Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

amuayse posted:

Just curious. What mages did you recruit for what purpose for EA C'tis? I haven't really played them outside of single player. I know that Sauromancers being StR is a big deal though.

That basically means you just need to recruit more of them. STR means a lot less on a noncap. They cost half the gold-turns, which means you can put the extra gold into forts, which means you end up with more forts so mages per turn eventually equals out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

amuayse posted:

Just curious. What mages did you recruit for what purpose for EA C'tis? I haven't really played them outside of single player. I know that Sauromancers being StR is a big deal though.

The answer is sauromancers. Just never stop recruiting them.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Lizard shamans are efficient researchers in a magic dominion. Reborn are good if you just want as many rock-bottom skelespammers as possible. But you should just recruit sauromancers, from what I can see. They're good mages, and they give you some actual diversity.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Right, the main, crucial difference between CBM and non-CBM EA R'lyeh is that your Aboleths and all related creatures are purely aquatic in the vanilla game. You need W1A1 to make an Amulet of the Fish just to get the commanders out of the sea, and Giboleth/Gibodai are stuck down there, since afaik there's no underwater equivalent to the Barrel of Air.

Basically, you're extremely resilient under the waves, but overland expansion is a non-starter unless you build your pretender around it (which you definitely have to). That means W1A1, probable high Death magic too for path variegation, and a lot of RPs, to kickstart research up to Construction 4 as soon as possible.

Probably want something like an awake Dom 10 Void Lurker A2W2S6D4 with O3S3C3G1M1M3.

They really do need to add a UW equivalent to Barrel of Air. It's especially needed in EA.

Playing R'lyeh as an UW turtle with an immobile pretender is so boring though. By the time you can get out of the sea someone else has probably already won the game on land.

I remember having a great time with a horrifically expensive asleep AEN Ancient Kraken. Empowered him to W1 when he woke up, had him make a couple amulet of the fishes and then sent him off to be an army devouring cloud trapeze monster. I think I gave him an amulet of anti-magic, snake ring (for when he casts invuln) and the fish amulet. Cloud Trapeze the fucker out of dom 10, cast invuln+personal regen and watch him kill everything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Schneeble posted:

Go to Desura's page for the game, then click the blue button "Play game" in the upper left. That will bring up a window asking you whether you want to install Desura. Ignore that and look at the hyperlinks in the text above. One of the hyperlinks says "view keys" and if you click that then the pop-up window will change to show you your unlock key.

That's the unique multiplayer-enabling number that brainwrinkle's site is after.

I'm not sending my CD key to a random stranger on the internet, and I've done this before for Matryx with Dom3 and they didn't ask for that, they asked for the order number.

So no.

(Plus now it looks like it's not even an issue.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 11, 2013

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I have two mod questions:

1. I added shock resist to a piece of armor and it gives a value of 2 no matter what I set it to. Is this normal? It is default equipment and not something forged if that matters.

2. What am I doing wrong with the montags? I want a random elemental summoned once at the beginning of battle.

#selectmonster "Earth Elemental" 497
#montag 1000
#end

#selectmonster "Water Elemental" 412
#montag 1000
#end

#selectmonster "Fire Elemental" 598
#montag 1000
#end

#selectmonster "Air Elemental" 571
#montag 1000
#end

Then #batstartsum1 -1000 on the summoner and I get nothing and 1000 gives me a demon jester which I assume is just his number.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Try giving them a #copystats before the #montag.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
:siren: New Game Alert! :siren:

To celebrate the release of Dominions 4 (finally) I am throwing up three new games. Two of these games will be newbie only games and one will be everyone welcome. None of them will be disciple games, maximum of 12 players in each game. Will find a map once I see the number of players. If the newbies games fill up exceptionally quickly I will admin a third and maybe fourth. Lyre and Harp will be newbies only, Dulcimer will be open to everyone.

Lyre and Harp will be EA and MA respectively, Dulcimer will be EA. Edit: Will most likely be randomly generated maps for each. Deal with its vets.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 11, 2013

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm gonna have to get me in on some of those newbie games.

How does this brainwinkle thing work? I made an account, and it seems that I can't log in. I didn't get a confirmation email or anything so I'm not sure if I'm waiting to be verified or not.

DarkAvenger211 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 11, 2013

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, same. First time for everything, right?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm gonna have to get me in on some of those newbie games.

How does this brainwinkle thing work? I made an account, and it seems that I can't log in. I didn't get a confirmation email or anything so I'm not sure if I'm waiting to be verified or not.

jBrereton posted:

Yeah, same. First time for everything, right?

It takes a bit for the emails to go through then an admin to click your link. I have just clicked both of these. Let's keep server admin issues, etc. to the other thread please? Welcome to Dominions!

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Try giving them a #copystats before the #montag.

This didn't work. :( I don't know what I am doing wrong with this.

Lairek
Jun 27, 2007

One day I shall be the king!
Broke down and bought Dom4 & signed up for GGS as Lairek. Evil Monkey domination, 1 time!

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

So I signed up for GGS - Looking forward to getting into this.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Time to get in on this newbie game stuff. Hi brainwrinkle I exist here.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
How involved are these newbie games time-wise? Is it better to just pick one or can I enter both for double learning experience?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

This didn't work. :( I don't know what I am doing wrong with this.
Try a different code?

69420 or something.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Asehujiko posted:

How involved are these newbie games time-wise? Is it better to just pick one or can I enter both for double learning experience?

Early game is extremely fast. Late game, if you make it to late game, can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour depending on how big you are, how much ocd you have, and how much of a sperg you are.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

it can take a lot more than an hour depending on the size of the map and how many fronts you're fighting on :I

seriously dont play games on the Faerun map, dont do it, at least not often. A lot of the time huge map games will come down to someone getting sick of 3 hour turns and halfassing things/conceding

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 12, 2013

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Utterdark
Burden of Time
Go Computer Controlled

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Am I correct in assuming that two temporary gem items on the same mage don't actually provide two temporary gems?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Asehujiko posted:

Am I correct in assuming that two temporary gem items on the same mage don't actually provide two temporary gems?

I don't know - try it out in Single player and tell me what happens.
I would think that if you're willing to fill both slots with the gem-items, you should get 2 gems.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Asehujiko posted:

That is correct- at least when I tried it on a Machakan Queen in 3.99whatever.

edit: For clarification, same gem type, both fire.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

2 of the same item almost never stack. The only exception being items that give weapons and armor, which then only stack as far as adding the weapon or armor, not any special properties like resistances or path boosters.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Asehujiko posted:

The turns are essentially as short or as long as you want them to be. Early on they will be very short, but end game turns will generally last a good deal longer if you want them to. This being said, I pretty much never spend more than 15 minutes on a turn; even if I'm huge in the late stages of a game.

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

Lilli posted:

The turns are essentially as short or as long as you want them to be. Early on they will be very short, but end game turns will generally last a good deal longer if you want them to. This being said, I pretty much never spend more than 15 minutes on a turn; even if I'm huge in the late stages of a game.

The trick to beating Lilli--as has been proved by science*--is to lose embarrassingly, long enough for her to start getting bored. Then you put together an alliance capable of orchestrating a coordinated strike against as many points as possible! Sure, she's capable of responding to all the little threats... but she won't be able to bring herself to invest the time required to do that. Victory!

* Sample size of one Let's Play

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

TheDemon posted:

- A silent neighbor is more threatening than a friendly one. Talk to your neighbors.

From the OP. All newbies heed this advice.

e: by newbie I mean actual newbie and not SA "played the game for 3 years but not 100% sure about their late-game strategy newbie"

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 12, 2013

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Decrepus posted:

From the OP. All newbies heed this advice.

e: by newbie I mean actual newbie and not SA "played the game for 3 years but not 100% sure about their late-game strategy newbie"

I stopped talking to my neighbors because that requires more :effort: than I am willing to put into this game.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lilli posted:

I stopped talking to my neighbors because that requires more :effort: than I am willing to put into this game.

You'll never become Pantokrator with an attitude like that!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Hmmm. I've been playing around with the Eagle Kings and I'm trying to figure out when is the best time to recruit them. I've also been toying around with using an awake Sage to turbo charge research first into Construction 2 to get Owl Quills (+6 RP) and then into the evocation/alteration standard for Caelum. Also though, since Auspex is Thau4, it's pretty more efficient to manually search. Any suggestions?

At Neutral Scales:
Eagle King 395g StR 17RP
Caelian Seraph 125g 11RP
Harab Seraph 75g 9RP

amuayse fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 12, 2013

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Since all three games filled up in a couple of hours I'm adding another newbie game Violin taking place in LA, and another all players welcome game Viola which will take place in MA. Same guidelines as the other two.

Edit: As a side note, I would appreciate it if people stayed away from Lemuria and Rlyeh for Violin, just because they tend to be problems that newbies don't really know how to deal with and make learning the game kind of unfun. Thanks!

Lilli fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 12, 2013

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

Early game is extremely fast. Late game, if you make it to late game, can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour depending on how big you are, how much ocd you have, and how much of a sperg you are.

Also if you have freespawn or blood your turns will inevitably turn into micro hell because that's how those systems work.

Can't wait to start my first Dom4 multiplayer game. I'm sure my untested theorycraft pretender combined with a middling/weak nation will work perfectly on Lyre and deliver me to victory :haw:.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Also if you have freespawn or blood your turns will inevitably turn into micro hell because that's how those systems work.

Can't wait to start my first Dom4 multiplayer game. I'm sure my untested theorycraft pretender combined with a middling/weak nation will work perfectly on Lyre and deliver me to victory :haw:.

At least you're well on your way to sandbagging supremacy. :rimshot:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

drat those newbie games filled up quick. Oh well guess I might as well take the plunge and face some real experienced players.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I wanted to wait until this was in sale but I coudn't take it anymore.

I've signed up for brainwrinkle but I'll be looking around sp first for a bit, but all games are full anyway :v:.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Squalid posted:

drat those newbie games filled up quick. Oh well guess I might as well take the plunge and face some real experienced players.

Absum posted:

I wanted to wait until this was in sale but I coudn't take it anymore.

I've signed up for brainwrinkle but I'll be looking around sp first for a bit, but all games are full anyway :v:.

I'll be throwing up one last newbie game on brainwrinkle soon, age TBD, same rules as the others.

Edit: Okay Cello is up, feel free to sign up. Pending Tenjou's approval it will be on proactiveapathy, but if not I'll work out a different host.

Editx2: Also, Cello, Violin, and Viola all have servers now, please upload your gods as soon as possible.

Lilli fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 12, 2013

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Good lord Desura is such a pile.

How hard can it be to install a patch on a game like this.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but a Dom3 veteran has started a VLP playing Dom4 Lanka. Looks like this could be educational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuodbLsD4Gw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SomMvfhw9OA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N22O8AL-FI

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else not entirely pleased that Kailasa still has basically no Holy whatsoever, despite the fact that the Flaming Weapons buff working on Yavana Archers would be pretty nice if it was even vaguely widespread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lairek
Jun 27, 2007

One day I shall be the king!
Say, how do you get to holy 5? I know that prophetising an H3 priest will give H4, but who has access to native H4 priests? Or are there Holy boosters?

• Locked thread