Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Stalins Moustache posted:

If you hadn't noticed, Tegan and Sara recently released a new video for their song Goodbye, Goodbye (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjgDuImuD_4). I'm not sure if it was a good choice for a single, but it could be because I just love the song Drove me Wild from their newest album. Overall I'm impressed by their transition from somewhat pop-ish indie music to almost pure pop on Heartthrob. It's such an awesome album.

I also adore "Drove Me Wild," but really, every song on Heartthrob could've been a single except maybe the last couple. Still my favorite album this year. I also got a kick out of the fact that the video was instantly dated by iOS7's interface overhaul the day before it was released. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They were playing an old Maroon 5 song ("This Love", I think) on the radio when I was out in the car this morning, which got me thinking about that band and their lead singer in particular.

Adam Levine has earned acclaim for his vocal ability. I haven't heard very many recordings of his live performances, but one that I did hear actually achieved the impossible and made "One More Night" a listenable song, enough so that I think the recognition might be merited. He sounds significantly better without Auto-Tune so I have to wonder why he used it to such an extent on "Moves Like Jagger" and their subsequent singles (though it's not a new thing, of course, since there's very noticeable use of the software in "This Love" and "She Will Be Loved", both of which are almost ten years old). I'd assume he's using it to achieve an effect (for example, like Kanye West did on 808s and Heartbreak), but I notice that since he's started bringing it front and centre, the band's had something of a renaissance after a few years in the adult contemporary wilderness.

Are excessively Auto-Tuned vocals what people want to hear? I'm also put in mind of Michael Bublé, of all people. He can sing fine without Auto-Tune and, as far as I can tell, he doesn't use it when he covers standards. However, his pop singles ("Haven't Met You Yet", the lead single from his most recent album, the song he did with Bryan Adams and so on) all feature more noticeable use of the technology, which might suggest that he (or maybe the producers) felt it was necessary to make the songs into hits.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
What's some stuff similar to Lorde? I can hear some light trip-hop influence, some electropop, but since I haven't listened to music like this in forever I'm not sure where to start. I love sparse arrangements with prominent vocals, if that's any help.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

They were playing an old Maroon 5 song ("This Love", I think) on the radio when I was out in the car this morning, which got me thinking about that band and their lead singer in particular.

Adam Levine has earned acclaim for his vocal ability. I haven't heard very many recordings of his live performances, but one that I did hear actually achieved the impossible and made "One More Night" a listenable song, enough so that I think the recognition might be merited. He sounds significantly better without Auto-Tune so I have to wonder why he used it to such an extent on "Moves Like Jagger" and their subsequent singles (though it's not a new thing, of course, since there's very noticeable use of the software in "This Love" and "She Will Be Loved", both of which are almost ten years old). I'd assume he's using it to achieve an effect (for example, like Kanye West did on 808s and Heartbreak), but I notice that since he's started bringing it front and centre, the band's had something of a renaissance after a few years in the adult contemporary wilderness.

Are excessively Auto-Tuned vocals what people want to hear? I'm also put in mind of Michael Bublé, of all people. He can sing fine without Auto-Tune and, as far as I can tell, he doesn't use it when he covers standards. However, his pop singles ("Haven't Met You Yet", the lead single from his most recent album, the song he did with Bryan Adams and so on) all feature more noticeable use of the technology, which might suggest that he (or maybe the producers) felt it was necessary to make the songs into hits.

I've also wondered why in the hell he's always Auto-Tuned to all hell. I have said over and over, loudly, that I hate Adam Levine and think he's got an awful voice, but I can acknowledge that he sounds good on "Sunday Morning." What in the hell happened after that? Is there really a huge demand for how he sounds on "Payphone" vs. "Sunday Morning"?

I also notice that his lyrics within the past decade seem to be growing more focused on complaining about his miserable relationships while also humblebragging about how much tail he gets.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

We have the cover now

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

We have the cover now

Lady Gaga is
MIA in
ARTPOP

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

The Gasmask posted:

What's some stuff similar to Lorde? I can hear some light trip-hop influence, some electropop, but since I haven't listened to music like this in forever I'm not sure where to start. I love sparse arrangements with prominent vocals, if that's any help.

Lorde is basically an inferior Jessie Ware, so check some of her stuff out. Wildest Moments is probably her best song.

nyquil hangover fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 8, 2013

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

nyquil hangover posted:

Lorde is basically an inferior Jessie Ware

Don't make me care post man.

edit: I only just realised the third interpretation of 'that kinda lux just ain't for us' to go along with Pure Heroine's own triple entendre. :allears:

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 8, 2013

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
God Sky Ferriera is awesome. I loved the Ghost EP she dropped at the beginning of the year, and based on You're Not the One, she's absolutely picked the best path to travel down from it.

mogran
Jun 25, 2011
I'm embarrassed about how long it took me to realize Miley was simply beginning the Be-Weirder-Than-Gaga-Or-Bust part of her career. I saw her on Fallon tonight and she was quite impressive. I think whoever she got to help her re-brand nailed it (particularly the album cover for some reason). As far as the game goes I think she's got more to offer than Gaga. If only because Miley didn't start out like Gaga did. With her album's worldwide success I say the switch from Disney sweetheart to whatever she is now was executed rather perfectly.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

mogran posted:

I'm embarrassed about how long it took me to realize Miley was simply beginning the Be-Weirder-Than-Gaga-Or-Bust part of her career. I saw her on Fallon tonight and she was quite impressive. I think whoever she got to help her re-brand nailed it (particularly the album cover for some reason). As far as the game goes I think she's got more to offer than Gaga. If only because Miley didn't start out like Gaga did. With her album's worldwide success I say the switch from Disney sweetheart to whatever she is now was executed rather perfectly.

Ehhhhh......that's a bit of a stretch. Gaga is a better singer, dancer, songwriter, and musician. Bangerz is a pretty decent pop record, but it has a ton of filler. I love wrecking ball though.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

mogran posted:

With her album's worldwide success I say the switch from Disney sweetheart to whatever she is now was executed rather perfectly.

It's just come out hasn't it? I can't find any sales figures yet. Also "Bangerz" is the worst album title i've ever heard.

e: well it is doing well on iTunes

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 9, 2013

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Honestly I think Miley's image is hurting her career, rather than helping it. There are some great songs on Bangerz but her image seems very forced/contrived, plus it really alienates some people who might otherwise enjoy her music.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Yoshifan823 posted:

God Sky Ferriera is awesome. I loved the Ghost EP she dropped at the beginning of the year, and based on You're Not the One, she's absolutely picked the best path to travel down from it.
Yeah I love this new song, her album's out soon and on the strength of what I've heard from her so far it should be excellent.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
This is the funniest loving thing
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/9/4820178/samsung-doesnt-understand-lordes-royals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nwuk90Gc2A

Samsung's description of their Royals ad posted:

Told from a child's perspective, "The Developer" is a musical short film by Samsung featuring Lionel Messi and the hit single "Royals" by Lorde.

A mysterious stranger arrives in a low income neighborhood and captures the imaginations of the children who live there. He is "The Developer" and the children view him with a deep suspicion.

Together with his Samsung GALAXY Note 3 and GALAXY Gear, the Developer effortlessly masterminds a secret construction project. Using the latest in Samsung technology including Action Memo, Pen Window, Scrapbook and hands-free call capability on the Gear, the Developer orchestrates and executes his mysterious mission.

The children watch in awe. They reflect on their current situation by singing Lorde's breakout hit "Royals," a song about overcoming her own humble beginnings.

The spot concludes with a beautiful new pitch that has been constructed in the toughest part of town. The Developer is revealed to be the world's reigning football star, Lionel Messi, fulfilling his personal mission to help under privileged children.

The events in this story are a dramatic retelling of actual projects completed by the Messi Foundation. The film was directed by Adam Hashemi.

The Verge article is a little stupid about the story but Samsung use of this song is really really dumb

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

het posted:

This is the funniest loving thing
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/9/4820178/samsung-doesnt-understand-lordes-royals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nwuk90Gc2A

The Verge article is a little stupid about the story but Samsung use of this song is really really dumb

I made it as far as the little boy starting to sing and had to turn it off. Hopefully Samsung paid her shitloads of money :unsmith:

People should watch this instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SE5dma2cak

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nyquil hangover posted:

Honestly I think Miley's image is hurting her career, rather than helping it. There are some great songs on Bangerz but her image seems very forced/contrived, plus it really alienates some people who might otherwise enjoy her music.

Going back to this for a moment, does anybody have any thoughts on the childish feud going on (or perhaps it's blown over; I haven't paid a lot of attention) between Miley Cyrus and Sinead O'Connor?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Metal Loaf posted:

Going back to this for a moment, does anybody have any thoughts on the childish feud going on (or perhaps it's blown over; I haven't paid a lot of attention) between Miley Cyrus and Sinead O'Connor?
Nothing to say really other than that it's embarrassing for everyone involved

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Metal Loaf posted:

I was on Sinead's side until she kept going.....and going.....and going....

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Personally, I think Miley lost that battle when she belittled mentally ill people. That was just not on.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

What's this about?

Oh, and if you haven't seen it, Miley was on Fallon recently, and performed an acapella cover of We Can't Stop with The Roots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mjvfnUAfyo

B-Side
Dec 30, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

Paperhouse posted:

Yeah I love this new song, her album's out soon and on the strength of what I've heard from her so far it should be excellent.

You're Not the One is amazing - feels like a Twin Shadow song. Really excited to hear the rest of the album - hopefully it continues to follow this road.

The cover for the album was released today - it's NSFW

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

AndyP posted:

What's this about?

Oh, and if you haven't seen it, Miley was on Fallon recently, and performed an acapella cover of We Can't Stop with The Roots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mjvfnUAfyo

Something I'm curious about. Does her voice naturally sound autotuned to hell, or did they just autotune the hell out of her bits for the show? I remember Fallon saying something about her nailing her take on the first try...because she coulda just monotoned it and relied on autotune?

However, I do absolutely love the poo poo out of Bangerz as an album, Wrecking Ball in partuclar.

...if only for the Nic Cage version of the video.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 11, 2013

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Janelle Monae is going to be the musical guest on Saturday Night Live next week. Maybe she'll finally get some mainstream exposure? Lord knows she deserves it.

edit: I'm an idiot, it's the week after next

nyquil hangover fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 13, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

Something I'm curious about. Does her voice naturally sound autotuned to hell, or did they just autotune the hell out of her bits for the show? I remember Fallon saying something about her nailing her take on the first try...because she coulda just monotoned it and relied on autotune?

Or she's been doing this for like ten years and she can just hit the right notes every time?

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

The Gasmask posted:

I think you'd really like Lykke Li.

I've been a secret lover of Miley's voice for awhile, I just usually don't like what she does with it. Her cover of Jolene opened my eyes a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwblaKmyVw

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 13, 2013

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
post is not edit, my bad.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mondlicht posted:

I've been a secret lover of Miley's voice for awhile, I just usually don't like what she does with it. Her cover of Jolene opened my eyes a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwblaKmyVw

She really sounds great when she uses that twang that's so natural in her voice. I like We Can't Stop and plenty of the songs on Bangerz, but I wouldn't mind her dropping all of the trappings and putting out an album that sounds like this.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Mondlicht posted:

I think you'd really like Lykke Li.

Thank you for this.

Because thanks to this, I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFZsunzjDXU

...seriously, this is better than Buckley's version of the song. Like, easily on par with Simone's version of the song.

drat, girl can sing way way better than her pappy can. (And I say that as someone who shamelessly owns a copy of Some Gave All that makes its rotation into my car stereo at least once a month).

Pop music really is fantastic these days in a way that we haven't seen since the 80's. Bangerz is a fantastic album, the 20/20 Experience is knock-your-socks off good, Lana Del Ray's terrible SNL performance aside has a fantastic album out, Britney's new album is pretty drat good, and I'm suddenly blasting songs from people that once were prodigies of the Mouse with 0 fucks being given.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 14, 2013

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thank you for this.

Because thanks to this, I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFZsunzjDXU

...seriously, this is better than Buckley's version of the song. Like, easily on par with Simone's version of the song.

drat, girl can sing way way better than her pappy can. (And I say that as someone who shamelessly owns a copy of Some Gave All that makes its rotation into my car stereo at least once a month).

Pop music really is fantastic these days in a way that we haven't seen since the 80's. Bangerz is a fantastic album, the 20/20 Experience is knock-your-socks off good, Lana Del Ray's terrible SNL performance aside has a fantastic album out, Britney's new album is pretty drat good, and I'm suddenly blasting songs from people that once were prodigies of the Mouse with 0 fucks being given.

I'm impressed at how this particular round of Disney-spawn is playing out. Miley is just bein' Miley in a way that they never expected, Selena starred in one of the best movies of the year and her new singles are both catchy as gently caress, and Ariana Grande apparently stole the souls of every R&B lady singer from the mid- to late-ninties and used it to release songs that are as good or better than they ever could make.

And then we've got Artpop to look forward to, and Katy Perry is usually good for three or four singles per album (and with Roar being underwhelming and Walking on Air being better, I'm hoping there's a trend).

Hell, I even kinda like Bieber's new song. I really like how it sounds like a supervillain song, particularly the last minute or so.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Pitchfork has a stream of M0's album

http://pitchfork.com/advance/259-bikini-daze/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mondlicht posted:

Oh Lordy, her voice is so sexy.

I am also going to warn you that the people behind Friday made another song.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~

The MSJ posted:

I am also going to warn you that the people behind Friday made another song.

I unironically love this. The song is awful (obviously) but there's an element of self-awareness that Friday didn't have, it's almost kind of legitimately funny (the panda part made me laugh)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Don't forget the casual racism.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I liked Friday and I like that as well, like with Friday there's a very catchy and likable pop song underneath all the silliness

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It's not as utterly horrible as Friday musically, and she's clearly having fun. It feels way less forced, they're clearly aware of the stupidity going on. I'd probably watch the video again, if nothing else. I smiled.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am surprised that 7 days till it's out, Katy Perry has not leaked. I was hoping we would get an iTunes early listen before next Tuesday.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

From her various hints, Prism might be subtly marking Katy's transition back to more overtly Christian Katy Hudson music. Any day now she'll pull an ICP and reveal that her whole pop personae were just devices to bring the heathen unbelievers back to the Lord(e).

Metal Loaf posted:

What's the quality of her live vocals like these days? Ever since I first saw this video, I don't think I've ever quite been able to give her a completely fair shake (I guess it was a little out of her range).

I take a perverse interest in her vocals--it's either like watching a drowning cat occasionally come up for air, or like following that losing sports team that makes everything more exciting when they actually manage to score. iHeartRadio was lousy, but the iTunes Festival was surprisingly good on the Katy scale; no AutoTune but lots of reverb.

Only Katy could create a song like this without a trace of irony, get on the stage on that dress, and just totally commit to it--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_dgDgoua0

This is vastly better than the digitally smashed studio version; people don't like her Alanis Morissette warbles, but gently caress it, it's real, sort of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFV2nw7IcsE

No idea how she's going to pull off all the high notes on those new Prism tracks, but I guess "Walking on Air" on SNL was somewhat convincing, even with the playbacked chorus.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So far this is great and absolutely nothing like Teenage Dream. Legendary Lover gives me chills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

The Gasmask posted:

Lana Del Rey--"Tennis Court" in particular sounds quite a bit like "Born to Die."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP6qdC9IkEM

Also, Lana absolutely owns live; I don't know how many years it is going to take for the American press to admit they were wrong about her.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 17, 2013