Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Alright, 404 has less than a day left, but is only about 500 Euro from its 20k stretch goal.

3DTotal Games also came up with a new reward-tier which goes for an insane 300 Euro, but it unlocks new features for everybody (for instance, if 5 people pledge on that level they'll unlock the Doughnut Station for everyone even if they don't reach the 25k mark), gives the backer higher quality miniatures, and also puts the backer's name in the rules book and Doughnut Station map if it's unlocked that way (or maybe in any case as long as the map is made). There's more details in the latest update.

Someone already pledged on that level, unlocking a new event card I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Note that "higher quality miniatures" includes one that is gold plated.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

jammu posted:

Hopefully that improves the Reliability of the company. Still I wouldn't risk my money pre-ordering from until they have few projects published on time.
Just out of curiosity how unreliable is the company in terms of the public perception.
EDIT:
This should go in the industry thread.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 8, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Damnit Mantic, just put stretch goals in the box this credit thing is BS.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Basius Basing Pad survey is in my email inbox, go check yours if you backed.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

NTRabbit posted:

The Basius Basing Pad survey is in my email inbox, go check yours if you backed.

Too bad they weren't smart enough to use a pledge manager. I don't see this ending well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

LumberingTroll posted:

Too bad they weren't smart enough to use a pledge manager. I don't see this ending well.

They only have 287 backers, maybe they decided they don't need one. Looks like they're going to parse the excel files for the data somehow as a substitute.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Okay, I wasn't sure about this KS at first but from looking over their website and talking to the guy running it, I feel okay about it.

So, I present: Glamazons vs the Curse of the Chainmail Bikini. I think it does a nice job of showing off just how ridiculous art for female characters gets, and the game looks all right. Not something you'll do all night, but a nice time-filler with some fun gimmicks. At least, I like the paper doll gimmick.

Now, the art's inherently going to be cheesecakey on account of being outright tattoo flash by a pinup artist-- I was a bit worried when I went to their website and saw some preliminary sketches with some serious boobplate, and that being too close to what's being mocked. But it was just sketches, so I backed, and the guy running it sent one of those thank-you messages, so I asked about it. And I was reasurred that yeah, the finals shouldn't be so boobplatey.

Good thing I did notice in the sketches was that a lot of the art is very clearly not solely white women, that's going to stay that way, is what I was told.

So yeah, I backed it, I think it should be fun.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

neongrey posted:

Okay, I wasn't sure about this KS at first but from looking over their website and talking to the guy running it, I feel okay about it.

So, I present: Glamazons vs the Curse of the Chainmail Bikini. I think it does a nice job of showing off just how ridiculous art for female characters gets, and the game looks all right. Not something you'll do all night, but a nice time-filler with some fun gimmicks. At least, I like the paper doll gimmick.

Now, the art's inherently going to be cheesecakey on account of being outright tattoo flash by a pinup artist-- I was a bit worried when I went to their website and saw some preliminary sketches with some serious boobplate, and that being too close to what's being mocked. But it was just sketches, so I backed, and the guy running it sent one of those thank-you messages, so I asked about it. And I was reasurred that yeah, the finals shouldn't be so boobplatey.

Good thing I did notice in the sketches was that a lot of the art is very clearly not solely white women, that's going to stay that way, is what I was told.

So yeah, I backed it, I think it should be fun.

That art is way too far over the line for me to give them any amount of money on a reassurance of change. Pretty sure I saw this show up in the Awful kickstarter thread already, because god drat look at these sketches:

Christ, not to mention how pink and stereotypically girly it all is (Fashion! Lying best friends!). This isn't doing poo poo besides reinforcing stereotypes while trying to pretend it's above it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

It's a fair cop, and I can't blame anyone if it's too much for them, but from reading up some and talking to the guy, I'm fairly satisfied that it's a good-faith effort. A flawless one? Of course not, but it's one I'm okay with.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just happened to stumble across this little gem: Unwritten: Adventures in the Ages of Myst and Beyond.

A Fate Core-Powered RPG set in the world of the Myst computer games. This is literally everything I ever could ask for from an project like this. Some of the reward tiers are a little pricey, but if you just want a base PDF, its a very reasonable $10. $25 gets you expansion PDFs and beta access to the rules, and $50 gets you a paperback hard-copy of the book.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

jammu posted:

I wouldn't pledge/pre-order anything done by Defiance games. Buy if and when you find them in stores.

This is their highly optimistic take on 2012 schedule:

First two were delayed for months, while pre-orders were rolling in, Third looks surprisingly similar to the Kickstarter material.

Guy who founded the Defiance games, is the same guy that founded the Wargames Foundry (notorious for delays) & lost it to his Chinese funders.

Yeah, they have quite a reputation for being erratic. The figures are very nice, but I've cancelled my pledge and will just buy them when and if they hit the shelves.

Thanks to this thread, I've also put in for "Three Days to Retirement". Can't wait to try it out.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Haha -I got an email from this guy this morning. He's in a local boardgaming group (that I haven't bothered to show up for yet) and sent out a heads up to all the members of the group. I was wondering how long it would take to show up here and get ripped to shreds...

And I agree with CaptCommy - I'm not someone who is going to freak out over some cheesecake in gaming, but when you claim to be actively fighting the typical stereotypes and then design you game to look exactly like those stereotypes, you're going to have problems.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah I won't even say it's undeserved, the flak it's getting. I get that the before pictures are supposed to be especially ridiculous to show off the 'metal bikini armour really is ridiculous, isn't it' aspect, but it certainly had me waffling before I did come down in favour of backing it.

For me it was two things, really (well, three: I really like the paper doll gimmick okay :sparkles: ), that made me decide to back rather than not: one is that I'm okay with a well-intentioned failure if it's not too too far off the mark, and this falls just inside the borderline there for me personally. Two is that I was really sort of charmed by the ridiculous dresses he was wearing for the videos.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The sense I'm getting is that its really supposed to be so over the top ridiculous that you can't help but see that it is, but it's not coming through to the audience because the status quo is just that ridiculous already. The satire is too close to reality.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Yeah, actual satire would somehow demonstrate how ridiculous it was, those pictures are just scantily clad ridiculously proportioned women. I imagine the rest of the game isn't as bad? But if those are the pictures front and center on the kickstarter, it's not really sending the right message.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah I think at least some of that will shake out as work continues, but I don't think it'll go away entirely. It's certainly not helping now.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I wish Golem Arcana was doing better than it is. I like the idea I just dont know that it will take off. Jordan Wiseman is a great game designer though...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/golem-arcana

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Speakin of Golem Arcana, they just added in some more models to the $100 and up tiers in the most recent update.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Huh! Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. When I talked to Andy Hopp about conversions for Low Life, he said that when he finishes the new edition, he basically couldn't publish Savage Worlds and Pathfinder in the same tome, it'd have to be two different books. Maybe things have changed since the earlier days of Savage Worlds, Low Life came out much earlier. :raise:

Probably what it all means is conversion guides for various systems are fine to include but actual rule systems and the like aren't. I believe SW's Realms of Cthulhu has a conversion guide for Call of Cthulhu.

Mona Lisa Overdrive
May 7, 2006
Calculus Enthusiast

LumberingTroll posted:

I wish Golem Arcana was doing better than it is. I like the idea I just dont know that it will take off. Jordan Wiseman is a great game designer though...

I really like the look of it as well. I am holding off until the last minute when all the models are revealed and then I'll make my choice. I've been disappointed by pre-painted minis in the past but I sure as hell don't have any painting time lately so I am hoping they look okay.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The guys who made The Reward put out a trailer video for their progress on the extra episodes they kickstarted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F299CCkDFTA

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Regarding the Savage Worlds license... I believe Achtung! Cthulhu is a dual-statted book between Savage Worlds and Call of Cthulhu. It was billed as being that way, at least (in addition to a separate Fate Core version that was added as a stretch goal).

The Fate Core reboot of Dawning Star is approaching its stretch goal to get a bump up to full color. It already hit the goal for an increased page count, pushing it to ~320 pages. Its d20 version was considered quite a good science fiction setting by all accounts I've seen. It's also closing in on the end of its funding period.

Dragon Kings, the spiritual successor to Dark Sun, looks like it has leveled out and is making its slow push toward funding in about $6000. I would like to see this one fund to the 13th Age stretch goal, but I wouldn't have hurt feelings if it reached Fate Core also. I think the initial day limited its momentum to some degree, due to the way the pledge tiers were structured. Even with amendments made, it hasn't picked up a big enough boost, by the looks of it. I figured it was a shoe-in, considering how much love I hear expressed for Dark Sun, and this made by its (co?-)creator.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gasperkun posted:

Dragon Kings, the spiritual successor to Dark Sun, looks like it has leveled out and is making its slow push toward funding in about $6000. I would like to see this one fund to the 13th Age stretch goal, but I wouldn't have hurt feelings if it reached Fate Core also. I think the initial day limited its momentum to some degree, due to the way the pledge tiers were structured. Even with amendments made, it hasn't picked up a big enough boost, by the looks of it. I figured it was a shoe-in, considering how much love I hear expressed for Dark Sun, and this made by its (co?-)creator.

Over double funding for FATE rules unlock? Was that a later added stretch goal or do they just not really like Fate that much. Also, I was going to back that and then I saw the core rules were going to be Pathfinder, ugh.

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is pretty ok imho
Woo! Funded! It seems unlikely that we'll clear much over $6K, but if we do, do you dudes have stretch goal ideas? http://kck.st/1fOARmp

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Gasperkun posted:

I figured it was a shoe-in, considering how much love I hear expressed for Dark Sun, and this made by its (co?-)creator.

To me, Dark Sun is like Planescape: a fond memory and high point of 2E and my early adulthood, that simply can't be properly duplicated or replaced by modern systems or a vaguely uncomfortable delve into my stacks of AD&D-branded books.

That and as much as I like prog rock and concept albums, tying one together with a sight-unseen gaming supplement and asking a painfully high price for both told me that these guys either didn't realize that most people wouldn't give a gently caress about their musical stylings, or just didn't have any idea how to run a Kickstarter. In either case, regardless of pedigree, that didn't fill me with confidence in their focus on the project.

And eh, Pathfinder. I remember a crowdsourced effort to convert Dark Sun to 3E, way back when. It didn't end well, with multiple core conceits just... not translating cleanly at all. A GM so inclined could kitbash conversions appropriate to his group over a weekend, getting a sense of satisfaction, leaving twenty bucks in his pocket, and not having to wait however long for a PDF that may or may not actually meet his needs or expectations.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

jivjov posted:

Just happened to stumble across this little gem: Unwritten: Adventures in the Ages of Myst and Beyond.

A Fate Core-Powered RPG set in the world of the Myst computer games. This is literally everything I ever could ask for from an project like this. Some of the reward tiers are a little pricey, but if you just want a base PDF, its a very reasonable $10. $25 gets you expansion PDFs and beta access to the rules, and $50 gets you a paperback hard-copy of the book.

I've backed it, but I find it very weird that for a property based so extensively around magical books, they don't have any mockups of the book hardcopy. I mean this is probably one of the few properties where you could get people to shell out $100 or so to an unproven company for a leatherbound "pre-distressed" edition, or special fountain pens to fill out your character sheet, or whatnot. And they're not going there. Why?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That sort of thing is easy to get your hands on, too. It's weirdness like the pendant, or the quartet of customized FATE dice at the $250 pledge level, that get me. Physical bennies can be a serious threat to your bottom line, especially when they're weird things you can't order in bulk through Alibaba, and especially when you're probably looking at the average RPG kickstarter's very thin margins.

The 'write your own age' levels are going to go-- wait, nope, they're already gone. The second batch, too. That was clever.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

inklesspen posted:

I've backed it, but I find it very weird that for a property based so extensively around magical books, they don't have any mockups of the book hardcopy. I mean this is probably one of the few properties where you could get people to shell out $100 or so to an unproven company for a leatherbound "pre-distressed" edition, or special fountain pens to fill out your character sheet, or whatnot. And they're not going there. Why?

Hell, it'd work on me. Apparently there's a leather slipcover for one of the crazy-high tiers, but I want a 'loving fancy hardcover' Myst RPG book, but think several hundred dollars is a bit silly.

The thing with dice is that they'd probably cost less if they got a lot of people to buy in for them. Having to order a handful is likely going to be more hassle than ordering a few dozen.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kwyndig posted:

Over double funding for FATE rules unlock? Was that a later added stretch goal or do they just not really like Fate that much. Also, I was going to back that and then I saw the core rules were going to be Pathfinder, ugh.

A successor to a D&D campaign setting being made for Pathfinder? Well I never

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

LumberingTroll posted:

The models look amazing and in a style that hasn't been done to death... too bad about the digital component, though, to me it feels like more of a distraction than aaddition.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Hey folks, this is probably relevant here. There's going to be an official announcement Monday on the Kickstarter, but Nightfall (the 13th Age supplement) has transferred over to me and I'll be getting it out to backers. It was looking like it wasn't going to come out at all so I've stepped in to work with the lead writer and a talented team to save it.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Is anything big going to change in the tone/content? One of the reasons I hadn't backed it was because of how goofy it got but if its reigned in I might consider it after get fact. I loved last stand when I ran it as a two shot so this raises my hopes.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

If you're asking about Turbodracula, it is dead and gone and buried forever. I'm trying to be as hands-off as possible when it comes to Darren's writing, but he and I both agree that it needs to focus on the different kinds of horror and away from embarrassing forum memes. I'm not a fan of the unnecessary goofy stuff either.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, Accursed has two and a half days left and we just got put on the front page of EN World for our possible Pathfinder conversion.

Doctor Shadow
Dec 12, 2008
I hate goofy stuff unless it's meant to be a goofy game. One of the things I did was buried Turbodracula into the abyss from which it spawned. The name at least, the concept on the other hand is actually pretty workable if you look at it from an alchemical warforged construct perspective.

See Eberron (Alchemical Warforged) or General Blackblood from 2000AD.

The name, gone, the conccept of the clockwork realm was also reworked into more horror style. Imagine a mix of some of the elements of Clive Barker with clockwork robots, replacing defunt parts with human bits.

Clockraiser? Hmm, that invites innuendo!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"No gears, please. It's a waste of good suffering."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My friend's miniature case company is doing a Kickstarter for the launch of their new Tablewar mini case, which is designed to fit under the seat of an airplane. I own a regular one of their cases and have been happy with it for quite a while, it's flexible, breaks down into carry trays for mid tournament, and has a cool front clear panel so I can show off models without even getting them out of the case. Whole thing is based around metal trays on rails that can be slid out of a front door panel. Here's the new case:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/819121569/tablewartm-mini-case

and here's a few pictures of my original-size case to go over what they do:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

inklesspen posted:

My biggest headscratcher is that they called the $25 level "BOOK", but it does not actually come with a book, just a PDF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's finally happening! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogre-designers-edition/posts/625231

• Locked thread