Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nolanar posted:

On that note, are there restrictions on where plants in pots will grow? Can I hide them in an underground bunker, or should I build a greenhouse structure for them?

I think plants grown in pots will grow regardless of the conditions, but they won't drop seeds unless the conditions are met for them to.

Dayblooms need to be harvested in the day (they might need direct sunlight too, but I can't confirm this), Moonblooms should be harvested at night, Blinkroots will give you seeds whenever they feel like it, Deathweeds only give seeds during a Blood Moon, and Waterleaf/Fireblossom need to be at least next to water/lava respectively. (Carving out a little one-block high 'planter' to put the waterleaf/fireblossom pots in and then filling it with the required liquid will typically do the job without harming the pot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.
I'm at the point where I have full meteorite armor and a space gun. Phase 2 of Brain keeps owning me though. Any tips on how to easily take him down phase 2? The best weapons I have are the Crimson sword, crimson bow, and space gun. It just seems that on phase 2 he keeps disappearing and warping on top of me instantly without giving me room to move or attack/shoot him.

I've only been summoning him underground so far though by breaking 3 heats in a row. Any tips on ways I can summon him on my terms so that Im not underground in cramped caves when I fight him?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Mental Midget posted:

I've only been summoning him underground so far though by breaking 3 heats in a row. Any tips on ways I can summon him on my terms so that Im not underground in cramped caves when I fight him?

Build a sort of box out of wooden platforms (you can do this in one of the open areas of the Crimson, if you want) and use your grappling hook to quickly pull yourself away from it when it spawns, while shooting it.

Always have a Regeneration + Ironskin potion going when fighting bosses (regeneration is daybloom + mushroom + water bottle, ironskin is daybloom + iron ore + water bottle); they are extremely easy to mass-produce and make a massive difference in your survivability.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Thanks for the hard mode advice chaps. I'm just going to get stuck in as I'm feeling OP now to be honest.
My setup is...Night Edge, Flower of Fire, Water Bolt, Chakram, Molten Fury, Sun Fury with Molten armor and either damage or mana doodahs depending on needs.
All in all, good gear. All with best prefixes too.

Time to go get my arse handed to me again eh.

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace

Mental Midget posted:

I'm at the point where I have full meteorite armor and a space gun. Phase 2 of Brain keeps owning me though. Any tips on how to easily take him down phase 2? The best weapons I have are the Crimson sword, crimson bow, and space gun. It just seems that on phase 2 he keeps disappearing and warping on top of me instantly without giving me room to move or attack/shoot him.

I used a spear I got from one of the things you smash (Rotted Fork). The knockback made it fairly easy, as he couldn’t really get close enough to hit me as long as I was fast enough after teleports.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Mental Midget posted:

You can make a summoning item out of vertebra dropped by stuff in the crimson. Give the guide a vertebra and he will tell you the full recipe. The only thing being you need to be at one of those meat altars to craft it but those are usually all over the area where you smash the hearts. When you use the item you will summon the brain as long as you are in the crimson biome. That way you can build an arena above ground to fight it on your terms

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jackard posted:

First get wood gear and look for chests in surface caves, the wallclimbing accessory is a common lowbie reward that makes spelunking easier.

Speaking of wood gear, the treees in the more exotic biomes give you better wood. Mahogany weapons are on part with tin, moe or less, and shadewood stuff is about iron-level.

So if you can get a tree from the jungle or the corruption, consider it.

Mental Midget posted:

Have you tried jester's arrows? I had a lot of success with those as they do more damage than the space gun I think and they'll cut his first form down in no time, which helps with the second.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 12, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Edit is not reply...

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Harms posted:

So does anything really come close to magic in the end game? There are so many spells with such great utility that ranged, and especially melee, just seem horrible (and boring) in comparison.

Can't speak for melee, but I have an automatic shotgun that sprays out spread shot Chlorophyte bullets that all instantly turn and home in on the nearest enemy, outputting several hundred damage per second, a sniper rifle that will one-shot every non-boss enemy from orbit and also literally cannot miss because of said Chlorophyte bullets, a shotbow loaded with holy arrows that causes a rain of shooting stars that blocks out the sun when I start firing it, a rocket launcher that is singlehandedly responsible for the complete destruction of enormous sections of our world's underground, and a gun that shoots a piranha that will clear a room with one click.

My mage friend can't even touch my damage output. God drat I can't believe I was complaining about ranged weapons earlier in the thread.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Thanks for this! I love the new interface, it's a lot more compact and efficient!

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Does anyone else share my love for Starfury? 1.2 removed it needing mana to use; it now just has a short recharge time between shooting stars. It's managed to carry me all the way through normal mode. The stars usually continue through mobs while still damaging them, so both the Brain and the Destroyer were an absolute breeze to beat. The Destroyer took less than a minute to beat using it. The stars do ~40 damage (~80 for crits), along with 20-odd damage for the actual sword, and you can usually hit over a dozen segments at once, at least with the stars. The Brain took a bit longer, but the stars still made quick work of the floaty bits you have to kill in the first half of the battle and did a decent job of damaging and knocking it back during the second half.

Oh, and as a warning to other people still in normal -- it's probably best not to get an early start on an above-ground mushroom biome. You'll learn why during a blood moon.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Preem Palver posted:

Does anyone else share my love for Starfury? 1.2 removed it needing mana to use; it now just has a short recharge time between shooting stars. It's managed to carry me all the way through normal mode. The stars usually continue through mobs while still damaging them, so both the Brain and the Destroyer were an absolute breeze to beat. The Destroyer took less than a minute to beat using it. The stars do ~40 damage (~80 for crits), along with 20-odd damage for the actual sword, and you can usually hit over a dozen segments at once, at least with the stars. The Brain took a bit longer, but the stars still made quick work of the floaty bits you have to kill in the first half of the battle and did a decent job of damaging and knocking it back during the second half.

Oh, and as a warning to other people still in normal -- it's probably best not to get an early start on an above-ground mushroom biome. You'll learn why during a blood moon.

Best part about starfury is it lets you see through walls while underground, so easy to find hidden rooms.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
When I first started this last playthrough I found a floating island pretty early since its right above my base and the Starfury I found there lasted me well into hard mode. I'm not sure there is a better item for scouting out caves.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking of wood gear, the treees in the more exotic biomes give you better wood. Mahogany weapons are on part with tin, moe or less, and shadewood stuff is about iron-level.

drat, I didn't know the evilwood gear was that good. Looks like shadewood/ebonwood weapons are iron-level, armor is just short of copper-level. That changes my whole early game strategy.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Sadly, I can't plant acorns on corruption/crimson grass, so getting more evil trees will probably be difficult.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

voltron lion force posted:

When I first started this last playthrough I found a floating island pretty early since its right above my base and the Starfury I found there lasted me well into hard mode. I'm not sure there is a better item for scouting out caves.

Eventually Demon Scythe will beat it out, depending. The sparks/light from it impacting a wall travels a long time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

GenericOverusedName posted:

Sadly, I can't plant acorns on corruption/crimson grass, so getting more evil trees will probably be difficult.

You can just make another world to get more wood.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I seem to be completely incapable of finding the Plantera bulb in the hardmode jungle. I have explored the entire thing and now I am digging for the tiny remaining nooks and crannies. Is there an editor that makes it easy to find this drat thing? (Unless there is something I need to do to trigger it to spawn?)

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

archangelwar posted:

I seem to be completely incapable of finding the Plantera bulb in the hardmode jungle. I have explored the entire thing and now I am digging for the tiny remaining nooks and crannies. Is there an editor that makes it easy to find this drat thing? (Unless there is something I need to do to trigger it to spawn?)

One spawns every time you kill a hardmode boss. If you haven't killed any of the mechanical dudes you won't find one.

e: And if you CAN'T kill the mechanical dudes, you don't WANT to find one. They're all way easier than Plantera.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 12, 2013

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

archangelwar posted:

You need to kill a hardmode boss for it to start spawning. It will be visible if it's anywhere on your screen as it gives off light.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
I was sure I'd found all the islands so I couldn't work out where the hell my meteorite had landed.
Up a living tree it turns out. It produced about 2-3 times the ore than even the best ground landing ones have, which is nice.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I just lucked into a Rod of Discord and there's no way this isn't getting nerfed at some point. There's absolutely no mana cost when using it and it doesn't require line of sight to your target, so you can basically zip around to any open area 3 times per second as long as your character can fit in the targeted spot. :stare:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Newbie trip report: I know gushing about normal mode stuff probably seems quaint to people farming hardmode bosses, but Starfury :swoon:

I started finding caverns full of ore by accident just from finding mobs, and that star absolutely shreds anything on the surface. Between that and the godly emerald staff I made, I can shred the Eye no problem. It might be time to start working on my not-a-literal-hole-in-the-ground base before moving into the next step after that (dungeon? underground jungle?).

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Cyberventurer posted:

I just lucked into a Rod of Discord and there's no way this isn't getting nerfed at some point. There's absolutely no mana cost when using it and it doesn't require line of sight to your target, so you can basically zip around to any open area 3 times per second as long as your character can fit in the targeted spot. :stare:

Yeah I think it's my favourite item in 1.2.x.x, it's so much fun to use. You can also use it to rapidly travel across the map if you tele to the edge of the screen repeatedly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I managed to make a Golden Shower and holy christ :iia:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

palamedes posted:

drat, I didn't know the evilwood gear was that good. Looks like shadewood/ebonwood weapons are iron-level, armor is just short of copper-level. That changes my whole early game strategy.

Urgh, god I butchered that post with typos, but yes, the shadewood weaponry is really rather good, and much easier to get than iron stuff at the start.

The armor is a bit meh but you can make it easily enough, and it's better than nothing, but a shadewood bow/sword is how I generally handle the beginning of the game. Unless you get lucky and get an ice boomerang in a chest, it's probably the best early weaponry you can get your hands on.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Can you plant some trees in a regular biome and then plant some corrupt seeds (I assume crimson has an equivalent) to turn the trees evil? They make some bitchin' furniture too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 12, 2013

Harms
Dec 4, 2006
from outerspace

LAY-ZX posted:

Can't speak for melee, but I have an automatic shotgun that sprays out spread shot Chlorophyte bullets that all instantly turn and home in on the nearest enemy, outputting several hundred damage per second, a sniper rifle that will one-shot every non-boss enemy from orbit and also literally cannot miss because of said Chlorophyte bullets, a shotbow loaded with holy arrows that causes a rain of shooting stars that blocks out the sun when I start firing it, a rocket launcher that is singlehandedly responsible for the complete destruction of enormous sections of our world's underground, and a gun that shoots a piranha that will clear a room with one click.

My mage friend can't even touch my damage output. God drat I can't believe I was complaining about ranged weapons earlier in the thread.

I've tried full shroomite with a Venus Magnum, Megashark, Sniper Rifle, and Tactical shotgun, and they all seemed fun, but underwhelming. I mean just Magnet Sphere alone seems to do comparable damage to ranged. Stack that with the Rainbow gun, Inferno Fork, and Frost Hydra, and I don't see how ranged comes close - especially since with Spectre Armor you're almost invincible.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there any sign of the PC version of the game supporting 360 controllers ever? I was kinda hoping with the 1.2 version that they would finally add it, but I guess not.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Ranged really needs it's own broken method of healing. Maybe blood bullets/arrows that steal health. Melee and mages get to be nigh unkillable while gunners have to swerve around everywhere to avoid getting hit and try to aim their guns during a clusterfuck.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Jusupov posted:

You need to kill a hardmode boss for it to start spawning. It will be visible if it's anywhere on your screen as it gives off light.

:sigh: I wish I had known this sooner :(

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

MR. J posted:

Ranged really needs it's own broken method of healing. Maybe blood bullets/arrows that steal health. Melee and mages get to be nigh unkillable while gunners have to swerve around everywhere to avoid getting hit and try to aim their guns during a clusterfuck.

No, it doesn't. Neither do either of the other two. Having to swerve around everywhere and avoid getting hit is part of what makes it a video game.

If anything it would be cool if the Shroomite Armor's cloaking effect was actually better at losing aggro, at least when someone else is around, though I still prefer running circles around bosses while shooting at them.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

No, it doesn't. Neither do either of the other two. Having to swerve around everywhere and avoid getting hit is part of what makes it a video game.

Pssst. Don't let it get out, but having a method of self healing is also a thing in video games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think he means that, as far as depth of mechanics goes, the combat is already paper thin. Remove the need to maneuver and it becomes completely brainless.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cyberventurer posted:

Eh, I dunno. It's a non-combat item and it's endgame, so getting to zip around anywhere you want when you're near the end of the game is fine to me. Ditto if wings that let you infinitely fly ever get released.

EDIT: I wonder if it could be used to skip Plantera. Is there a guardian for the forest temple like the dungeon?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Man Planterra bulbs take forever to find. I died the first time due to not knowing how the fight works. I mine a ton of Chlorophyte and find a second bulb, but click-select the Magic Mirror halfway through the fight. Now I can't seem to find a third...

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

They don't respawn. Killing him makes another one appear, but if you keep breaking them and losing no more will show up. Like I said earlier, one appears every time you kill a hard mode boss, so kill more of the mechanical dudes to make more appear.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ah thanks. Wiki said otherwise.

Time to farm Rotten Chunks...

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Really? If the wiki says otherwise I might be wrong, that was just my own observation.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In my experience running around the jungle trying to find our server's temple, Plantera bulbs just seemed to spawn at random. Then again this was before the 1.2.0.3 update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RatHat posted:

Eh, I dunno. It's a non-combat item and it's endgame, so getting to zip around anywhere you want when you're near the end of the game is fine to me. Ditto if wings that let you infinitely fly ever get released.

EDIT: I wonder if it could be used to skip Plantera. Is there a guardian for the forest temple like the dungeon?

I tested the Jungle Dungeon as soon as I got it, I could teleport in no problem but this character has killed dozens of Planteras so I dunno if it would stop you otherwise.

• Locked thread