Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hajime-no-Ippo/1031?id=175837

New chapter! Let's get this started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
That poncho is tacky.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
More importantly, we got a date for the third anime season!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Nahxela posted:

That poncho is tacky.
Ippo isn't exactly known for it's classy representation of racial/national pride.

Hawk walked in with giant spiked armor on and 4 platinum blonds on his arm; we're lucky Gonzo didn't step into the ring and triumphantly eat a taco or something.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Fabricated posted:

we're lucky Gonzo didn't step into the ring and triumphantly eat a taco or something.

That's the only way to eat a taco. With triumph :smug:

As for those panels where Miyata looks at Gonzalez's feet, my guess is that he saw that the soles of the shoes are flat i.e. he's a speed dude like Takagi and Miyata.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Calling it now. Round one knockout by Ippo, potentially with him not getting hit once.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Kal-L posted:

As for those panels where Miyata looks at Gonzalez's feet, my guess is that he saw that the soles of the shoes are flat i.e. he's a speed dude like Takagi and Miyata.

I wonder if Gonzalez is dying/being crippled by anim-itis and has to win the world championship line right now It has been a while but I think it was hinted at a bit when his character was introduced.

So his pace might indicate that he is not at 100%. Maybe. I can be totally off base here.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Kal-L posted:

Actually I think that it's because he's maybe wearing the type of shoes an infighter typically wears. This was a brief thing really early in the series, and I think it'd fit well with what Gonzalez seemed to feel about machismo and the fact that, up until potentially this point, he's been a knock-off Martinez.

It's basically him trying to announce himself as having evolved past simply imitating Martinez.

Or it could be something else entirely.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

FriggenJ posted:

Calling it now. Round one knockout by Ippo, potentially with him not getting hit once.

This is what I want. All that talk about Ippo seeming to get weaker was just him working on his on secret plan of something.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

SerSpook posted:

Actually I think that it's because he's maybe wearing the type of shoes an infighter typically wears. This was a brief thing really early in the series, and I think it'd fit well with what Gonzalez seemed to feel about machismo and the fact that, up until potentially this point, he's been a knock-off Martinez.

It's basically him trying to announce himself as having evolved past simply imitating Martinez.

Or it could be something else entirely.

http://mangafox.me/manga/hajime_no_ippo/v01/c007/9.html

But.. but... continuity! :argh:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1032/2080/1

Let's get this party started.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What a time for Morikawa to take a break.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Oh gently caress, how far away is Issue 46? A week?

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
The old kamogawa VA died :smith:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah. :(

Also crap it's on break? But we just barely started.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
Hooray! The post-war flashback will be in the new season! I also really like Sawamura.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

furiouskoala posted:

Hooray! The post-war flashback will be in the new season! I also really like Sawamura.

Thank christ. Aside from eagle this is basically the only thing I'm really looking forward to.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Will there be a thread for the new show?

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
There should be, this is the manga discussion thread.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
New Ippo Anime starts off with a nice montage of Ippo laying the Dempsey on a bunch of competitors

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Nahxela posted:

New Ippo Anime starts off with a nice montage of Ippo laying the Dempsey on a bunch of competitors

How are you watching?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Crunchyroll should have it up if you have a premium/pass account

They also have a clip for the opening:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/hajime-no-ippo-the-fighting/episode-1-644625

Playing the new Jojo's game and coming to this series is funky because of the shared VAs.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

The new Kamogawa VA does a good job :unsmith:.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Not really feeling the new opening yet.

But it's great to see Ippo back! Can't wait for this season!

;___; Ippo has the best Mom.

Sonata Mused fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 6, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I'm not qualified enough in Ippo to make a decent OP thread :(

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Dunno if it was just a flashback thing, but it was nice to hear some of the old music again.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I watched the first episode of Rising this morning after my run and I'm really excited for the season. I enjoyed the new VA for Kamogawa and outside of the music the new OP credits are great.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Replacing the announcer is just about the worst thing they could have done :smith:.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

KoB posted:

Replacing the announcer is just about the worst thing they could have done :smith:.

Yup. It really made the match less exciting.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hajime-no-Ippo/1034?id=176871

Ch. 1034.

Behold...the world level!!

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Please... pretty please. Let him show some drat growth rather than getting his face punched in for umpteen pages anew.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We're back to like one notable maneuver per chapter again, blargh.

At least this looks like a boxing match and not a retarded chimpboy backflipping all over the ring.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blinks77 posted:

Please... pretty please. Let him show some drat growth rather than getting his face punched in for umpteen pages anew.

Given that his weakness was more or less foreshadowed, we're probably in for at least 7 or 8 chapters* of him getting dominated before he makes any sort of comeback.

*The really sad thing is that I'm not exaggerating for comedic effect in the slightest when I say this, and everyone else in this thread knows it.

Kolos
Jul 19, 2009
My hopeless hope is:

Ippo get owned fast. While the referee is counting to ten mashiba start laughing like a creep until Kumi lose it and KO him, making him fall at the same time that "ten" echoes in the ring.
After that at least 15 chs of takamura screwing around and kumi thinking on becoming a boxer

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

Given that his weakness was more or less foreshadowed, we're probably in for at least 7 or 8 chapters* of him getting dominated before he makes any sort of comeback.

*The really sad thing is that I'm not exaggerating for comedic effect in the slightest when I say this, and everyone else in this thread knows it.

Ippo will get hit a few million times before he starts his counter-attack, then Gonzales will use *machismo* to swing the fight back in his favor, activating Ippo's Japanese spirit. Then Ippo will pull a new type of of Depsey for the KO.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

trucutru posted:

Gonzales will use *machismo*

This is making my eye twitch every time I read it; in Spanish, "machismo" doesn't have the same meaning as "manliness" (which I think Morikawa was going for), but is rather chauvinism as in "males are superior to women".

So basically Gonzales uses the power of being a dick to women to win. :v:

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

This is making my eye twitch every time I read it; in Spanish, "machismo" doesn't have the same meaning as "manliness" (which I think Morikawa was going for), but is rather chauvinism as in "males are superior to women".

So basically Gonzales uses the power of being a dick to women to win. :v:

Midway through the round, Gonzales turns to face the audience and calls Kumi a bitch. Ippo goes ragemode and unleashes the new dempsey.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fabricated posted:

We're back to like one notable maneuver per chapter

It says a lot about Ippo that deflecting a punch in a boxing match is a notable maneuver.

I'm hoping that if this fight ever gets animated, Gonzales' battle aura unashamedly possesses a sombrero, a Mexican flag unfurls in the background with every power punch, and mariachi music plays in the background whenever the camera is focused on him.

Kave
Dec 29, 2008

Fancy sweater vests for all!
I think we're finally going to see Ippo get downed.

It's been so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kave posted:

I think we're finally going to see Ippo get downed.

It's been so long.

A big difference I can see between this and most of Ippo's other matches is that there has been virtually zero positive foreshadowing for this match. As far as I can remember, they haven't talked at all about Ippo developing anything new (or fixing weaknesses, whatever) to help him with this match, so if he pulls something off it's going to have to be pretty much out of nowhere.

At the same time, I can't really see him making Ippo lose this match. Having the first fight after he decides to "take on the world" be a nonstarter doesn't seem like something that will happen, even if by all accounts it should happen.