Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Started work on my next costume tonight. Going to be putting together an Arkham Asylum Scarecrow and got a bit of the glove done.

Next step is to figure out the best way to attach the tubes to the gauntlet thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Alright, project is nearing completion - Did another quick makeup test today. The only things that really remain are a haircut (shaved sides, still long on top, probably parted neatly), and the contacts, which I ordered last week and should be here soon. I've sprayed and re-spread the headpiece about 4 times altogether, never quite happy with the color layout (but it's lent it a nice smooth finish at least). I'm still not quite satisfied- I'm going to add a larger gray section on the front of the neck.

sans upper makeup

whole face

I'm trying to decide which version of the makeup to go with - the picture on the right is from an older makeup test, and I'm leaning more towards it. I think in this case less is more, more subdued lines and shading on the face look a little better. On the other hand, the heavier version is far more visually distinct, and when I repaint the neck, the stronger grays on the face will blend nicely with the gray of the neck section. Might just depend on when I wear the drat thing.

I'm calling the whole project 'Phillip K. Marlowe'.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

That's looking awesome! I like right makeup better too, I think it'll photograph better and it's a more cohesive look.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

PezMaster posted:

I would have never thought of latex! I always just think of it as material for thin masks or body appliances - I would have never thought it became rigid and tough in thicker amounts. Is it going to be able to be used over and over again for quite a long time? I know that some thinner latex appliances have to be re-made after a couple of uses. I'm looking for something I can set right into the costume and not worry about.

That skull and silver plate have the texture and detail I'm going for. It confirms that molding and casting is the best way to go about this - thank you!

I've dug out the skull necklace and it seems to have held up really well. There's some slight deformation from being stored shoved in a box rather than carefully kept flat, and some of the glue has delaminated slightly, but for a ~5 year old prop I'd say it's doing fine, it's nowhere near to rotting or perishing and it's still flexible and strong. If you do decide to go this route and want any more specific advice feel free to ask, I'm not the worlds expert but I have used latex a few times and got a feel for it's idiosyncrasies. For example, if you use regular acrylic paint will often flake off, but if you mix it about 50:50 with latex it will adhere really well.

Quite a lot of productions use latex or other casting rubbers; a lot of the background/extra armour in Chronicles of Riddick was made from latex, for example and it's very popular for LARPers because it's flexible and won't get destroyed or hurt the wearer if they fall over. With a bit of care and attention it can look pretty good

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

DetectiveSlowpoke posted:

So, I did a Majora's Mask cosplay and wanted to make another mask. The problem with mine is that the spikes break too easily. I made them out of the stuff you put fake flowers in and strengthened it with a base coat of primer then paint and then put a screw in them to hold it to the mask. This stopped the spikes from breaking off all the way but the tips were too fragile. What i'm getting at is that I am wondering what I should make the spikes out of that isn't so fragile.

This is the mask w/ broken spikes:

Here is what I did to hold them in better:

Here is the whole costume:

Last year I went at Skull Kid for halloween, though I'll consider it cosplay because I don't know anyone else who spent 40+ hours on their costume (most was learning how to use a sewing machine. I made my mask out of plaster bandages, though, and you can tell when you get up close that it lacks the quality yours has. How was trying to see out of it, hahaha, it's the worst costume to do any moving around in.

I only got a couple pics of mine so here's the one without the club logo in the corner:

fake edit: I love the material you used for the hands/shorts

DetectiveSlowpoke
Mar 30, 2010

The best detective
I might as well go into detail about the rest of the costume. The mask was made out of a material called sintra which was formed using a clay mold and a heat gun. The eyes were just a styrofoam ball cut in half. As for the costume itself, the brown stuff is burlap and the orange is felt. The rings are strips of paper bag folded and taped into a ring shape. I used straw-like stuff to wrap around the areas with tape and a dab of hot glue to hold it in place. The hat has a piece of baling twine in each of the pieces to give it shape. Unfortunately they didn't hold too well.

Anyways, i'm heading out to my parents house this weekend to form the mask (and prepare for my trip to vegas- but that's besides the point) so i'll be able to detail the mask making process a bit better hopefully.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

PezMaster posted:

Beautiful! Is it a clay model that you're going to vacuum form? Or is it shaped wonderflex/other sort of plastic?

Sorry for the late reply!

It's a WED clay (water clay originally designed by Disney (WED=Walter E Disney) to make large props and all the junk at disneyworld) sculpt over a rough block out made from old display boards. The final piece will be a fibreglass pos pulled from a fibreglass neg. Hard mode method, but that's what wins comps.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Over on tested.com they have a pretty detailed write up from Volpin on making the Halo needler. Looking through all the detail build logs with how he did stuff helped to put a lot of the pieces together for me on process and creation. Thought I would share if anyone is interested in costuming but fuzzy on some of the details.

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

My new toy from Doopydoo's came in today. It needs some serious TLC before I get into the painting and building. A Vibro-Ax is also on my to-do list, to go along with my partner's Leia costume. My goal is to have at least the weapons (and maybe a few costume pieces, like the Leia front plate) done by Christmas. I hope?

Super 3, thanks for mentioning that Vulpin article. Totally inspiring, especially when I'm trying to conquer my fear of mold making.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
Last minute, but anyone with a good super hero costume near Toronto, there's a charity event in Bowmanville on Saturday looking for help.

Pm me for details

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Super 3 posted:

Over on tested.com they have a pretty detailed write up from Volpin on making the Halo needler. Looking through all the detail build logs with how he did stuff helped to put a lot of the pieces together for me on process and creation. Thought I would share if anyone is interested in costuming but fuzzy on some of the details.

Problem with Volpin's method for most people is it's extremely expensive. There's probably a few hundred dollars in moulding materials alone, not including failed moulds. The only reason he can afford to do so much is because he sells the pulls.

If it's the method you want to use, expect to screw it up at least once or twice per project if it's something that has multiple parts, and has to be mechanically perfect and fit together. I've been working with silicone for about 5 years, and I still get bad moulds. Degassing can help, but you need a degasser, which is pretty much a home made object.

However. It's the best method, by far. Nothing compares in the surface quality of a urethane from silicone pull, short of a rigid mould. But on that note, it's important to say that along with every detail silicone captures, it'll also capture every flaw, so making as close to perfect masters is vital.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I found a gorgeous brown leather coat at a thrift store yesterday for $25. It's pretty distressed and falls to my mid-thigh, and I'm so torn between keeping it as-is and wearing it as an everyday item or modifying it for a pirate costume or something.

Such a hard choice :ohdear:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Alright, in addition to finally fixing my Tricorder for Halloween, I've also 3D printed a VISOR.

I want to make it my own instead of Geordi's, so in addition to printing it in black, I also want to put blue LEDs on the side where the little indention are. Is there a small self-contained LED light that could fit there? I think it would just take a single small bulb to work, which seems like it could be powered by a small watch battery. Where could I get something like that?

Is something like this possible, or should I take another approach?

Kazy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 1, 2013

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dollar Tree sells 3-packs of LED tea lights that are powered by a single CR2032 battery. They're easy as hell to disassemble and replacing the amber LED with a blue one is trivial.

edit: The best way to get a shitload of cheap LEDs with matching voltages (they're all 3.3v white LEDs with colored acrylic casings) is to buy a string of multicolored LED christmas light strings. Home Depot and Lowes usually have strings of 50 for $4-6.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 1, 2013

Agile Sumo
Sep 17, 2004

It could take teams quite a bit of time to master.

Kazy posted:

Alright, in addition to finally fixing my Tricorder for Halloween, I've also 3D printed a VISOR.

Is there a small self-contained LED light that could fit there? I think it would just take a single small bulb to work, which seems like it could be powered by a small watch battery. Where could I get something like that?

Is something like this possible, or should I take another approach?

This is probable the cheapest way to get a light up LED. Just need a small battery, LED, and tape.

http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Throwies/

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Silhouette posted:

Dollar Tree sells 3-packs of LED tea lights that are powered by a single CR2032 battery. They're easy as hell to disassemble and replacing the amber LED with a blue one is trivial.

edit: The best way to get a shitload of cheap LEDs with matching voltages (they're all 3.3v white LEDs with colored acrylic casings) is to buy a string of multicolored LED christmas light strings. Home Depot and Lowes usually have strings of 50 for $4-6.

Thanks! They were just the LED + battery, but it was exactly what I needed. I think I'll keep the LED, I really like the flicker effect. Makes it seem like it's actually doing something, instead of just the steady-on like I was thinking. I grabbed a slider switch from RadioShack to have an easy on/off thing, too.

Also re-printed the bottom half to have room for the batteries.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
How crazy expensive is 3-d printing? I just realized that it could be a solution to my mary poppins umbrella handle needs.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
It depends on whether or not you plan on buying a 3D printer. If you need something printed, someone with a printer would probably do it for a couple of bucks depending on how big it is. If you don't know someone with a printer, check out makexyz if you want to find someone nearby with one. Some goons would probably be willing to print something as well if you already have a 3d model of it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

FirstAidKite posted:

To add onto other tips, never ever ever try to make your own contact lenses by soaking contacts in kool-aid drink mix.
Dear God.

I have an accurate TF2 Engineer costume, but can't take it to cons.

I modified the hat to sit lower on the head, and have the overalls, goggles, extension cord, yellow welding gloves (the in-game glove is actually a lineman's rubber insulating overglove, but that poo poo costs like $200 a pair), and Justin workboots, though I can't find a pic of me wearing all of it. The Remington 870, L. Coes wrench, and shells are the real thing (though the shotgun isn't sawed off ... yet. I need a DSLR before I need a tax stamp on a gun I rarely get to shoot.)

I want to make a pip-boy to hold my smartphone, but :effort:. It's go with the Engineer or random-poo poo-cobbled-together Fallout or crossdressing as Turanga Leela costume, though. Hell, I'd probably wear it daily.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 3, 2013

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Anyone here going to the NYCC this week?

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Realized that I posted this in the wrong cosplay thread.

I've decided I want to try and make the scarecrow fear injector gauntlet I'm working on glow. I have no experience with running El wire or wiring any electronics in general and was wondering if anyone had some good tutorials I can look at to try and figure it out or any suggestions for something easier to use.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

fallin1 posted:

I've decided I want to try and make the scarecrow fear injector gauntlet I'm working on glow. I have no experience with running El wire or wiring any electronics in general and was wondering if anyone had some good tutorials I can look at to try and figure it out or any suggestions for something easier to use.

Concept art would help

In general, LEDs embedded in a translucent medium like friendly plastic or hot glue or behind a frosted finish like certain kinds of tracing paper can work well, and you can get ready wired up LEDs by buying strings of battery powered christmas lights or cheap LED based lights from dollar stores

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Fatkraken posted:

Concept art would help

In general, LEDs embedded in a translucent medium like friendly plastic or hot glue or behind a frosted finish like certain kinds of tracing paper can work well, and you can get ready wired up LEDs by buying strings of battery powered christmas lights or cheap LED based lights from dollar stores

In game model shot of what I'm trying to do.

http://images.wikia.com/kingdomheartsfanon/images/f/ff/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Scarecrow-psd35545.png

What I have so far.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm looking to do a J. P. Prewitt costume (David Ducovny/hand model character from zoolander) for Halloween. What are some recommendations on making the hand chamber that isn't overly difficult or expensive? I was thinking of starting with a 2 liter bottle and kinda working from there, maybe if I wanna get kinda fancy do some cheapo LEDs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

couldcareless posted:

I'm looking to do a J. P. Prewitt costume (David Ducovny/hand model character from zoolander) for Halloween. What are some recommendations on making the hand chamber that isn't overly difficult or expensive? I was thinking of starting with a 2 liter bottle and kinda working from there, maybe if I wanna get kinda fancy do some cheapo LEDs.

EL wire would be super easy to use for that effect.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

fallin1 posted:

Pretty easy. ;p

Get a super bright LED matrix from here: http://www.luxeonstar.com/ and fit it in one end of the tube in it's base for each tube. Then get brand new clear uncoloured cellophane and line the inside of the tubes with enough rolled up to make the tube optically opaque while the LED is off.

Bish bash bosh, you've just made a miniaturised "posh" lightsaber like the ones ultrasabers sell. Then you can just fit a variable resistor to control the brightness.

What you'll need to do is devise a clever way of hiding battery cells and wiring. You could also double the candlepower of the LED by putting a reflector in the other end of the tube.

Safety note: don't look directly into the LEDs, they're bright enough to cause damage to the eye.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Does anyone have any company recommendations for white or as close-to-white contact lenses? If I wanted to go as Sagat, for example, like this cosplayer here:

I know it's really hard to go full-white, but she does an interesting job of making them look opaque.

Is there a good contact lens company that people recommend?

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Mister Roboto posted:

Does anyone have any company recommendations for white or as close-to-white contact lenses? If I wanted to go as Sagat, for example, like this cosplayer here:

I know it's really hard to go full-white, but she does an interesting job of making them look opaque.

Is there a good contact lens company that people recommend?

Definitely go with a big name company. And you will have to jump through hoops to get a prescription. (I am currently trying to get a prescription for some and it's been difficult... But if you're in Chicago by any chance I think I found a doctor that will do it).

http://www.coastal.com/cataract-no-vision-us

cloudy fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 12, 2013

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hi everyone. I'm currently making a Comedian costume from the Watchmen (minutemen) and have a question about recoloring leather. I've got some sheepskin gauntlets that turned out awesome as far as color. I spray painted them with multiple light coats. However, the glove itself remains tacky. Not like "not dry" sticky, but they have a tendency to stick to themselves.

Anybody run into this problem and have a handy solution?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

cloudy posted:

Definitely go with a big name company. And you will have to jump through hoops to get a prescription. (I am currently trying to get a prescription for some and it's been difficult... But if you're in Chicago by any chance I think I found a doctor that will do it).

http://www.coastal.com/cataract-no-vision-us

Thanks so much! But they don't have to be prescription, luckily I don't wear glasses.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Mister Roboto posted:

Thanks so much! But they don't have to be prescription, luckily I don't wear glasses.

If I'm not mistaken, you'll still need to be fitted for contacts. Doesn't matter if they're just for costume-- a lot of these places require a prescription. I could be wrong, though.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

foxatee posted:

If I'm not mistaken, you'll still need to be fitted for contacts. Doesn't matter if they're just for costume-- a lot of these places require a prescription. I could be wrong, though.

Yeah, you're right. If you order online (or in a store) in the US, even if the contacts aren't corrective at all, you have to have a prescription by law. However, you might find some shady dealers online that don't require it... But I'm not sure I would trust putting their products in my eyeballs.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Getting fitted for contacts at an optometrist's office isn't terribly expensive, especially if you're not looking for corrective lenses.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

RazorBunny posted:

Getting fitted for contacts at an optometrist's office isn't terribly expensive, especially if you're not looking for corrective lenses.

Would they do specialty ones?

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Would they do specialty ones?

Some do, some don't. Definitely call around and ask about costume lenses before scheduling an appointment. I made that mistake :smith:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
First outing today - Seoul Comic World! Had a ton of fun - despite a few setbacks, namely dropping one of my contacts down the loving drain while trying to put it in (I guess my character only has 1 prosthetic eye now), the whole shebang held together just fine, so it should be ready for a night on the town come halloween.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
So I am working on Enoshima Junko for Halloween and as if dying fabric wasn't a pain enough I decided to dye plaid fabric to get just the right look. It only needs a few touch ups in a few places but all in all I am pretty happy with it. I keep finding ways to make pleated skirts more and more difficult to make.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

On the topic of contacts, I'm pretty sure I've already said this, but always always always see an optometrist before you go poking stuff in your eye/s. Some people are horribly allergic to some of the suspensions contacts are preserved in, some people have hyper sensitive eyes and might have trouble getting contacts out, some people even just don't have eyes that are suitable for contacts, or don't realise how important hygiene is.

Eyes are one of, if not the single most sensitive and delicate organs in the human body, and almost all damage done to them is permanent. Just ask yourself before skipping the optom stage, "Is saving a few bucks worth risking my sight?"

-Your friendly neighbourhood ex-optical tech.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lord Frisk posted:

Hi everyone. I'm currently making a Comedian costume from the Watchmen (minutemen) and have a question about recoloring leather. I've got some sheepskin gauntlets that turned out awesome as far as color. I spray painted them with multiple light coats. However, the glove itself remains tacky. Not like "not dry" sticky, but they have a tendency to stick to themselves.

Anybody run into this problem and have a handy solution?

Dust them with talcum powder, bang them out, repeat until the gloves no longer stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
I'd really appreciate some suggestions for this Halloween, folks. I love Halloween, and normally I go all out, but I've been really busy this year. I haven't had a chance to work on anything. I'm completely drawing a blank this year, so if people can just shout suggestions at me, I'm hoping you'll jar something loose.

The party I'm going to is on Nov 1st. I'll have exactly 1 week of after-work time to put something together. On hand I have an all-black under armor compression fit long-sleeve shirt and leggings, a grey-green flight suit (I have considered Maverick from Top Gun), a full ghostbusters costume I don't want to reuse, and a willingness to make stuff. In the past I've done Ironman, Ghostbuster, Indiana Jones, and Gambit.

I'm 5'11", 155lbs, and fairly in shape, if that helps with matching up body-types. This is me:

It's really annoying wanting to have a good costume, and having absolutely no idea what to do. A few months ago, I was playing around with the idea of a Ninja Turtle (with my face in his stretched out cartoonish mouth) but time has not been on my side. Maybe next year.