Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

HOLY poo poo THIS GAME:

I believe that's one copy he's carrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I remain torn on my decision not to pauper myself for a month in order to get in on that.

Moon Wizard
Dec 29, 2011

Mikan posted:

Hey folks, this is probably relevant here. There's going to be an official announcement Monday on the Kickstarter, but Nightfall (the 13th Age supplement) has transferred over to me and I'll be getting it out to backers. It was looking like it wasn't going to come out at all so I've stepped in to work with the lead writer and a talented team to save it.

Are you still going to be using the same artist? He was one of the big reasons I backed and I haven't seen much about the art in a while.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Gasperkun posted:

Dragon Kings, the spiritual successor to Dark Sun, looks like it has leveled out and is making its slow push toward funding in about $6000. I would like to see this one fund to the 13th Age stretch goal, but I wouldn't have hurt feelings if it reached Fate Core also. I think the initial day limited its momentum to some degree, due to the way the pledge tiers were structured. Even with amendments made, it hasn't picked up a big enough boost, by the looks of it. I figured it was a shoe-in, considering how much love I hear expressed for Dark Sun, and this made by its (co?-)creator.

Dunno about other people, but I haven't backed because
1) It may be by one of the main people behind Dark Sun and it may be trading on Dark Sun nostalgia, but it isn't Dark Sun, and my brief reconnaissance couldn't turn up much in the way of actual concrete detail about what it -is-.
2) The PDFs are too expensive for a pig in a poke.
3) It uses a ruleset I don't particularly care for and promises conversion for ones I might be willing to use only as stretch goals that haven't happened yet.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

DaVideo posted:

Are you still going to be using the same artist? He was one of the big reasons I backed and I haven't seen much about the art in a while.

Absolutely. Obfuscobble/Sam is my favorite RPG artist to work with and if he weren't already attached to Nightfall I'd be tempted to rope him in anyway.

I'm not going to make any big changes to the project. My role is really just to make sure it actually releases and make the transition as painless as possible both for the existing creative team and the backers.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

moths posted:

HOLY poo poo THIS GAME:

I believe that's one copy he's carrying.

Yeah, in a previous update they showed the guys in the factory packing those boxes with a single game.
I love Ogre, and I'm super happy it's coming but I have no idea where I'm going to put this thing.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

theironjef posted:

My friend's miniature case company is doing a Kickstarter for the launch of their new Tablewar mini case, which is designed to fit under the seat of an airplane. I own a regular one of their cases and have been happy with it for quite a while, it's flexible, breaks down into carry trays for mid tournament, and has a cool front clear panel so I can show off models without even getting them out of the case. Whole thing is based around metal trays on rails that can be slid out of a front door panel. Here's the new case:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/819121569/tablewartm-mini-case

and here's a few pictures of my original-size case to go over what they do:

These look really cool, I would back them but I think I would like the larger half tower size better. Either way you earned your friend a new customer.

Germ
May 7, 2013

theironjef posted:

My friend's miniature case company is doing a Kickstarter for the launch of their new Tablewar mini case, which is designed to fit under the seat of an airplane. I own a regular one of their cases and have been happy with it for quite a while, it's flexible, breaks down into carry trays for mid tournament, and has a cool front clear panel so I can show off models without even getting them out of the case. Whole thing is based around metal trays on rails that can be slid out of a front door panel. Here's the new case:

Tablewar is aces. They sponsored the OFCC this year, and it was the first time I got to see their stuff in person. Great company, great product.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah, in a previous update they showed the guys in the factory packing those boxes with a single game.
I love Ogre, and I'm super happy it's coming but I have no idea where I'm going to put this thing.

Some people say Go is less a game than it is a way of life. Ogre is less a game than it is somewhere to live.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I am going to put in a word for Darklands, a kickstarter from Mierce Miniatures. I have got into this for a fair bit, their models are very expensive but in my opinion top-quality, both in sculpt and concept.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mierceminiatures/darklands-first-edition

http://www.mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=cat&cre=dkl

My friends and I are currently looking for a fantasy skirmish game, this might fit the bill. Haven't seen the rules yet, but hey. I really like the art and the general idea of a very dark early medieval setting. Personally, although I don't have to make a choice till its funded, I will probably go for the Fomoraic faction, which is sort of what warhammer chaos warriors would be if warhammer fantasy wasn't becoming a self-parody.

Avenger_Mullah
Dec 28, 2008

Genghis Cohen posted:

I am going to put in a word for Darklands, a kickstarter from Mierce Miniatures. I have got into this for a fair bit, their models are very expensive but in my opinion top-quality, both in sculpt and concept.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mierceminiatures/darklands-first-edition

http://www.mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=cat&cre=dkl

My friends and I are currently looking for a fantasy skirmish game, this might fit the bill. Haven't seen the rules yet, but hey. I really like the art and the general idea of a very dark early medieval setting. Personally, although I don't have to make a choice till its funded, I will probably go for the Fomoraic faction, which is sort of what warhammer chaos warriors would be if warhammer fantasy wasn't becoming a self-parody.

The beta rules they put out were absolutely horrible. They use giant charts for all the actions and resolutions, and everything is a ton more complicated and convoluted than it should be. In the updates to the first kickstarter they said that they didn't want to change any major parts of the rules, so I expect this to still be exactly how the combat system works in the full game as well.

And it's not just the combat system that's lovely, everything is ten times more complicated than it should have been. I mean, look at this god drat "Action Matrix":

You need to use this every time you want to see if you can do some actions together. Terrible as they are, at least the charts in Warhammer are easy to memorize.

Avenger_Mullah fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 11, 2013

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bucnasti posted:

On eBay.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Avenger_Mullah posted:

The beta rules they put out were absolutely horrible. They use giant charts for all the actions and resolutions, and everything is a ton more complicated and convoluted than it should be. In the updates to the first kickstarter they said that they didn't want to change any major parts of the rules, so I expect this to still be exactly how the combat system works in the full game as well.

And it's not just the combat system that's lovely, everything is ten times more complicated than it should have been. I mean, look at this god drat "Action Matrix":

You need to use this every time you want to see if you can do some actions together. Terrible as they are, at least the charts in Warhammer are easy to memorize.

Oh. drat. At least the models are still cool. Where the gently caress can I find a good set of rules for fantasy monsters?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

All this just to run my ... Dyndreigiau of Gwaelod?

But I just want my Galhwch Lladd Llaw, Pendyndraig of Gwaelod to attack that dungann, oghurithne nund!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Oh. drat. At least the models are still cool. Where the gently caress can I find a good set of rules for fantasy monsters?

That sounds lame. Come play Warmachine/Hordes with the cool kids.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

theironjef posted:

So would you need to magnetize the base to make these stick or what?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So would you need to magnetize the base to make these stick or what?

Yeah, they have metal-floored trays, then you affix magnets to the bases of your minis. With WMH minis like the ones in the pictures a 3/16ths inch neodymium is basically a perfect snug fit. I get em on various magnet sales sites for basically peanuts. The Tablewar store also sells various sizes of snug rubber washers that you can use to create fitted slots for your model bases to sit in.

Put down a series of washers in a cool arrangement for your command squad, plug them briefly with spare bases, and then base the whole tray the same way your models are based, and you've got a transport-friendly display board that's magnetized for carrying around the room. Or if that's a bunch of work, just leave 'em bare like I did in those pics. Gives you more immediate flexibility, even though those internal trays can be purchased individually in a couple different sizes. Here's the concept thing from the website:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is pretty ok imho

Avenger_Mullah posted:

Holy poo poo is everything about that complex. Maybe it's just a welsh thing? Maybe the welsh live in hyperreality?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It's 'L', 'W', and 'D' poisoning. I've never seen a worse case.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Mars Attacks KS has a special level just for New York Comic Con: $300 for the game plus $325 in addon credit. It's a fair investment, but it's 25% discount on Kickstarter prices and you can buy extra copies of the base game with it. Pick up four extra base games and sell them for the KS price of $75, and you basically get your own base game plus $25 in addons for free.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's 'L', 'W', and 'D' poisoning. I've never seen a worse case.

You've clearly never been to dread Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch then. A little short on D's, but more LL's per capita than any other stretch on Earth.

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

You've clearly never been to dread Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch then. A little short on D's, but more LL's per capita than any other stretch on Earth.

"Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch" is Welsh for "If wikipedia did not exist, it would be necessary for man to invent it"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Or 'Stress-testing the new Scrabble tile assortment.'

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

theironjef posted:

All this just to run my ... Dyndreigiau of Gwaelod?

But I just want my Galhwch Lladd Llaw, Pendyndraig of Gwaelod to attack that dungann, oghurithne nund!

That sounds lame. Come play Warmachine/Hordes with the cool kids.

Mate, I have two large 40k armies and a whole lot of Infinity. I am trying hard to keep this poo poo from getting out of hand.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You did ask where a good ruleset for monsters was.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Not to mention discuss your hopes to support a giant monster model kickstarter. Ain't like I showed up at your house with a battlebox and a raised eyebrow.

That said if you want good Monsterfight rules the Hordes ruleset is pretty intuitive and fun, and it would be easy to graft your various Cllalladaugh Bryn Luaughs to the various Hordes factions.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I believe there are some fans of the Way of the Tiger gamebook series around here - looks like there is a project underway to a) reprint the original series in new, improved collector's hardcovers, and b) create a prequel book #0 and finally finish the series with the promised-but-never-released book #7. The former will be written by the house writer at the company running the project, the latter will be co-written by said writer as well as the two original authors of the series.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1615043334/the-way-of-the-tiger-gamebooks-new-collectors-edit

I think their prices are...ambitious and I wasn't that impressed with the series when they were Let's Played a while back, but for those needing some closure...

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

malkav11 posted:

I think their prices are...ambitious and I wasn't that impressed with the series when they were Let's Played a while back, but for those needing some closure...
At $46 per book for print copies, I think "ambitious" isn't quite the right word...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

How big are those supposed to be anyway? I don't remember gamebooks being that big back in the day, so I certainly can't see dropping a 50 for one, even in hardcover.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There was another game-book revival Kickstarter a while back, a pair of (highly detailed) booklets for an aerial dogfighting scenario. That one was ludicrously expensive to get into too... but there were only two of those books (I think) instead of eight of these.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Will anyone with a Kickstarter be willing to do an email interview with me? It's for a site I am helping out with. I will be asking questions based on your project, but it will start with some general questions but I like doing research or am already familiar with concepts of the design process for the type of game you'll be making.

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

EVIR Gibson posted:

Will anyone with a Kickstarter be willing to do an email interview with me? It's for a site I am helping out with. I will be asking questions based on your project, but it will start with some general questions but I like doing research or am already familiar with concepts of the design process for the type of game you'll be making.

Sure! I'll PM you my email address.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

theironjef posted:

Not to mention discuss your hopes to support a giant monster model kickstarter. Ain't like I showed up at your house with a battlebox and a raised eyebrow.

That said if you want good Monsterfight rules the Hordes ruleset is pretty intuitive and fun, and it would be easy to graft your various Cllalladaugh Bryn Luaughs to the various Hordes factions.

I was just kidding, I don't mean to put down your suggestion. I always thought warmachine was very tactically based around certain sets of models though, with a central general being the key element of the force? Doesn't seem quite what I'm looking for. My mate has the godslayer rulebook, so maybe I will try a couple games with that first.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

There was another game-book revival Kickstarter a while back, a pair of (highly detailed) booklets for an aerial dogfighting scenario. That one was ludicrously expensive to get into too... but there were only two of those books (I think) instead of eight of these.

Ace of Aces.

There were actually several different planes originally published but the Kickstarter initially only pitched the initial two and I think was going to add more if they hit stretch goals, which didn't happen. I chipped a few bucks their way out of nostalgia for the game but, yeah, those were not affordable books. With Way of the Tiger I don't even have the nostalgia, personally.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Genghis Cohen posted:

I was just kidding, I don't mean to put down your suggestion. I always thought warmachine was very tactically based around certain sets of models though, with a central general being the key element of the force? Doesn't seem quite what I'm looking for. My mate has the godslayer rulebook, so maybe I will try a couple games with that first.

It is. But that doesn't mean you can't proxy models if you want to.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Ran my first Torchbearer session tonight - it was pretty neat. Everyone loaded up with full sacks in hand, and then immediately dropped a bunch of stuff on realising that they needed to open doors and such. Lots of using traits against themselves - particularly Loner.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

There's a $300 level on Mars Attacks this weekend only.

Smart move I think, they've got a huge boost mid campaign.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Phoon posted:

There's a $300 level on Mars Attacks this weekend only.

Smart move I think, they've got a huge boost mid campaign.

As I said before, it's a level that gives more addon credit than it costs. If you select that level, you're getting the base game for less than nothing. Pick up more copies of the game as addons and sell them to friends at cost, and you can get your own copy plus Core Expansion 1 for free.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

Just happened to stumble across this little gem: Unwritten: Adventures in the Ages of Myst and Beyond.

A Fate Core-Powered RPG set in the world of the Myst computer games. This is literally everything I ever could ask for from an project like this. Some of the reward tiers are a little pricey, but if you just want a base PDF, its a very reasonable $10. $25 gets you expansion PDFs and beta access to the rules, and $50 gets you a paperback hard-copy of the book.

I can't wait to buy this and read it cover to cover and then have it sit on my shelf because I will never convince any of my friends to play it with me. I'm not being even remotely sarcastic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Golem Arcana is sitting at $392k/$500k with 48 hours left. I think they could probably do it, but it's not looking good. It might be better if they don't make it - If they re-tool the design, ditch the gimmicky poo poo, and come back with a straight wargame, I think they could have a hit on their hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I have sent out an update on what is going on with Inverse World, along with the 9th playbook as a backers-only update. If you are a late backer I will be emailing that update to you shortly.

• Locked thread