Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschatology
Dec 3, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The perception that you have to use your phone as your primary ISP in order to use a ton of data needs to go away. I've really done nothing other than listen to music for my 20 minute commute (so 40 min a day) and I've burned through 1.6gb of data in little over half my billing cycle.

That's not abuse of my unlimited, that's not trying to stick it to Verizon, that's me simply using my smartphone in a nearly minimal capacity. As more and more people start using their phones beyond facebook updates (and iTunes radio is a good way for that to start happening), people are going to find that 2gb is way too restrictive and the alternatives are too expensive.

And, once again, caps do nothing to curb congestion. Stop perpetuating that myth.

It's a bit criminal that Verizon will give people 6 months free Google All Access when selling them a new Droid Mini/Ultra/MAXX with a measly 2gb data plan. If a person listens for more than a hour a day off wifi, they are going to blow through their cap like nothing.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that you have grown accustomed to using your device in such a fashion that necessitates a data package greater than the standard 2GB but feel that it is too expensive to incrementally add to your services due to your experience paying $30 for an unlimited data offering.

Did I mention that Verizon currently has a promotion for a 6GB data package? I feel like I might have mentioned that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

IRSmurf posted:

I nabbed a Galaxy Note 3 preorder while the system was extending unlimited data availability. If anyone needs a receipt for arguing with VZW reps, here's mine, sans personal information:

Orders placed for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 during Verizon's unintentional unlimited data upgrades are not keeping their unlimited data after their phones complete the automatic activation process. Upon turning on my phone for the first time, I immediately got a text message that I was over my data usage limit and I was being charged for all additional data.

Calls to customer support are resulting in run arounds by CSR's. If I hadn't taken screen shots of my order process, they would not have reinstated my unlimited data plan. A few days ago, the CSR who helped me claimed to have escalated my request. However, Verizon still says I'm on a 2 GB / month plan.

Verizon also changed my invoice. My original invoice, of which I wisely kept copies, says unlimited data. Verizon's new, fraudulent invoice says my order included 2 GB data plan. I believe this constitutes a change in my service agreement. If they don't reinstate my unlimited data, I'll try to walk out of my agreement and keep the phone without an ETF.

IRSmurf fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 13, 2013

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eschatology posted:

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying that you have grown accustomed to using your device in such a fashion that necessitates a data package greater than the standard 2GB but feel that it is too expensive to incrementally add to your services due to your experience paying $30 for an unlimited data offering.

Did I mention that Verizon currently has a promotion for a 6GB data package? I feel like I might have mentioned that.

I have unlimited locked in, by contract, for the next two years. Yay computer glitches.

After those two years are up though, all bets are off.

If I were to leave Verizon, I would be unlikely to come back because their new customer pricing is so hostile. They would probably also lose me or at least very scaled as a FIOS customer since I have my cell phone bundled in with my FIOS service right now.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 13, 2013

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Has anyone else had this issue or does this seem to only be happening to Galaxy Note 3 orders?

Edit: My wife's 5S that we ordered during the glitch should be shipping Monday, hoping to not have any issues.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 13, 2013

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

JayKay posted:

Has anyone else had this issue or does this seem to only be happening to Galaxy Note 3 orders?

Edit: My wife's 5S that we ordered during the glitch should be shipping Monday, hoping to not have any issues.

Had the same issue. They claim to have to submit some paperwork and it would be fixed after 2 days, but it never changed. I called back and complained and they kept on trying to give me the run around. I told them to put me on the 6gb/$30 plan because I don't use that much data anyway and I was tired of arguing with them.

I imagine if I had continued to press, I could have gotten my unlimited reinstated.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Geoj posted:

I'm sure the "BUT HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO STREAM MY 920 KBPS FLAC MUSIC COLLECTION DURING MY 6 HOUR ONE WAY DAILY COMMUTE/KEEP MY :filez: GOING?" crowd will say this too would be unacceptable though.

Or in my case, iTunes Radio. Still waiting for you to tell me how I can use wifi during my commute to save on data usage because obviously using over 2gb a month means I must:

A) Ability have unrealistic expectations (playing music during a commute)
B) Not be aware of freely available Wifi on interstate 90
C) Live too far from work, I should probably just get a job closer so I can get to work faster and use their wifi.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

Or in my case, iTunes Radio. Still waiting for you to tell me how I can use wifi during my commute to save on data usage because obviously using over 2gb a month means I must:

A) Ability have unrealistic expectations (playing music during a commute)
B) Not be aware of freely available Wifi on interstate 90
C) Live too far from work, I should probably just get a job closer so I can get to work faster and use their wifi.

I'm not sure how iTunes Radio works but I use Rdio and can sync any music I want to listen to in the car to my phone over wifi. You can't do Pandora-style song discovery but it might let you go at least part of the time without using data.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eschatology posted:

You're making excuses for them. Can you not recognize how changing your standard data plan from unlimited for 30 dollars a month to 2 GB for 30 dollars a month then trying to strongarm/trick your customers into complying with the new pricing scheme can and did go over like a lead balloon? So loving what if they have a hidden 6 GB promotion that they don't like to advertise and most people don't even know about. At best, you're still paying the same for less service. You've also shown them that you're willing to be pushed into worse and worse terms for the same price, so good luck with that strategy long term.

Can you see how Verizon saying "well guys, our network is having trouble moving forward into the age of mobile devices, so we're going to go ahead and implement a BoA style overages scam to try and extract more money from you for less service!" might be problematic for some (many) customers?

There are a lot of ways Verizon could have tackled this problem, and they chose probably the most combative, shady, and lovely methods they could come up with.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

jfreder posted:

I'm not sure how iTunes Radio works but I use Rdio and can sync any music I want to listen to in the car to my phone over wifi. You can't do Pandora-style song discovery but it might let you go at least part of the time without using data.

That's not how iTunes Radio works. You stream. That's your option.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

benisntfunny posted:

That's not how iTunes Radio works. You stream. That's your option.
I'm really looking forward to trying out iTunes Radio.
Gotta get into town on a day that I have some time to spare and can burn a few hours at a B&N or something.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
poo poo if only there were other music programs you could use that allow you to download music. Maybe some enterprising programmers will some day create such an app but for now I guess we can stick with iTunes and unlimited data and dramatic posts that sound like they're discussing world loving peace or some other actual injustice instead of a phone company's data limits.

Also, most cars come equipped with an actual radio you can use. For free. Using no bandwidth.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

JP Money posted:

poo poo if only there were other music programs you could use that allow you to download music. Maybe some enterprising programmers will some day create such an app but for now I guess we can stick with iTunes and unlimited data and dramatic posts that sound like they're discussing world loving peace or some other actual injustice instead of a phone company's data limits.

Also, most cars come equipped with an actual radio you can use. For free. Using no bandwidth.

If I wanted to listen the radio, I'd listen to the radio. If I wanted my phone to be an iPod, I'd just use an iPod. Get it? I don't want to do those things.

I want to give Verizon a big pile of money (bigger than I'd give to any other phone company!) to let me use my tiny handheld computer like I would expect to be able to use a tiny handheld computer. Incidentally, in the past I have been able to freely use my tiny computer in any reasonable way that I wanted.

Understand?

World peace is an unrealistic goal, probably because there are too many people like yourself walking around with brain deficiencies. Telling Verizon to go to hell because their service is going downhill is quite realistic, and may actually create a real change if enough people also do it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

JP Money posted:

I could also get rid of my cell phone! I could stop paying for gas if I just got off my lazy rear end and rode my bike!

You're a bigger loving idiot than that other turd who can't believe someone might use more than 2gb a month.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

benisntfunny posted:

I could also get rid of my cell phone! I could stop paying for gas if I just got off my lazy rear end and rode my bike!

You're a bigger loving idiot than that other turd who can't believe someone might use more than 2gb a month.

I am glad you were also able to come up with some reasonable outcomes from all this.

The point you should take away from this is that there are alternatives to get around your data limits. Get it? The majority of users use less than 2GB so it makes far more sense to extort the few internet spergs that refuse to use less than 40GB a month to make more money. It's not going away if you suddenly start bitching and writing lengthy freakout posts on the internet nor is it going to go away if you threaten to leave Verizon for another carrier that does the EXACT same poo poo.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

JP Money posted:

I am glad you were also able to come up with some reasonable outcomes from all this.

The point you should take away from this is that there are alternatives to get around your data limits. Get it? The majority of users use less than 2GB so it makes far more sense to extort the few internet spergs that refuse to use less than 40GB a month to make more money. It's not going away if you suddenly start bitching and writing lengthy freakout posts on the internet nor is it going to go away if you threaten to leave Verizon for another carrier that does the EXACT same poo poo.

I didn't threaten to leave anything. And your "alternatives" are dumb suggestions.

Also, to my knowledge there's only one other carrier that does the exact same poo poo.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I like being on Verizon compared to Sprint already. You guys can argue about actually using and burning through your services as opposed to being unable to use your phone or getting unlimited data dial-up speeds.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The point is, everyone else does the exact same poo poo for cheaper and Verizon isn't going to be able to stand on the superiority of their network for much longer.

I think it's becoming clear from the carriers that individual plans are going to prepaid or no-contract exclusively and the constraints of such plans are much more amiable. There comes a point where I would much rather have a reliable 6-8Mbps without any overage worries than 40Mbps of fast speeds with nothing to use it on.

Right now, if I were an individual looking for a smartphone plan and T-Mobile didn't have the coverage I need, I would be crazy to look at anything other than AIO. $55 /month for Unlimited Talk/Text/2gb of data or $70 for Unlimited Talk/Text/7gb of data. Neither have overages, they just punt you down to 2G speeds when you go over your cap. Yes, AT&T throttles even your high speed connections to about 8Mbps, but it's a far better option for most. Grab a Nexus for $350, and you're off to the races.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

JP Money posted:

poo poo if only there were other music programs you could use that allow you to download music.

You see, he doesn't want to have to :airquote: micromanage :airquote: his music collection by being restricted to only 64 GB of it at a time. You might as well be telling him to put in an AM only radio in his car! What's he supposed to do if he's suddenly in the mood for that rare, alternate b-side live bootleg version of his eighteenth favorite band's side project's song with a guest drummer? Settle for the six other versions on his phone? I'd rather not live than exist in a world like that :colbert:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 13, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Geoj posted:

You see, he doesn't want to have to :airquote: micromanage :airquote: his music collection by being restricted to only 64 GB of it at a time. You might as well be telling him to put in an AM only radio in his car! What's he supposed to do if he's suddenly in the mood for that rare, alternate b-side live bootleg version of his eighteenth favorite band's side project's song with a guest drummer? Settle for the six other versions on his phone? I'd rather not live than exist in a world like that :colbert:

Clearly we need to burn Verizon to the ground for this injustice they've brought upon the world. I am hard at work on my new Cellular Manifesto in which I wax poetic about the mobile phone market injustices. I expect the problem to be solved and everyone to have unlimited data for free within a year.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Well this thread got stupid.

Unlimited 4G and the fact the majority of my family/friends are on Verizon are the only 2 reasons I'm still with big red.

I'm averaging about 8GB/month and that's just from streaming Tune In Radio, Google Music, or various sports games during my 12 hour work shifts.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
These posts :allears: Never change my jort wearing, cardboard cut-out carrying, basement dwelling aspergers sufferers.

Please never change.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

You people that are ignorant to the hassle of 2 GB / mo data caps must have no idea how content is consumed these days. Download a complete media file on local storage? Have you been living under a rock for three years? Most people aren't playing MP3's and local MP4/MKV's.

YouTube, Vimeo, Netflix, Hulu, Cable TV apps, Google Music, Spotify, Sony Music Unlimited, rdio, Pandora, Last.FM, and Twitch.tv, are all extremely popular streaming apps.

Some people, if not most, don't have access to Wi-Fi outside of the home. And that situation is entirely beyond their control. Based on the arguments you anti-data-dolts are making, we should feel guilty for consuming more data than our luddite, feature phone using predecessors. It must be nice to be lounging in the comfort of the amenities provided by your surroundings, condemning those without equal opportunities.

I'm not saying we need 300 GB of LTE bandwidth per month. But 2 GB / mo is a slap in the face to anyone with a real smartphone. And it is a blatant rip off. Why is the price of data increasing so quickly? It should be decreasing. At worst, it should only increase with inflation.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

IRSmurf posted:

Some people, if not most, don't have access to Wi-Fi outside of the home.

I live in a medium-sized city - not some huge metro area like NYC/"wifi mecca" - and I can usually throw a rock and hit three businesses offering free/minimal hassle (ie, "check a box agreeing to our terms before it works") wifi without even trying. Do you not have fast food restaurants and coffee shops where you live?

IRSmurf posted:

But 2 GB / mo is a slap in the face to anyone with a real smartphone.

There have been multiple suggestions for alternatives, such as "raise the bottom data tier to 4 or 6 GB while retaining the current 2 GB tier price" or "throttle to 3G speeds once your cap is met." Which are inevitably met with "but but my special snowflake situation doesn't work on anything that doesn't literally allow me to have unlimited data consumption at LTE's theoretical top limit."

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

IRSmurf posted:

Based on the arguments you anti-data-dolts are making, we should feel guilty for consuming more data than our luddite, feature phone using predecessors.

Some Americans have been trained to get hosed and like it, I think we're just seeing this effect given a voice here.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would be absolutely FINE with Verizon's minimum tier being 6gb for the same price and have stated so many times.

Though, that still doesn't solve the new customer problem of forcing everyone into unlimited voice/unlimited text plan, but it would be a start.

Any cap that doesn't allow for at least 2 hours of music streaming a day is probably undersized for a basic tier. Is that a reasonable enough thing to agree to?

Offer lower tiers at lower prices to people who want very basic usage of their phones with primarily wifi use.

I would also rather them give you an option to pay for an overage or be throttled down in speed. 768k throttle would be reasonable enough. It would still allow you message, send emails, and load webpages (slowly).

Something to keep in mind about that "average" 2gb limit. iTunes radio has been around for less than a month at this point. I'm going to suspect the the average use jumps quite a bit over the course of the next few months as people jump on that bandwagon.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Geoj posted:

I live in a medium-sized city - not some huge metro area like NYC/"wifi mecca" - and I can usually throw a rock and hit three businesses offering free/minimal hassle (ie, "check a box agreeing to our terms before it works") wifi without even trying. Do you not have fast food restaurants and coffee shops where you live?
Seriously? Your solution to subscribers of the premium cell provider as a way to fully enjoy their phones on said subscribers network is to hover in a fast food joint or a coffeeshop.

You really don't get how insulting that is, do you?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

iostream.h posted:

You really don't get how insulting that is, do you?

The fact that I was responding to "most people don't have access to wifi outside of their homes" aside, I guess I didn't realize suggesting supplementing your mobile data with open wifi sources to stretch your cap out was like the Holocaust to you people.

I'll try to be more sensitive to victims of Verizon's data cap gestapo in the future.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Geoj posted:

No actually I just want to listen to new music and be able to have some control over what that music is. Don't be dense. How come you're avoiding telling me about in car wifi?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Geoj posted:

I didn't realize suggesting supplementing your mobile data with open wifi sources to stretch your cap out was like the Holocaust to you people.
You're being purposefully obtuse.
Open wifi isn't as ubiquitous in all areas as it appears to be for you, we're not all that lucky.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I've read the last few pages trying to catch myself up to speed with what's going on in Verizon land. I'm a Sprint user who is helping his parents move up from iPhone 4's to an 5s and GS4.

From what I've gathered, they will lose their unlimited data plan they're currently on and be presented with the option of 2GB (shared) or paying to upgrade.

Anything else I really need to know in order to help them to the best of my ability?

Does Verizon do phone buy backs so they could get credit for their iPhones?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krime posted:

From what I've gathered, they will lose their unlimited data plan they're currently on and be presented with the option of 2GB (shared) or paying to upgrade.

Anything else I really need to know in order to help them to the best of my ability?
This is incorrect. They will be presented with 2 GB *each*. Additionally, there's that 6 GB plan for current unlimited users they should to try to get. The codes are further back in the thread. They *could* also switch to a Share Everything plan, but that probably wouldn't be as good as an older family plan.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

FordPRefectLL posted:

It's limited time. No specific time end date.

Pricing:

·  SFO 79398: $30 Loyalty Max 6GB

·  SFO 79400: $50 Loyalty Max 8GB with Mobile Hotspot

·  SFO 79399: $45 Loyalty Max 6GB & Corp Email

·  SFO 79406: $65 Loyalty Max 8GB Email/MHS

Might be worth it if you use less than 6 but more than 2, I guess.

EDIT: Just noticed a caveat. There's no way to do this if ordering online, you have to go to a store or an indirect.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Codes & Prices

I've always wondered, what the hell does corporate email mean? I mean I could just link any phone I want to my companies exchange server. Does Corp Email entail some type of VPN accessibility? AT&T charged extra for it too. I worked for Sprint for 5 years and we never had that fee. I don't quite understand it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Isn't that supposed to be "official" exchange support?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

benisntfunny posted:

I've always wondered, what the hell does corporate email mean? I mean I could just link any phone I want to my companies exchange server. Does Corp Email entail some type of VPN accessibility? AT&T charged extra for it too. I worked for Sprint for 5 years and we never had that fee. I don't quite understand it.

If you are unfortunate enough to work for a place that requires Good for email, and you are using an Android device, you apparently have to have a separate feature code added to your plan, and that requires you to have the enterprise data buy-up. For whatever reason, and this is only the case with Android and not iOS, Good is routed through some central access point (like BlackBerry data) and requires that feature code.

My father went back and forth with Verizon and his Good rep on this for two or three months. He could tether his iPad to his phone and use Good just fine, but his phone would not work directly. His colleagues with iPhones also had no problem. He also could find no Verizon employee who could've changed his grandfathered unlimited over to the grandfathered corporate version, so he wound up switching to a share everything plan and paying the extra $15.

ipaid10buxforthis
May 11, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All this talk about Verizon loving us is pretty hilarious. I pay 140 for unlimited talk and text and 6gbs of data but it's much better than t-mobile or sprint in terms of actually getting a reception and being able to use data. I don't know your situation but I live and work in a lovely area (some would call it a 'ghetto') and being able to call my boss, salespeople, and watch remote cameras is pretty boss (my coworker had t-mobile and has to use the store phone). The only thing that sucks was that i lost my 7 year old circuit city discount after i upgraded to the note 2, although i did get it for the first 3 months, but that gravy train had to end sometime.

ipaid10buxforthis fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 14, 2013

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
For almost 4 years I paid $69.74 for 300 anytime minutes, 1000 text messages, and unlimited data. And averaged around 7gb/mo with my droid x, and 35+/mo w my galaxy nexus, razr maxx, razr maxx hd. My old corp. discount is no longer applied due to no more corp for me. Now its ~$89. I also pull 43-63 down on the reg. <3 Florida.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I'm not complaining about the quality of service at ALL, I switched from sprint a couple of months ago and it's awesome actually being able to USE my phone.

It's paying for a shared 40GB data plan for my Jetpack that sucks, because I know drat well it's price gouging, but I literally have zero options other than nothing. Not asking for sympathy, it just sucks.

Eschatology
Dec 3, 2012

litany of gulps posted:

You're making excuses for them. Can you not recognize how changing your standard data plan from unlimited for 30 dollars a month to 2 GB for 30 dollars a month then trying to strongarm/trick your customers into complying with the new pricing scheme can and did go over like a lead balloon? So loving what if they have a hidden 6 GB promotion that they don't like to advertise and most people don't even know about. At best, you're still paying the same for less service. You've also shown them that you're willing to be pushed into worse and worse terms for the same price, so good luck with that strategy long term.

Can you see how Verizon saying "well guys, our network is having trouble moving forward into the age of mobile devices, so we're going to go ahead and implement a BoA style overages scam to try and extract more money from you for less service!" might be problematic for some (many) customers?

There are a lot of ways Verizon could have tackled this problem, and they chose probably the most combative, shady, and lovely methods they could come up with.

Am I making excuses for them? I'm pretty sure that I just mentioned that something exists.

You can fist pump and rally the townsfolk to outcry the plight of the downtrodden and extorted all you want, dude. I don't really give a gently caress nor am I going to participate in any proletariat vs. megacorporation back-and-forth testicle punching.

I was just mentioning, for the benefit of anyone whom may be interested, that there is a promotion.

For gently caress's sake.

Kindly point your rage-boner away from my face; I shan't be sucking it for you.

Eschatology fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I dunno about the rest of you but 2gb is something I hit if I'm not careful and use wifi liberally. I think 6 would be more than I'd normally use but 3-4 would be a nice limit I'd get close to once in a while.

That being said, I use maybe 100 minutes a month at most, and send maybe 500 texts a month at most right now. I wish there was a "here have lots of data but almost no minutes/texts" plan for verizon.

While I'm pipedreaming (sadly) I'd like for data plans to be slashed in half of what they are now outside of weird loyalty plan promotions.

• Locked thread