Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
I love that I got like 4 answers to the dilemma, and they are all different, yet valid ways to do it. This game is ridiculous with content!

Thanks so much for the reponses, all, I think I'm going to try each method tonight just for the hell of it! First up I need to build a house for my Dryad since I already killed Eye of Cthulu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

Sloober posted:

But the takeaway from this is that explosives can solve your problems about 98% of the time.
Find a bomb statue or three, save the mechanic, craft a one second timer, hook it up, sit in front of the statue overnight, exterminate the Crimson. :allears:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Angry Diplomat posted:

Why is it important to get the trophies anyway, they don't do anything :confused:

We're building a trophy room, obviously.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I'm wearing a bee suit with yellow goggles, whenever I get hit bees come out, my sword makes people bleed bees, I have a gun that shoots swarms of bees and grenades which explode into clouds of bees.

BEES

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mental Midget posted:

I love that I got like 4 answers to the dilemma, and they are all different, yet valid ways to do it. This game is ridiculous with content!

Thanks so much for the reponses, all, I think I'm going to try each method tonight just for the hell of it! First up I need to build a house for my Dryad since I already killed Eye of Cthulu.

A little side note: if you use explosives you can pick up all the crimstone blocks that drop and use them to build stuff, but if you place too many, you can accidentally create an artifical crimson biome and get lots of horrible fleshmonsters spawning, which makes the NPCs not want to move in.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Death Himself posted:

I'm wearing a bee suit with yellow goggles, whenever I get hit bees come out, my sword makes people bleed bees, I have a gun that shoots swarms of bees and grenades which explode into clouds of bees.

BEES

The friend I play co-op games with did something similar for a while. This is his house:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

How do you guys handle raiding resource-worlds without getting your pack full? Do you just make a basecamp anyway, set up 3 houses for an auto-summon of Guide/Nurse/Merchant, and sell whatever you need, or what?

For example, I'm decked out in pre-1.2 hardmode gear, trying to explore, and trying to raid Hell while I re-enable hard mode (my friend was hosting our old stash world and he managed to lose/corrupt the file). All the new obsidian paintings and furniture are awesome, even though I'd probably not use them since Skyware is so swank. Even when I'm not compulsively stealing everything, and especially in hardmode, I can't help my pack filling up stupidly fast with Souls, Crystals, ore, what-have-you. I'm also constantly trashing items. I need to farm normal mode Jungles for Bezoars anyway, and I'm kind of like, ugh, I don't want to deal with the inevitable piles of random crap while I explore the jungle to kill hornets. Maybe I really should just make a lava farming hornet trap and AFK.

I wish there was a never-pick-up window where I could put some things I never want to loot, like Ash Blocks and Snow and Ice and stuff.

Also, Voodoo Demons seem to spawn far less frequently. I've hunted in hell on various worlds for a few hours since 1.2 and I have never seen multiple voodoo demons, and I've only gotten 2 dolls to kill the WoF twice (I want my Avenger emblem dammit). In 1.1, I had a huge stash of like a dozen voodoo dolls, most of which I collected in a couple of hours of just exploring hell for hardmode ore. Was this actually changed, or have I just had strange luck??

vvv I already do that :( I guess I just want more convenience or something, I don't even know what I'm asking. Need more time to Terraria, less time spent working.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 8, 2013

President Ark
May 16, 2010

S.T.C.A. posted:

How do you guys handle raiding resource-worlds without getting your pack full? Do you just make a basecamp anyway, set up 3 houses for an auto-summon of Guide/Nurse/Merchant, and sell whatever you need, or what?

For example, I'm decked out in pre-1.2 hardmode gear, trying to explore, and trying to raid Hell while I re-enable hard mode (my friend was hosting our old stash world and he managed to lose/corrupt the file). All the new obsidian paintings and furniture are awesome, even though I'd probably not use them since Skyware is so swank. Even when I'm not compulsively stealing everything, and especially in hardmode, I can't help my pack filling up stupidly fast with Souls, Crystals, ore, what-have-you.

Bring a piggy bank and a safe with you. Their inventory is per-character and saves across different worlds. :eng101:

e: If you're wearing hardmode gear you can probably leave all your weapons bar one or two at home for more inventory space.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Vatek posted:

No it doesn't. You can use bombs or dynamite to blast through ebonstone and break shadow orbs.

Yes I know, I said that exact thing like four posts up. I was replying to someone who said that you could use Demonite from the Eye to make a pick that would let you get to the Brain, which is incorrect.

Death Himself posted:

BEES

Sup fellow Bee Wizard. I've been rocking the bee hat and pants but the Queen Bee won't drop the shirt, so I might just make a topaz robe to tie it all together. Also, beenades are goddamn insane holy poo poo, a dozen of them will shred Skeletron like a frigging buzzsaw

e: I am big into glowing mushrooms right now though. My house is a giant glowing mushroom in the middle of a glowing mushroom forest and it looks awesome and the music is seriously the best thing ever. I wish there was a suit of armour you could make out of glowing mushrooms before Hardmode. Does the Shroomite armour look really mushroomy, at least? If it does I'm gonna make a set for my social slot so I can be a Mushroomancer.

vvv I've never gotten one :( Although I guess I could dye my Eskimo coat yellow. That would look pretty neat. vvv

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 8, 2013

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Sup fellow Bee Wizard. I've been rocking the bee hat and pants but the Queen Bee won't drop the shirt, so I might just make a topaz robe to tie it all together.

Poncho from the zombies during rainstorms. :eng101:

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Fewd posted:

I finally got my tree reworked into something that might theoretically not have every npc murdered during every hardmode event. Probably.

Now I can finally do WoF :confuoot:

Aaand now I feel supremely inadequate. Thanks a lot!

Seriously, I love this game simply for some of the awesome designs you see out of it. Keep it up, this is awesome.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I keep seeing screenshots of people in the Spectre Armor set (I think) with what looks like a little skull ghost floating over their heads. What is that? I guess it's not a pet, but I can't figure it out. It doesn't seem to be a result of the Spectre Armor set bonus, which seems to be entirely stat-based. Can anyone tell me what that little dude is? Cause I want one.

edit: Just to clarify, it's definitely not the baby Skeletron head. It's like... a little cartoon skull surrounded by a blue flame.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fortis posted:

I keep seeing screenshots of people in the Spectre Armor set (I think) with what looks like a little skull ghost floating over their heads. What is that? I guess it's not a pet, but I can't figure it out. It doesn't seem to be a result of the Spectre Armor set bonus, which seems to be entirely stat-based. Can anyone tell me what that little dude is? Cause I want one.

edit: Just to clarify, it's definitely not the baby Skeletron head. It's like... a little cartoon skull surrounded by a blue flame.

Maybe it's this?

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Wisp_in_a_Bottle

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Ahh, that's it, thanks! So many reasons to farm the dungeon in 1.2, I love it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It is seriously the best light follower. Bright, after a couple seconds moving in a single direction it'll move ahead of you (other followers have trouble keeping up!), and it spins so adorably. :3:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Is it possible to AFK farm the hardmode dungeon? or will there be something that will demolish me before pygmies can kill it / spiked traps kill it?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Dizz posted:

Is it possible to AFK farm the hardmode dungeon? or will there be something that will demolish me before pygmies can kill it / spiked traps kill it?

Don't the casters shoot through walls? You'd need to make it so they have nowhere to spawn on on your screen, except where the traps are. Even then they might get a few hits in. Maybe if you had the vampire knives and a large open space you could just let your guy stand there and have something hold down m1

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Sage Grimm posted:

It is seriously the best light follower. Bright, after a couple seconds moving in a single direction it'll move ahead of you (other followers have trouble keeping up!), and it spins so adorably. :3:

The one thing I don't like about the Wisp is that he hangs out above your head when standing still and is quite loving fast about returning there. This doesn't sound like an issue, but he basically spreads light to nothing if he's sitting inside a wall or ceiling, making him a bit obnoxious for digging.

I really just wish he would have the same behaviors but hang out in the exact same space as your character when idle, rather than above the head.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
I don't know how strong Pygmies are but you have to watch out for all of these motherfuckers.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The short answer is 'probably not'. There's a lot of dangerous enemies in the dungeon.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Shadowbeam Staff, Spectre Armor, and whatever accessories you have that boost magical damage seem to be a good way to farm enemies in Hardmode Dungeon. Of course, I got lucky with my Shadowbeam drop but hey that's how I'm farming the Dungeon.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

President Ark posted:

When the game first came out he didn't have the check-what-this-thing-is-used-to-craft function and had a tendency to leave doors open so your other NPCs/you got eaten by zombies.
I think his actual advice in the option for that has been massively improved, too. It used to be basically one of those Tip Of The Day things programs used to have when you launched them. Now I think he gives you some actual starting advice and tells you things based on what you've done already.

Thanks to NPCs wandering around even at night at launch, I now always put my NPC housing above ground level, with no external facing doors.

rodney mullenkamp posted:

You can counter this by dumping hallowed sand around. With enough Pearlsand hidden in the walls, you can even build working houses in the heart of a crimson pit.
Speaking of which, there seems to be some sort of critical mass for anything but corrupt/hallow grass to spread. I dropped some crimstone, and later crimsand, in a desert in my world to try and get some dark mummies, and it hasn't spread at all. Nor has the single block of pearlstone I stuck to some normal stone outside the desert to keep it from spreading too far.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

AFK-farming the hardmode dungeon might work if not for Diabolists. They can fire heavy AoE-DoT damage bolts through walls and teleport every time they take damage. They can fire from offscreen as well. Unless you really take the time to set up an area where you can be safe without any valid spots for the diabolists to fire at you anywhere nearby you'll probably just get splattered.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

President Ark posted:

AFK-farming the hardmode dungeon might work if not for Diabolists. They can fire heavy AoE-DoT damage bolts through walls and teleport every time they take damage. They can fire from offscreen as well. Unless you really take the time to set up an area where you can be safe without any valid spots for the diabolists to fire at you anywhere nearby you'll probably just get splattered.
I think this would require making it so there's literally nowhere for them to stand. Which would make getting other things in to be killed tricky.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I made a little nook in the floor, made it rain from the staff that makes two clouds, and then BANANARANG'd or Dao of Pow'd anything that decided to fall in. I'd stay above ground but for the Necromancers, the guys with RPGs, Bone Lee, and Paladins. Made for a very boring couple hours but it got me my Spectre armor and the little guy.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Maybe if you set up enough 1-second traps that the teleporting casters would instantly teleport until they got into your killzone...
Or maybe you could setup enough jungle temple traps to kill everything, then check back every hour to pick up loot.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Zereth posted:

Speaking of which, there seems to be some sort of critical mass for anything but corrupt/hallow grass to spread. I dropped some crimstone, and later crimsand, in a desert in my world to try and get some dark mummies, and it hasn't spread at all. Nor has the single block of pearlstone I stuck to some normal stone outside the desert to keep it from spreading too far.

Try planting dirt blocks and seeding it with corrupt/hallow seeds. Not what you were looking for perfectly but it should accomplish your end goal there.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 8, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

I know what enemies show up in the hardmode dungeon depends on what flags are there, does getting rid of all of the Diabolist flags cause them to stop spawning or is that just decided on worldgen and the flags are there to tell you so?

If nothing else I suppose you just keep making worlds until you make one that HAS no Diabolist flags so you can be free to not be shot through walls while letting things fall into your death pit.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
A big flat, empty room with tall ceilings and a spiky ball trap on every available ceiling tile hooked up to 1s timer. Nothing will live, ever.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Matrim posted:

A big flat, empty room with tall ceilings and a spiky ball trap on every available ceiling tile hooked up to 1s timer. Nothing will live, ever.

I was gonna say, or just lining the floor with a thin layer of lava, wouldn't that work too (assuming you have lava waders to run through to collect the loot)?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Matrim posted:

Including you.

I'm now doing a redesign of my initial 1.2 house, moving it well above ground and out of reach of eclipse/bloodmoon/whatever. Of course, as I finish roughing out the walls, an eclipse happens. Three dead NPCs later, at least I have a single broken hero blade (Which I'll probably never use...)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Fewd posted:

I finally got my tree reworked into something that might theoretically not have every npc murdered during every hardmode event. Probably.

Looks good, nice touch on the guide :v:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Jackard posted:

Looks good, nice touch on the guide :v:

Lol, especially the one chair that's just facing a wall :allears:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Note that digging really close to it below 0 feet may cause the Guardian to go schizo and murder you without warning.
There's really nothing quite like exploring a horizontal shaft in the Corruption and suddenly being greeted by the "BWOOOORGH" of a boss summon, promptly followed by your giblets being slapped across the area by a giant supersonic skull erupting out of the ground.

Ssthalar posted:

Stems back to when the game came out.
The guide would happily wander around, even during blood moons, and would be most graciously and open the door for all the monsters outside all the time.
If you dig around and find the Dev LP from extremely early prerelease versions of Terraria, even Red himself couldn't stand the guy after a while. The slime spawns were also completely out of control.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zereth posted:

Is it a hardmode world? :v: I'm sorry, that's just the basic "Is it plugged in?" question, I'm planning on seeding pearlstone around my base in the world I'm gearing up for hardmode in, so it'll start spreading once I kill the Wall.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This update loves mages so much. Was mainly melee with a bit of ranged before, now it's all mage, all the time. Dungeon is just full of wonderful presents.

Golem killed, with minimum cheapness (well, the first couple of times). Just a lot of piss and mana potions. Then I remembered that accessory that auto-chugs mana potions.

And now the temple is all set up for Golem farming. Takes a short time to get to the temple from the spawn point, most of the traps between the entrance and the Golem are gone, I've put a crystal ball down there, and set up a couple of cactus boxes to keep him under control. Now I just need a load of power cells because he hasn't dropped the Picksaw yet and I've run out. Think I'll look into cheesing my way into some other temples for that though. Saying that, I do still need to beat up Plantera a few more times for fabulous prizes.

Can you still teleport your way through the temple door?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dareon posted:

Is it a hardmode world? :v: I'm sorry, that's just the basic "Is it plugged in?" question, I'm planning on seeding pearlstone around my base in the world I'm gearing up for hardmode in, so it'll start spreading once I kill the Wall.

Yes it is.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
If I'm going to farm for biome keys, Do I have to go way deep for a chance of it dropping? or can I just sit at the top and kill stuff there?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Dizz posted:

If I'm going to farm for biome keys, Do I have to go way deep for a chance of it dropping? or can I just sit at the top and kill stuff there?

You just have to be in the biome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

McDragon posted:

Can you still teleport your way through the temple door?

Should be possible, I did it yesterday just to see what was inside.

• Locked thread