Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Much obliged!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
For the record, Matt is totally full of poo poo about Sunday in the Park with George. :colbert:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Metal Loaf posted:

The one on the right is a spoonerism away from that "the kike known as Sabretooth" misprint in Wolverine.

What's all this, then?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So, to recap: Rob Liefeld ripped off his Marvel ripoff of a DC character...for a DC book. Don't think about that too hard, or your ears will start bleeding.

theflyingorc posted:

What's all this, then?

It was supposed to be killer, somebody tried to fix what they thought was a smudge or typo, and that's what they came up with.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Homage or just plagiarism?

I did an overlap comparison and Liefeld wasn't up to his old lightbox tricks (or what is now known as "Landing"). There's a lot of differences. It is likely that he referenced the cover for layout, but it's completely redrawn.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Say Nothing posted:

Homage or just plagiarism?

Whoa, the characters in the Liefeld drawing sport no pouches! :psyduck:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Random Stranger posted:

I did an overlap comparison and Liefeld wasn't up to his old lightbox tricks (or what is now known as "Landing"). There's a lot of differences. It is likely that he referenced the cover for layout, but it's completely redrawn.
This caused me to look at the pictures again and I just noticed Pike's left foot disappearing behind his arm because ~Liefeld~, and the sword handle being attached to his wrist. :allears:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Maybe they're secretly kangaroos?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Again there is no way that was not intentional. Like even their story of someone trying to fix it. Like wait what?? You saw it smudged and assumed they were trying to write kike.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Hollis posted:

Again there is no way that was not intentional. Like even their story of someone trying to fix it. Like wait what?? You saw it smudged and assumed they were trying to write kike.

Well, who's the character giving the monologue? The Red Skull?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

I could have told you that just looking at the feet.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Pretty sure it's a homage since Liefeld's signature on that Hawkman cover has "AFTER GC" below it. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

I like to think that Liefeld is even bad at tracing. He probably kept bumping the tracing paper around by accident and the body parts ended up in different locations due to that.

Regardless of whether he traced... Both covers by both people have terrible, terrible anatomy and perspective.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tony Stark gets a little jealous of other people not having life-threatening heart problems, so he puts a nuclear-powered pacemaker into Bruce Banner and things don't go as expected.

Invincible Iron Man #132 (this issue has some bloody amazing onomatopoeia)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Hollis posted:

I'm not sure. When I heard about this story (it was some time in the mid to late 90s) I didn't know what the word "kike" meant. I didn't know it was a derogeratory name at all. Hell I didn't even know it was a word.

I think it's entirely possible someone was looking at a really smudged script, had spent ages trying to work out what word it was supposed to be, and just decided to go with whatever it looked like to get it done. It's completely plausible that this was, while unfortunate, unintentional.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

I'm not sure. When I heard about this story (it was some time in the mid to late 90s) I didn't know what the word "kike" meant. I didn't know it was a derogeratory name at all. Hell I didn't even know it was a word.

It was a Brian K. Vaughan fill-in script (based on a plot by Todd DeZago, and one of the earliest stories he had professionally published for either of the Big Two); it originally read "the assassin known as Sabretooth" and the editor changed it to "killer" which the letterer mistook for "kike".

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
That editor must have a doctor's handwriting or something, then.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

From that same page. This is beyond amazing:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting myself from the X-Men thread. X-Men #6: Psylocke has to fight while hanging on to Jubilee's kid.

TwoPair posted:

Here ya go!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I am so out of the loop - I hadn't even really been aware Jubilee was a vampire, now she has a kid, too? How does that even work?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Jerusalem posted:

I am so out of the loop - I hadn't even really been aware Jubilee was a vampire, now she has a kid, too? How does that even work?

Adopted. Sublime's sister was riding in him or something, and she just kept him after the mission she found him on.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
Can't wait for the kid to be revealed as a Skrull clone of Magneto.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Majuju posted:

Can't wait for the kid to be revealed as a Skrull clone of Magneto.

Who's secretly Xorn pretending to be the Skrull clone of Magneto.

Pretending to be Shogo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Who's secretly Xorn pretending to be the Skrull clone of Magneto.

Who is in fact his heretofore unmentioned secret twin brother, who's actually a Space Phantom who simply thinks he's a Skrull.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
We can go deeper. Marvel can go deeper.

He will be revealed to be every being, alive or dead, in the Marvel universe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just think it's funny that Jubilee of all people is one of the only Kid Superheroes (tm) who actually aged.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Kitty aged too! Well, I guess, depending on how old she was supposed to be when she joined the X-Men.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well one of the Power Pack is old enough to be in superhero rehab for a bit.

While her older brother is still a kid and palling around with the FF. Marvel's weird that way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

Well one of the Power Pack is old enough to be in superhero rehab for a bit.

While her older brother is still a kid and palling around with the FF. Marvel's weird that way.

He's not actually supposed to be a kid, it seems to be a stylistic choice that has just kind of become status quo. When he first joined the FF he was drawn to be more of an older teenager/young adult.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Duh, everyone knows girls mature faster.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

TwoPair posted:

Kitty aged too! Well, I guess, depending on how old she was supposed to be when she joined the X-Men.

I'm pretty sure Kitty has aged and de-aged a few times.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

WickedHate posted:

We can go deeper. Marvel can go deeper.

He will be revealed to be every being, alive or dead, in the Marvel universe.

The final Marvel comic ever published will end with that child staring into a snow globe.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

muscles like this? posted:

He's not actually supposed to be a kid, it seems to be a stylistic choice that has just kind of become status quo. When he first joined the FF he was drawn to be more of an older teenager/young adult.

When he joined up, hadn't he just gotten his degree from college or something, and Reed was all,"Awww that's cute, you've got one degree :3:" ?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

goatface posted:

Duh, everyone knows girls mature faster.
Is Julie Power still dating Karolina from the Runaways?
Avengers Academy #26.

Molly-blocked!

They were in dating in #29.

Also, Rockslide was right to make fun of Transonic for wandering around naked.
Does she not realize her butt is showing?
Generation Hope #12.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 11, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

The thing is, Alex is two years older than Julie. Alex is roughly 17 or 18 in some issues of FF while in others he seems to be about 14 or 15. Julie is 22 or 23 in her initial appearances in Runaways before getting deaged a bit for later appearances involving them like in Young Avengers. Katie, on the other hand, is always 5 even when she's supposed to be the same age as Franklin who seems to have been allowed to become about 8. Basically, there was no coordination or checking on how old the Power kids were supposed to be and every just makes them the age they want for their story.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Warning: Exposure to alien power sources may cause premature aging, stunted growth, inconsistent appearances.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Random Stranger posted:

The thing is, Alex is two years older than Julie. Alex is roughly 17 or 18 in some issues of FF while in others he seems to be about 14 or 15. Julie is 22 or 23 in her initial appearances in Runaways before getting deaged a bit for later appearances involving them like in Young Avengers. Katie, on the other hand, is always 5 even when she's supposed to be the same age as Franklin who seems to have been allowed to become about 8. Basically, there was no coordination or checking on how old the Power kids were supposed to be and every just makes them the age they want for their story.

Hazards of time travel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I still hate that they made Julie Power and Karolina a couple. I even called that stupid poo poo when they announced that the Runaways would be in AA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I still hate that they made Julie Power and Karolina a couple. I even called that stupid poo poo when they announced that the Runaways would be in AA.

I wouldn't have minded it as much if their entire reason for making Julie a lesbian didn't boil down to "Well, she makes rainbows when she flies. Rainbows are like, totally gay, right?" Seriously, I think somebody literally says that in the comic.

• Locked thread