Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

So it appears that the WonderTrade function is at 100% abuse rate. I keep trading half-decent Pokemon and getting Fletchlings and Bidoofs.

That being said, I just caught a Bagon just outside the fossil lab thingo.

Well the game just came out so nobody has anything else worth trading. Although I haven't actually caught a fletchling yet and my party is in the 50s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Gaseous Snake posted:

I've been getting nothing but Weedles. I evolve them and send them out for even more Weedles.

I should catch some mons to Wonder Trade then, I really want a Weedle and have only met Caterpie. I guess Weedle is an X exclusive?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tusen Takk posted:

So it appears that the WonderTrade function is at 100% abuse rate. I keep trading half-decent Pokemon and getting Fletchlings and Bidoofs.

To be fair Fletchlings and Bidoofs is likely all a lot of people who just got the game have at this point.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Does anyone know why the Sea Spirit's Den exists?

Where else is the Sea Spirit going to live? Come on, man.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oooh, you missed it a while ago. The town with the aquarium and the fossil lab. Take the time to go back to the Glittering Cave too once you get Rock Smash. There's an Old Amber in one of the rocks right in the final area.

poo poo, I went right by it too. Looks like I'll be making a return trip.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oooh, you missed it a while ago. The town with the aquarium and the fossil lab. Take the time to go back to the Glittering Cave too once you get Rock Smash. There's an Old Amber in one of the rocks right in the final area.

Yeah, I just flew there and the first NPC I talk to gives me it :doh:

Thanks for the advice. Loving this game so far, way too many pokemon to choose though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zore posted:

The Old Amber is a random drop from the rocks. I had to leave and re-enter that room a half dozen times to get one.

Is there just the one? Or is it farmable?

edit: Also as a general missable thing; Talk to the NPC's on the beach just after that town and you'll find someone who gives you a dowsing rod. It'll net you a shitload of good items just walking around the beaches.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Was there any purpose to the glittering/mirror cave other than to get through it?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Avalerion posted:

To be fair Fletchlings and Bidoofs is likely all a lot of people who just got the game have at this point.

True, I'm one of those fucks that have had it for over 24hrs and expect everyone else to pour their entire day off into the game.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Twenty minutes in the Friend Safari, and I all I got was this lousy Shiny Wartortle :smug:.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Is there just the one? Or is it farmable?

edit: Also as a general missable thing; Talk to the NPC's on the beach just after that town and you'll find someone who gives you a dowsing rod. It'll net you a shitload of good items just walking around the beaches.

I'm fairly sure you can get as many Old Ambers as you want. It just has a low spawn rate, so get used to Dwebble and Onix.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Zahki posted:

I should catch some mons to Wonder Trade then, I really want a Weedle and have only met Caterpie. I guess Weedle is an X exclusive?

Nah, I caught my actual Weedle and I have Y. I only encountered one Caterpie in the wild though. I also got one of those from Wonder Trade and then evolved it to to Butterfree and sent it away just like Ash Ketchem.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Comrade Flynn posted:

Was there any purpose to the glittering/mirror cave other than to get through it?

There's a hidden door that you can see only by looking in the mirrors, it takes you to the basement. Once you're there there's a circle of light where you can get Alakazamite, but apparently only if you already beat the game.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Everyone please play this game with headphones. The music is just too good to listen to it any other way. :allears:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When do you get to access the Friend Zone anyway?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Figured out the snooty store, for people like me still struggling with it: It doesn't seem to have much of anything to do with what you're wearing. What does seem to matter is activities in the city. Notably, I was denied entry, went and did the one-star restaurant battles perfectly (star next to the meal), still couldn't get in, then went and worked all three jobs at the hotel and after doing them was allowed inside.

Basically when she says "go do stuff" she pretty much means that, just do whatever random services are available in town until it works. Fight the restaurants, get a haircut, make a PR video, get a dog groomed, probably some or all of it applies and once you've done a certain amount it will unlock the boutique.

The trenchcoat is pretty slick. I'm not sure if the colors on the suits and whatnot change on a daily basis like it seems the ones in other boutiques do, but I'll keep an eye out.

MadiTC
May 31, 2011
Does the game still prohibit you from nicknaming event Pokemon? I don't want my Torchic to be the only one without a cute nickname.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Tusen Takk posted:

That being said, I just caught a Bagon just outside the fossil lab thingo.

Wonder Trading's not about getting something good, it's about knowing that there's like a dozen eight year olds out there using Flabebes that you named after different strains of weed.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
So, how's everyone liking X&Y so far? What are the best/worst aspects of the game? I remember reading somewhere that X&Y would somehow be more transparent with the EVs and IVs, is that true?

I ordered a copy of each and they still haven't arrived yet so I'm curious about what everyone thinks after having some hands on time playing the games.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

When do you get to access the Friend Zone anyway?

Post-game, but all Pokemon are level 30.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

WendigoJohnson posted:

They were spread the hell out all over the world. It's not like the Daiga, Paika, and Giratina ones where they're all located within a single area.

They did the same thing in Black/White with the Arceus plates though. They're spread out like that instead of handed out as gameplay freebies because you can use them for reasons other than Arceus, you can attach them to any other Pokemon for a buff to moves of the corresponding type.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well the game just came out so nobody has anything else worth trading. Although I haven't actually caught a fletchling yet and my party is in the 50s.

I made the mistake of not catching a Pidgey/Fletching early game for a flier so I had to wait until I reached Clemont's gym and backtrack to go catch a level 3 Fletching so I can finally use fly. My party is in the 40s too. New people, catch a fly slave!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Kuhmondo posted:

I made the mistake of not catching a Pidgey/Fletching early game for a flier so I had to wait until I reached Clemont's gym and backtrack to go catch a level 3 Fletching so I can finally use fly. My party is in the 40s too. New people, catch a fly slave!

I did the same thing, just went for a Delibird in the Ice area.

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums
What does "[Your pokemon] seems a little uneasy..." mean at the start of a battle?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So isn't Pokemon Amie the most :3: thing or what?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Eh, Wonder Trade is great even if you don't get amazing things. I just sent out a Flabebe and got a Japanese Pancham (who instantly repalced my Riolu). I'd call that a pretty fair trade.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Hixalot posted:

Any word on Froakie egg groups? Need to produce some so I can trade for other starters before getting too far in game.

If you're still reading this thread, Froakie belongs to the Water 1 egg group. That's it, though. Humanshape not applicable.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Speaking of egg groups. I got lucky with a female Fennekin, jumped into the Daycare at the first opportunity, and ended up with three males. So if anyone has a Bulbasaur, Froakie, or Chespin that they'd want to swap for, let me know.

I am Reverend posted:

Wonder Trading's not about getting something good, it's about knowing that there's like a dozen eight year olds out there using Flabebes that you named after different strains of weed.

Shouldn't that be Pansages?

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 13, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

So isn't Pokemon Amie the most :3: thing or what?
Yep. I didn't even get that it was using the camera until pikachu started tilting it's head when I did.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Oh my gosh, that is adorable. When you talk to a preschooler your character squats down to get on eyelevel with them.

Zahki posted:

Weedle and Caterpie appear to be in a common/rare pair. One is common where the other is rare, and vice versa. I caught both in that first forest but only saw one caterpie and lots of weedles, so....

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009
What would be a good nature for Honedge? I'm trying to capture some and i'm getting pretty crappy ones so far.

I'm thinking adamant might be the the best choice since he mostly gets physical attacks.

Flossie
Nov 8, 2008
I've battled Prof Sycamore more than 20 times to get a female Squirtle, a quick search online seemed to confirm you can get female kanto starters, am I just being insanely unlucky?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kuhmondo posted:

What would be a good nature for Honedge? I'm trying to capture some and i'm getting pretty crappy ones so far.

Adamant, or anything that hurts Special Attack/Speed while boosting one of his other stats. His speed will always be pathetic and I still haven't even found a Special Attack he can learn.

Flossie posted:

I've battled Prof Sycamore more than 20 times to get a female Squirtle, a quick search online seemed to confirm you can get female kanto starters, am I just being insanely unlucky?
I can confirm, I got a female Squirtle from him. Remember though, Squirtle only has a 1/8 chance of being female so you might not be that unlucky.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Kuhmondo posted:

Adamant or Impish, really. Its base speed is so low there's no recovering, so focus on ones that raise ATK or either Defense.

Flossie posted:

Unlucky. I received a female Bulbasaur on my first attempt.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 13, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Kuhmondo posted:

I'm thinking adamant might be the the best choice since he mostly gets physical attacks.

Either Adamant or Impish well work well for it. I think Impish would be better for the defense that Aegislash will need after using an attack.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eej posted:

You can get all the stones from Super Training, apparently.

Really, how?

I just went and got medals on all three tiers of balloons I have access to. Do I need to beat bigger balloons? If so, how do I get them? Does it not unlock the mega-evo levels of balloons until I finally see a mega evolution?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Apparently you get a new set of games to play with a maxed out EV poke.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I have a Bold Honedge :v: I have a feeling it has pretty good IVs in attack though.

Flossie
Nov 8, 2008
Thanks to the people who confirmed it's possible, that's a big relief! After 20 fights the probablity of receiving a female is 93% with odds of 1/8 so it's pretty unlucky, but 7% of people will still be in my position of fighting this fruity frenchman over and over.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Flossie posted:

Thanks to the people who confirmed it's possible, that's a big relief! After 20 fights the probablity of receiving a female is 93% with odds of 1/8 so it's pretty unlucky, but 7% of people will still be in my position of fighting this fruity frenchman over and over.

Just so you know you don't need to fight him every time. You can decline when he offers you the Pokemon, then save and he'll offer it to you again when you talk to him so you can soft reset as many times as you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Google is failing me - is there a gallery of trainer clothing out there? Planning my dumb dolly dress-up is of vital importance to me.

• Locked thread