Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Werthog 95 posted:

can we all just agree that the longest journey was pretty much the best

no it was loving terrible

I mean it had some good ideas and I've got lingering nostalgia for it but my god, some of those puzzles...

even the creator is ashamed of its design, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
ps riven forever.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Werthog 95 posted:

can we all just agree that the neverhood was pretty much the best

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Werthog 95 posted:

can we all just agree that the longest journey was pretty much the best

neverhood was way too good

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

well if u like riven apparently some dudes are making a 3d version a la realmyst http://www.starryexpanse.com/

it's like two guys so maybe just check back in a decade

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Cocoa Crispies posted:

neverhood was way too good
:hfive:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh great another good old adventure game i missed out on

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
can we all just agree that every sierra adventure game was complete garbage?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Proteus4994 posted:

can we all just agree that every sierra adventure game was complete garbage?
i heard that space quest iv and king's quest vi were actually good, also they published rise of the dragon which is the best blade runner knockoff in any medium

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i heard that space quest iv and king's quest vi were actually good, also they published rise of the dragon which is the best blade runner knockoff in any medium

the space quest games were pretty funny (same with lsl) but the actual GAME part was really terrible. the whole meme about "pick up an item on the first screen and hold onto it until the last screen or else you lose" is literally describing sierra adventure games

i skipped most of the kings quest games so i dunno about them but i always heard those were the worst offenders

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Proteus4994 posted:

the space quest games were pretty funny (same with lsl) but the actual GAME part was really terrible. the whole meme about "pick up an item on the first screen and hold onto it until the last screen or else you lose" is literally describing sierra adventure games

i skipped most of the kings quest games so i dunno about them but i always heard those were the worst offenders
i know that but i got the impression that they were exceptions to that. maybe not the space quest but king's quest vi is specifically supposed to have laid off that approach after :cedric: took it to its extreme. not that i played either though so don't cite me on it.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I remember gabriel knight 1 being good but the sequels sucked

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

oh also i'm excluding sierra's hilariously awesomely cheesy FMV adventure games like Phantasmagoria

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Werthog 95 posted:

oh great another good old adventure game i missed out on
what's weird about the neverhood is that basically nobody really played it or knew about it when it came out unless they were lucky enough to get it with their computers (:v:) and after a decade or so it somehow became the great lost classic adventure game. like one day it's just that weird clay game that nobody else knows about and then it's on top ten lists everywhere and then the spiritual sequel's kickstarter pulls a million dollars :psyduck:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

~Coxy posted:

I remember gabriel knight 1 being good but the sequels sucked
i'd forgotten that it was a sierra game, definitely a classic

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the worst part about uru is that it stands for u r u

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i know that but i got the impression that they were exceptions to that. maybe not the space quest but king's quest vi is specifically supposed to have laid off that approach after :cedric: took it to its extreme. not that i played either though so don't cite me on it.
I still remember being stuck at Styx and being unable to return and get the item I needed and should have had from way way back with no real indication I needed it. I probably missed something obvious since I was a kid, but it was pretty frustrating. Otherwise it was pretty good about making most things either clear enough if you looked around, or better to return for.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

The Dig was the best adventure game because its the only one I played as a baby

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

My brother and I would sit behind my dad and watch him play myst and riven for hours and it was great dadsrule dads #dads :allears:

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

My brother and I would sit behind my dad and watch him play myst and riven for hours and it was great dadsrule dads #dads :allears:

i played ico with 2 of my friends and we took turns holding the controller while chiming in with puzzle suggestions it was awesome

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
7th guest

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Dr. Honked posted:

fancier parsers

mods

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i wanna be a computerdad

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Sierra games are all trash. Riven is the only good Myst.

That is all.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i was never able to get past the first area in riven

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

you have to spin the thing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

penus de milo posted:

i wouldn't mind going to that just for the subject matter :/

the subject matter was poo poo, too

the slide deck was discussing 2010's hottest design trends in 2013. wow i've never seen microsoft metro before!!!!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Install Windows posted:

i get that myst was popular originally because ~beautiful pre rendered 640x480 graphics~ in 1992 or whatever but whats the appeal in it past that.

it was a middling at best graphic adventure and the sequels didn't really improve on it either

640x480 with full motion video overlaid on it was nothing to laugh at in 1994, nobody else was even coming close

also the premise was pretty unusual for an adventure game. no exposition to speak of, really strange locations, no people or animals or really anything that could surprise/kill you

it hasn't aged well tho

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

The Dig was the best adventure game because its the only one I played as a baby

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

same

JawnV6 posted:

7th guest

I hear this is actually real bad but I liked it when I was a childe

nostalgiadventures

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

PleasingFungus posted:

I hear this is actually real bad but I liked it when I was a childe

nostalgiadventures

the puzzles in 7th guest are really loving bad but the atmosphere and setting is p awesome

was 7th guest the one that had the chess puzzle where it's almost impossible to beat on a modern pc because it searches so far down the game tree that you'd have to be bobby fischer to beat it? i think it was but it might have been one of the other puzzle games

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Proteus4994 posted:

the puzzles in 7th guest are really loving bad but the atmosphere and setting is p awesome

was 7th guest the one that had the chess puzzle where it's almost impossible to beat on a modern pc because it searches so far down the game tree that you'd have to be bobby fischer to beat it? i think it was but it might have been one of the other puzzle games

7th guest had one of those, but so did a lot of other adventure games at the time.

a lot of them were subsequently rereleased with ai limiters so that the puzzles would stay the proper difficulty.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

holy poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Proteus4994 posted:

7th guest was a fmv demo pretending to be a game

11th hour was not really any better

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
the 11th hour's cover art freaked me out when i was like 6

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

7th guest was a fmv demo pretending to be a game

11th hour was not really any better

p much every fmv adventure game was a demo pretending to be a game

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
things might have gone differently if good quality video compression was available at the time and runnable on the various systems. because what we got out of it was typically under an hour of unique video if it was high quality or a few hours at low quality on each CD.

and since 90% of the game were relying on the video to hold your interest it was a killer

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
how about the great innovations in 'alone in the dark'? CPU loop based timed keyboard input for different function(s)/speed(s)? That's a keeper!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Proteus4994 posted:

the chess puzzle was just the old put 8 or so queens on the board so none can attack the others or something

the hexxagon puzzle was the unbeatable one but you had the option to beat the game without finishing them all, which annoyed my 13 y/o completionist self to no end

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Proteus4994 posted:

p much every fmv adventure game was a demo pretending to be a game

excuse me i will beat you into the ground if you DARE insult my beloved sewer shark again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
kings quest owned

• Locked thread