Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yes great, gonna play an 80+ hour RPG on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Overbite posted:

What would be the difference from playing it on any other handheld? Turn-based RPGs are one of the few genres tat wouldn't suffer in any appreciable way from being on the phone.

Now, whether or not those games ever make it into english...

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Pureauthor posted:

What would be the difference from playing it on any other handheld? Turn-based RPGs are one of the few genres tat wouldn't suffer in any appreciable way from being on the phone.

Now, whether or not those games ever make it into english...

Maybe it's me, I hate playing games on a phone.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That actually looks like it'd be great on a tablet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFXIII you are worse for naming achievements after FFV.

Yes I understand sort of kind of what you were maybe going for with the naming scheme buts in nonsensical and has no real tie to each other and serves to bring up a game with a terrible story and great mechanics that lets you do want you want constantly i.e. a better one than this.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

FFXIII you are worse for naming achievements after FFV.

Yes I understand sort of kind of what you were maybe going for with the naming scheme buts in nonsensical and has no real tie to each other and serves to bring up a game with a terrible story and great mechanics that lets you do want you want constantly i.e. a better one than this.

Serious question. Are you even capable of making a post in here in which you do not poo poo on FF13? Because that schtick is getting seriously old.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

Serious question. Are you even capable of making a post in here in which you do not poo poo on FF13? Because that schtick is getting seriously old.

I, uh, enjoyed FF13 more than a lot of FF games and have been playing FFV again on IOS which if you haven't everyone should be doing. Playing FFV again made me remember what the hell Kegler's Cup achievement was about so I figured I'd mention it.

FFV isn't the experience I remember but drat the job system remains better than anything that came after it in terms of flexibility. Probably because its incredibly ridiculously broken in the players favor and gives you most benefits of jobs upfront when you change into them rather than Dimensions piecemeal approach. Probably more "balanced" to do it Dimensions' way now that I think about it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Overbite posted:

Maybe it's me, I hate playing games on a phone.
Pretty sure it isn't you. The whole "FF5, but different!" setup for FF Dimensions was cool, but I realized I really loving hate the controls. Touchscreen for a game that was designed with a PSX/PS2 controller in mind is too :psyduck: to even imagine.

Maybe I just have oily fingertips, I dunno.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 9, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Pretty sure it isn't you. The whole "FF5, but different!" setup for FF Dimensions was cool, but I realized I really loving hate the controls. Touchscreen for a game that was designed with a PSX/PS2 controller in mind is too :psyduck: to even imagine.

I didn't notice it in Dimensions as much (it was still a problem) but FFV when you enable the diagonal movement you can very, very easily get caught on staircases or really any one square wide hallway. I love FFV but I absolutely would have paid more money to play this on a 3DS, Vita, PC or really anything with an honest to god thumbstick and buttons.

Edit: Selecting all versus a single ally in battle has also been vastly more frustrating in FFV but I think that's due to how the name boxes are set up. I've misfired a few times now in bossfights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

No, I feel the same way. Touch controls are awful for basic movement.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I have yet to beat Dimensions because I just don't really like playing games on my phone.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Overbite posted:

And having it be in landscape mode is the poo poo cherry on the AIDS sundae. Say what you will about the Japanese audience but they keep finding new ways to be disappointing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Given that it's a 3D game and the original game engine already had support for multiple aspect ratios, it's quite likely that the viewport can be rotated.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

I definitely stopped playing FFD because the controls were making me get into way more random battles than I wanted.

On that note, gently caress random battles forever. There's absolutely no reason for them to exist in a modern RPG. It's one of the few things FF13 actually got right.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
^^^ I agree re: random battles, and that's one of my small nitpicks with 13-2 right now. Also when they appear, it's always just behind me, which means you have turn around and swing the camera and then when you get back onto the field you're all turned around. At least preemptive strikes are way easier and more satisfying to get.

Thanks for the Tactics advice everyone, it's all great and helpful. I don't know why I was expecting it to have some semblance of a tutorial, so I'll just have to sit down and go through the in-game guide and do a lot of reading before I tackle it in earnest.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
To be honest, reading the tutorials will take forever and you'd get a better idea of how to play the game by watching a few LP's of the first 2 battles or so.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Step 1: Unlock monks (get Lv2 on a Knight job)
Step 2: Learn Chakra
Step 3: Abuse Chakra to keep your units alive, slowly fumble your way through the game until the system makes some sense to you.

That's how I played it my first time, anyway.
EDIT: Stigma Magic and Wave Fist and Counter are also Monk must-haves for me. They give a unit a rounded skill set that allows them to heal and de-status their own self, heal and de-status friendly units on level terrain (mountains are a problem but you won't run into really rough terrain until you should be more comfortable with the game), the ability to hit at range and Counter helps soften up the enemy when you're getting hammered. And Chakra is ridiculously easy to abuse for grinding, if you ever feel so inclined.

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 9, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Step 1: Unlock monks (get Lv2 on a Knight job)
Step 2: Learn Chakra
Step 3: Abuse Chakra to keep your units alive, slowly fumble your way through the game until the system makes some sense to you.

That's how I played it my first time, anyway.

I got the Greatest Hits version of FFT after seeing some of my friends play it in boarding school. I mean, they weren't sperglords or anything, but they taught me the "Reduce one enemy's Brave to 0, reduce his Speed to 1, Yell, Accumulate, rinse, repeat" method of playing.

Actually their approach to it was casting Accumulate so much that their JP rolled over to the next job class :shepface:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

When you unlock a new job class you get a random starting amount of jp in it and a fraction of all the jp you've seen someone else earn it it. One of the dumb hacks out there tends to require you to abuse this to its fullest to keep its level/gear scaling from shredding you too bad.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Overbite posted:

I beat FF: Tactics on my phone, got pretty far in Chrono Trigger, beat FF5 twice. I'm gonna get around to playing FF: Dimensions one day too. Certain genres work really well on phones and I think turn based RPGs are one of them.

Is it perfect? No. Would I prefer to play them on a 3DS or Vita? Of course. But I don't have my 3DS and Vita on me 24/7. I got through significant portions of FF:T and FF5 at work :v:

Sunning posted:

I understand this isn't Final Fantasy but Dragon Quest 1-8 will be ported to Smart Phone (iOS/Android) along with a new game.

I can see myself picking up some of the DQ games for iOS provided they port them well enough. I guess I'm the target audience though. To me, phone RPGs are great little timewasters provided it's a game you've played before, but I wouldn't want to experience something like FF9 on a phone for the first time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Elec posted:

I also picked up War of the Lions, as I have never played Tactics, and maybe it was a mistake, because I suck really, really bad at strategy games and everything seems really confusing. I lost during my first attempt of the very first battle where you can control your own party. I won the second time, but still, that doesn't really bode well, does it. Hopefully if I follow a guide to the letter I'll make it through.

This may seem rude, but... you did bring in a full team and not just Ramza and Delita, right? It's a surprisingly common mistake, as a lot of people miss the little icons to scroll through your guys on the party formation screen.

But yeah, early on you should probably just teach everybody Potion and Phoenix Down and give them Item secondary. It's cheap and it makes you surprisingly hard to kill. Make characters with high Faith scores (upper 60s) into Black Mages and get them Elemental Rods as soon as they're available (check Gariland or Dorter, I believe. Different towns will stock different items in the stores). Black Magic is really strong, and it'll get you to start paying attention to timing with the CT list (press left when your cursor is over an ability to bring up a list of when that ability will execute). Paying attention to CT is key to getting really good at the game.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

This may seem rude, but... you did bring in a full team and not just Ramza and Delita, right? It's a surprisingly common mistake, as a lot of people miss the little icons to scroll through your guys on the party formation screen.
Haha, funny that you mention this, because I did some googling to see if anyone else had any difficulties with the first battle. I actually did bring a full team in, and then felt even dumber than I would have if I had only brought in those two. I found a lot of topics/questions and the problem was always that they hadn't brought in a full party. I didn't make that mistake, I just sucked. :)

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Elec posted:

Haha, funny that you mention this, because I did some googling to see if anyone else had any difficulties with the first battle. I actually did bring a full team in, and then felt even dumber than I would have if I had only brought in those two. I found a lot of topics/questions and the problem was always that they hadn't brought in a full party. I didn't make that mistake, I just sucked. :)

For the Gariland and Mandalia Plains story battles, you have to play pretty conservatively, because you don't have any other good options available to you. Let the enemy come to you so you can gang up on them as they trickle in.

Also, at the beginning of the Mandalia Plains battle, when given the option, don't try and save Argath, because that idiot will almost assuredly charge right into the enemies and get his stupid rear end killed, and if you tried to rescue him that means game over and you couldn't do anything about it. It doesn't change anything storywise, and choosing not to save him raises Ramza's Brave, which makes him a better physical fighter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In the beginning of the game, keep your troops within a few squares of each other so that your Chemists can keep people healed and so that nobody's more than a turn away from anybody else. Don't stay too close together if you're fighting casters, but don't split up until your guys have gotten a few levels and skills on them. Gang up on people, and try to hit them in their sides or rear--every unit has passive evasion defenses and they're strongest from the front. Incidentally, try not to show your back to the enemy for just this reason. If you've got troops standing side by side, or with their backs against rocks/walls, this will also limit enemies' ability to shank you in the rear.

Also, seriously, gently caress Argath.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Pureauthor posted:

It's all about the controls and how the device is designed to fit comfortably in your hands. People hold phones differently than they hold handheld game consoles and no one has figured out a way yet to optimize comfort for both at the same time. At least, not imo.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also, don't use Archers more than is strictly necessary to unlock other jobs; their Aim skill with Bows/Crossbows takes way too drat long at higher ranks, and while the Gun ones are instant, they require leveling up an Orator to equip... Which is along the caster tree of jobs.

And don't bother learning anything but the last ranks of the Jump skills when you unlock Dragoon; it does take some time to get that much JP up, but the later ranks have all of the preceding ranks of Jump skill baked into them.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Overbite posted:

Don't worry, Square-Enix has a number of alternatives for you to enjoy. They company is going to go heavily invest mobile gaming. There is no question about that. The only question is whether their mobile games will be F2P games tailored towards attracting Japanese 'whale' spenders at the expense of their traditional games. These ports and other games, such as FF:Agito and Deus Ex: The Fall, have a lot riding on them in regard to deciding the composition of the company's future software lineup.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

No, I feel the same way. Touch controls are awful for basic movement.

I can only stomach really casual games on the phone like pinball or something. The control scheme for the types of games I enjoy just don't work well and I can't imagine trying to play 40+ hour JRPG on one. Also my phone barely lasts a day without gaming, if I was constantly gaming it would be on the charger 24/7 or I'd be constantly swapping batteries.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I haven't played FFT in like 8 years or so, all I remember is loving the game and getting what I thought was pretty far until I got stuck fighting some guy in a castle with just Ramza. At that time I didn't know saving multiple slots was recommended and I think I was stuck on a Summoner job or something. Needless to say I stopped playing it there and have never went back. :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ShadeofDante posted:

I haven't played FFT in like 8 years or so, all I remember is loving the game and getting what I thought was pretty far until I got stuck fighting some guy in a castle with just Ramza. At that time I didn't know saving multiple slots was recommended and I think I was stuck on a Summoner job or something. Needless to say I stopped playing it there and have never went back. :v:

Oddly enough you could have geared yourself to be immune to most of his attacks without changing jobs.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

In the beginning of the game, keep your troops within a few squares of each other so that your Chemists can keep people healed and so that nobody's more than a turn away from anybody else. Don't stay too close together if you're fighting casters, but don't split up until your guys have gotten a few levels and skills on them. Gang up on people, and try to hit them in their sides or rear--every unit has passive evasion defenses and they're strongest from the front. Incidentally, try not to show your back to the enemy for just this reason. If you've got troops standing side by side, or with their backs against rocks/walls, this will also limit enemies' ability to shank you in the rear.

Also, seriously, gently caress Argath.

Along these lines, there are several maps with barriers lined up in such a way that you can set up a spartan phalanx and be completely protected from being outflanked.

Actually if you do have the patience to grind Orators, you can pretty hilariously grind down almost every enemy formation with a hail of bullets. Doubly so if you get dual wield from grinding Ninjas. Just stay in place and keep firing until you're out of bullets :getin:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vi-is-coming-to-ios-and-android-vii-coul-1443087791

Here comes FFVI, for iOS and Android.

quote:

Square Enix will be releasing a modified version of the beloved Final Fantasy VI, originally released in North America in 1994 as Final Fantasy III, this winter for iOS and Android, long-time Square director and producer Takashi Tokita told Kotaku today. The game won't be a straight port.

"It is basically like a remake of the original VI," Tokita said as he proudly revealed his surprise at the end of a presentation about the recent smartphone release of FFV and the upcoming mobile release of FFIV: The After Years. "But there have been some enhancements."

"The battle systems have been altered for the other [mobile remakes] for Final Fantasy and VI will be the same. For instance grinding was an issue and people had to spend a lot of time leveling up. Now on the mobile devices the battle systems have been adjusted so you don't have to fight as much and can enjoy the game for what it is."

The graphics, he said, will be refined for cellphones. They'll still be 2D but sharpened, a la the recent mobile release of V.

The next release in the Legacy series will be a mobile port of Final Fantasy: The After Years, which was originally released on phones in Japan and as a downloadable game for the Wii in the U.S. The mobile release is a 3D remake of the original release.

The Legacy series won't necessarily end with VI, Tokita said, when we asked him if it could include VII, VIII, IX, X and beyond. "We are aware that we have tons of VII fans," he noted. "We have VII fans in our own company. If this Legacy project works out well, we would like to one day be able to work with VII."

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh boy, banking on TAY to carry their "Legacy" series, I can see this ending well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When he says graphics sharpened like FFV does he mean using the FFDimension's sprites which themselves are draw-overs of FFVI sprites and Amano character portraits?

Also did anyone have issues grinding in FFVI? I can't remember any real stumbling blocks in that game.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
It wasn't so much that, but if you wanted any good Esper abilities you did have to grind some serious AP out on Cactuars and poo poo.

Anything to get rid of that would be welcome.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

There was that one part where you don't have magic yet and the game is maybe slightly difficult? I think I died to that tunneler boss you're supposed to use Runic on once or twice? And, uh, the guy at the top of the Fanatic's Tower is hard if you don't bring something to protect yourself from Ultima, I guess.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Barudak posted:

Also did anyone have issues grinding in FFVI? I can't remember any real stumbling blocks in that game.

None in terms of XP. The only way you can screw yourself at all is in the World of Ruin during the few times they force you to split up the party and even that can be easily overcome by making sure that you divide up your most powerful characters.

Grinding Esper abilities was obnoxious though I will admit.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Have any of their remake games been anything but mobile? I'd much prefer this to be, say, an eShop game, or a PSN title.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Barudak posted:

I don't think I've had to grind in any FF past III. That's probably why I don't like the first three, actually. And I'm sure someone will come out and say they didn't have to grind in those three either.

Mind you VI was the first one I played and I was terrible at turn-based RPGs my first playthrough but I have not been able to replicate that difficulty since. I only got through the World of Ruin thanks to the Relm glitch giving me something like 100+ Excaliburs or something ridiculous like that. I think at one point I sold a bunch of crap and stocked up on 99 super balls and trolled everything I came across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Uncursing the Paladin Shield now takes 10 battles.

I never even had to grind Espers that much, but that's because I end up spending WAY too much time on the Veldt trying to get Gau's best rages. Really not worth it in hindsight...

Edit: Also, I hope they don't use the Dimensions-style character sprites, because those are ugly as sin.