Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Evil_Urna posted:

Diazepam is not super dangerous. Wikipedia says someone jacked 2 grams of it and walked away 48 hours later. I would imagine that it would make your last few minutes of pants making GBS threads terror and agony in a chemical attack a lot more bearable to you and the people around you. I would rather someone just shoot me though.

It's Valium. Most of you report drinking habits that put a standard dose to shame. You can certainly OD on it though; all benzodiazepines can lower heart rate, blood pressure, and respiratory drive at sufficient doses (and are thus used in anesthesia).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Signaleer posted:

I forgot about this one. When the Russians invaded Georgia back in 2008 I was in Iraq. I was watching CNN in the TOC with a MSG as they started showing BMPs rolling across the border. MSG was elated.

:mil101: Woohoo! Finally, we're not the only ones willing to go after these cave dwelling terrorist fucks. I hope they kill every last one of those bastards.

Aside from being a predominantly Christian country, Georgia was part of that whole coalition of the willing deal and a close American ally. There were Georgians on our FOB until the poor bastards got flown out to go fight the Russians or whatever. I don't think he ever grasped that. NCOs lead the way!

We were stuck with a Georgian contingent in OIFII.

I was pulling for Putin.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

GD_American posted:

I was pulling for Putin.

That was always the weird part about visiting Warhorse. The Georgians.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Always saw them on our weekly trips to the Green Zone to get pogey bait and junk. They seemed like okay dudes but I never personally interacted with them.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Whoops, wrong thread.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

GD_American posted:

I was pulling for Putin.

We had a Georgian platoon working on our base in 2008. Dudes were Slavic as gently caress. When they went to our gym, it always smelled like sweaty-boiled beets and cabbage after they were done doing their power lifting routines with those old timey triangle weights and poo poo.

When Georgia was invaded, they were hooting and hollering about how much Russian rear end they were going to kick. Meanwhile, we were getting a poo poo ton of reports on how many old loaned-out Abrams and such that the Russians were streamrolling. Out took about 24 hours and a Blackhawk for their side of the base to turn into a ghost town. When they left, our top wondered aloud how many of them would end up in a mass unmarked grave. I spent the rest of the deployment going to a beet-free gym.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Did 50 foot ant scare everyone off posting their own stories? He's a great storyteller but his stories are made up, so please don't stop...

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always

Hydrolith posted:

Did 50 foot ant scare everyone off posting their own stories? He's a great storyteller but his stories are made up, so please don't stop...

everybody already knows this and no one cares

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ghost bones posted:

everybody already knows this and no one cares

they're a fun read who cares

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
And generally believable, which is depressing.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

A good story deserves a little embellishment. And a REALLY good storyteller can spin yarns out of thin air, and as long as it's really well done, nobody should really care.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The only thing worse than having to mousewheel past a 50 ft Ant post is having to mousewheel past said post and the stupid loving posts that always come next.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Rough Lobster posted:

The only thing worse than having to mousewheel past a 50 ft Ant post is having to mousewheel past said post and the stupid loving posts that always come next.

:frogout:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rough Lobster posted:

Oh, sorry you don't enjoy entertaining stories. Here's a Real Life Military Story™ for you: Sometimes a guy says "Man, that lunch is killing me" leans over and farts on the guy next to him who also farts a lot. Hope you enjoyed that riveting real life military experience.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

im just so tired of all this mouse wheeling :qq:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

50FA owns.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Rough Lobster posted:

Well you can go away then and never come back. It'll save your precious mouse wheel some wear and tear.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Iraqis who worked in the Green Zone in 2006 told me that they expected more professionalism from the Iraqi Police than they did from the Georgians. They were slightly less corrupt but only because they were way more incompetent.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
I like all these lurkers nobody ever heard of coming out of the wood work just to hate on 50FA. GiP obviously loves his stories. When you have something of equal or greater value to contribute, then you can have a voice.
:frogout:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Rough Lobster posted:

Have you tried using the Page Down button instead?

Or perhaps castration?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
All of the stories in The Things They Carried are fake too. So what? They're have an air of authenticity about them and they're generally similar to the kinds of things people actually experienced in Vietnam. Similarly, 50FA is writing embellished but believable stories about the kinds of things people did in garrison in Germany during the Cold War. They might not be true true, but they capture quite vividly the experience of being in that environment so there is still arguably a sense of "truth" to them. Plus they're fun to read.

I guess you could quibble about the fact that The Things They Carried was very up-front about the stories being fictional, but I don't think it matters much here.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
And yet GiP hated the Hurt Locker.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Fat Twitter Man posted:

50FA isn't making me people think EOD is just a bunch of retards running around.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

gleep gloop posted:

50FA isn't making me people think EOD is just a bunch of retards running around.

Are you trying to tell me this is not the case?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
I don't know man, I know a lot of EOD guys and most of them run around all retarded like.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Vasudus posted:

Are you trying to tell me this is not the case?

Well most aren't the Hurt Locker kind of retarded. Now Afghans doing EOD work...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

gleep gloop posted:

Well most aren't the Hurt Locker kind of retarded. Now Afghans doing EOD work...

Iraq EOD is best. Here's an IED detecting stick. Good luck!

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

Fat Twitter Man posted:

don't forget that we only enjoy fake things if they're entertaining

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 31, 2017

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Stop telling me 50 Foot Ant's stories are fake. I really want to believe. :ohdear:

GreenMeat
Sep 2, 2002
slow mutant

Oxford Comma posted:

Stop telling me 50 Foot Ant's stories are fake. I really want to believe. :ohdear:

as someone who was in the army during 50FA's stint, I can tell you that his stories are entirely plausible.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

50 Foot Ant posted:

I swear to God, one of these days I'm going to meet someone, they'll tell me they were in the Army, I'll ask what they did, and they'll say: "I was a cook." and I'll buy them a loving beer. Swear to God.

There was this really overweight guy working at the Subway near my clinic who kept giving me a free cookie every time I went there. He said it was because he used to be in the Army. One day I asked him what he used to do, expecting to hear that he was Delta or something like that, but he said he was a cook.

So there you go. Army cooks are all working for Subway now and are still fat.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

50 Foot Ant posted:

A friend of mine just started dating this guy in college. She came over to ask me a few things, and I wanted to just bust up laughing. Big surprise that he doesn't want to meet her other friends.

This guy graduated pretty locally (in this state) but claims to have been in the IDF and have dual citizenship.
Claims to have been a sniper. (Oooh, saw this coming)
Claims to have had to shoot a 6 year old girl wired with C-4 AND carrying a grenade who had been told to go up and hug people. (See above, these two are always linked, this train's never late. How the gently caress did he know what she was told to do?)
Claims to have gone through jump training, and his primary and backup didn't open, and the guy above him was knocked out so he had to grab the other guy and pull the cord but they were going too fast and hit the ground and he spend 4 weeks on the hospital.

I mean, it could have happened. Some people have lovely luck. But it's #2 & #3 that set off the alarm bells.

What is it with the "I was in the military" to "I was a sniper" to "I shot kids" line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMZZ5lXZFMk

For actual content, at DLI my friend and I invented a game called Fire Chicken. How it worked was we'd get our six packs and pizza, go out to the patio behind the PX, and find some people we didn't know with open seats by the railing. We'd sit with them, eat the pizza and get buzzed, then one of us would pull out a lighter and set the empty box on fire. Whoever acknowledged the fire first and tried to put it out lost. We eventually had to retire the game when we got the entire box once and neither of us even thought to extinguish it.

Cut to a few months later, we're up there drinking again when someone sitting right by the window decides he and his friends get to play Fire Chicken! Someone inside notices, calls the cops, and the guy spends a good bit of time lying to the officer about where the fire came from.

I'm sorry no one died in my story.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ya I got a taxi one night from a bar in OKC which is an AWACS town if there ever was any and the driver swore he flew on the E-3 as a radar tech which is totally believable but then he went on about how part of his job was to clamber up the struts and into the dome for maintenance during flight. So......probably not true. Fakers need to get their poo poo straight. Just lie and say you were a cop.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Just lie and say you were a cop.
Even fakers know how lame being a cop is. You might say that the only people who don't know are themselves cops.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Here's a 100% fool proof faker story: USAF security forces (call yourself SF for street cred but that could bring unwanted attention if you meet a legit AF cop) who deployed once to Afghanistan and did a few TDY's to Texas. Boom! Most uninteresting career ever. Enjoy your stolen valor.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Here's a 100% fool proof faker story: USAF security forces (call yourself SF for street cred but that could bring unwanted attention if you meet a legit AF cop) who deployed once to Afghanistan and did a few TDY's to Texas. Boom! Most uninteresting career ever. Enjoy your stolen valor.

I got to watch a USAF security forces guy blow his own foot off on camera when BAF got hit in May 2010.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

gleep gloop posted:

I got to watch a USAF security forces guy blow his own foot off on camera when BAF got hit in May 2010.

Wait what? He himself did it? Story time, Mr. Fhloop.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Wait what? He himself did it? Story time, Mr. Fhloop.

Well BAF had a wire breech and these security forces dudes roll up on where it was reported to be. I guess they didn't really believe it because they just kind of sauntered around without looking. They both had M16s while the .50 cal on their humvee just sat their chilling. Anyway the Afghan dude (In ACUs) who was laying next to the wire sat up and SF McBadass fumbled with his 16 and shot himself square in the drat boot. His buddy panicked, started to run away, turned and fired like 4 shots at nothing then helped his buddy to the humvee where they said lol bye and drove off, leaving the unarmed contractors and like 3 random Joes to cower in a bunker while the Afghans shot small arms fire and RPGs at them. Until a pair of Apaches went buck rear end wild and blew everything to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

gleep gloop posted:

Well BAF had a wire breech and these security forces dudes roll up on where it was reported to be. I guess they didn't really believe it because they just kind of sauntered around without looking. They both had M16s while the .50 cal on their humvee just sat their chilling. Anyway the Afghan dude (In ACUs) who was laying next to the wire sat up and SF McBadass fumbled with his 16 and shot himself square in the drat boot. His buddy panicked, started to run away, turned and fired like 4 shots at nothing then helped his buddy to the humvee where they said lol bye and drove off, leaving the unarmed contractors and like 3 random Joes to cower in a bunker while the Afghans shot small arms fire and RPGs at them. Until a pair of Apaches went buck rear end wild and blew everything to poo poo.

I would've paid a lot of money to have seen this all play out IRL. gently caress let's just make it mandatory that everyone has to wear a GoPro at all times.