Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

Magic sounds like a game where everything is competing gimmicks.

It depends on what format you are playing. It ranges from randomly smashing dudes against each other (Sealed Limited) all the way to Vintage Constructed, which is basically "Who's gimmick is more robust and able to execute before the other guy's does." There are a lot of turn 1-2 kills in Vintage.

It's a great game, but expensive (which I guess is the grief to it's players :cry:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Drewjitsu posted:

It depends on what format you are playing. It ranges from randomly smashing dudes against each other (Sealed Limited) all the way to Vintage Constructed, which is basically "Who's gimmick is more robust and able to execute before the other guy's does." There are a lot of turn 1-2 kills in Vintage.

It's a great game, but expensive (which I guess is the grief to it's players :cry:).

It depends what your deck is based around and what cards you grab. Buddy of mine's deck has four cards that are $250 each and the rest of it is trash, and that's still an expensive as gently caress deck, Other times you pick out a gimmick from a cloud and run with it and nobody ELSE runs with it and boom you got cheap cards ('cause why use them) with a cheap gimmick (wait you mean you do what infinitely) and that's where the magic happens.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yeah I'd hesitate to call this kind of stuff griefing, because combo decks are just a part of the game. Decking someone with Stroke of Genius is a grief, but decking someone with Millstone is "being the winner of the world championships"?

To add content, one fairly easy to execute grief in TF2 has always been putting a teleporter exit at a previous spawn on maps where the attackers get forward spawns after capturing a point, and then putting a teleport entrance outside your current spawn. There's an arrow on them that points in the direction the teleporter leads to, but people rarely pay attention to that.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Soylent Pudding posted:

I only played MTG for a little bit but in my experience the winner was invariably the person who most closely approximated Rush Limbaugh contesting a parking ticket.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Taciturn Tactician posted:

To add content, one fairly easy to execute grief in TF2 has always been putting a teleporter exit at a previous spawn on maps where the attackers get forward spawns after capturing a point, and then putting a teleport entrance outside your current spawn. There's an arrow on them that points in the direction the teleporter leads to, but people rarely pay attention to that.

You can do even better than this - the map Upward (which is a fairly popular map) is one of the ones that gives attackers (quite substantial) forward spawns after they capture the first few objectives, so that attacking the final point doesn't involve more walking than actual fighting (it's a long way from the first spawn location to the final objective).

The map is arranged in a spiral, with the attacker's first spawn on the outside, and the final objective in the middle. The last forward spawn for the attackers is on the exact opposite side of the spiral from the first spawn. What this means is that if you build a teleporter exit at the very start of the map, and the entrance in front of that forward spawn, the arrow on the teleporter points in the same direction as if it was a non-griefy teleporter that would take them closer to the fight.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Arguably the griefiest 'real' magic deck was Eggs (aka EGGS BEST DECK EVER) which would take 15-20 minutes to execute its combo; this is about the length of a normal game, and it's just one person basically playing Solitaire. Eventually they banned one of the key cards because nobody wants that poo poo in tournaments:

quote:

Raines [the person playing Eggs] started to move cards around, switching them from zone to zone. His first iteration had two Lotus Blooms, the Bauble, two Stars, an Island, and a Ghost Quarter. This was definitely enough to work with–though it might take 20 minutes to get there.

Brian Kibler [his opponent] got an idea and had to ask a very important question. He called a judge. Judge Riki Hayashi appeared on the scene.

“Judge, I have to go to the bathroom. Can you watch this for me?”

Hayashi was incredulous. He stood for a second as if to ask, “Really, Brian? Is this what we’ve come to?” After a few moments, he shrugged. “Ok.” Kibler pumped his fist and went to the bathroom. Raines continued going off and Hayashi began leaning over the table. Raines finished searching his library and then without thinking, presented his deck. It sat there for a moment.

“You want to cut me?” Raines said to the judge. Hayashi looked at Raines. He looked around him, then said “Ok,” at took a seat at the table.

“I have a new opponent!” exclaimed Raines. While all this was going on, I didn’t actually know what Brian Kibler was doing. For all we know he was going to return with a hot dog. I kind of hoped he would return with a hot dog; I was hungry.

About five minutes later, with Raines voraciously sifting through his library now down to about 18 cards, Kibler returned triumphantly. When he was about 20 yards away he shouted, “Am I dead yet?!” He was happy to hear the news that he was still alive and sat back down.

“Oh, I took damage while I was gone?” Hayashi nodded. He never took his eyes off the board state as he stood up and swapped spots with Kibler.

“He was an easier opponent than you.” Rained opined.

“Maybe, but he had the power to DQ you.” Kibler retorted.

Kibler arrived just in time to take the requisite remaining damage and scoop up his cards.

“Guys, I got to hit F6 real life!” Kibler though down a game, he was in high spirits as usual.

(F6 is the key in the online version that basically says 'I have nothing to do during your turn, go ahead and do whatever').

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

yaoi prophet posted:

Arguably the griefiest 'real' magic deck was Eggs (aka EGGS BEST DECK EVER) which would take 15-20 minutes to execute its combo; this is about the length of a normal game, and it's just one person basically playing Solitaire. Eventually they banned one of the key cards because nobody wants that poo poo in tournaments:

(F6 is the key in the online version that basically says 'I have nothing to do during your turn, go ahead and do whatever').

Any chance you could explain what the deck did? I don't play magic but I used to and I find reading about funny gimmick decks pretty entertaining.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Stasis
In Magic, you get an 'untap' phase to restore all your resources used from the previous round; lands that were used, characters that attacked, etc. Stasis prevented all players from untapping anything. Meanwhile, I would use creatures that didn't tap to attack or play 'kismet', which causes all cards coming into play to start tapped. That would buy me enough time to be able to destroy or return the stasis card to my hand on my opponent's turn... and then play it on my turn. My stuff untapped, theirs didn't. It's like sieging a castle; you just build up your army while theirs withers and roll in when you feel ready. I don't remember if anyone actually played a game to completion against that deck. Usually they would concede by the second time I had retrieved the stasis.

The version of this that uses chronotog to just keep skipping turns until the opponent decks himself is my favorite. They have like 50 turns in a row just to sit, pissed off and try to figure out a way out of the lock.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Soylent Pudding posted:

If we're on the subject of magic , there's really only one magic grief, any other deck posted here is just a victory condition, but this is Pillow Fort.

Short Version:
There was a deck type that its only purpose was to go to time limit[~50 minutes], in tournament play this could also end up screwing with your opponents tournament score, but the goal of pillow fort is to make your opponent sit there for 50 minutes with nothing to do.

Long Version:
http://www.channelfireball.com/home/woo-brews-building-a-pillow-fort/

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 7, 2013

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

Any chance you could explain what the deck did? I don't play magic but I used to and I find reading about funny gimmick decks pretty entertaining.

So there's this card called Second Sunrise that returns (almost) everything that was put into the graveyard from play to the battlefield that turn. There's also Faith's Reward, which does the same thing, but only for you, and costs one more mana. (It also gets you back planeswalkers, but that's not relevant.) You combine this with cards like Chromatic Star that draw cards when you sacrifice them and keep you roughly even on mana, as well as Lotus Bloom which nets you mana when you sacrifice it. You also use Ghost Quarter to tap one of your nonbasic lands for mana, shoot it with Ghost Quarter, tap the resulting basic for mana, then Second Sunrise to return both the nonbasic and Ghost Quarter to play. As you do this, you keep drawing cards off of your eggs so that you draw into more Second Sunrises, Twincasts so that you can get off two Sunrises at once (you can run an entire combo iteration in between the two casts, it's all instant speed), etc., etc. It's a super-involved combo and unless your opponent has a counterspell or Stifle or something, they're not going to be able to do much in response. Eventually your deck is empty, you can use a Conjurer's Bauble to return a Second Sunrise from your graveyard to play, crack some Lotus Blooms for mana, and use that mana to activate a Pyrite Spellbomb, re-cast Second Sunrise, and then crack the Bauble so you can do it all over.

And during that entire loop your opponent probably can't do anything. They can't even concede because it's not guaranteed to actually go off; during the initial few loops you might get bad draw luck and fizzle. It's awful and hilarious.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Soylent Pudding posted:

All card games are competing gimmicks.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
In the World Of Warcraft card game, there's a Sylvanas card that prevents other Undead cards on your field to die. Combine that with the Abominations, which have the defender attribute, allowing them to intercept attacks on any of your cards and you've pretty much broken the game. Nobody plays with me anymore.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Right up until they borrow the power of Yami Yugi to draw the one card in their deck to turn things around, I.E. a spell that destroys Sylvanas.

Assuming spells exist and can free-target, of course. :v:

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.

Regalingualius posted:

Right up until they borrow the power of Yami Yugi to draw the one card in their deck to turn things around, I.E. a spell that destroys Sylvanas.

Assuming spells exist and can free-target, of course. :v:

There are tons of removal cards in Hearthstone, and ways to silence the Abomination's taunt ability.(or just silence Sylvanas herself and negate her ability) So it's plenty easy to counter and takes multiple turns of unmolested setup to make happen. Not something I'd say even remotely breaks the game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Korhal posted:

There are tons of removal cards in Hearthstone, and ways to silence the Abomination's taunt ability.(or just silence Sylvanas herself and negate her ability) So it's plenty easy to counter and takes multiple turns of unmolested setup to make happen. Not something I'd say even remotely breaks the game.

He wasn't talking about Hearthstone, he was talking about the World of Warcraft trading card game which is apparently a thing that exists.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Skimming this thread reminds me of a few choice WoW moments:

Battlemaster Blues
In WoW, the engineering profession allows characters to build a lot of useless but funny bullshit, as well as a few cool mounts. The first was a small personal helicopter. Two of my teammates and I were all engineers, and before long we were all flying around Shattrath City in these loud, clunky aberrations. In addition to the passive noise of an engine running, the helicopters make a loud clunking sound every time you pressed the strafe button.

This was back when you needed to talk to an NPC in a capital city to queue for a PvP battle, and crowds of mouth-breathers riding their fat elephant monsters caused us minor inconvenience in being able to click on the NPC Battlemasters. Unacceptable. Given a free audience, we jumped in our helicopters, floated a foot off the ground and spammed strafe back and forth as fast as our fingers could go. The resulting aural diarrhea was enough to provoke considerable verbal protest from the crowd, but we felt the helicopters were making our point clearer than our words ever could. Within five minutes most players found it preferable to idle in another part of the city after queuing. By the next expansion, the strafe sound was removed.

AFK Clear
A gang of your peers is waiting for the battle to begin. The emotes begin:

"Robitussin has flagged you as Away From Keyboard. Please type /afk clear to remove the flag."
(If your character is actually flagged as AFK you will be kicked from the match.)

Typing "/afk clear" registers to the game as simply "/afk" which is effectively manually flagging yourself AFK, effectively kicking you out of the battle before it begins, with a 10 minute debuff forbidding you entry to a new battle.

Drillin'
There's an item you can get from a holiday boss that summons up a big rear end drill from the ground which teleports party members who click on it to a faraway dungeon.
There's an item you can drop on the ground that lets fellow party members loot free food for the forthcoming battle.
Summon the drill on top of the food. Watch your team disappear.

Ironforge Airborne
In the twilight days of BC, a mage buddy and I joined a raid to kill the king of the dwarves in the Alliance city of Ironforge. Being a randomly assembled group, the recruitment process took nearly an hour of shouting and inaction. Judging from the conversation going on in raid chat, this probably wasn't going to be a winning group.

Impossibly bored, however, mage-pal and I set out to take the long road to the then-inaccessible roof of Ironforge. Go to Loch Modan, jump between these two particular trees right here, spam jump up the weird cliffs, an odd turn here, and set off across the vast undeveloped plains Blizzard doesn't want you to see. Follow the plains to the roof of Ironforge, where you can jump to a lower cliff and get a nice view of the Alliance scum dueling outside, still well out sight.

By the time we made it, the group was picking up steam. A good chunk of the raid was on their way to the rendezvous point, but as always, at least a quarter of the group insisted on being summoned, the lazy buggers. Being a warlock (summoner) and having no faith in this group whatsoever, I got an idea. I convinced a rogue in the group to join us in our special hideout, and as soon as he arrived, I called out for summon requests in the raid chat. One after another, I built a small army of my own on the "unreachable" cliff, including the loudmouth raid leader who was apparently so busy running around that as soon I summoned him, he unwittingly rocketed off the cliff to his death.

So there were two groups: one at the bottom of the long road up the mountain to the main gate, and mine on the cliff. The plan was simply to jump down and join the main group as they rushed the gate. My summons protested about the height. Such ingrates. I yank their lazy asses across an ocean for free and they want to sass me about one bitty jump. I, of course, came prepared with a parachute cloak, and mage-pal had his Slow Fall spell. The rest could figure it out.

And, remarkably, they did. By awkwardly humping the mountainside as they fell, they were able to mostly break their falls and only take severe damage instead of fatal damage.

Extra remarkably, we killed the king of Ironforge. And Gnomeregan. Then took the tram to Stormwind and killed Bolvar. And the bishop. Then we had a glorious last stand in the Trade District where so many guards spawned that mage-pal's Arcane Explosions only did 1 damage per guard. ALL THANKS TO ME.

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 8, 2013

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Discombobulator posted:

Skimming this thread reminds me of a few choice WoW moments:

AFK Clear
A gang of your peers is waiting for the battle to begin. The emotes begin:

"Robitussin has flagged you as Away From Keyboard. Please type /afk clear to remove the flag."
(If your character is actually flagged as AFK you will be kicked from the match.)

Typing "/afk clear" registers to the game as simply "/afk" which is effectively manually flagging yourself AFK, effectively kicking you out of the battle before it begins, with a 10 minute debuff forbidding you entry to a new battle.

There was a time when this was crucial: Alterac Valley, a big 40 vs. 40 PVP Arena. For most of the PVP arenas in the game, you could queue up to play as a group, with an organized team, but AV only worked like that for as long as it took Blizzard to realize that if even a team of 40 random scrubs went against a team of 30 random scrubs and a 10-man organized squad, it was going to be no contest every time. So, no more queueing for AV as a group. So instead what you'd do is to get everyone on Vent, and everyone would synchronize their watches and queue at the same time, so hopefully you'd all wind up in the same battleground. But what usually happened is that of the 10 or 20 people you wanted to join with, 75% of you would get in, and the rest of the slots would be filled with random scrubs and the rest of your team would be left waiting in the queue.

So people would start hitting macros of just that sort. And it never, ever, ever failed to get at least a single person. They'd /afk, get autokicked from the arena, and one more of your team members would make it in. Also popular was mages saying they were summoning food tables (item players could click on to get water/food), but instead summon a portal, and people blindly clicking on the glowy thing would be teleported out to Darnassus (the shittiest Alliance city), receiving the debuff as above.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Soylent Pudding posted:

That's exactly what it is (or was, back when I was playing in the Ice Age days). There is a set of rules, but only common cards obey them. Basically every other card involves breaking the rules in some way or other. The interesting part is finding different rule-breaking cards that synergize well together.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ariong posted:

He wasn't talking about Hearthstone, he was talking about the World of Warcraft trading card game which is apparently a thing that exists.

Not anymore. They lost the license in late August of this year.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Phanatic posted:

There was a time when this was crucial: Alterac Valley, a big 40 vs. 40 PVP Arena. For most of the PVP arenas in the game, you could queue up to play as a group, with an organized team, but AV only worked like that for as long as it took Blizzard to realize that if even a team of 40 random scrubs went against a team of 30 random scrubs and a 10-man organized squad, it was going to be no contest every time. So, no more queueing for AV as a group. So instead what you'd do is to get everyone on Vent, and everyone would synchronize their watches and queue at the same time, so hopefully you'd all wind up in the same battleground. But what usually happened is that of the 10 or 20 people you wanted to join with, 75% of you would get in, and the rest of the slots would be filled with random scrubs and the rest of your team would be left waiting in the queue.

So people would start hitting macros of just that sort. And it never, ever, ever failed to get at least a single person. They'd /afk, get autokicked from the arena, and one more of your team members would make it in. Also popular was mages saying they were summoning food tables (item players could click on to get water/food), but instead summon a portal, and people blindly clicking on the glowy thing would be teleported out to Darnassus (the shittiest Alliance city), receiving the debuff as above.

Incidentally, this doesn't occur much anymore as they made it a suspension (and with repeated incidents, bannable) offense to try and trick someone into AFKing out of the battleground. Someone still has to report you, but that's not that hard to do.

Speaking of WoW, I ran into something in Warsong Gulch (a Capture the Flag PvP battleground) that felt like a grief, though it was likely designed just to be very effective. There were a team of three rogues (which can stealth) that would go into our flag room, disable what few defenders we had, then have one specific rogue grab the flag. He was set up in such a way that he could run FASTER than a player on a mount, and using his cooldown resets he could keep that burst of speed up long enough to cross the ENTIRE map from one flag room to the other, while using his natural rogue evasive abilities to slip out of every form of slow or CC you might get on him. He was quite literally unstoppable in a pug game. It did a pretty good job of making people on our team ragequit.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zaodai posted:

Incidentally, this doesn't occur much anymore as they made it a suspension (and with repeated incidents, bannable) offense to try and trick someone into AFKing out of the battleground. Someone still has to report you, but that's not that hard to do.

And I should mention the reason why /afk kicks you out of a battleground in the first place: people would grief the 79 other people in an AV match by going in there and then just fishing or standing there or something. So Blizzard had to change it so that when the game marked you as /afk after you stood there with your dick in your hand long enough, it would autokick you from the battleground.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Speaking of WoW, I ran into something in Warsong Gulch (a Capture the Flag PvP battleground) that felt like a grief, though it was likely designed just to be very effective. There were a team of three rogues (which can stealth) that would go into our flag room, disable what few defenders we had, then have one specific rogue grab the flag. He was set up in such a way that he could run FASTER than a player on a mount, and using his cooldown resets he could keep that burst of speed up long enough to cross the ENTIRE map from one flag room to the other, while using his natural rogue evasive abilities to slip out of every form of slow or CC you might get on him. He was quite literally unstoppable in a pug game. It did a pretty good job of making people on our team ragequit.

Another one in Warsong Gulch, back in vanilla there was a snowman costume which you could click and become a snowman, well you could click it while falling and it would freeze you where you clicked it. So jumping off the roof of the flag room, while holding the flag, if you timed it right you would be pretty well hidden from everyone, unless someone looked up, leading to tunnel visioned pubbies running around for a half hour looking for you, with your team rage quitting from you not capturing the flag.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Theparker posted:

Another one in Warsong Gulch, back in vanilla there was a snowman costume which you could click and become a snowman, well you could click it while falling and it would freeze you where you clicked it. So jumping off the roof of the flag room, while holding the flag, if you timed it right you would be pretty well hidden from everyone, unless someone looked up, leading to tunnel visioned pubbies running around for a half hour looking for you, with your team rage quitting from you not capturing the flag.

Bear in mind that back then Warsong Gulch didn't have a time limit and only ended when one team captured three flags so this could drag out the match indefinitely.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

On the newly-released Timeless Isle, there's a cave where players can essentially gamble with the currency that drops on the Isle to get a unique pet and an item that can dramatically upgrade the quality of gear produced from tokens that drop there. Nearby, there's a rock giant that walks around that can launch boulders at someone who's fighting it. As I've seen/done, that mob can be dragged over to the rather small cave, and starts flinging boulders that deal quite a bit of damage to anyone in the area where his target was when he finishes casting it. Since people tend to tunnel-vision on the gambling AND stand still, and I've got Blink, a spell that instantly teleports you a short distance away from your current location...

:getin:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
This reminds me of Portal Roulette.

After a 25 man Raid a few mage friends of mine would all stand on top of each other and summon every town portal they could. The result was a white hole that if you hovered your mouse over you would see every city flash by in half a second at random. This made a 25 man raid end up deciding whether they wanted to blow their hearth stones (1 hour cooldown back to their respective inn), Walk back from the Raid zone (sometimes this could take 25-30 minutes on it's own), or click on your roulette portal. The best was when someone would end up in bumfuck nowhere and had to spend 45 minutes working their way back home.

Going back even further, there was about a 2 week period in vanilla WoW where a bug emerged for Mages. It revolved around the spell Arcane Missiles. At the time this was a very little used spell as the fire/ice equivalents were much better in every way. The spell was a channeled cast that would fire 5 bolts towards the target. It had a 40yard range on it. Now the bug involved that the range check only occurred on the first bolt. This allowed us to target a monster in the 40 yard range then macro target something 1000 Yard away. This would end up with bolts going in random directions to vanish into the Fog of War.

Now to add a little to this: In a 40 man Raid setting, if you aggro a monster they will not drop aggro until they either die, or everyone in the instance is dead. They also have a social mechanic that if a monster passes another group, they chain on as well. 40 people would zone into Molten Core, the end game instance at the time. The layout of the instance was perfect for this. We would start clearing the first wave of trash monsters and I would target Magmanar (I believe that was his name, the giant Dog boss). A bolt would randomly zone through the wall. 3 minutes later, 2 Raid bosses and 25 trash mobs would come running at the group and no one would know why. I would conveniently zone myself out of the instance to avoid the death. In the end we used this ability to speed clear the instance as we could save a lot of travelling time by pulling from across the map.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Portal Roulette is even better now because Blizzard for some reason let mages get a portal to old Dalaran. Not Dalaran's new location floating around in Northrend; they can now create a portal that teleports you to where the portals would have been in Dalaran's original location in Alterac Mountains.

This is of course a few hundred feet in the air above a crater.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The two Dalaran portals have the same name too, so there is no way to tell if your mage is being a dick until you're a mile in the air.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Or if you've got a means to see what the name of the spell in their castbar is.

Or if they stop to think on why you're opening a portal to a city that hasn't been relevant for two expansions. :v:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Portal Roulette is even better now because Blizzard for some reason let mages get a portal to old Dalaran. Not Dalaran's new location floating around in Northrend; they can now create a portal that teleports you to where the portals would have been in Dalaran's original location in Alterac Mountains.

This is of course a few hundred feet in the air above a crater.

I was not aware of this and suddenly I need it. Wowhead says it's a book bought from the portal trainer in Dalaran.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I was not aware of this and suddenly I need it. Wowhead says it's a book bought from the portal trainer in Dalaran.

To buy it, though, you have to beat the end boss of Scarlet Halls while intercepting all of his book burning spells, then looting the book object for the teleport spell. However, you can loot it from the low-level version.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

m.hache posted:

This reminds me of Portal Roulette.

After a 25 man Raid a few mage friends of mine would all stand on top of each other and summon every town portal they could. The result was a white hole that if you hovered your mouse over you would see every city flash by in half a second at random. This made a 25 man raid end up deciding whether they wanted to blow their hearth stones (1 hour cooldown back to their respective inn), Walk back from the Raid zone (sometimes this could take 25-30 minutes on it's own), or click on your roulette portal. The best was when someone would end up in bumfuck nowhere and had to spend 45 minutes working their way back home.

Another good portal trick, in Lich King, on horde side in Dalaran, there was a set of portals to send you to all the major city hubs, and one empty alcove next to the orgimar portal. Well I got a mage buddy to set up a portal to orgimar in the empty alcove (you can only take mages ports if you are in a group with that mage) and I would hide the orginal portal with my war mammoth, this lead a lot of people thinking that the portal was broken.

E: My all time favorite in wow was the raid symbol grief, raid symbols were used to mark kill order of mobs, or mark a party member with a debuff, well one fine goon created a mod that would put the symbols above party memebers heads and rapidly cycle through them. In a 5 man instance for whatever reason would annoy pubbies to no end.

White Noise Marine fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 8, 2013

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Pouring one out for all the homies we've lost along the way. RIP, y'all.

This guy is grown, but had to quit playing STO months ago because he kept complaining about Starfleet Dental to his mom. She took away his Star Trek privileges. Yes, he's still bitter.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DonDoodles posted:

This guy is grown, but had to quit playing STO months ago because he kept complaining about Starfleet Dental to his mom. She took away his Star Trek privileges. Yes, he's still bitter.

He might be grown.

But he's not a grown man. That's pure, 100% manchild right there.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
You...you're kidding me, right? :stonklol: You just drew that right now and intentionally wrote like a child to get laughs?

If that's real, it is completely horrifying.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

D34THROW posted:

You...you're kidding me, right? :stonklol: You just drew that right now and intentionally wrote like a child to get laughs?

If that's real, it is completely horrifying.

He is on a mission to destroy all trolls over YouTube. He pops up on most SFD posts. He's great. He's our little mascot.

And his Facebook profile pic is him in a starfleet uniform.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Butts died for your sins.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

DonDoodles posted:

Is this the guy who had a half dozen dead-eyed, double-d strippers tributes of his mother dance for him?

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 9, 2013

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Nyyen posted:

Is this the guy who had a half dozen dead-eyed clones of his mother strip for him?

No that's some other deeply disturbed individual.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I hope not I want there to be two people SFD trolled by having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

VanSandman posted:

I hope not I want there to be two people SFD trolled by having fun.

By my count there's about a dozen people who hate us enough that we know them by name, like the dude whop drew that.

• Locked thread