Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Who was it who posted a while ago saying the Affront are basically the cast of Monty Python wearing ridiculous fake moustaches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I can't remember whereabouts it is, have you gotten to the first big battle between the Dwellers and the humans? I found that that was where it started to properly get moving, even though it is definitely a long, drawn out book.

... Nope. :(

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's one of my favorite books, simply for the big reveal that explained the interspersed fragment of a story. I also didn't see coming at all.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Well then, courage, friend! It's all going to get better soon.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Seriously stick it out if only for that bit, it's fantastic. I found myself getting caught up in the dweller's (fictional) excitement.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I can't remember whereabouts it is, have you gotten to the first big battle between the Dwellers and the humans? I found that that was where it started to properly get moving, even though it is definitely a long, drawn out book.

Am now a bit past there, and yeah, things have definitely picked up. I am a little worried it's turning into a MacGuffin but the intrigue has certainly skyrocketed.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The simplest answer is to remember just who it is the Affront are a parody of:

"BANTER!!"

What?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Circle Nine posted:

If you've not read it, Stonemouth is on sale from Amazon for the whole of the month for $3 as part of their Kindle monthly deal thing.
Thanks for this, bought and enjoyed it. I've only read about half of his non M books but so far I've liked them all apart from maybe A Song of Stone, which IIRC is pretty hard to like thanks to how obnoxious the narrator is.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

British upper class?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Shelvocke posted:

British upper class?

Banter is the complete opposite of what the British upper class would sound like...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

nothing to seehere posted:

Banter is the complete opposite of what the British upper class would sound like...

Someone hasn't been near a mid to upper tier university in the UK recently.

Just in case there's any confusion, 'Banter' is a word used by middle and upper class 'lads' to describe their variously misogynistic, classist, or racist patter as 'just a bit of fun'.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

Someone hasn't been near a mid to upper tier university in the UK recently.

Just in case there's any confusion, 'Banter' is a word used by middle and upper class 'lads' to describe their variously misogynistic, classist, or racist patter as 'just a bit of fun'.

I think you are projecting, I very much doubt Banks was intentionally parodying such a tiny subsection of British culture with which he has most likely had very little contact (and which hasn't really been a thing until the last 5 years or so) in a book he wrote in 1996.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Carrier posted:

I think you are projecting, I very much doubt Banks was intentionally parodying such a tiny subsection of British culture with which he has most likely had very little contact (and which hasn't really been a thing until the last 5 years or so) in a book he wrote in 1996.

You misunderstand, I'm not saying that he was specifically writing about uni lad culture, of course he wasn't. But the Affront are a pretty thinly veiled caricature of the fox-hunting, gene pool restricting, cheerfully cruel to anyone who isn't them British Upper Class as a whole.

These guys, basically
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullingdon_Club

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

You misunderstand, I'm not saying that he was specifically writing about uni lad culture, of course he wasn't. But the Affront are a pretty thinly veiled caricature of the fox-hunting, gene pool restricting, cheerfully cruel to anyone who isn't them British Upper Class as a whole.

These guys, basically
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullingdon_Club

Almost exactly I'd say.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
And if you haven't noticed the far left, anti-landed-gentry-and-upper-class overtones, undertones and midtones throughout Banks' collected works, then I'm not sure you've been reading the same books.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
So, I'm wondering what everyone thought of the Mistake Not... . I just finished The Hydrogen Sonata and I wound up really liking it. The ship, that is. Sure, it's pretty arrogant running around with a name like that. At the same time, pretty much every non-Mind develops an attitude with the Minds. The Minds are extraordinarily benevolent and indulging, and bios start thinking that means they're weak. My favorite example is the king of the Hausk in Matter, who told his son that his people had an advantage over the Culture because they were still expanding something something. Ignoring the fact that the Culture has solved every problem that plagues his civilization and then about ten million more they haven't even conceptualized yet. Not to mention the Affront, who actually thought they would get away with pissing off a civilization exponentially larger and more well armed than they were.

Frankly, it was about time a Culture Mind showed a little attitude back.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Red Crown posted:

So, I'm wondering what everyone thought of the Mistake Not... . I just finished The Hydrogen Sonata and I wound up really liking it. The ship, that is. Sure, it's pretty arrogant running around with a name like that. At the same time, pretty much every non-Mind develops an attitude with the Minds. The Minds are extraordinarily benevolent and indulging, and bios start thinking that means they're weak. My favorite example is the king of the Hausk in Matter, who told his son that his people had an advantage over the Culture because they were still expanding something something. Ignoring the fact that the Culture has solved every problem that plagues his civilization and then about ten million more they haven't even conceptualized yet. Not to mention the Affront, who actually thought they would get away with pissing off a civilization exponentially larger and more well armed than they were.

Frankly, it was about time a Culture Mind showed a little attitude back.

Have you read Surface Detail yet?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

gender illusionist posted:

Have you read Surface Detail yet?

Haha, I forgot about the GFCF. They're even better.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Red Crown posted:

Haha, I forgot about the GFCF. They're even better.

Heh, I was thinking about Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000677541

The Kindle daily deal is The Quarry. I'm happy and sad (but mostly sad) :(

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

fookolt posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000677541

The Kindle daily deal is The Quarry. I'm happy and sad (but mostly sad) :(

Thank you for posting this. One of the reviews accused this book of being "a blatant cash grab." What the hell.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I just got done with Stonemouth. I don't think it's one of Iain's most memorable books, though it's still a very good read. It didn't have the fascinating grimness mixed with hope that made The Wasp Factory and Complicity so great, and The Steep Approach to Garbadale did the family politics thing much better. Ellie felt a bit flat as a character too, but the Murston brothers were excellent small town scottish gangsters.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Anyone else think there's an outside chance that The Algebraist and Feersum Enjinn occur in the same universe?

There's a hint or two in FE that there's a wormhole in the castle somewhere.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Shelvocke posted:

Anyone else think there's an outside chance that The Algebraist and Feersum Enjinn occur in the same universe?

There's a hint or two in FE that there's a wormhole in the castle somewhere.

That pretty much rules it out, doesn't it, since Algebraist wormholes could only be in "flat space", like at the center of a planet, right?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

ZekeNY posted:

That pretty much rules it out, doesn't it, since Algebraist wormholes could only be in "flat space", like at the center of a planet, right?

Perhaps the humans that remained on Earth don't know that, they just know that wormholes exist. Plus the crypt is full of super-intelligent AI, I'm sure one of them figured it out.

There's also the similarity in how the rHumans left to join the galactic community, but the status of Earth is left unmentioned.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Well, finished The Algebraist. Pretty disappointing, all things considered. Flabby as hell, and didn't manage to inspire in me any emotional connection to any of the characters. Pretty anti-climactic.

It's a shame, because the Dwellers are fantastic, and there were lots of individual scenes that I quite liked, but overall I just found it really aimless, cold, and indulgent.

I've since started re-reading The Wasp Factory for the first time in ten years, and am struck by how immediately engaging it is by comparison. I'm only at chapter 2 but I am already hooked.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
So this website makes space ships based on names

MEATFUCKER: http://ship.shapewright.com/?name=MEATFUCKER

Ethics Gradient is very asymmetrical: http://ship.shapewright.com/?name=Ethics+Gradient

Clear Air Turbulence: http://ship.shapewright.com/?name=Clear+Air+Turbulence

Cargo Cult is built like a bulldog: http://ship.shapewright.com/?name=Cargo+Cult

Gunboat Diplomat has a really cool design: http://ship.shapewright.com/?name=Gunboat+Diplomat

Kiss the Blade (Affront) is loving badass: http://ship.shapewright.com/?name=Kiss+the+Blade

And we can't forget...

http://ship.shapewright.com/?name=M...Oceans+Of+Wrath

edit: Obliterating Angel is too cool to not post: http://ship.shapewright.com/?name=Obliterating+Angel

Lasting Damage is kinda neat too.

Turpitude fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 3, 2013

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

It's a shame they don't look a thing like the actual ships. I'd post a couple of OUs, but they'd be kinda :nws:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I don't know why, but I usually picture Culture ships as something like the Mon Calamari ships from Star Wars, sort of oblong lumps on lumps on lumps.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

I don't know why, but I usually picture Culture ships as something like the Mon Calamari ships from Star Wars, sort of oblong lumps on lumps on lumps.

Culture ships are spheres of forcefield.

But inside they can't be too lumpy or you wouldn't be able to fit a nice set of forests and oceans and small mountain ranges on them.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

MikeJF posted:

But inside they can't be too lumpy or you wouldn't be able to fit a nice set of forests and oceans and small mountain ranges on them.

Having an apartment with a veranda off the side of a GSV would be pretty awesome.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MikeJF posted:

I seem to recall the outer fields being more ovoid in shape in most descriptions. It's all a bit vague. The Experiencing a Significant Gravitas Shortfall is described as being a big rectangular slab blotting out a good portion of the sky when it's hanging about Masaq orbital in Look To Windward. But it might have had its fields off as it was in-atmosphere.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

MikeJF posted:

Under the fields, I mean, and more the relatively small ships like Contact or Offensive Units. GSVs I see more as kind of long blocky slabs with terrain on top.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Toast Museum posted:

Under the fields, I mean, and more the relatively small ships like Contact or Offensive Units. GSVs I see more as kind of long blocky slabs with terrain on top.

When you have artificial gravity, you can have both sides of a slab be the top.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Thanks to Excession we know exactly what an Offensive Unit looks like. :dong:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Properly armed it can gently caress entire star systems :allears:

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

More butt-pluggy than anything else, but I did make this a few months ago:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It doesn't make for pretty visuals, but I'm pretty sure that at that level of technology, reaction drives are a thing of the distant past. Whatever exotic means of propulsion are moving these ships through space it problem doesn't leave a trail that's visible in fewer than 5 or so dimensions.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Oh I know. And actually in the books (Excession in particular) the main drives are described as reacting against the E-Grid of whatever hyperspace they're in at the time, making a wake like a boat (the grid itself is like a golden ocean of sparkling energy). This is further reinforced by the idea of a "crash stop" which distorts the E-Grid so badly it can be detected halfway across the galaxy. There's also some maximum acceleration that the E-Grid can handle imparting to a ship, so accelerating ships skip back and forth between the hyperspaces (through real space!) to let the respective E-Grids recover or smooth back out.

And of course the ships aren't in regular 3D real space when they're traveling anyway, so the backdrop is inaccurate too.

I think a fully realized vision of Culture ships in flight would have to be animated. There's just too much going on to show in one 2D image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Oh I know. And actually in the books (Excession in particular) the main drives are described as reacting against the E-Grid of whatever hyperspace they're in at the time, making a wake like a boat (the grid itself is like a golden ocean of sparkling energy). This is further reinforced by the idea of a "crash stop" which distorts the E-Grid so badly it can be detected halfway across the galaxy. There's also some maximum acceleration that the E-Grid can handle imparting to a ship, so accelerating ships skip back and forth between the hyperspaces (through real space!) to let the respective E-Grids recover or smooth back out.

And of course the ships aren't in regular 3D real space when they're traveling anyway, so the backdrop is inaccurate too.

I think a fully realized vision of Culture ships in flight would have to be animated. There's just too much going on to show in one 2D image.

I think even an animated adaptation would have to really compromise a lot on the physics and stuff in order to make the show watchable. After all, Minds think and talk to each other at a speed we simply can't comprehend.

Given all that, I would still watch the ever-loving poo poo out of an adaptation of Excession or Look to Windward.

• Locked thread