quote:

Chuck Mcd · Top Commenter · Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Does the president also think Vinny Del Negro needs to change his name because somebody might be offended? Indians have red skin..they should be proud not offended by it
Reply · 41 · · about an hour ago

HeebHustler fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 5, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Not a post per say..but going to leave this here:

http://www.amazon.com/The-War-Football-Saving-Americas/dp/1621571556

quote:

From concussion doctors pushing “science” that benefits their hidden business interests to lawyers clamoring for billion-dollar settlements in scam litigation, America’s game has become so big that everybody wants a cut. And those chasing the dollars show themselves more than willing to trash a great sport in hot pursuit of a buck.

Everything they say about football is wrong. Football players don’t commit suicide at elevated levels, die younger than their peers, or suffer disproportionately from heart disease. In fact, professional players live longer, healthier lives than American men in general.

Yeah okay.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

Not a post per say..but going to leave this here:

http://www.amazon.com/The-War-Football-Saving-Americas/dp/1621571556

Yeah okay.

Also by this author:

A Conservative History of the American Left
Intellectual Morons: How Ideology Makes Smart People Fall for Stupid Ideas
Why the Left Hates America: Exposing the Lies That Have Obscured Our Nation's Greatness
Blue Collar Intellectuals: When the Enlightened and the Everyman Elevated America
Why the Left Hates America Exposing the Lies That Have Obscured Our Nation's Greatness

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

MMQB today:

quote:

Last night, the attorney for the team, Lanny Davis, was strident to me in saying people were taking the president’s statement too far—and he’s right. “What is a sizable group?’’ he said. “In 2004, the only sampling of Native Americans [on this issue] was taken in an Annenberg Poll. Nine of 10 said they were not offended by the nickname. We respect anyone who is offended, but it is not a reason to change our name. When we sing ‘Hail to the Redskins,’ it is not an attempt to dishonor anyone.’’ I asked Davis if it was fair to characterize Snyder as resolute that he would not change the name. “I’d say the team is resolute, he is resolute, 95 percent of our fans are resolute and 90 percent of Native Americans are resolute,’’ he said. NFL owners meet in Washington Tuesday, and the Oneida Indian Nation has scheduled a symposium at the same hotel to discuss why the name “Redskins” is offensive to Native Americans.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Well there you have it. A poll of 768 people conducted a decade ago certainly clarifies the issue.

And here's how the question was asked in the poll:

“The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesn’t it bother you?

A very thorough and well conducted survey that obviously represents the opinion of native Americans.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

NC-17 posted:

Well there you have it. A poll of 768 people conducted a decade ago certainly clarifies the issue.

And here's how the question was asked in the poll:

“The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or doesn’t it bother you?

A very thorough and well conducted survey that obviously represents the opinion of native Americans.

That's a poorly worded question and has sample size problems. It's dumb.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Neil Armbong posted:

You could probably replace the name Schaub with Romo and Texans with Cowboys and not have to change any other part of this sentence.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Declan MacManus posted:

That's a poorly worded question and has sample size problems. It's dumb.

Purely as a matter of statistics, 768 samples is enough to pin down the percentage to ±2%. The sample size is fine.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't know where else to put it but: I finally understand sports fandom thanks to League of Legends.

It's as exciting as it sounds.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I didn't know where else to put it but: I finally understand sports fandom thanks to League of Legends.

It's as exciting as it sounds.

Okay? :confused:

Watching some esports stuff is pretty cool, and it's not that dissimilar for some people to being a fan of professional sports teams.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Purely as a matter of statistics, 768 samples is enough to pin down the percentage to ±2%. The sample size is fine.

The question is still dumb as poo poo. Also I am curious how they determined who was an American Indian. It said they polled people who identified as American Indian, but does that actually mean a reservation living Native, or are they also including white people who "have an Indian grandmother or something."

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Ending the question "or doesn't it bother you?" is a flaw bigger than that thing on Drew Brees' face

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

No Safe Word posted:

Watching some esports stuff is pretty cool, and it's not that dissimilar for some people to being a fan of professional sports teams.

You're literally cheering for people playing video games. It's mind-boggling to me.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

You're literally cheering for people playing video games. It's mind-boggling to me.

You'll never catch me at one of those things but it can't be that different from chess tournaments

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Video game, football game, same difference AMIRITE :smugdog:

It's worth noting that, in TYOOL 2013 the (probably) most profitable game in existence is basically a Warcraft 2 mod

Nothing has to make sense because nothing CAN make sense

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

Ending the question "or doesn't it bother you?" is a flaw bigger than that thing on Drew Brees' face

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Drew-Brees-MOLE/215362824438

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

I mean I enjoy my share of really dorky poo poo but that whole article made me want to virtually bust in there and yell "NERRRRRRDDSSS!!!" before I dump some dweebs virtual e-books.

• Locked thread