Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Thanks for the quick responses!

Slavvy posted:

For alternatives, have you looked at a triumph Daytona? They're meant to be noticeably faster than conventional 600's whilst keeping their other good qualities. They don't depreciate as much either FWIW. At least not where I live.

Actually I'm lusting after both fairly equally, I plan on going to the local Triumph dealer this weekend. The 675R is a little more expensive and I've heard most dealers are less willing to deal, but I'll see about that soon. The Brembo brakes and ohlins suspension in addition to full electronics and a killer engine is an amazing stock bike. It's just down to how I feel on it, and if they'll do a test ride, which I've heard they won't, again I'll see.

Godzillas Gorilla posted:

How far is your commute? The smaller engined sport bikes generally rev a bit higher than the larger bikes and accordingly may be a bit "buzzy" for long-distance commuting. A smaller engined bike would probably suit you a lot better for riding around in a city if that's where your commute takes you. Most sport bikes in general would make fantastic "canyon carvers", though without knowing your riding experience, I'm not sure how comfortable you actually are on certain sized bikes. The bigger engined bikes would probably be a little less forgiveable to mistakes if only due to the much larger amount of power and torque on tap, though since you said you have a few years of riding experience, I'm not too worried. Since you're in California, most of the sport bikes are perfectly suitable for lane splitting, though again, you'll want to take a look at them and see how comfortable you would be doing so in traffic; liter bikes are usually slightly wider than their 600cc counterparts.

Before you commit to the purchase, I'd see if you can take one out for a test ride. The ergonomics of the bike are going to be a lot different while actually riding it than just sitting on it. When I first got my current bike, I would get immense back pain if I rode for longer than an hour or so. The fix? A set of Helibars. It doesn't sound like much, but it made a massive difference, and I can ride for hours without even the slightest bit of pain now. Personally, I'm a fan of going for the bigger engined bikes as I enjoy having the power on tap when I want to use it, and I have a long commute, so the engine cruising along at lower RPMs makes the commute more enjoyable with less vibration throughout the bike. That being said, I can safely say that it's WAY more than I ever need for the road or track. I have some friends that won't even consider a liter bike since their 600's are more than enough for them to handle.

In regards to negotiating a lower price, you'll get better deals with a larger down payment. Suzuki sometimes runs a 0% financing for 5 years special on new bikes. Some of the other manufacturers may do something similar. Otherwise, haggle away at dealerships and get quotes in writing. Use those quotes to your advantage when you go to other dealerships in helping to bring the price down on whichever bike you're thinking about getting. Shop around and price out options online; Cycletrader, Craigslist, eBay, etc. If there's someone selling a motorcycle on eBay, send them a message if you're interested. Some of the good ones to look for are the ones where the auction has ended without the bike being sold, especially if it has been listed several times already. That person may be a lot more motivated to sell for the price you're looking to pay than a dealership or someone who is just "testing the waters" to see how much they may get. If you're willing to travel, you'll have a lot more options to choose from.

Good luck with the purchase. I think sport bikes are an absolute blast to ride, and I have no doubt that you'll enjoy whatever bike you end up getting.

I commute to school which is about 10 miles each way in stop and go (lane splitting non stop essentially) and work is even closer. I visit family in nearby cities often, and I head up to malibu/santa barbara area often enough to only be interested in sportbikes. I have ridden litre bikes around the area as well, so when I say I'm comfortable I mean I understand the tendencies and power. The ZX10R or a slightly used S1000RR are appealing but as much as I'd love to have one, it's overkill and I think the 600-750 range is perfect.

I would not buy anything without a test/demo ride also, I know I can demo a 636 locally, Pro Italia is a drive for me, but they can let me demo a 675 if the local triumph lot won't. Thanks for the negotiating advice. I can't do more than 5k down unfortunatly since I also want to upgrade my gear with the bike, and not drain all my accounts.

Angryboot posted:

I've commuted daily on my zx6 for the past 7 months and I don't really notice it being uncomfortably buzzy (30 miles, occasionally 70 miles, 95% freeway). Once you get used to the position and stop stiff arming the riding position doesn't tire me out much especially if you're using a tail bag instead of a back pack to haul stuff around. If you're really set on ABC and traction control, go ahead I guess; I really don't see those as essential. Nice to have, sure, but eh.

Nitramster, have you looked at credit unions since you're financing? Those 0% loans tend to be 0% for like 2 years then it hops to some crazy number from what I heard. Also if I were you I'd wait a couple of months before seeing about buying a new one (you can get some pretty good deals in winter months after dealers sit on their stock for a while).

I have heard the 600's get buzzier than 1k's, and my V4 is smooth as butter so I'm going to reserve judgement till I ride, but I'm not overly concered about it. I also never stiff armed as I learned to stay loose before I ever even threw a leg over, I use my legs/abs/lower back to support the upper torso and I'm pretty healthy.

The way I look at the electronics is even though I know I'm good enough to not lock up my brakes (emergency stop at least once a month) if ABS helps me that one time I simply don't start braking in time for that car jaming through to make a left turn it's worth it. Heavy electronics packages are becoming the norm, and I want a new bike, so might as well go all the way.

I've also been told to do a credit union, so that's in the queue for when the time to buy is at hand. Kawi is doing 3.95% and Triumph is at 4.5 (blegh) Would a credit union be able to beat that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Safety Dance posted:

Coredump is a cool dude with a well-cared-for, responsibly modded SV.

Z3n posted:

Yeah his bike is really nice and frankly totally worth what he's asking. Cheap enough that I had a moment of weakness where I considered a fly and ride.

Awww you guys. :3:

Also I washed my bike and got some new turn signals on it.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 11, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^ :3:

Nitramster posted:

Thanks for the quick responses!

Actually I'm lusting after both fairly equally, I plan on going to the local Triumph dealer this weekend. The 675R is a little more expensive and I've heard most dealers are less willing to deal, but I'll see about that soon. The Brembo brakes and ohlins suspension in addition to full electronics and a killer engine is an amazing stock bike. It's just down to how I feel on it, and if they'll do a test ride, which I've heard they won't, again I'll see.

I commute to school which is about 10 miles each way in stop and go (lane splitting non stop essentially) and work is even closer. I visit family in nearby cities often, and I head up to malibu/santa barbara area often enough to only be interested in sportbikes. I have ridden litre bikes around the area as well, so when I say I'm comfortable I mean I understand the tendencies and power. The ZX10R or a slightly used S1000RR are appealing but as much as I'd love to have one, it's overkill and I think the 600-750 range is perfect.

I would not buy anything without a test/demo ride also, I know I can demo a 636 locally, Pro Italia is a drive for me, but they can let me demo a 675 if the local triumph lot won't. Thanks for the negotiating advice. I can't do more than 5k down unfortunatly since I also want to upgrade my gear with the bike, and not drain all my accounts.

I have heard the 600's get buzzier than 1k's, and my V4 is smooth as butter so I'm going to reserve judgement till I ride, but I'm not overly concered about it. I also never stiff armed as I learned to stay loose before I ever even threw a leg over, I use my legs/abs/lower back to support the upper torso and I'm pretty healthy.

The way I look at the electronics is even though I know I'm good enough to not lock up my brakes (emergency stop at least once a month) if ABS helps me that one time I simply don't start braking in time for that car jaming through to make a left turn it's worth it. Heavy electronics packages are becoming the norm, and I want a new bike, so might as well go all the way.

I've also been told to do a credit union, so that's in the queue for when the time to buy is at hand. Kawi is doing 3.95% and Triumph is at 4.5 (blegh) Would a credit union be able to beat that?

You should really try demoing a Street/Speed Triple before you commit yourself to a supersport for primarily street use. They're worlds better in control, comfort, and visibility when navigating the lanesplitting hell that is LA.

I can tell you with absolute certainty if you start doing trackdays you're going to want a dedicated trackbike you can yardsale, not your shiny new financed baby - very quickly the fear of wadding your bike will slow you down and make the experience really frustrating.

But why the gently caress would you buy a 636 for "TC and ABS" when you could either buy a Tuono V4 APRC or a RSV4 APRC? Roughly the same price, and a vastly better bike with better traction control, way more power, and the same price. If you want the 600 experience, just leave it in rain mode.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Z3n posted:

You should really try demoing a Street/Speed Triple before you commit yourself to a supersport for primarily street use. They're worlds better in control, comfort, and visibility when navigating the lanesplitting hell that is LA.

I can tell you with absolute certainty if you start doing trackdays you're going to want a dedicated trackbike you can yardsale, not your shiny new financed baby - very quickly the fear of wadding your bike will slow you down and make the experience really frustrating.

But why the gently caress would you buy a 636 for "TC and ABS" when you could either buy a Tuono V4 APRC or a RSV4 APRC? Roughly the same price, and a vastly better bike with better traction control, way more power, and the same price. If you want the 600 experience, just leave it in rain mode.

I sort of wrote off non-faired bikes because I do hit the 405 often enough that I want the wind protection. But I'll still be looking at the naked options when I poke my head it, and if they allow it I might take them out as well.

Dedicated trackbike would be nice, and will happen eventually. Track is a want right now, not a need, I'm knee deep in my return to college so I'm not sure when it would happen.

Aprilias are nice, and RSV4's are a killer price, I've argued for them on this forum just a few weeks ago. http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/Model/101016/RSV4+R+APRC+ABS/Overview.aspx 15k isn't exactly 12.6 (636) or 13k (675R). Cost to own is higher as well. I haven't called AAA yet about insurance either but I know it takes a large jump when you get to 1000cc's.

As an aside, I'd get an S1000RR if I wanted to spend that much and have a euro superbike. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nitramster posted:

I sort of wrote off non-faired bikes because I do hit the 405 often enough that I want the wind protection. But I'll still be looking at the naked options when I poke my head it, and if they allow it I might take them out as well.

Dedicated trackbike would be nice, and will happen eventually. Track is a want right now, not a need, I'm knee deep in my return to college so I'm not sure when it would happen.

Aprilias are nice, and RSV4's are a killer price, I've argued for them on this forum just a few weeks ago. http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/Model/101016/RSV4+R+APRC+ABS/Overview.aspx 15k isn't exactly 12.6 (636) or 13k (675R). Cost to own is higher as well. I haven't called AAA yet about insurance either but I know it takes a large jump when you get to 1000cc's.

As an aside, I'd get an S1000RR if I wanted to spend that much and have a euro superbike. :)

Hoenstly, the wind doesn't make that much of a difference at those speeds. Even at track speeds, if you have a decent helmet, 140+mph isn't a problem on a naked bike. You can ask FuzzyWuzzyBear about his experiences riding his naked ZX10 on the track - I rode it as well, and it wasn't that big a deal. Sure, you knew you were going fast but there's a point where you don't really notice the difference, it's just loving fast and windy.

On pricing - I was thrown off because last I saw my local dealership was blowing out last year's bike for sub 13k. I might be remembering wrong, but it was an APRC model...might already be gone. Insurance prices can vary heavily depending on who's insuring what when - sometimes the exotic bikes are cheaper to insure because they don't get crashed as often. Cost to own - what is your cost to own really going to be? Oil changes and the occasional valve adjustment?

I wouldn't get the S1000RR cause the wheelie control isn't as good on them. 1 inch wheelie off of every crest is ok but it'd be a lot more fun to have the bike hold a 45 degree wheelie for you if you're loving around. :getin:

But yeah, definitely see if you can ride the nakeds. Give them a chance to grow on you.

Or you can hold out for a 2014 superduke :D

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
You know it didn't even occur to me that the insurance on a litre exotic might actually be cheaper than a japanese 600 because of theft and crash factors. Something I'll explore with AAA tomorrow.

If there actually is a Launch Control out there that will hold a 45 degree wheelie the search is over! Alas, I cannot fathom a company considerate enough to make it!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitramster posted:

You know it didn't even occur to me that the insurance on a litre exotic might actually be cheaper than a japanese 600 because of theft and crash factors. Something I'll explore with AAA tomorrow.

If there actually is a Launch Control out there that will hold a 45 degree wheelie the search is over! Alas, I cannot fathom a company considerate enough to make it!

Aprilia is that company.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 28, 2019

Godzillas Gorilla
Mar 9, 2007

You wouldn't regret an RSV4. They are drat FUN to ride. Perhaps consider slightly used or a couple of years old as well for bikes. I know you said you were set on getting a new bike, but in reality, if you're "knee deep" in your return to college, it would benefit you to save up a little more and pay for the bike in full than have to take out a loan on one and worry about financing. One less monthly payment to worry about can be a Godsend when it comes to having money when you need it. A bike you own will also cost less in regards to insurance compared to a bike that you're financing. Shop around for financing as well. Some credit unions may be able to beat those interest rates you mentioned, though keep in mind that most banks consider motorcycles to be "recreational vehicles" and not transportation, so the interest rates are typically markedly higher than a car. Lastly, shop around for insurance. You may find that the quotes you get from AAA are absolutely horrid compared to companies like State Farm or Progressive.

I can't comment on the Street/Speed Triple, but there's enough people in CA that have them and seem to love them. I definitely like the looks of them and they look like they would be really, really fun to ride. In reality, unless you're going to be in full tuck on a track, traveling at a high rate of speed pretty much all of the time, you're not going to notice a huge difference with faired bikes versus naked ones. The other environment that would make a difference is if you're routinely riding in cold or rainy weather to keep as much of the elements off of you as possible. I commute year-round in rain or shine in the mid-Atlantic/northeast USA. The fairings make a difference when the temperature is in the 20's or if there's a torrential downpour on the way to/from work. If you're riding in SoCal, it's a convenience that isn't really necessary. If anything, it just makes it more costly to repair if you end up dropping it.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
ZX6's tend to be a little cheaper on the insurance (at least in SoCal anyway) than Suzukis, Yamahas, and Hondas from what I was quoted. No idea about Aprilias although I should check at some point since I'm probably getting an RSV4 later on.

Don't get an RSV4. I'll end up wanting one even more than I already do.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Going to check this beast out tomorrow morning: http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/4119935221.html

Any thoughts? Spoke to him at length about it, sounds to be in great condition, got him down to $800. Yay or nay?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Dead Pressed posted:

Going to check this beast out tomorrow morning: http://knoxville.craigslist.org/mcy/4119935221.html

Any thoughts? Spoke to him at length about it, sounds to be in great condition, got him down to $800. Yay or nay?

I'm getting one of those for free in a few weeks. It doesn't currently run, but I wanted a project bike. I'm curious as to what people think about it for a first bike as well.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

I'm getting one of those for free in a few weeks. It doesn't currently run, but I wanted a project bike. I'm curious as to what people think about it for a first bike as well.

I think you should finish your MSF first.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Backov posted:

I think you should finish your MSF first.

I'd take the free bike, do the MSF before you start riding it or tinkering, as you may hate motorcycling.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

I'd take the free bike, do the MSF before you start riding it or tinkering, as you may hate motorcycling.

Ya, I caught the "free" part after I posted that. Although they are the most expensive bikes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

SquadronROE posted:

Fine as a first bike. I'm not a big fan of them, though. Ergos aren't great, not much power, carbs are stupid, known for blowing stators which requires dropping the engine.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A faired bike has no real advantage on the highway on a 20 minute commute but it certainly does over a 4-hour trek. And I notice the faired / naked comfort difference anywhere below about 50F. YMMV, I guess.

The comfort difference of the ergos between a Speed/Street Triple and a clipon race rep are going to outweigh the fairing-related difference, though.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

SaNChEzZ posted:

That is a fair point. Keep it somewhat in one piece before I do much else. I certainly am not planning on riding it before the MSF. The timing is just not ideal because the friend who is giving it to me would be able to get it to me either now or never. So... Free bike.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Well, I bought it. Probably a mistake, but for $800 I couldn't resist.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

CoyDog bought my SV!

So CA I'm now considering my next bike. I'm cross-shopping a KTM 690 SMC, Harley Sportster, or Piaggio BV350 as they are all very similar...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

CoyDog bought my SV!

So CA I'm now considering my next bike. I'm cross-shopping a KTM 690 SMC, Harley Sportster, or Piaggio BV350 as they are all very similar...

Scooter with a Harley engine.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Scooter with a Harley engine.

So Buell Blast is what you're telling me?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Instead of buying either of those Ascots I just picked up a '96 Ninja 500 for next to nothing, just needs the pilot jet cleaned out as it won't stay running when all the way off choke. Lots of recent service, new parts, new tires, just needs some carb love.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Coredump posted:

CoyDog bought my SV!

Begging for CA version of the Car Game

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Begging for CA version of the Car Game

Only if its a high stakes Car Game.
:colbert:

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Guys, I want a new bike! I've been riding since December of last year (daily highway commuting and some weekend fun stuff, ~6,000 miles total). My current ride is a naked first-gen SV650.

Here are a few things I want:

1. Fuel injection because gently caress carbs and chokes
2. A fairing or windshield because my highway commute has gotten longer
3. More power because I've started doing a bit more 2-up riding with :siren: my girlfriend :siren: :smug:

Here are a few things that I like about the SV that I'd like the next bike to have, too:

1. Low maintenance
2. Torque-y, relatively even power delivery
3. Relatively comfortable seating position for a 6'2" dude with a 34" inseam
4. $5,000 or less in Bay Area dollars

Any recommendations? I've been looking at the FZ6/1, newer SV650/1000, Ninja 650/1000, Street Triple/Daytona...

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Get your girlfriend a bike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pissingintowind posted:

Guys, I want a new bike! I've been riding since December of last year (daily highway commuting and some weekend fun stuff, ~6,000 miles total). My current ride is a naked first-gen SV650.

3. More power because I've started doing a bit more 2-up riding with :siren: my girlfriend :siren: :smug:

Here are a few things that I like about the SV that I'd like the next bike to have, too:

1. Low maintenance

Any recommendations? I've been looking at the FZ6/1, newer SV650/1000, Ninja 650/1000, Street Triple/Daytona...

Buell Ulysses
gently caress the haters

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pissingintowind posted:

1. Low maintenance

Have you ridden a mid-sized four? They feel pretty aenemic low-down compared to an SV. An sv1000 would be right up your alley if your market has them; injected, available with a half-fairing, but has all the good qualities of a 650. A ninja 650 and ninja 1000 are not remotely the same thing; one is a learner-friendly mid-range 2 cylinder bike a lot like the SV and the other is an honest-to-god superbike with all the terror that implies. Also not what I'd call low-maintenance or comfortable seating/pillion ride. Ditto striple/daytona, having a pillion on a daytona 675 would a nightmare (daytona owners feel free to disabuse me of this notion).

edit: get the gently caress in here xovaan I can't be bothered talking about B12's.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Honda VFR or Aprilia anything.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Have you ridden a mid-sized four? They feel pretty aenemic low-down compared to an SV. An sv1000 would be right up your alley if your market has them; injected, available with a half-fairing, but has all the good qualities of a 650. A ninja 650 and ninja 1000 are not remotely the same thing; one is a learner-friendly mid-range 2 cylinder bike a lot like the SV and the other is an honest-to-god superbike with all the terror that implies. Also not what I'd call low-maintenance or comfortable seating/pillion ride. Ditto striple/daytona, having a pillion on a daytona 675 would a nightmare (daytona owners feel free to disabuse me of this notion).

edit: get the gently caress in here xovaan I can't be bothered talking about B12's.

I have not ridden a four. I did hear that they are considerably more peaky than twins, though.

I thought Ninja 650s were supposed to be really good commuters - assumed the Ninja 1000 was similar to what the SV1000 is to the SV650. Guess I'll take that off the list! A B12 sounds like a bit too much bike, too.

The S3/Daytona were more pipe dream than serious consideration because they're :krad:

Any thoughts on the FZs?

n8r posted:

Honda VFR or Aprilia anything.

Good call, will add the VFR800 to the list, but they do seem a bit more expensive around here. Isn't Aprilia incompatible with my low maintenance ask? :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Pissingintowind posted:

Isn't Aprilia incompatible with my low maintenance ask? :v:

Maintenance schedules aren't the problem, it's parts availability. The engines aren't an issue parts-wise but for the older bikes, everything else can be. The Futura is the best match but has the worst parts situation, a Tuono has much less parts concern but lacks the full fairing.

Slavvy is confusing the Ninja 1000 with the ZX-10R which are two different bikes. The 1000 is called something else overseas, I forget what. It's a decent sports tourer and also meets your reqs but is a bit new to find a good one down in the $5k range.

If your highway commute is <30 minutes and you have an alternative in really lovely weather you'll probably be fine with the bikini fairing on a Tuono or Street / Speed Triple. The Daytona is going to have ergos possibly more aggressive than you're looking for.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

Maintenance schedules aren't the problem, it's parts availability. The engines aren't an issue parts-wise but for the older bikes, everything else can be. The Futura is the best match but has the worst parts situation, a Tuono has much less parts concern but lacks the full fairing.

Slavvy is confusing the Ninja 1000 with the ZX-10R which are two different bikes. The 1000 is called something else overseas, I forget what. It's a decent sports tourer and also meets your reqs but is a bit new to find a good one down in the $5k range.

If your highway commute is <30 minutes and you have an alternative in really lovely weather you'll probably be fine with the bikini fairing on a Tuono or Street / Speed Triple. The Daytona is going to have ergos possibly more aggressive than you're looking for.

The Caponord 1200 is the current Aprilia sports/tourer option but the looks are seriously love/hate. The 1200 engine has been pretty bulletproof so far though and the commonality of parts means that (assuming you have a dealer nearby) you're not going to have the full Italian parts experience.

However if you see a used Shiver GT that would fit those specs perfectly, but they're pretty rare simply because it never sold well compared to the naked Shiver and the Dorsoduro. Again parts commonality means you don't need to be scared off by spares availability.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Ah, didn't realise that's the case. My ZX-10 is badged a ninja, as are zx-14's and zx-6' here.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Ah, didn't realise that's the case. My ZX-10 is badged a ninja, as are zx-14's and zx-6' here.

The ZX's are still Ninjas, but the 'Ninja 1000' is the faired Z1000

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

The ZX's are still Ninjas, but the 'Ninja 1000' is the faired Z1000

That seems like it would still be quite a handful for a second bike.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

That seems like it would still be quite a handful for a second bike.

If someone was trading up after a few hundred miles on a Ninja 250, sure. If Pissingintowind has 6000 miles riding experience and feels comfortable caning an SV650 that should be more than sufficient. The Z1000 engine is torquey but it doesn't have anywhere near the top end hit of a -10R. He's a big dude that wants to carry a pillion so a bigger bike makes some sense.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Pissingintowind posted:

1. Low maintenance

You pretty much just described a Buell Ulysses.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

or a Multistrada. (Just checked Craigslist bay area though, and whelp... at least one thing is cheaper in the UK!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

Hmm. I had never looked into Buell, but this thing looks pretty sweet. Why is it so expensive though?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/4126438152.html (lol Harley Davidson lol)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcd/4123266354.html
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4120989645.html