Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
As a lefty who's had to deal with that poo poo his whole life I have to say good, you all deserve to suffer the way we do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

whaley posted:

drat your house sucks. Maybe you have an air conditioner, a running microwave, and a refrigerator in that ten foot space.

How well the Wii U pad communicates seems to vary wildly. Mine works OK from my bedroom which is on the other side of my living room wall, and I can go most of the way down the hall so it works from just outside my bathroom (maybe about 25 feet plus a corner away from the Wii U itself), but it will stop working if I actually go into the bathroom, so my dreams of playing a next-gen console on the toilet will have to wait. :sigh: There is nothing electronic between the Wii U and anywhere I would use the gamepad.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
There was a few days in my new place where the connection wouldn't work with me on top of my Wii U but since then it works perfect again and I can poop in the bathroom with the door shut without losing a connection.

As for Wonderful 101, it isn't a game made for people with little patience. I had the same issues as Al Borland on my first 30 minutes and thought the game was crap until I got comfortable drawing shapes and now it's second nature for me. There's a bit of a learning curve. That's why the demo is so great.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Someone here on SA made an excellent tutorial video at how to actually play W101. There's a lot going on which isn't incredibly obvious.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You're talking about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdRo5MxaJY

...and yes, it's helpful.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

univbee posted:

How well the Wii U pad communicates seems to vary wildly. Mine works OK from my bedroom which is on the other side of my living room wall, and I can go most of the way down the hall so it works from just outside my bathroom (maybe about 25 feet plus a corner away from the Wii U itself), but it will stop working if I actually go into the bathroom, so my dreams of playing a next-gen console on the toilet will have to wait. :sigh: There is nothing electronic between the Wii U and anywhere I would use the gamepad.

That doesn't seem to vary wildly at all unless your bedroom is 30 ft away.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Harry posted:

That doesn't seem to vary wildly at all unless your bedroom is 30 ft away.

I meant that more as a YMMV, since some people have experienced weirdness like the connectivity failing as soon as they leave the room the Wii U console is in. It's pretty much impossible to guarantee how well it'll work in your specific living environment without having one to test with.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In fairness to the people who can't draw a circle, that tutorial Unite Hand seems to be incredibly finicky. I think it wants you to start at a particular point on the circle or something.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
It also doesn't help that, at that point in the game, you have [twenty or so wonderful ones tops? So if you're not used to the game, it can actually be easy to overshoot just how many people you have and wind up with only part or the circle you're after.

But yeah its one of those things that, once you're used to it, is fairly second nature to pull off.

As for tablet connectivity, I have a suspicion that wood might somehow affect things (not entirely sure how, but still), since my WiiU is with the TV that sits between two shelving units, and on the other side of the wall in the dining room is a giant cabinet. Subsequently, thing will do relatively well in only one of the four cardinal directions.

That said, for anyone with battery issues - take the cable with you if you can. It doesn't need to be in the stand to work, so I've been able to extend my play time more than handily enough.

EDIT: Forgot you end up rescuing some folks on the bus to increase the numbers. Still don't think its too much though.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Sales for Japan are out!

The only Wii U game in the top 20 was WWHD at #10. 6k copies, 36.5k total since release.

Hardware Sales (last week’s sales)

3DS LL – 85,885 (93,757)
3DS – 37,102 (40,487)
PlayStation 3 – 10,232 (11,382)
PSP – 4,093 (4,805)
Wii U – 4,001 (5,909)
PlayStation Vita – 3,538 (6,031)

The Vita drop is because the revised model is out this week, I believe?

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Quest For Glory II posted:

I would argue the Wii U gamepad is less useful than the DS second screen because the DS's screens can be seen simultaneously, which makes it easier to do things on the fly. The Wii U gamepad experience for that would be head up head down head up head down head up head down.

Its only practical use is asymmetrical gameplay and Off-TV Play. And asymmetrical gameplay is difficult to balance to make it fun for both parties. With Nintendoland, for example, it is infinitely more fun to play as the Swordsman in Zelda than it is the Archer. In NSMBU, you can't even play the game, but instead have to babysit the other players.

You create an experience that no one wants to be stuck with. If I'm playing a Wii U game with other people, I don't want to be the one with the Gamepad. That's how relatively useless asymmetrical gameplay is.

Opinions and tastes differ wildly. I heard a lot about how people would be fighting over the gamepad and everyone else would feel slighted to not be the one with it.
I like being the archer better than the swordsman in the Zelda bit.

People don't seem to want to have people over in actual meatspace to play games with much anymore. That's a shame, in a way.
I am glad there is a fairly major company still producing systems and software that caters to those of us who do have guests play at their actual house. It may not last much longer now that online is all that people seem to want, but I appreciate it while it is happening anyways.

People want to dismiss the potential of second-screen mechanics as either a map or a horn honking button, but gently caress that - I know there is lots of potential for it even outside of Pac Man VS., Luigi's Mansion style asymmetrical gameplay. Even that has lots of potential to me, so whatever.

fivegears4reverse posted:

I think the Murphy levels are entirely unnecessary.

And I don't.
I like them, and I like the Wii U implementation far better than the Xbox 360 implementation.

Mister Adequate posted:

But W101 is a bad game that people pretend is good because they like the company, while Shenmue was a vast and glorious experiment that did things no game before had even dreamed of?

Actually, for me, it's closer to being a case where I pretend that the company is good because I like the games.
Except I actually do think the company is good because I like the games they make.

greatn posted:

It connects directly to the WiiU. The limits of how far you can stay from your system are latency. If it starts to detect latency above some certain amount it will cut out. If it was connecting over wifi there would be a hell of a lot more latency.

This.
And the basically lag-free gaming is great. It's just not feasible to do it over greater distances or with a higher resolution video feed. High quality gaming in this case requires these concessions.

whaley posted:

Yeah I can go across my entire two story home with it so I guess that's not very far really. It'd only be cool if I could drive to the grocery store and still play it.

To me, it's still cool.

Al Borland posted:

So back to W101.

I tried it, and it looked cool but holy poo poo the controls are god awful on the game pad.

First thing I noticed is you can't use the stylus for ANYTHING.

The controls are not bad at all. And you don't need a stylus for anything at all.
There is a learning curve, but that does not equal bad controls.
You are not understanding the controls, they are actually very simple, whether you're using the touchscreen or the right stick to draw the shape.
Draw the shape, then hit the A button (or the X button, depending).

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

This.
And the basically lag-free gaming is great. It's just not feasible to do it over greater distances or with a higher resolution video feed. High quality gaming in this case requires these concessions.

I like the GamePad streaming more than the NVIDIA shield, since when I tried it the game was only being streamed at 30 fps, despite the game being rendered at 60 fps, and the HUD (specifically, the crosshairs) being impossible to see.

I'll have to wait and see if PS4-Vita streaming is 60 fps, but the GamePad is still really good at streaming. Depending on the video delay on your TV, the GamePad can actually update faster than it, and the compression rarely produces artifacts. It's a shame it doesn't support Wi-Fi, although I imagine the battery life would be terrible in that case.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

Actually, for me, it's closer to being a case where I pretend that the company is good because I like the games.
Except I actually do think the company is good because I like the games they make.

This has to be the most awkwardly phrased rebuttal I've ever read.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

More salt in the wound:

Ubisoft confirms no DLC for Wii U ACIV

quote:

Yesterday Ubisoft announced the Season Pass for Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, revealing a new story, exclusive content and a 20 per cent discount.

We noticed then that Wii U wasn't mentioned anywhere on the press release, and this morning Gamereactor Germany contacted their representatives, who informed them that there'd be no DLC for the Wii U version of ACIV. Gamereactor UK has contacted Ubisoft's UK representatives, and are awaiting their response.

I guess that 3% of sales isn't quite cutting it even for Ubisoft. The same thing happened earlier this week with Injustice: Gods Among Us, so they aren't the only ones.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Sakurai has something to say:

quote:

Questions the industry at large
"Is there any industry that relies so much on reusing and reusing their old titles as much as video games? Compared to other media like movies, dramas, animation, novels and comics, the glut of franchises and remakes is at an unnatural level.''

The nature of gaming
''You have to learn the rules of a game before you can play, and that presents hurdles from the very start. That's why you have a generally unified approach to control methods between titles, and you can usually play one by taking what you already know and adding a feature or two to it -- X means jump, Square means attack, and so on."

On judging at Japan Game Awards, searching for creative spark
"Good games attract fans, and if you have fans, you have an advantage. You try to use that to make the title something bigger, but that doesn't mean it's okay to give up on innovation. Popular, well-made games deserve praise, but titles that have some kind of unique creative spark to them also need to be praised in this way. That's what the judges are trying to do here, and it won't work if it was just popular majority vote. That would lead to people just voting on names and past performances."

Man a Nintendo run by Sakurai would be weird. Less of a reliance on franchises, sequels and remakes would be madness!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He's wrong about the glut of remakes and sequels being unnatural compared to those mediums. I'm pretty sure video games pumps out far more original content a year than most hollywood studios. Comics are obviously slave to perennial repeats of the same characters, as are TV.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Man a Nintendo run by Sakurai would be weird. Less of a reliance on franchises, sequels and remakes would be madness!

And they'd be gone within months.

The average gaming public doesn't care about new or creative ideas.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alteisen posted:

And they'd be gone within months.

The average gaming public doesn't care about new or creative ideas.

The average gaming public spends a ton of loving money on new franchises and IPs. They just have to have those new or creative ideas and actually capitalize on them to make a fun game.

Don't fall into that trap of thinking that "not as successful as CoD" means "not successful".

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Coming from the man whose most notable efforts in videogames to date are sequels to a fighting game franchise, it's kinda funny that he's insistent on new IPs and fresh ideas. I'm pretty sure Nintendo would be worse off with him in charge.

One thing that people who fetishise the word or concept of "innovation" often fail to seriously consider is this: the reason gamers keep buying sequel after sequel of something, ANYTHING, is that those sequels provide a very specific form of entertainment and enjoyment that the fans like. People love familiarity. Videogames, like any other form of customer service and/or entertainment, is about giving the customer what they want, when they want it, and it does chafe artistic-creatives that their "vision" of a "better industry" is being swallowed up by the latest CoD, the latest GTA (or the latest Mario sequel/Zelda Sequel/Smash Bros sequel).

The industry has been PLENTY creative, while always having the supposed "yoke" of sequelitis, since the days of NES Yore and even before that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

He's wrong about the glut of remakes and sequels being unnatural compared to those mediums. I'm pretty sure video games pumps out far more original content a year than most hollywood studios. Comics are obviously slave to perennial repeats of the same characters, as are TV.

He's Japanese. Say what you want (because there's a lot of poo poo) but the Japanese manga industry is not the same as the superhero-dominated comic industry in the US. (And even then it's mostly Marvel and DC pushing that, there's an increase in independant comics.)

fivegears4reverse posted:

Coming from the man whose most notable efforts in videogames to date are sequels to a fighting game franchise, it's kinda funny that he's insistent on new IPs and fresh ideas. I'm pretty sure Nintendo would be worse off with him in charge.

I'm fairly sure Kirby is more notable that Smash Brothers. It's still sequel-heavy but actually does try to mix things up when he is the director.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I'm fairly sure Kirby is more notable that Smash Brothers. It's still sequel-heavy but actually does try to mix things up when he is the director.

Yeah, if you line up all the Kirby games in a row they're all super different from each other. He also poured a fuckload of the Kirby charm into SSBB's story mode as well.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Spiffo posted:

He also poured a fuckload of the Kirby charm into SSBB's story mode as well.

He should have focused on putting the Kirby fun into SSBB's story mode instead.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

TaurusOxford posted:

He should have focused on putting the Kirby fun into SSBB's story mode instead.

Part of the Kirby charm is that it's fun, despite everything. I know tons of folks who dislike "cutesy" poo poo but still can't get enough of the Kirby games. Maybe it's because they believe he's as angry about cuteness as he looks on all the NA covers of the games?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Nintendo re-uses old IPs, but they're always looking for that creative spark, trying out new things in games/systems whether it flops or not.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'm loving seeing the news about what Sakurai said spread now on the internet and watching all the "Pot calls kettle black" drive-by posts that don't even know he hasn't a formal Nintendo employee for almost a decade now.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Oh dear...

quote:

Iwata: “Nintendo is not good at competing,” so must offer something different

Iwata gave his talk at the B Dash Camp startup conference in Osaka, and The Bridge has translated it.

“When we talk about Nintendo we cannot ignore (former president) Hiroshi Yamauchi who just recently passed away. He always said that if you have failure, you don’t need to be too concerned. You always have good things and bad, and this reflects the history of Nintendo. If you do the same thing as others, it will wear you out. Nintendo is not good at competing so we always have to challenge [the status quo] by making something new, rather than competing in an existing market.”
Now, Iwata has talked about Nintendo not being able to or wanting to compete in certain areas before, but I believe this is the first time he's said they aren't good at competing, period (provided this isn't a mistranslation). While he's just admitting what everyone's known for a while now, it's definitely not a big confidence booster.

Midee fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 10, 2013

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

RagnarokAngel posted:

This has to be the most awkwardly phrased rebuttal I've ever read.

Thanks, I had to work at it.

greatn posted:

Yeah, even if the video game industry doesn't put out "far more" original content, I'd say it's within the same basic range of original content vs. sequels as hollywood is.
I do really enjoy Sakurai's games generally, and I think his touches on an old I.P. like Kid Icarus, works just as well for me as a completely new I.P. would anyways. I have no doubt I will greatly enjoy the next Smash as well, regardless of it being just another sequel.
Sequels aren't bad - bad sequels are bad. As for new I.P.'s - only good new I.P.'s are good, otherwise it's just another bad game..

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Midee posted:

Oh dear...

Now, Iwata has talked about Nintendo not being able to or wanting to compete in certain areas before, but I believe this is the first time he's said they aren't good at competing, period (provided this isn't a mistranslation). While he's just admitting what everyone's known for a while now, it's definitely not a big confidence booster.

It is an awkward translation but that isn't precisely what they said. When he says "not good at" he's using it more like "we don't like to/don't want to" as opposed to "we're unable to."

It's difficult to phrase what he said concisely but what the actually was saying is that they're uninterested in doing the "make a bunch of shooters/F2P/whatever" thing. Their developers, for whatever reason, don't want to follow the popular trends and so they instead decide to focus on creating new idea that they believe will appeal to people, and that they (according to Iwata) have a lot of success doing that. Which is backed up by their actual franchise list. These days the most successful games they have are the ones which are not targeting the traditionally popular genres, Mario aside.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 10, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
He was trying to say that Nintendo is not good at doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same or better results. That line of thinking makes sense with him stating they have to always challenge the status quo.

It's very Gumpei Yokoi "Lateral thinking with withered technology" but yeah, it's getting lost in translation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

He was trying to say that Nintendo is not good at doing the same thing over and over and expecting the same or better results.
They need to put their money where their mouth is. Their entire known upcoming lineup is composed of extremely safe software iterations with the expectation of the same results as prior titles, from DKCR2 to Mario Kart 8 to Smash Bros to Yarn Yoshi to Wii Sports: IAP Edition. They need to start surprising people. And I'm not necessarily talking new IPs. But new directions, new twists, new perspectives. And not worry about backlash for doing it because they'll get it regardless.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Nintendo announced some nice bundles in Europe today

http://gearnuke.com/3-new-wii-u-hardware-bundles-coming-europe-release-dates-coincide-xbox-one-playstation-4-launch-window/

The Mario & Luigi combo looks great. Hopefully they price them at $300 and $250 for the Premium/Basic systems and don't do anything stupid.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Astro7x posted:

The Mario & Luigi combo looks great. Hopefully they price them at $300 and $250 for the Premium/Basic systems and don't do anything stupid.

The Basic got discontinued. The Premium is £249 in the UK, launched at £299.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

That Mario and Luigi bundle night be what I need to finally jump in. Especially with Super Mario 3D World just around the corner from those dates. More if only it was coming to Canada

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Edmund Honda posted:

The Basic got discontinued. The Premium is £249 in the UK, launched at £299.

The Basic system is what they are going to be bundling with Wii U Party and Just Dance 2014

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Quest For Glory II posted:

They need to put their money where their mouth is. Their entire known upcoming lineup is composed of extremely safe software iterations with the expectation of the same results as prior titles, from DKCR2 to Mario Kart 8 to Smash Bros to Yarn Yoshi to Wii Sports: IAP Edition. They need to start surprising people. And I'm not necessarily talking new IPs. But new directions, new twists, new perspectives. And not worry about backlash for doing it because they'll get it regardless.

He wasn't talking about games as much as consoles. Nintendo always does something innovative with how you control the game (aside from maybe Gamecube which was just Nintendo doing it their own way) which usually isn't the status quo. Even the SNES, which has the most in common with its predecessor, introduced the shoulder buttons.

Going with a tablet was a new perspective. Trying to get the hardcore back was a new direction (compared to the Wii). I don't really know what Nintendo can do game wise that's going to get people who don't own a Wii U already. Heck when they announced Bayonetta 2, a game people really did want and never were going to get unless purchasing a Wii U, people bitched up a storm and a few people here even said they'd rather the game not be made at all than be on the Wii U. So even that can't satisfy some.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Am I crazy, or would this let Nintendo sell a poo poo ton of Wii U's:

Wii U games are sold normally, physically and through the e-shop
however, they give you access to a huge library of classic Nintendo titles with the purchase of a console.

Like, they should be able to afford to not sell age old games over and over again, but use free access to classic games as a way to move their new hardware.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
You're crazy. Why would I buy a WiiU to play classic games when I can emulate them for free and get the exact same experience?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TaurusOxford posted:

You're crazy. Why would I buy a WiiU to play classic games when I can emulate them for free and get the exact same experience?

Because playing on a game on a Nintendo console is a different feeling than playing a game on a PC.

I had Earthbound on my PC since like 1998, only a few years after it came out for the SNES. I could never really get into it. I bought it on the eShop for $10 and was immersed into it because there was just something authentic about the whole thing. It's hard to explain and I'm sure if you don't agree with it you'll consider it stupid but playing even Legend of Zelda through Animal Crossing on Gamecube feels like a more genuine experience than playing it on an emulator. It just feels right.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Okay, but maybe you want the new Wii U Zelda-game, but you're not sure, and then you realize woahhh hey I get easy access to a lotta cool games on this thing that's gonna be hooked up to my TV anyway!

I dunno. A lot of people made a buzz when Earthbound hit the e-shop. What if it was free?

e: kinda beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

For the same reason that anyone dug the Virtual Console in the first place. Not everybody is you.

• Locked thread