Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Tried a last word last night, and it tasted just like an aviation, which pretty much just tasted like marashino. Is there a way to make it not overpower any other ingredients in a drink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Whalley posted:

2oz Rittenhouse Rye, 1oz grapefruit juice, 1/2oz maple agave. Stir, strain over ice, it's a Breakfast Sour.

e: Actually, replace the grapefruit juice with a Rauchbier; the easiest to find in America is the Rogue Bacon Donut beer in the giant pink fuckin' bottle. It has a 50/50 chance of being amazing or horrific.

I can't get Rittenhouse in Ontario (All the LCBO's around me sold out). Is this an acceptable substitue? http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=337600

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

bunnyofdoom posted:

I can't get Rittenhouse in Ontario (All the LCBO's around me sold out). Is this an acceptable substitue? http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?language=EN&itemNumber=337600

As a white dog whiskey, it seems very unlikely as it will lack any of the interesting characteristics that come from aging in wood.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Tried a last word last night, and it tasted just like an aviation, which pretty much just tasted like marashino. Is there a way to make it not overpower any other ingredients in a drink?

You had a poorly-made Last Word.

edit: Don't drink white dog.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

No, white dog is pretty awful.

Kenning posted:

You had a poorly-made Last Word.

edit: Don't drink white dog.

Strange, every other drink I have had at that bar was delicious. Only drinks that haven't been fantastic are ones with maraschino. Are there lots of other good uses for green chartruse to make it worth getting a bottle?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Well then, time to find some cheap aged rye

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

bunnyofdoom posted:

Can you find Old Overholt?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Alberta Premium is the only Canadian 100% Rye. It's also dirt cheap. Not sure if you can get it outside of Alberta though.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Demon_Corsair posted:

No, white dog is pretty awful.

Strange, every other drink I have had at that bar was delicious. Only drinks that haven't been fantastic are ones with maraschino. Are there lots of other good uses for green chartruse to make it worth getting a bottle?

It's pretty loving delicious on its own.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Alberta Premium is the only Canadian 100% Rye. It's also dirt cheap. Not sure if you can get it outside of Alberta though.

If you can find some, grab the Dark Horse from Alberta Premium, it's loving fantastic. Higher alcohol volume at 45% (not as high as rittenhouse, but it's closer at least) with a big, dark, rich, well rounded body to it. Aged in heavily charred barrels, we've probably sold a couple of bottles of it and drank the rest of the case we had. Makes great whisky cocktails.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Side car with rye whiskey instead of bourbon: good idea or bad idea?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Cognac is the traditional spirit for a sidecar, but if you like it with bourbon, go hog wild on the rye. You may want to sweeten it a bit with more Cointreau, but it's a drat fine daisy either way.

A daisy is a sour made with triple sec, which is how the margarita came to life. It's a pretty small taxonomy in cocktails.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Anyone have any recipes designed specifically for Sotol? I have been replacing tequila with it in traditional recipes with interesting results. I'm curious to know if anyone else has had good results using it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Vegetable Melange posted:

Cognac is the traditional spirit for a sidecar, but if you like it with bourbon, go hog wild on the rye. You may want to sweeten it a bit with more Cointreau, but it's a drat fine daisy either way.

A daisy is a sour made with triple sec, which is how the margarita came to life. It's a pretty small taxonomy in cocktails.

I tried to make this point with Drink and Fight and she almost Drank and Fought me over it.

Demon_Corsair posted:

I mean, you may not like maraschino. Which I guess is fine. I always like to have Chartreuse on hand because there are a number of recipes that call for it (not as many as call for orange liqueur or maraschino, but definitely a fair few), and there's no way to substitute for it. A bottle lasts a long time too. I use it fairly liberally when possible, since I love the stuff, and my bottle lasted for like 2 years.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

nrr posted:

If you can find some, grab the Dark Horse from Alberta Premium, it's loving fantastic. Higher alcohol volume at 45% (not as high as rittenhouse, but it's closer at least) with a big, dark, rich, well rounded body to it. Aged in heavily charred barrels, we've probably sold a couple of bottles of it and drank the rest of the case we had. Makes great whisky cocktails.

I have seen it around, but it doesn't list whats in it, so I was worried it was another "canadian rye whiskey" which have little to no rye in them.

And I want to like marashino, so far I find it just completely overpowers anything else in the drink.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
At some strip mall liquor store today I found a dusty 375 ml bottle of Chartreuse for $13, so I immediately snagged it. Got it home, took a swig of it, and then I noticed a bunch of tiny particles held in suspension in the liquid. What is this?

It didn't taste or smell off, but I'm just curious.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Have fun with growing baby flies in your intestines dude

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

I have seen it around, but it doesn't list whats in it, so I was worried it was another "canadian rye whiskey" which have little to no rye in them.
What?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Most Canadian whiskey is almost entirely rye-free, despite largely referring to itself as rye whiskey.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Unlike the strict Rye and bourbon regulations in the states, Canada has no such rules when it comes to "Canadian Rye whiskey" you can have as little Rye mash as you feel like and still call it Rye.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

bolo yeung posted:

At some strip mall liquor store today I found a dusty 375 ml bottle of Chartreuse for $13, so I immediately snagged it. Got it home, took a swig of it, and then I noticed a bunch of tiny particles held in suspension in the liquid. What is this?

It didn't taste or smell off, but I'm just curious.

It's probably just old. I had a bottle of chartreuse for a number of years and kept it in the freezer. Eventually it started to have little dark green particles floating in it. Still tasted perfectly fine.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
You know how cheese develops flavor crystals after a while? It's like that.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I recently moved away from my beautifully stocked bar so now all I have a gigantic bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon, Ardbeg 10, Hendricks, and half a bottle of Grant's.

Any cocktail ideas with what I've got? I want to pick up another few bottles, but have to spread it over time. Everything is extortionately expensive here, and the selection is awful. I guess that's what happens when there are only 3 liquor stores in the entire country. Bollocks.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Angor, personally I would recommend getting a bottle of Red Vermouth and making manhattan's, but then again that is my favourite cocktail.

Anyways, I found a half full bottle of lime cordial in my liquor cabinet today, and I wanna make a chandler gimlet (1:1 gin to cordial). Now, do I use my regular copper still gin, my tanqueray rangpur, my Bombay Sapphire East, or my Unfiltered gin.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Klauser posted:

Some great suggestions so far. All I really have to add that is simple and fits your requirements:

Green Ghost - 2oz gin, .5oz green Chartreuse, .5oz lime juice. Shake/coupe

I had no spare lime so I substituted a lemon. It's pretty great on a hot afternoon. Looking forward to trying the other recipes.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

Unlike the strict Rye and bourbon regulations in the states, Canada has no such rules when it comes to "Canadian Rye whiskey" you can have as little Rye mash as you feel like and still call it Rye.

Right, sorry I was half what?-ing about that and half that it doesn't have anything on the bottle. I had heard about the "Canadian Rye" thing, but I'd actually forgotten about it. The dark horse, like the regular Alberta Premium is 100% rye. To get a bit more specific than my other post, he dark horse is a blend of their regular rye and a rye that has been aged in super charred barrels. It does mention on the label that it is a 100% rye whisky but it is hidden in the description on the back.

Alberta pure also ship their rye to quite a few distilleries in the states (who wish to remain nameless) where it can end up either being practically rebottled, or being used as the base for other "rye" whiskeys. The US does have regulations, but they only state that something has to be 51% rye to be classed as a rye whiskey, so if you are after a 100% rye, it's always best to make sure instead of just assuming.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

bunnyofdoom posted:

Angor, personally I would recommend getting a bottle of Red Vermouth and making manhattan's, but then again that is my favourite cocktail.

Anyways, I found a half full bottle of lime cordial in my liquor cabinet today, and I wanna make a chandler gimlet (1:1 gin to cordial). Now, do I use my regular copper still gin, my tanqueray rangpur, my Bombay Sapphire East, or my Unfiltered gin.

This is a great idea. I think a bottle of sweet vermouth and bitters is next on the list. Thanks!

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
I finally tried a Jack Rose and The Last Word tonight (made them both at home).

The Jack Rose was nice, but the lime really overpowered the apple brandy (used Laird's bonded). I might play around with the ratios a bit. Any suggestions? The recipe I followed was:

2 oz. apple brandy/jack
1 oz. lime juice
.5 oz. grenadine (homemade)

The Last Word was a revelation. What a perfect drink.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Goddamn, I forgot about Last Words. I'm so mad at you right now for reminding me right when all the liquor stores here are closed. They're amazing.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

bolo yeung posted:

I finally tried a Jack Rose and The Last Word tonight (made them both at home).

The Jack Rose was nice, but the lime really overpowered the apple brandy (used Laird's bonded). I might play around with the ratios a bit. Any suggestions? The recipe I followed was:

2 oz. apple brandy/jack
1 oz. lime juice
.5 oz. grenadine (homemade)

2, 3/4, 3/4. I go by Sasha's recipe, think it balances better.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Went to the liquor store today. Got a bottle of Bombay Sapphire, Rittenhouse Rye, Captain Morgan 100 Proof, Evan Williams Single Barrel,Espolon Tequila, Cointreau, and Noily Prat Rouge. Going to make more simple syrup, get some limes, lemons and oranges, and have a goddamn cocktail orgy over the next week.

Tonight's cocktail: The Martinez. I've read different recipes for this with different ratios of gin to vermouth. Here's what I ended up using:

2 parts gin
3/4 part vermouth
2 splashes Cointreau
2 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir with ice, pour

Holy poo poo why doesn't this cocktail get more love? I like a martini every now and then but flavor profile wise, this pretty much blows a martini out of the water and showcases that it's important to buy a decent goddamn vermouth. The first sip was an explosion of flavors in my mouth. Oranges, juniper, cloves, lemons and something of just an herbal "blend." It's a much bigger taste than a martini. If a martini is a subdued and tasteful black and white photograph, a martinez is an Andy Warhol painting of six Elvises at once. Big, lingering flavor finish which is always appreciated in a cocktail.

If you haven't had a martinez yet, do yourself a favor and try one. I know several other gin cocktails get alot of praise in this thread, but it's worth it to try this one out too. It's cold and rainy where I'm at, and I just logged in another 12 hour day, so coming home to relax and sip on this was very comforting. It's a happy cocktail, and should get way more appreciation.

Now to go compare my favorite rye with a single barrel bourbon in a Manhattan stand off.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

angor posted:

I recently moved away from my beautifully stocked bar so now all I have a gigantic bottle of Woodford Reserve bourbon, Ardbeg 10, Hendricks, and half a bottle of Grant's.

Any cocktail ideas with what I've got? I want to pick up another few bottles, but have to spread it over time. Everything is extortionately expensive here, and the selection is awful. I guess that's what happens when there are only 3 liquor stores in the entire country. Bollocks.

Another vote for getting a bottle of bitters and vermouth. You've got a decent bourbon there, so Manhattan's and Old Fashioned's are a good idea. If you can find Campari where you're at, get it because then you can mix it with the gin and the bourbon for a Negroni or Boulvadier.

My scotch experience is pretty limited, but isn't Ardberg a single malt meant for sipping? You could always make a Rob Roy with it if you got the vermouth and bitters btw.

One last thing, I'm not a huge fan of Hendricks. In my opinion, it's a rather over priced gin that makes a good gin and tonic and a poo poo martini. I wouldn't really use it in any other gin cocktail, and for the price I'd much rather grab a big bottle of Beefeater's and be able to use it in pretty much anything that requires gin. The flavor profile of Hendricks sort of limits it's uses for me.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Yeah, bitters and vermouth definitely on the list. I think I'm going to the liquor store today! I'll check on the Campari, they should definitely have it, and I do love me a negroni. Definitely not planning on mixing the Ardbeg, just mentioning that it's on hand :)

Also, word on the street is, the liquor store got some decent beers in from the UK. I AM EXCITED!

angor fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 12, 2013

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

rxcowboy posted:

My scotch experience is pretty limited, but isn't Ardberg a single malt meant for sipping? You could always make a Rob Roy with it if you got the vermouth and bitters btw.

It's an Islay, so it's basically a peat bomb that'd probably overpower something like a Rob Roy. It does, however, work excellently in a Penicillin. It means playing around making honey/ginger syrup, but it's completely worth the time.

Penicillin
2 ounces blended scotch (i.e. your Grants)
3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
3/4 ounce ginger-honey syrup
1/4 ounce Islay scotch

Combine everything but the Islay, shake, strain over ice, float Islay on the top.

The blog I linked goes with "For ginger-honey syrup (my recipe; chime in if you use something different): combine 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan over medium heat and whisk until well combined. Add an ounce or so of peeled, sliced fresh ginger and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely; strain." Sam Ross in this video says to make ginger syrup just from the machine-juiced ginger with sugar added. I've seen recipes that just call for a couple muddled pieces of ginger.

Either way, it's one of my favourite end-of-night cocktails. Really balances out the peat smoke without trying to hide it.

I've also had Ardbeg 10 alone in a Blood and Sand to good if slightly potent results, it's great if you can get a hold of some Cherry Heering:

Blood and Sand
1 1/2 oz blended scotch whisky
3/4 oz sweet vermouth
3/4 oz Cherry Heering
3/4 oz fresh orange juice

E:

angor posted:

Definitely not planning on mixing the Ardbeg, just mentioning that it's on hand :)

It's definitely a great whisky on its own, but you're missing out :colbert:

Destrado fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Oct 12, 2013

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

bolo yeung posted:

I had a variation on the The Last Word at Longman & Eagle in Chicago a couple of days ago. It's called a Word Find and is a mix of The Last Word and a Whiskey Sour. Utterly delicious. I don't know the proportions, but the ingredients were Rittenhouse Rye, Green Chartreuse, Cherry Heering, Lemon Juice, and Simple Syrup.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Destrado posted:

It's definitely a great whisky on its own, but you're missing out :colbert:

FINE. I'll mix it. Happy now?

I actually didn't know I could get good results mixing it, but it seems I'm wrong! Looks like I'll be making a batch of ginger-honey syrup soon. Thanks!

I really, really doubt I'll be able to get Cherry Heering out here :(. I've got some colleagues that are going to the US for a month or so. I might have to convince them to bring back some of the harder to find things.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

"Virgil, have you ever combed your hair?"
"Oh, I did once, but it almost killed me."
"How often do you change your shirt?"
"Oh, about once a year. Why? How often do you change yours?"
"Once a day and sometimes twice when it's hot."
"But judge, how can you call me dirty when you soil three hundred and sixty-five shirts to my one?"

Well, that was all the judge needed. His gavel came down and right then and there he sentenced Virgil to a bath.

Decided today was a good day for a New Englander. One part gin, 2-3 parts Moxie, and a dash of Worcestershire. The mason jar seemed obligatory.

E: Fixed image.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 15, 2013

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

rxcowboy posted:

One last thing, I'm not a huge fan of Hendricks. In my opinion, it's a rather over priced gin that makes a good gin and tonic and a poo poo martini. I wouldn't really use it in any other gin cocktail, and for the price I'd much rather grab a big bottle of Beefeater's and be able to use it in pretty much anything that requires gin. The flavor profile of Hendricks sort of limits it's uses for me.
Hendricks is made for sipping. It's like with scotch - a really nice speyside will be fuckin' delicious, but you wouldn't use it in a cocktail when Cutty Sark or Teacher's is a lot cheaper and delivers more of a general "scotch" flavor.

Also Brokers is way nicer than Beefeater's and only costs a dollar more at my local store so :unsmigghh:

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Whalley posted:

Hendricks is made for sipping. It's like with scotch - a really nice speyside will be fuckin' delicious, but you wouldn't use it in a cocktail when Cutty Sark or Teacher's is a lot cheaper and delivers more of a general "scotch" flavor.

Also Brokers is way nicer than Beefeater's and only costs a dollar more at my local store so :unsmigghh:

Huh. I've never heard of anyone drinking gin straight, the closest I've come is a very dry martini I guess.

Or looking at local drunks chugging fifths of Seagrams.

And if anyone I know picks Cutty Sark over Teacher's, I will loving cut them.

Had another Martinez last night. Really a great gin cocktail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

rxcowboy posted:

Had another Martinez last night. Really a great gin cocktail.

You should try it with maraschino liqueur instead of orange liqueur and more vermouth. PDT goes 1:1 gin:vermouth for what it's worth. A really great way to enjoy a good vermouth.