Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She has no idea how or why things go viral but she's aware that it's a thing and she honestly feels that her dumb idea is simply the peachiest keenest thing ever so how can people not go crazy over it?

She reminds me of the projects we keep finding where people designed a boardgame 15 years ago and have dedicated their lives to trying to get it published and into shops and ended up bankrupted and confused. "B-b-but I had it all planned out! I just don't understand why no one wants to play my game, it's the best game in the whole world!"

Bulletball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Toffile posted:

Bulletball.

The irony is that Bulletball did, indeed, end up going viral. But it didn't make the guy who made it any money because it was his pathetic obliviousness that went viral and not the game.

The fixation with going viral is basically an entire generation of marketing people trying to justify their continued existence. The problem is that even if you succeed (which is almost entirely a crapshoot) it doesn't actually mean you'll make money off of your 15 minutes of fame; that fake video of a guy getting Ray Ban sunglasses tattooed on his face may have been seen by millions of people, but did it actually sell sunglasses? Jimmy Kimmel may have tricked people into thinking that a staged "fail" video was real, but did it help his show at all? Even that fucker from buzzfeed who bought out horse_ebooks and used it to shill for his browser game had to use one of the most popular websites on the internet to push his viral marketing.

The only time viral marketing works is when it's organic, like when people started making their own iPod commercial parodies or people buying into Stephen Colbert's persona and the hero worship thereof.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Jimmy Kimmel may have tricked people into thinking that a staged "fail" video was real, but did it help his show at all?
Kimmel's been doing a pretty excellent job of having various things go viral, and I'm thinking that doing so has likely helped his show. Any given video probably doesn't do much by itself, though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

With Indiegogo.

Has anything of value ever actually come out of an Indiegogo project?

poo poo, has anything ever come out of an Indiegogo project?

I know there was a group using it in part for their scientific funding and part of it involved sending them your snot or saliva or something and they would analyze it. That was a relatively benign one and it was funded, but I don't remember the details.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Kimmel's been doing a pretty excellent job of having various things go viral, and I'm thinking that doing so has likely helped his show. Any given video probably doesn't do much by itself, though.

All that fake twerking video did in the end was make me hate Jimmy Kimmel even more than I already do. Cause it was a funny video and I want to live in the world where it was real, and he took that away from me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The irony is that Bulletball did, indeed, end up going viral. But it didn't make the guy who made it any money because it was his pathetic obliviousness that went viral and not the game.

A good example of this was the Taco Bell chihuahua, which made their sales go down. Everyone knew about it! ... and most people didn't like it.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Xelkelvos posted:

I know there was a group using it in part for their scientific funding and part of it involved sending them your snot or saliva or something and they would analyze it. That was a relatively benign one and it was funded, but I don't remember the details.

For whatever reason, several colleagues of mine have used indiegogo for various anthropological projects. One was for photography done in the course of spirit possession research in Ethiopia, and the other, that I'm not sure is even launched yet, involved fundraising for the creation of an indigenous cultural museum in Ecuador. They chose it for the flexible funding option, I think because they considered any amount a success that would be put towards their work, even after the hefty chunk it takes out for failure to meet the goal.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Keep your doctor out of jail! Did you know that in the past few years, the state of Florida has sent 4 cease and desist letters to doctors? And that it's impossible to get a medical license there? Neither did I, but we're talking about a special kind of doctor here, the 'Doctor of Naturopathy'. Which when you think about it isn't so much a doctor as it is a dangerous quack who, at best, sells you expensive homeopathic 'cures' that do nothing, and at worst convinces you to drink pure and holistic mercury. The aim of the campaign is to hire lawyers and bribe legislators to make this profession acceptable. Give them 500 dollars, and they'll send you a 'homeopathic first aid kit'.

Give me $2500 so I can start a MineCraft video series. Because if there's one thing YouTube lacks, it's people who make MineCraft videos. All that money goes into keeping the servers alive.

Our Potter potential is a short film/speech by Matthew F. Johnson, a guy who really likes Harry Potter. It touches on subjects like 'the entitlement generation' and 'the fear of success', and if you pledge enough money you'll also get access to a movie called 'Who Is Matthew F. Johnson?'. It leaves little to the imagination as to what his final product will be like. It doesn't help that he looks and sounds like a teenager.

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
Fallout: Lanius is a fan film from Australia that used Indiegogo. They've finished the film and started sending out backer rewards, which makes them more successful than most Kickstarter projects I've backed. :/

http://www.youtube.com/user/FalloutLanius

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Because not nearly enough humour has been wrung from TRUST NOBODY "THE MOVIE", I present to you the entirety of its Kickstarter pitch: [all formatting 100% original to the Kickstarter.]

-----

BRICKS IS A YOUNG HUSTLER THAT HAS BEEN RELEASE FROM JAIL AFTER 4 YEARS AND IS TRYING TO GET BACK ON TOP WHERE HE LEFT.

My name is steven love i'm from milwaukee,wi i been in the entertainment business for over 15 years my first success was a hiphop artist by the name coo coo cal with the #1 hit single "my projects" which was distribute by tommyboy records who sold over 500,000 copies of the song which was #1 on the billboard charts for 6 weeks. after losing my mom and brother in 2010 i set back and wrote my first book from a movie script i wrote somtime back after selling over 10,000 copies out the trunk everybody was telling me it need to be a movie, so i set out to see what it take to make this dream come true and found distribution throught for the film just need to come up with the funds to shoot it. damon jone ex-nba star give us a letter of intent of $50,000 and movie director christian strickland is going to shoot it. god brought me to this site it's my first and hope someone can help out with this great movie script. here's director info; (Christian Strickland Christian Director Producer Christian Strickland has been fascinated by film and music video since his childhood. The California native has directed over 40 music videos since the company's inception in 1995. He has shot videos for the following Companies; Sony, BMG, WEA, Virgin, Universal, TVT, etc.; filming such diverse musical artists as Ying Yang Twins, New Boyz, Hurricane Chris, Bobby Valentino, Juvenile, Three 6 Mafia, Trillville, UGK, Jadakiss, Scarface, Webbie, David Banner, Kurrpt, C-BO, Brother Lynch Hung. Additionally, Strickland just finished shooting his second a full-length feature Hype Nation 3D in Korea. The first full-length movie to be shot entirely in 3D.

-----

I am unbelievably tempted to go post that in FYAD with no context provided.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zero backers? I honestly kind of feel sorry for the guy. Maybe we could turn this into another Hot Dog success story.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Zybourne Clock posted:

Keep your doctor out of jail! Did you know that in the past few years, the state of Florida has sent 4 cease and desist letters to doctors? And that it's impossible to get a medical license there? Neither did I, but we're talking about a special kind of doctor here, the 'Doctor of Naturopathy'. Which when you think about it isn't so much a doctor as it is a dangerous quack who, at best, sells you expensive homeopathic 'cures' that do nothing, and at worst convinces you to drink pure and holistic mercury. The aim of the campaign is to hire lawyers and bribe legislators to make this profession acceptable. Give them 500 dollars, and they'll send you a 'homeopathic first aid kit'.

A homeopathic first aid kit? Literally a bottle of water to use in the event of grievous injury. That is so stupid, and obviously useless I actually do not have words for it. Unless you are dying from dehydration, this is pretty much the same thing as the $5 'high five to your health'. I hate this person and I am glad someone is sending them to jail. Nothing in the entire world makes me more angry than quacks.

Phlegmish posted:

Zero backers? I honestly kind of feel sorry for the guy. Maybe we could turn this into another Hot Dog success story.

Please don't. Hot dog man had a dream and needed a livelihood. This seems firmly in the embarrassingly bad vanity project zone.

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.

DStecks posted:

Because not nearly enough humour has been wrung from TRUST NOBODY "THE MOVIE", I present to you the entirety of its Kickstarter pitch: [all formatting 100% original to the Kickstarter.]

-----

BRICKS IS A YOUNG HUSTLER THAT HAS BEEN RELEASE FROM JAIL AFTER 4 YEARS AND IS TRYING TO GET BACK ON TOP WHERE HE LEFT.

The first full-length movie to be shot entirely in 3D.

-----

Oh man, someone call James Cameron and tell him to pack it up and go home.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MrAptronym posted:

Please don't. Hot dog man had a dream and needed a livelihood. This seems firmly in the embarrassingly bad vanity project zone.

Not to mention the fact that Claude had actually thought everything out- the only remotely iffy thiong about his KS was his photography skills and spelling, both of which don't seem all that important for a small business owner.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I wasn't actually serious, but I do think they have the same basic problem - demographic mismatch. I believe this guy when he claims all his friends have said he should make a movie, it's just that the people around him are probably not familiar with Kickstarter. Hot dog man's KS was suffering from the same issue.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

DStecks posted:

I am unbelievably tempted to go post that in FYAD with no context provided.

People provide context in FYAD?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

100Dachshunds posted:

Fallout: Lanius is a fan film from Australia that used Indiegogo. They've finished the film and started sending out backer rewards, which makes them more successful than most Kickstarter projects I've backed. :/

http://www.youtube.com/user/FalloutLanius

I know the guy behind this; he's pretty cool. That's another case of Kickstarter not being available in the director's country, though KS will be opened to Aussies soon.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As was said before, Klaivu used Indiegogo because Kickstarter wasn't an option in Finland. And practically every aspect of Jaybird's creation was extensively documented on SA, so it was hardly your typical flex-funding Indiegogo project.

I was actually talking about a DIFFERENT Finnish webcomic, it's called A Redtail's Dream and is about a boy and his dog who are forced to rescue people from their village from a dream world created by a supernatural fox spirit. It was enormously successful and the artist is already fulfilling various of the stretch goals (minicomics and an epilogue to the story). The comic was something like 95% complete before the print drive even launched and is now complete and entirely available online, so the risk of the rewards not being fulfilled are very low.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, last week HuniePop was mentioned and people weren't sure if it was bad or just a bit too anime. Well, they've announced some physical add-ons and I think they've definitely leapt over the line here.

quote:

$25 - HuniePop Collectable Tissue Boxes: The perfect companion to have within arms reach :) There are 8 unique collectable tissue box designs, one for each girl. Each box features original artwork as well as personal details about the character for quick reference while playing the game. Order one with your favorite girl or get all 8 for $150 (save 25%).

$120 - HuniePop Collectable Dakimakura: Like the tissue boxes, there are 8 unique dakimakura designs, one for each girl. Every dakimakura features custom original artwork of the character with both a front and back perspective. The cases are roughly 150cm x 50cm. Order one with your favorite girl or get all 8 for $720 (save 25%).

Well, I guess they know their market. :stonklol: $10k to go with 21 days on the clock, easily going to get funded.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Delusibeta posted:

So, last week HuniePop was mentioned and people weren't sure if it was bad or just a bit too anime. Well, they've announced some physical add-ons and I think they've definitely leapt over the line here.

Well, I guess they know their market. :stonklol: $10k to go with 21 days on the clock, easily going to get funded.

Ehh, game like this, hugging pillows aren't that surprising, natural progression really. Tissue boxes, though? :ughh:

Still, not enough to truly get worried. Worry if they start offering tenga's inspired from the game.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

That's my lab! It's the American Gut Project and we are analyzing your poop. For science! So yeah, it is possible to do good stuff with indiegogo, but dear god is it hard.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

orphean posted:

Anyway for some Awful Kickstarter content:

TRUST NOBODY "THE MOVIE"
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1131928950/trust-nobody-the-movie

This movie already exists and it stars Snoop Dogg and is a musical.

You read that right.

tony police has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Oct 11, 2013

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

quote:

Orange Juice: So you can go on to make a fat stack, Jack. And I'm talking about a stack so fat, you'll have to walk with a limp for the rest of your life from all the dough in yo' pockets.
:stare:

quote:

Cordé Christopher: Pimpin' and ho'in is the best thing going.
:catstare:

I have to see this movie.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

orphean posted:

:stare:

:catstare:

I have to see this movie.

It's fairly fantastic.

The opening title card reads something like:

"THOU SHALT NOT LOVE A HO
-ThaPimpGod, Pimpin 101"

Yep.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
A brand of consumer electronics has had such a profound impact on this man's life that he decided to create a piece of art in honor of Steve Jobs. The typographic art is one of Steve Jobs' speeches, using iDevice icons instead of letters. You might think this can easily be done with a script, but the author assures you he painstakingly places every single icon by hand. It's not like anyone can tell the difference between a computer- or man made artwork, meaning the effort he puts into the piece will be completely unnoticed. If he receives enough money, he wants to put his art on a billboard. I'm sure the entire 10,000 character speech will remain completely legible from a distance.

Kimberly believes that children should learn computer programming skills from a very young age. How young? Around the same time they develop fine motor skills. The book is done, it just needs artwork and interactive paper elements. I'm holding out for the eBook version.

Speaking of books, Debra could use some help publishing The Power of "Rape".

KickStarter posted:

The novel is based the life and bringin Justice for Mr. Chrisopher Wood of Titusville, Florida whom is serving 51.75 years in prison. This is a fictional novel, filled with action, suspense thriller and detective. It's about a woman, Amy Wood, who cries rape against her husband, Christopher Wood. However, was it really rape? Is this man the master manipulating rapist his wife claims? Or was it a plot by his wife to get rid of her husband for her own personal gain? Possible could it be that both Chris and Amy "staged" this rape in order to make money from the arrest?

How do you make money from an arrest? :psyduck: If you pledge 25 bucks you get what is quite possibly the worst reward for a book about rape: a T-shirt that says 'Got Wood?'.

Would you like to play a game where you get to place tables and chairs in a restaurant, with a choice of over a hundred identical green chairs and tables? Then Restaurant emulator with specific economy is the game for you. Coming soon to Android, iOS, windows phone, and probably Lowtax's YouTube channel.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Zybourne Clock posted:

A brand of consumer electronics has had such a profound impact on this man's life that he decided to create a piece of art in honor of Steve Jobs. The typographic art is one of Steve Jobs' speeches, using iDevice icons instead of letters. You might think this can easily be done with a script, but the author assures you he painstakingly places every single icon by hand. It's not like anyone can tell the difference between a computer- or man made artwork, meaning the effort he puts into the piece will be completely unnoticed. If he receives enough money, he wants to put his art on a billboard. I'm sure the entire 10,000 character speech will remain completely legible from a distance.

I was kind of meh and then I noticed the author's icon.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

duralict posted:

I was kind of meh and then I noticed the author's icon.

The most generic apple-obsessed hipster. I wonder how much of his art he comes up with in a starbucks?

That rape book is pretty bad, but its really the 'got wood?' T-shirt that takes it from generic creepy fiction to uncomfortable levels.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Didn't Settlers of Catan sell "Got wood?" shirts at one point?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I knew I'd seen a similar thing before.

How's that for a slice of fried gold?

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

Pope Guilty posted:

Didn't Settlers of Catan sell "Got wood?" shirts at one point?

"Got wood for sheep?" With images representing the resources rather then the words themselves. The typical juvenile joke that every Catan player inevitably makes at one point or another.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I knew I'd seen a similar thing before.

How's that for a slice of fried gold?

I was uploading that to imgur just a minute ago :argh:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

MrAptronym posted:

The most generic apple-obsessed hipster. I wonder how much of his art he comes up with in a starbucks?

Not even. It's the sort of dad who thinks he's a cool dad and has glommed on to every i-device that exists in hope of clinging to some of the passing cachet he though he had when he went to art galleries and poetry readings when he was a little younger and cornered the artists and poets to ask them endless inane questions in hope of being percieved as "deep" and let in as some secret 'mover and shaker' in the art world despite never having done anything. That is the face of a man that's spent his entire life trying to surf coattails

BalthCat
Aug 11, 2010

Zybourne Clock posted:

So is it fiction or based on a true story? Her Kickstarter needs an editor. :|

As for talk of IndieGogo success stories... I'm unable to provide any. I've mostly tossed low amounts as moral support (unlike Kickstarter), and only two are older than a few months. Last I heard Dear White People ($1) was finished filming, but their internet presence is stale. And Lets Build a Goddamned Tesla Museum ($3) is an understandably long-term project.

Edit: I've had no full-on duds with Kickstarter. On the contrary, I've even had two projects give me a reward (ebook PDF) when I only tossed $1 at them and selected no reward.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

This kickstarter is so loving stupid.

Give us $200k for our 90% complete open source project! No, we will not tell you what that money will be used for.

And also you don't actually get the piece of hardware. You just get the source files on a USB key.

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Give us $200k for our 90% complete open source project! No, we will not tell you what that money will be used for.

And also you don't actually get the piece of hardware. You just get the source files on a USB key.

Doesn't open source mean that the source will be available for public anyway? So you'll just get a USB key for $100, then.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Does open source mean Glamour Shot?

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
Indiegogo success story: a Facebook friend wanted to get some special ballet classes for her daughter paid for as well as travel costs. It wasn't going too well but then the mom posted some good tier rewards and posted video of her daughter. It turns out the daughter is noticeably talented and so even though her mom is a little weird, she got her summer camp classes. That was a couple years ago and the daughter is actually becoming a real ballerina. It's been neat to see it happen - and it probably wouldn't have happened if she hadn't made connections at the summer camp.

After that success, the mom tried to get fashion school money for another daughter but unfortunately her clothes were ugly and she got nothing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MrAptronym posted:

You kidding? I don't know any hipster who'd be caught dead with those glasses, and that bizarre turtleneck sweater looks like the sort of thing that high school sophomores with Eastern European parents would wear back in 2004.

No, my friend. That's no hipster. That's just a nerd.

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

After that success, the mom tried to get fashion school money for another daughter but unfortunately her clothes were ugly and she got nothing.

Hey, we can't all be as awesome and talented as our siblings...I mean, I wouldn't know but I'm sure that's what my sister thinks. :smug::smug::smug:

trilobite terror has a new favorite as of 09:56 on Oct 12, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Zybourne Clock posted:

This whole thing needs to be quoted. Nothing says fund my novel like a kickstarter proposal the author didn't even read through.

The Power of "Rape" posted:

The purpose behind our project is to raise funds to assist with professional editing, production costs, registration of ISBN number, promotional costs, the creation and registration of websites and web pages, etc.

The novel is based the life and bringin Justice for Mr. Chrisopher Wood of Titusville, Florida whom is serving 51.75 years in prison. This is a fictional novel, filled with action, suspense thriller and detective. It's about a woman, Amy Wood, who cries rape against her husband, Christopher Wood. However, was it really rape? Is this man the master manipulating rapist his wife claims? Or was it a plot by his wife to get rid of her husband for her own personal gain? Possible could it be that both Chris and Amy "staged" this rape in order to make money from the arrest?

The novel is in rough draft form, un-edited and 638 pages long. Once edited, we believe it will be in the neighborhood of 420 pages. This includes an appendix for reference showing the reader where all factual information gathered and can be found, e.g., court documents, interviews, specific investigators, etc. We will first print the novel in paperback, then pending its success, we will have hardcover printed. It will also be available as an e-book and in PDF format.

We expect launch the advertising compaign early next year. We will create a website devoted to the novel, along with facebook, Twitter, etc. We will be placing ads in newspaper, such as New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and USA Today. We will also have ads on various commercial websites. This, just to name a few of our advertising goals.

----------------------

With your investment we are confident to have limited risks and challenges. However, every project has potential obstacles to overcome. An example of those obstacles is editing, production delays, and mailings. If setbacks do arise, we are confident in which we can handle them.

EvilTobaccoExec has a new favorite as of 12:36 on Oct 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
"This is a fictional novel, filled with action, suspense thriller and detective" is a truly amazing sentence.

Old Boot has a new favorite as of 14:06 on Oct 12, 2013