Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
When it comes to DotA 2 griefing, it's hard to go past Blinkin' 'n' Slamin' Anti Mage

For those of you unfamiliar with Dota2, Antimage is a hero with a move that allows him to 'blink' (or teleport a short distance, if you haven't played an RPG before). He is also a hero intended for fighting in close combat with his normal attack, rather than using damaging spells or items.

The set of items in this video: an item which gives him a blink spell, and an item which gives him a spell that does a huge chunk of damage instantly. It allows him to troll both his own team (this is not a helpful, useful item build for the team, and he can steal kills all day with it) AND troll the enemy team (appears out of nowhere, instantly kills you, disappears).

Beautiful. I apologise if this has been posted before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Splode posted:

(this is not a helpful, useful item build for the team) ..... (appears out of nowhere, instantly kills you, disappears).

This is why I will never understand DOTA 2.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Problem is there are 4 other people that the mangina is ignoring, which is generally not what a carry is supposed to be doing.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mystic Mongol posted:

You're stealing the kill and ignoring the four other people you should probably be fighting, since whoever was about to kill this guy had it on lockdown anyway.

efb

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Taciturn Tactician posted:

To add content, one fairly easy to execute grief in TF2 has always been putting a teleporter exit at a previous spawn on maps where the attackers get forward spawns after capturing a point, and then putting a teleport entrance outside your current spawn. There's an arrow on them that points in the direction the teleporter leads to, but people rarely pay attention to that.

Posted a few times in this thread:

That medic was the server admin, and that spray was... well he wasn't banning me for that but somehow the teleporter was wrong.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 12, 2013

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

VeggieSmuggler posted:

In Dota 2 there's a hero named "Pudge" who can become extremely tanky if the game goes on..

The Antlion Strategy
If you're Pudge on dire and the enemy team has no spells that clear trees in an AOE you can forcestaff yourself into the trees to the right of radiant's bottom barracks. You then sit there and repeatedly forcestaff yourself left until you hit the right wall of the radiant fountain. From here you are almost impossible to kill due to the lack of space and the fact that your hiding spot is basically unapproachable unless they want to run in a straight line directly at you.

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's fairly trivial to build items that allow you to pop out and burn all of your mana to murder someone with magic. It takes much, much longer to build items that make your autoattacks damaging enough for you to hold your own in a multiman fight indefinitely. The carry is supposed to do the latter while everyone else does the former.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's just a matter of efficiency. AM can do so many better things, like kill a whole team nearly-instantly, rather than one dude. The problem is that after nuking one dude down, he's dead weight and can't do anything useful because his mana is gone and he has no attack items.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"I will never understand DOTA 2"

"No problem, allow all ten of us to try and explain it in different ways, none which still make any sense to someone who doesn't play DOTA!"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chomp8645 posted:

"I will never understand DOTA 2"

"No problem, allow all ten of us to try and explain it in different ways, none which still make any sense to someone who doesn't play DOTA!"

I don't play DOTA and understand them just fine :shrug:

But, I'll translate it into a way you can understand.

What their saying, is that Antimage should never give you up. (you being the team)
Should never let you down
never run around and desert you.

You see, carries can't be blind to how the team is feeling.

Does this help?

E: Fixed how awful it way too make it less awful.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 12, 2013

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Turtlicious posted:

I don't play DOTA and understand them just fine :shrug:

But, I'll translate it into a way you can understand.

What their saying, is that Antimage should never give you up. (you being the team)
Should never let you down
never run around and desert you.

You see, carries can't be blind to how the team is feeling.

Does this help?

Oddly, this is the best explanation so far.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 12, 2013

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Does this help?

They finally sent a poet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I think the larger question is, in the context of this thread, does anyone give a flying poo poo? I think if you honestly consider that question for a few moments you will find the answer is a resounding 'no'. So let's stop talking about the specific dynamics of games you either love or hate (and, consequently, either already know or don't care to know) and get back to talking about griefing!

Content:

Believe it or not, Alien Swarm was a fantastic place to harvest rage in the yesteryear that it was actually relevant. Being a co-op game with friendly fire, you could always screw over someone you hated by simply pushing them over the edge of death, particularly if you were a medic that was supposed to be healing them. However, one of the best things to do involved any of the heavy airlocks the game had, a welder, and a chainsaw.

There were a few areas scattered among the levels that you would walk through one of the airlocks and later return through them. Most people never thought much of anything about these doors, since they didn't have any real purpose besides being a place to weld shut. If you welded the door, the enemies would have to break it down before they could chase you.

So an easy way to murder your entire team would be to set up shop near one of these switchback doors and tell them to run ahead, so you could keep the heat off their backs. Weld the door shut to prove your point. After they were gone, you could pull out the chainsaw and go to town on the door, leaving just a little bit of its HP left before it tumbled over. Let the event go off as normal - you have to be competent enough to survive on your own with this strategy, but if you were using the flamethrower as your other weapon this generally wasn't difficult (it's a fantastic weapon). As your allies return, they'll ask for the door to be unwelded so they can get through. At which point you say 'okay, hold on a moment', pull out your chainsaw, and finish off the door so it drops on them.

A door dropping on you is instant death, regardless of your current health.

The initial shock and anger from this is pretty funny, but what really was amazing was the mounting rage that occurred as the level went on. Again, presuming you knew your weapons and your enemies fairly well, the flamethrower + chainsaw could butcher pretty much any challenge in the game. Most people presume that when you kill off your whole team in a co-op game, you will die shortly afterward as a rule. Alien Swarm provides plenty of ways to escape this fate, though, and forcing your victims to watch you solo the rest of the map, probably without much of a scratch on you, made for a rare and delicious brand of mounting frustration. And if you do this on anything but the last level, there's then an awkward Mexican standoff as the people you just murdered try to decide what to do with you. On one hand, you just killed them all, but on the other, you're clearly good enough to get them through without their help, and XP is good stuff, man!

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Coolguye posted:

forcing your victims to watch
If I'm not mistaken Alien Swarm circa launch would slow down time for dramatic effect when a squadmate died, and there was a class with the ability to slow down time at will; these stacked exponentially, so you could get a teammate killed through your negligence and then trap everyone in molasses while they watch him die forever.

everyone posted:

what is the deal with dota 2 oh noooooo
It's simple. Dota 2 is Valve's cash-in of a Warcraft mod written by 19 year-olds, which as you might expect is full of absurd mechanics that over the years became as inseparable from the game as stains on a mattress. Emotionally invested fans want to wholly love the game, but to do so they must disown the stupid parts that will necessarily never change, hence writing them off as griefing. Don't dwell on it, we're here for actual griefs and I have plenty.

Dota 2 no longer allows name changes after matches have been arranged, presumably because me and friends weren't the only people who would impersonate clans and make fun of them.

We would put the tags on asap and declare we were holding public tryouts and anyone in the game was welcome to tag up and impress us, all while heckling the actual members for perceived mistakes even if they weren't making any. If they died everyone heard about it. Unlike on a private server where anger at the wrong internet letters could be reinforced by a ban, their only recourse was silent fuming and/or slurs.

If you actually put a clan together and have clan-on-clan matches, the banner textures on your half of the map are replaced with your clan's dumb emblem. The :nws: half of ours was on the other side of the lane but I'll hide it anyways: http://i.imgur.com/KU6062S.jpg

Custom games are possible, though any gimmick will probably tip Dota's precarious game balance over the edge. I guess most people like experimenting with crazy combos but we just come up with plans to trap enemies in their spawn and humiliate them.

There is no function in Dota to forfeit a hopeless match, so they either put up with this horseshit or leave, and you know how pubbies are about leaving.

Last but not least, players reported for misconduct enough on Dota 2 are temporarily sent down to the "low priority punishment queue", where matchmaking will make them wait forever to play with and against the game's biggest idiots. This would be pretty cool except that the system is completely automated, and "got enough reports in a short time" is the only criteria for punishment, so get enough people (your friends) on board and you can get someone punished for nothing at all. Seeya:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Mystic Mongol posted:

To hop on the bandwagon:

The game is a 5v5 fight. The Anti-Mage has bought a fairly expensive item that is an inferior version of one of his normal abilities, and another that lets him do a reasonable chunk of damage to steal the last hit on a hero that was already about to die. His entire contribution to any given battle will be to blink in, zap someone, and blink out.

That said, building the zap stick on random melee heroes when you're getting fed can make people hilariously angry, especially ones that normally have no ranged abilities at all because nobody's expecting you to be able to damage them without standing on top of them.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

tomanton posted:

Dota 2 no longer allows name changes after matches have been arranged, presumably because me and friends weren't the only people who would impersonate clans and make fun of them.

We would put the tags on asap and declare we were holding public tryouts and anyone in the game was welcome to tag up and impress us, all while heckling the actual members for perceived mistakes even if they weren't making any. If they died everyone heard about it. Unlike on a private server where anger at the wrong internet letters could be reinforced by a ban, their only recourse was silent fuming and/or slurs.

Clans of 15 year olds are always a honeypot for easy griefing.

Back in COD: Modern Warfare 2 with the goon group I normally played with, if we hopped into a match and everyone had the same clan tag on the other side, we'd normally just silently all change our clan tags to match theirs. Occasionally we'd accuse them of trying to impersonate us or whatever a bunch of drunk goons playing video games felt like doing that day, but I was always a fan of the silent treatment.

Of course once the match started we'd just tube them to death in their own spawn. (I know the infinite m203 trick was explained earlier in the thread; basically you use a skill called One Man Army to get unlimited grenade launchers which would piss pubbies off to no end).

Most people didn't realize we were one big group because we didn't have the same clan tags, even though most of us had some sort of running gimmick that anyone with half a brain can put together. I have a fond memory of some kid who didn't know what my [LGBT] clan tag meant and tried to come up with his own gay sounding acronym, trying to insult me. Oh kid, you had no idea just how gay LGBT already is, I don't think it's possible to come up with something gayer (And if there was something gayer, I would've been using it).

We knew all of the "mortaring" spots as well. Basically pre-determined spots to aim where you could combine the infinite grenade launcher trick to bomb a point across the entire map which you had no line of sight on. It was unfun, unfair bullshit and that's why we all did it. That game wasn't even that fun after a while, I only played because the pubbie rage that the goon group got was the best part of the whole thing. You don't even have to try to get rage out of the COD community though, they're pretty easy targets as it is.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Voyager I posted:

building the zap stick on random melee heroes when you're getting fed

You people just can't help it, can you?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

IrvingWashington posted:

I don't play MOBAs, but if I'm recalling correctly, "getting fed" means that that hero's goal is to get the killing blow on enemy heroes as much as possible in order to eventually become an unstoppable juggernaut that more or less wins the game on their own at that point.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

IrvingWashington posted:

"Feeding" is just a MOBA way of saying "dying to the other team repeatedly". When you kill another player, you get money and experience, usually a lot more than killing off a normal NPC mook enemy. When this happens over and over, you're "feeding" them free EXP and cash, which they use to get an advantage over your team, and if "fed" enough, become an over-levelled unstoppable juggernaut of death. Intentionally feeding to throw games is a big enough problem that you can get banned for it in most MOBAs, because there's no way for your teammates to stop you waltzing up to an enemy player and letting them smash your face in.

Of course, in the typical highly-toxic MOBA community, usually ANY death to the other team is called feeding.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
MOBA is a stupid acronym, DOTA and its ilk are dumb games, and you jerks are griefing me for real by continually making GBS threads up the thread with boring stories about them.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
MOBAs are all terrible games, and I grief myself when I play them.

Somebody tell some more funny stories about griefing perhaps?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Uhhh, my buddy and I used to get really high and go on to the Civ 4 multiplayer lobby and tell people we hosed their dads.

Don't really remember why.

Edit: Civ 4 also had a feature where you could put signs down in multiplayer on specific tiles and write whatever you want in them. Obviously references to how much a dick X was were common, but it escalated to a whole new level when we realized that a properly placed sign could actually hide the city display. I think at one point we had a game where 50% of the available terrain was an endless series of swear words obscuring all game-relevant information.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 14, 2013

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Icedude posted:

"Feeding" is just a MOBA way of saying "dying to the other team repeatedly". When you kill another player, you get money and experience, usually a lot more than killing off a normal NPC mook enemy. When this happens over and over, you're "feeding" them free EXP and cash, which they use to get an advantage over your team, and if "fed" enough, become an over-levelled unstoppable juggernaut of death. Intentionally feeding to throw games is a big enough problem that you can get banned for it in most MOBAs, because there's no way for your teammates to stop you waltzing up to an enemy player and letting them smash your face in.

Of course, in the typical highly-toxic MOBA community, usually ANY death to the other team is called feeding.

It gets better or worse (depending on which side you are on) if the hero gets bonus stats for killing players. In the War3 map, Pudge would gain Strength(therefore more hitpoints and damage) for every kill/assist he was on, Silencer Stole enemy's intelligence stat, double so if he got the killing blow.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So more Magic stories. I have several friends who insist on playing multiplayer games, and get all pissy if anything should happen that end the game, kill someone off, or generally make poo poo happen. They want their slower decks to have time to go off and for the game to be some sort of bland Cold War deal until poo poo Starts Happening.

Naturally, I disagree with this. However, I'm willing to play ball. I've built some pillowfort-controlly decks, inevitably named something along the lines of Fort Kickass (Where your authority is not recognized). My favorite one to play is turbo fog. If you're familiar with Turbofog, you know what comes next. You may commence groaning, now.

For the uniniated, Turbofog consists of two things; Fog cards, like Fog, which prevent all combat damage from happening on one turn. Since most decks expect to win via their monsters punching you in the dick, it's pretty useful, but only stops damage from one turn, and totally useless against any and all non-combat damage (of which there is plenty). The Turbo comes from cards like Howling Mine, which causes everyone in the game to draw an additional card each turn. The game speeds up, and everyone gets more cards with which they can not attack me. In multiplayer games, this is sometimes called a "Grouphug" effect, wherein you provide everyone with something nice so they're less likely to attack or annoy you, so they keep getting the nice things.

My preferred variants of turbofog involve Isochron Scepter, which allows you to imprint an instant with a cost of 2 or less under it, which includes Fogs, and then allows you to use it cast copies of that card. While you can only do it once per round, as you have to tap the Scepter to use it, you can have multiple of them or use Shenangens to untapt hem during your opponent's turns. So you're ready to fog all the time. I also use Acidic Slime, which is my favorite card ever. It's an expensive but very weak creature, that has two nice things; when it enters the battlefield, it allows you to blow up an opponent's land, or artifact or enchantment, and has deathtouch, so if it deals damage to any creature, that creature is destroyed. Then it runs stuff like Venser, The Sojourner or Mistmeadow Witch, which are cards that allow you to blink other cards; exile them temporarily and then come back. So Acidic Slime disappears and comes and disappears and comes back and suddenly everyone is losing lands.

Pretty soon everyone is on the road to decking themsleves out, has no lands, and if they have any creatures left, they're pretty much useless. You wanna play a Cold War? Fine. Nobody goes to war with anybody. Go start a proxy war or something.

We also play Emperor, a multiplayer variant of magic, which requires six people. There are two teams, each consisting of one Emperor, and two generals. The generals sit on either side of their Emperor, and both teams sit across from each other. The goal is to defeat the enemy Emperor, which can only be done once a general has been defeated, because to make things interesting, the generals can only affect the one seat to their right or left. They rest of the game doesn't exist to them. IF they cast a spell that effects everyone, it effects themselves, their opposing general, and their own Emperor. The game calls this "range", which is short for Range of Efect or someting. The same limitations apply to the Emperors, who have a range of two, meaning they can affect everything except their enemy Emperor.

When we play this, we sit the generals on the same turn, so as to speed things up and limit the effectiveness of cards like Seedborn Muse, which heavily benefit from numerous turns. Also it makes tactics a little bit more interesting, as the Emperors have more potential choices to deal with per turn, having to balance the needs of both generals at the same time.

It wasn't until I was playing as a turbofog Emperor that i realised it made the deck terribly, terribly broken. Putting a fog on the Isochron scepter allows me to fog out my enemies combat steps, while i'm also able to develop my land destroying, permanent exiling boardstate in peace, as I cannot be screwed with until a general is dead.

Long story short: My friends (and other players on campus) want to play really slow games where nothing happens, so I goddamned enforce that poo poo.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

tomanton posted:

This would be pretty cool except that the system is completely automated, and "got enough reports in a short time" is the only criteria for punishment, so get enough people (your friends) on board and you can get someone punished for nothing at all. Seeya:

This doesn't actually work just fyi, multiple reports in one game just roll together into one. I guess if you got matched up with them a few times in a row somehow?

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
New magic cards are regularly published in themed sets where the cards share a common setting in the fiction and introduce or expand new mechanics and strategies to the game. There exist a couple of gag sets where the cards usually mandate weird meta poo poo like "force your opponent to rhyme / sit on his hands / say please before doing anything" or "your creatures are as powerful as a pile of shoes you build is tall." It's loving stupid, completely ridiculous, and the most fun you can have playing magic.

Some friends and I had a tournament night with these sets exclusively, and it was all going swell until I met this smug son of a bitch:

Not remarkably strong, but any creature you can play for free whenever you want is nothing to sneeze at for a number of strategic reasons.

He slipped it past me a few times until I wised up, but of course he had multiple copies and that's when things turned sour as he resorted to getting that loving card out by any means necessary, including enlisting spectators to run interference or just palm it onto the table for him.

Someone blowing up my phone? It was just my pal across the table, and by the way here's Cheaty. Who's that tapping me on the shoulder? Why, it's Cheatyface. Gosh, that card sleeve is pretty thick. Say, there's two cards in there, no wonder! Guess what the other one was.

I don't blame him for using the hell out of that card, but I took offense to preparing tricks like the double-sleeve poo poo before the match and roping in spectators to help him out. It was a friendly tournament, so I didn't lose anything but my good humor in the end, but you better believe those dicks loved every second of it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I remember one of those tournaments turning into a track event/martial arts contest because people decided to start using Vile Bile in matches they weren't playing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Tulip posted:

I remember one of those tournaments turning into a track event/martial arts contest because people decided to start using Vile Bile in matches they weren't playing.

Ahahahaha, this is amazing.
Although apparently, according to the comments, the head designer of the game eventually had to make a ruling saying that the card's effect doesn't take place if someone hits or touches you with the card, only if you touch the card yourself. :v:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

New magic cards are regularly published in themed sets where the cards share a common setting in the fiction and introduce or expand new mechanics and strategies to the game. There exist a couple of gag sets where the cards usually mandate weird meta poo poo like "force your opponent to rhyme / sit on his hands / say please before doing anything" or "your creatures are as powerful as a pile of shoes you build is tall." It's loving stupid, completely ridiculous, and the most fun you can have playing magic.

Some friends and I had a tournament night with these sets exclusively, and it was all going swell until I met this smug son of a bitch:

I played a memorable game with the Unglued joke set where early in the game I cast handcuffs on my opponent:

This forced him to play the entire game with his wrists crossed, exactly as shown in the picture. Then I proceeded to drag out the game as long as possible while being a complete dick. I was using some blue/black control deck that was designed to be extremely annoying. I would counter any spells my opponent cast, I would kill (or force him to sacrifice) any creatures he played. I slowly whittled him down to a few health, while letting him do just enough damage to think he could beat me. Finally, he managed to get enough creatures in play to attack me and deliver the killing blow, at which point I played some instant damage spell I had held in reserve for half the game, taking off his last bit of health before his attack could reach me.

At this point he screams, leaps across the table, grabs me by the neck and tries to strangle me. I started laughing uncontrollably, because he was trying to kill me with his wrists still crossed.

Most of my Magic games could probably be considered griefing, since I discovered at a very young age that when people are really, really mad, they don't make the best strategic decisions.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Avulsion posted:

Most of my Magic games could probably be considered griefing, since I discovered at a very young age that when people are really, really mad, they don't make the best strategic decisions.

Hell, back when I played chess my entire strategy was "don't fret over mistakes, make a good enough move within ten seconds of your turn starting and look like you're a lot smarter than you really are." I actually intimidated a guy to tears in one tournament, "I can handle losing but STOP TOYING WITH ME LIKE THIS". Mostly that was because my high school had an insanely good chess team (the high point of my time there was earning sixth board on the A team after three guys graduated) so I went into every match expecting to be outclassed in skill and looking for ways to throw them off their game without being an obvious jerk about it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Avulsion posted:

At this point he screams, leaps across the table, grabs me by the neck and tries to strangle me. I started laughing uncontrollably, because he was trying to kill me with his wrists still crossed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

My favorite one to play is turbo fog.

You're a lovely person and I hate you. :smith:

Acidic slime turbofog is pretty hilarious though.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Avulsion posted:

Handcuffs

In leiu of a paragraph describing how much I love these things, I will just use a series of smilies.

:monocle: :mmmhmm: :what: :hfive: :stonklol: :neckbeard: :psyduck:

:golfclap:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Magic through the years also has alot of obscure and fun cards that are almost as absurd as, or are the origin of unlglued/unhinged cards.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=980
is the reason this exists
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=74312

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=603
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=5712
If i remember, someone actually shredded a chaos orb in the late stages of a tournament, and that's the origin of this set.

Personally, my favorite card from around when i played was this:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=39923

Artificial evolution. A cheap 1 cost spell, it simply "changed" the text on a card, replacing one creature type with another of your choice. Back when this was in the tournament legal rotation, everything was about creature types, and strongly so. With this card you could ruin other player's combos with ease, or pull tricks out of your rear end that normally wouldn't work.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Bruceski posted:

Hell, back when I played chess my entire strategy was "don't fret over mistakes, make a good enough move within ten seconds of your turn starting and look like you're a lot smarter than you really are." I actually intimidated a guy to tears in one tournament, "I can handle losing but STOP TOYING WITH ME LIKE THIS". Mostly that was because my high school had an insanely good chess team (the high point of my time there was earning sixth board on the A team after three guys graduated) so I went into every match expecting to be outclassed in skill and looking for ways to throw them off their game without being an obvious jerk about it.

Are you me? I did the exact same thing. My favorite trick when I didn't have any good moves was to make the stupidest move possible then sit back with a smug grin on my face. Queue five minutes of my opponent tearing out his hair trying to find the non-existent trap that he's missing. There were a few people in my chess club who won a lot of games but weren't actually that good at chess, they just memorized the "best" moves for most situations. When I went off-script they tended to have nervous breakdowns.

More like right hand on my throat, left hand flapping uselessly over on the side.

Avulsion fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 14, 2013

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Unglued/Unhinged cards aren't tournament legal except in formats made pretty much specifically to include them and are generally assumed to be illegal in non-tournament play too unless said otherwise(The obvious exception being basic lands since they still function like normal lands. They also look totally BAMF since they're full card art, I have this one in holofoil). They're literally joke sets, and are designed to be as stupid and ridiculous as possible. Anyone getting pissed at them is a loving moron because they in all likelyhood had to specifically agree to play against them.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

In leiu of a paragraph describing how much I love these things, I will just use a series of smilies.

:monocle: :mmmhmm: :what: :hfive: :stonklol: :neckbeard: :psyduck:

:golfclap:

In lieu of spelling out my appreciation for your post, I will just use a single smilie.

:frogout:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Orv posted:

You're a lovely person and I hate you. :smith:

Acidic slime turbofog is pretty hilarious though.

Acidic Slime makes everything better. I've run through various versions of it, but the ones with acidic slime are the best.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

frodnonnag posted:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=603
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=5712
If i remember, someone actually shredded a chaos orb in the late stages of a tournament, and that's the origin of this set.
I don't think I have it anymore, but a Magic: The Gathering magazine called InQuest once printed a Chaos Orb that was four times the size of a regular card, shown on the right:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I don't think I have it anymore, but a Magic: The Gathering magazine called InQuest once printed a Chaos Orb that was four times the size of a regular card, shown on the right:

I really, really want to see somebody stroll up with their deck, cut, shuffle, etc with just one big loving card in the middle of the deck somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I used to hear all manner of apocryphal stories about dudes tearing up their chaos orb and just sprinkling it over their opponents' cards.

• Locked thread