Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Why is awful using 350mb of storage? iOS 7.02 iPhone 4S. Is this image caching? Is there a way to clear it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It should clear if you need the space.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

tehloki posted:

Why is awful using 350mb of storage? iOS 7.02 iPhone 4S. Is this image caching? Is there a way to clear it?

Logging out and in again should trigger the cache clearing

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Javid posted:

I'm randomly getting a bug where I can't scroll a thread at all. Everything else works, just not scrolling down past the first few posts on the page. The latest update didn't fix it either :|

That's not good. iPhone or iPad? iOS 5, 6, or 7? Does it happen on different threads or is it the same one every time?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know I asked this before, but is there any chance of adding an option to filter by thread tag? I use this a lot on the forums and for games especially, its nice to have.

Awww yiss, lovin the new sort by tag feature :hfive:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

pokeyman posted:

That's not good. iPhone or iPad? iOS 5, 6, or 7? Does it happen on different threads or is it the same one every time?

iPad 3. Ios7. If it happens, paging around that thread doesn't fix it, changing threads does. It's not a specific thread either, far as I can tell.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Javid posted:

iPad 3. Ios7. If it happens, paging around that thread doesn't fix it, changing threads does. It's not a specific thread either, far as I can tell.

Huh. I'll take a look!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

I didn't.

I didn't either. I went to go do it and I saw I was beaten to it :eng99:

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Huh. I'll take a look!

I also had it happen once on an iPad 2 on ios 7 and I also switched threads and the problem went away. Haven't been able to reproduce it, it's very sporadic.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Sorry if it's been brought up, but does anyone else find it near impossible to press the post button on the upper right hand corner. This is on an iPhone 5S. Just seems to have a very precise area to press to make it work.

e: Sorry just read back a few pages and saw someone had brought this up. Put this down as myself having the same issue.

OMGzKakaniz fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 11, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Sorry if it's been brought up, but does anyone else find it near impossible to press the post button on the upper right hand corner. This is on an iPhone 5S. Just seems to have a very precise area to press to make it work.

It's an iOS 7 thing that's come up before yeah. Not planning on addressing it until the actual iOS 7 version of the app is ready.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice

pokeyman posted:

It's an iOS 7 thing that's come up before yeah. Not planning on addressing it until the actual iOS 7 version of the app is ready.

Thanks for the update. Otherwise, love the app!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

pokeyman posted:

I get this on iPad 4 OS7 as well. Have to mark one post as last read and reboot to fix.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I had the same frozen thread (no scrolling allowed) happen this morning (iPad 3 iOS7) and I marked the thread that it happened in.
The very last post of this page and the first few posts of the following page caused the no scrolling bug:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3571857&pagenumber=30

I don't know if it's related to certain posters or just something that happens every so often.

Edit: went back to the thread on my iPad and now the posts are scrolling again. This is a weird-rear end bug.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 13, 2013

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've gotten this too, iPad4, iOS 7. A few times. Sometimes it will still scroll if you try to use two fingers instead of just one. Sometimes I can get it to kind of page down a bit using a double tap. It's weird, though, and infrequent.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

graventy posted:

I've gotten this too, iPad4, iOS 7. A few times. Sometimes it will still scroll if you try to use two fingers instead of just one. Sometimes I can get it to kind of page down a bit using a double tap. It's weird, though, and infrequent.

Good to know about the different gestures sometimes working. Still not sure what's going on but I have more of an idea now.

slashtom
Jan 5, 2012
VeteranX
Just wanted to say, great application. I do like the reduced size of the bottom toolbar. Is there any plans to make it iOS7 compatible for pms and such to auto push to us?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

slashtom posted:

Just wanted to say, great application. I do like the reduced size of the bottom toolbar. Is there any plans to make it iOS7 compatible for pms and such to auto push to us?

No plans, but the start of an idea :)

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
New bug: when I back out of a thread in to the sub-forum, it puts me at the top of the thread list rather than where I was when I entered the thread.

I've signed out and in, and deleted and reinstalled the app.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

goku chewbacca posted:

New bug: when I back out of a thread in to the sub-forum, it puts me at the top of the thread list rather than where I was when I entered the thread.

I've signed out and in, and deleted and reinstalled the app.

Should be fixed this week!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

graventy posted:

The same thing is happening to me with the YouTube app. Also iOS 7 ipad 4. Not in awful though.

Also getting that problem with buttons in the upper right not working in other apps. I guess maybe iOS 7 is kinda screwy?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

BrainDance posted:

Also getting that problem with buttons in the upper right not working in other apps. I guess maybe iOS 7 is kinda screwy?

I'm seeing it in various apps too. I'm thinking there's something in iOS 7, intentional or not, that's causing it. I'll see if I can work around it, but no promises.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've been having a problem with the app where I can't hit the new reply button in a thread (maybe its a sign). I had to hit it like 10 times before it let me make this reply. It's like the "hitbox" for the button is super tiny.

iPhone 5 on ios 7.0.2
App version 1.11.8

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've been having a problem with the app where I can't hit the new reply button in a thread (maybe its a sign). I had to hit it like 10 times before it let me make this reply. It's like the "hitbox" for the button is super tiny.

iPhone 5 on ios 7.0.2
App version 1.11.8

It's an iOS 7 thing. I'll fix it if I can.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I'm sure people have said it here before but I'll just add to that chorus if that's the case--I'd much rather be able to look at post history and especially posts by a user in a given thread than look at their rap sheet or be able to open a post in safari or whatever.

So as not to be resoundingly negative, thanks for all the hard work you all put into a really great app. Seriously. :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Gio posted:

I'm sure people have said it here before but I'll just add to that chorus if that's the case--I'd much rather be able to look at post history and especially posts by a user in a given thread than look at their rap sheet or be able to open a post in safari or whatever.

So as not to be resoundingly negative, thanks for all the hard work you all put into a really great app. Seriously. :)

You can filter a thread by a specific user. It's the bluish green icon in the user actions menu.

Total post history is trickier because then you're getting into search which isn't implemented in the app at all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pokeyman posted:

It's an iOS 7 thing. I'll fix it if I can.

Cool :hfive:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I don't know what other color would work, but in dark mode the spoiler tags show up as huge blocks of white. It's seems super bright when most thread is darker, or maybe it's just me.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but…

Copied an old gold mined thread link to the clipboard and opened it with awful. Loaded, navigated, and read the thread without issue, and had backed out to either bookmarks or forum list. After switching to other apps and then back to awful, awful would splash screen then crash to springboard, although would still show in running apps. Deleted and reinstalled, now with newest update. I could login and everything would be fine until switching apps, then it would crash as described again.

I put a non-forums link in the clipboard and now everything seems to be fine again. iOS7 5c.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

basmati posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but…

Copied an old gold mined thread link to the clipboard and opened it with awful. Loaded, navigated, and read the thread without issue, and had backed out to either bookmarks or forum list. After switching to other apps and then back to awful, awful would splash screen then crash to springboard, although would still show in running apps. Deleted and reinstalled, now with newest update. I could login and everything would be fine until switching apps, then it would crash as described again.

I put a non-forums link in the clipboard and now everything seems to be fine again. iOS7 5c.

I'll take a look. Do you happen to remember the thread whose URL you copied?

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

pokeyman posted:

I'll take a look. Do you happen to remember the thread whose URL you copied?

A pretty retarted one.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Keeping it in the clipboard and canceling opening with awful seems to be a non-issue as well.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Alright, I'm on the hunt. Thanks!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When you follow a link to another SA comment, it seems to be missing a loading indicator of any kind, so it just freezes the device up if you're connection isn't great. Wasn't sure what was going on there.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

smackfu posted:

When you follow a link to another SA comment, it seems to be missing a loading indicator of any kind, so it just freezes the device up if you're connection isn't great. Wasn't sure what was going on there.

Do you have the link handy? There should be a loading indicator when necessary, so I'd like to see which code path leads to confusion,

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ah, I think it's just when you click the source link in quotes and the target is on another page. Like go to page 86 in this thread, and click on Keska's username before the quote in your comment which is the first on the page. That hangs my iPhone 5 for five seconds or so.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

smackfu posted:

Ah, I think it's just when you click the source link in quotes and the target is on another page. Like go to page 86 in this thread, and click on Keska's username before the quote in your comment which is the first on the page. That hangs my iPhone 5 for five seconds or so.

I get this too and a loading indicator of some kind would be nice.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

smackfu posted:

Good find, that's very slow. And that greatly narrows down what could be going on, thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not to start a pissing match with other app developers, but.. :v:

right arm posted:

just wanted to say that holy poo poo coming from the awful piece of poo poo that is the galaxy nexus, the 5s is like the best phone ever

it's nice having an awful app that isn't a turd like the android one too

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3554018&perpage=40&pagenumber=94#post420660423

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I've seen a few go the other way but that's the first one going this way. Love it!

(Sorry Awful.apkailires.)

• Locked thread