Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

I would be absolutely stunned if Vince or Stephanie even know who Samoa Joe is.

As the story goes, another writer brought him up first which lead the other two on a tangent. Like I said though, I take that story with a grain of salt because of the source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Given how they brought in CM Punk to gently caress him around and fire him before Heyman took an interest and the booking of Daniel Bryan was "Look at this Indie geek get pinned by Darren Young after a slap" I'd say Vince knew about them and hated them for gaining momentum among wrestling fans during a time when Vince decided that everyone wanted barely trained Roidy Magoos.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Gonzo McFee posted:

Given how they brought in CM Punk to gently caress him around and fire him before Heyman took an interest and the booking of Daniel Bryan was "Look at this Indie geek get pinned by Darren Young after a slap" I'd say Vince knew about them and hated them for gaining momentum among wrestling fans during a time when Vince decided that everyone wanted barely trained Roidy Magoos.

They didn't bring those guys in specifically for those reasons. They brought them in because they were recommended and good, but that's not Vince and that's never been Vince, and then after they got over on their own they were punished for that, which probably was Vince but has nothing to do with Vince watching ROH tapes. The closest thing to "look at us show you how useless this indy geek is" was Low Ki/Kaval, but I even think most of that was "he's over because he's really good and he's not supposed to be, time for burial" (combined with him getting in the doghouse over making TNA references).

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

sticklefifer posted:

Very recently. It was the Raw in Toronto when Cesaro did that massive Giant Swing on Santino. The crowd was doing that thing where they didn't care so they tried to amuse themselves with a random chant, and Cesaro brought them back into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWXtHvU6B_E

The best part about this is the "We The People" catchphrase is over in Canada.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

They didn't bring those guys in specifically for those reasons. They brought them in because they were recommended and good, but that's not Vince and that's never been Vince, and then after they got over on their own they were punished for that, which probably was Vince but has nothing to do with Vince watching ROH tapes. The closest thing to "look at us show you how useless this indy geek is" was Low Ki/Kaval, but I even think most of that was "he's over because he's really good and he's not supposed to be, time for burial" (combined with him getting in the doghouse over making TNA references).

And Colt "Scotty Goldman" Cabana.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Manwithastick posted:

What was the last holy poo poo chant we had on WWE tv?

The Mania 25 MITB match had one when Shelton Benjamin did a dive off of a ladder.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Gonzo McFee posted:

And Colt "Scotty Goldman" Cabana.

I like Colt as a fun indy midcard guy, but Colt got about as much of a chance in WWE as he should have gotten as a wrestler. His best chance was as an announcer, and that's the job where Vince changes his mind about everyone but Cole constantly.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

I like Colt as a fun indy midcard guy, but Colt got about as much of a chance in WWE as he should have gotten as a wrestler. His best chance was as an announcer, and that's the job where Vince changes his mind about everyone but Cole constantly.

From what I can remember Colt got squashed by Umaga one night and then lost a Battle Royal and never got seen again.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

jeffersonlives posted:

Colt would be filling the same spot/niche as Santino. Comedy midcarder with goofy spots that makes people laugh.

Unfortunately for Colt that sort of gimmick isn't really one where they need more than one guy that can do it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

From what I can remember Colt got squashed by Umaga one night and then lost a Battle Royal and never got seen again.

He was on television for maybe a month or two in the summer, got pulled from television as a wrestler to go back to FCW since they were looking at him more as an announcer by that point, then they used him as a jobber for Umaga and released him. But yeah, what I'm basically saying is that Colt really isn't a good enough worker or overall package to indicate that he really deserved much more of a chance than that, in comparison to someone like Kaval who is really awesome in the ring and got crazy over quick, whatever other stuff he may have going against him. Colt could have stuck around and been okay but he was never going to be more than a prelim dude.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

He was on television for maybe a month or two in the summer, got pulled from television as a wrestler to go back to FCW since they were looking at him more as an announcer by that point, then they used him as a jobber for Umaga and released him. But yeah, what I'm basically saying is that Colt really isn't a good enough worker or overall package to indicate that he really deserved much more of a chance than that, in comparison to someone like Kaval who is really awesome in the ring and got crazy over quick, whatever other stuff he may have going against him. Colt could have stuck around and been okay but he was never going to be more than a prelim dude.

Colt is a much better talker and has more charisma than Low Ki, and I'm not sure I'd say he got over. He got a lot of internet fans to vote for him, but internet fans tend to vote for internet darlings to sock it to Vince. Cabana is the kind of guy who makes a good jobber in the WWE and they never really seemed to know what to do with him, which is why his direction changed a few times and he got cut.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

You'd have a point if Colt had, you know, more than three minutes of screen time total. Not to mention all the casual antisemitism backstage.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Very recently. It was the Raw in Toronto when Cesaro did that massive Giant Swing on Santino. The crowd was doing that thing where they didn't care so they tried to amuse themselves with a random chant, and Cesaro brought them back into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWXtHvU6B_E

I think we might have finally found the solution to stupid mark chants - just have Cesaro come out during the match and put one of the guys in a giant swing. Doesn't matter if it's some boring Khali/Hornswoggle/Santino vs 3MB match, another Kofi Kingston match or heck, even a Divas match. After all, he wouldn't really be physically attacking any women, just causing some motion sickness.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Cabana is the kind of guy who makes a good jobber in the WWE and they never really seemed to know what to do with him, which is why his direction changed a few times and he got cut.

This is pretty much that I'm saying!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

You'd have a point if Colt had, you know, more than three minutes of screen time total. Not to mention all the casual antisemitism backstage.

The point is that "Colt never had any chance to be more than a prelim guy because that package of talent in WWE is a prelim guy at best and usually released." We're talking specifically about guys that were killed for being indyriffic; that's not Colt.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

The point is that "Colt never had any chance to be more than a prelim guy because that package of talent in WWE is a prelim guy at best and usually released." We're talking specifically about guys that were killed for being indyriffic; that's not Colt.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't put Cabana in that category at all.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Personally believe Colt/Spears/Bradley were all called up to fail more because they were popular in OVW moreso than INDY INDY INDY. They were pretty much called up right after the FCW move if I'm remembering correctly.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Also why do people look at Matthew Randazzo as credible at all???

edit: well maybe nobody here does.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 13, 2013

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

That's the first thing this discussion had me thinking of. I wasn't watching TNA at the time but the reactions to that match here made me seek it out, and his look after that spot was amazing. Like he was stunned at the realization that he didn't just cripple himself, mixed with the realization how not worth it that stunt was.

Out of curiosity, what match was it? I really wanna see it now

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
All the talk about Kaval, I missed Low Ki's entire WWE run, what actually happend and was he legitimately over?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Bigass Moth posted:

All the talk about Kaval, I missed Low Ki's entire WWE run, what actually happend and was he legitimately over?

He won NXT which required a vote by the fans at the time so he was over enough to do that. How over that required him to be is debatable I guess.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The whole thing with LayCool where they were cartoonishly evil, but legitimately seemed to care about their pet wrestler Low Ki was fun.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

They signed Low Ki in late-2008 because they wanted to create a masked heel luchador foil for Rey Mysterio and that was who Rey recommended. While they were working that out, Low Ki blew out his knee in FCW. When he came back many many months later, they no longer wanted to do the masked heel foil for Rey Mysterio thing, so after he floundered in FCW for awhile they threw him on NXT as part of the Lay-Cool act. He won NXT over designated winner Alex Riley, and the whole act with Kaval and Lay-Cool included got pretty well over at the arenas (in part because it was a well-designed act and in part because Kaval was doing some really cool wrestling stuff), but he made a couple of his usual Low Ki piss off the bosses moves, most notably namedropping TNA in a freestyle promo. Immediately after NXT ended, they split him off from Lay-Cool, had him use his guaranteed Money in the Bank style shot from winning NXT at any title for a midcard IC title match which he lost, jobbed him out hardcore, and released him.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

He also kicked Dolph's nose straight into his brain.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

jeffersonlives posted:

They signed Low Ki in late-2008 because they wanted to create a masked heel luchador foil for Rey Mysterio and that was who Rey recommended. While they were working that out, Low Ki blew out his knee in FCW. When he came back many many months later, they no longer wanted to do the masked heel foil for Rey Mysterio thing, so after he floundered in FCW for awhile they threw him on NXT as part of the Lay-Cool act. He won NXT over designated winner Alex Riley, and the whole act with Kaval and Lay-Cool included got pretty well over at the arenas (in part because it was a well-designed act and in part because Kaval was doing some really cool wrestling stuff), but he made a couple of his usual Low Ki piss off the bosses moves, most notably namedropping TNA in a freestyle promo. Immediately after NXT ended, they split him off from Lay-Cool, had him use his guaranteed Money in the Bank style shot from winning NXT at any title for a midcard IC title match which he lost, jobbed him out hardcore, and released him.

Why didn't they just sign an actual Mexican masked wrestler for that role?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Why didn't they just sign an actual Mexican masked wrestler for that role?

At the time, they wanted a flashy American style worker instead of a lucha style worker. It's not like it actually matters if the dude is under a mask.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

FishBulb posted:

He won NXT which required a vote by the fans at the time so he was over enough to do that. How over that required him to be is debatable I guess.
Wasn't Vince pissed because he wanted Michael McGuilicutty to win it and then the Genesis promo happened and they had to give to Kaval?

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
Pretty sure Low Ki wasn't cut but actually asked for his release.

The best Low Ki reference was from the short lived WWE web series "Are You Serious" starring Road Dogg Josh Matthews and a puppet version of Triple H.

The puppet was dressed up as Loki, the Marvel character in Thor and Avengers movies, for Halloween. The dialogue went something llike this.

Josh: Who are you supposed to be?
Puppet: Loki
Josh: Wasn't he the winner of NXT season 2?
Puppet: No, that's Kaval.

budreck fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 13, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

budreck posted:

Pretty sure Low Ki wasn't cut but actually asked for his release.

I am pretty sure he admitted that was false. He was fired.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'd say Vince knew about them and hated them for gaining momentum among wrestling fans during a time when Vince decided that everyone wanted barely trained Roidy Magoos.

Wait, there was a time when Vince DIDN'T think this?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure he admitted that was false. He was fired.

Yeah, I recall the story at the time was that he asked if he was being buried for pissing somebody off, they said no but that they just didn't have anything for him so he asked for his release. Since then, I'm pretty sure it came out that he asked if he was being buried for pissing somebody off, they said you sure are, then he got fired.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

Personally believe Colt/Spears/Bradley were all called up to fail more because they were popular in OVW moreso than INDY INDY INDY. They were pretty much called up right after the FCW move if I'm remembering correctly.

You could probably throw Brent Albright into that same camp a few years earlier. Heyman built OVW around Punk and Albright for a good while.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I recall the story at the time was that he asked if he was being buried for pissing somebody off, they said no but that they just didn't have anything for him so he asked for his release. Since then, I'm pretty sure it came out that he asked if he was being buried for pissing somebody off, they said you sure are, then he got fired.

I literally don't get guys like Low-Ki, Teddy Hart and Vampiro... It's not like it's even a secret that everyone hates them, you'd think eventually, when it's preventing you getting booked, you'd say "Hmm, maybe it's not them..."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

You could probably throw Brent Albright into that same camp a few years earlier. Heyman built OVW around Punk and Albright for a good while.

I literally don't get guys like Low-Ki, Teddy Hart and Vampiro... It's not like it's even a secret that everyone hates them, you'd think eventually, when it's preventing you getting booked, you'd say "Hmm, maybe it's not them..."

It's simple: They're such marks for themselves that they literally cannot countenance the idea that they are the problem. And, in Vampiro's case, because he was a legit success in Mexico, he likely feels that he is justified even moreso than the other would be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

One of the most frustrating things I ever read was a quote by Teddy Hart shortly after he left WWE. This isn't verbatim, obviously, but I think it's a pretty accurate recall of the spirit of what he said:

"I was standing in the back watching Triple H and Shawn Michaels wrestle, and I was amazed at what they were managing to do with so little. They didn't need high spots or big impressive flippy moves, they were using character and timing to bring the crowd along with them, and getting bigger reactions than anything I'd ever heard in a fast-paced match full of plenty of visually impressive moves. I really respected that, what they were able to achieve.... but that's not me, I gotta go out there and do my thing, and that's fast-paced matches full of plenty of visually impressive moves!"

He was so, so, soooo close to "getting it" :sigh:

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
On the other hand, there are guys just as egotistical that have found success in wrestling. Hogan, Warrior, Kevin Nash, Bret Hart, and Shawn Michaels to name a few.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

budreck posted:

On the other hand, there are guys just as egotistical that have found success in wrestling. Hogan, Warrior, Kevin Nash, Bret Hart, and Shawn Michaels to name a few.

They generally have phenomenal success to go along with the ego though.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, but it's funny how Michaels (for example) could go around pissing off everyone in the company but never got buried for it. Warrior too.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, but it's funny how Michaels (for example) could go around pissing off everyone in the company but never got buried for it. Warrior too.

They usually waited until they were over enough to do it, though, didn't they? I never heard reports of Michaels being an rear end in a top hat while a Rocker.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also, most of them had the sense to wait until they were bigger deals before they started throwing their weight around. However:

Rodney the Piper posted:

They usually waited until they were over enough to do it, though, didn't they? I never heard reports of Michaels being an rear end in a top hat while a Rocker.

Michaels got fined by Bill Watts once for showing up late to a show and gave Watts poo poo years later about it when Watts worked for WWE. The Rockers also got fired insanely fast in their first shot in WWE for being stupid drunks.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 14, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Warrior got fired three different times (in 91, 92, and 96) for his poo poo and Michaels had several different planned comebacks during the Attitude Era (where he would have made shitloads of money) aborted because of his poo poo, so it's hard to say that they didn't get held back by their behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

epitasis posted:

He also kicked Dolph's nose straight into his brain.

This is so overblown. He's going for his cartwheel kick spot in the corner after an irish whip and Dolph just stops running and turns into it.