Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I thought they had been foreshadowing about how he's throwing more uppercuts and getting back to his ~one true style~ after he had moved to a style based around a shitload of hooks from developing the dempsey roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Maybe Ippo's real true style is the same as Miyata's: flailing your arms at the other guy while extremely tired.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Ippo battles through again, takes left after left, finally gets through it, takes down his opponent...

...Dies in the changing room from massive internal bleeding in the brain. Hajime No Ippo goes down as the longest mood whiplash series in history.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blinks77 posted:

Ippo battles through again, takes left after left, finally gets through it, takes down his opponent...

...Dies in the changing room from massive internal bleeding in the brain. Hajime No Ippo goes down as the longest mood whiplash series in history.

In his final fight against Martinez or Miyata he literally dies in the ring but his YAMATO-DAMASHII causes him to be resurrected for just long enough to finish the match.

edit: Sort of like the times he's fought while unconscious, except even more extreme.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

A big difference I can see between this and most of Ippo's other matches is that there has been virtually zero positive foreshadowing for this match. As far as I can remember, they haven't talked at all about Ippo developing anything new (or fixing weaknesses, whatever) to help him with this match, so if he pulls something off it's going to have to be pretty much out of nowhere.

The problem is that Ippo is fighting a no-namer. I mean, in-universe he's the second best and whatever but in the manga itself he's just a Martinez-clone. I am sure we'll learn about his tragic backstory during the fight but, right now, Gonzales doesn't have a chance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

trucutru posted:

The problem is that Ippo is fighting a no-namer. I mean, in-universe he's the second best and whatever but in the manga itself he's just a Martinez-clone. I am sure we'll learn about his tragic backstory during the fight but, right now, Gonzales doesn't have a chance.

One thing to keep in mind is that I think Ippo can challenge Martinez in his next fight if he beats this guy (or at least sometime really soon after). I doubt he's going to have Ippo become world chamption just a couple fights after giving up his Japanese belt. It's a bit of an awkward situation, since if he beats this guy he should also be able to handle most other people who aren't Martinez, given that this guy is #2. (Then again, he had a ton of trouble with like 15 guys after getting the Japanese belt.)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Blinks77 posted:

So something like this?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That picture is weirding me out.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

So something like this?

He should be in a casket. Specially made so his arms can be posed like that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ytlaya posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that I think Ippo can challenge Martinez in his next fight if he beats this guy (or at least sometime really soon after). I doubt he's going to have Ippo become world chamption just a couple fights after giving up his Japanese belt. It's a bit of an awkward situation, since if he beats this guy he should also be able to handle most other people who aren't Martinez, given that this guy is #2. (Then again, he had a ton of trouble with like 15 guys after getting the Japanese belt.)
That's the thing that makes me wonder if he'll win or not.

If he loses doesn't he have to start all over basically?

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Fabricated posted:

That's the thing that makes me wonder if he'll win or not.

If he loses doesn't he have to start all over basically?

Yeah, but from where? I don't know what losing to the number 2 guy would do to his world level rank, but it shouldn't tank it entirely.

I think the best possible progression would be for Ippo to lose this match by decision. He loses in a way that doesn't invalidate all his growth making us go through another OPBF arc. Then this guy gets demolished into retirement by Martinez so his threat level is reestablished. Then Ippo fights another, unrelated guy to show how much better he is now than this guy was then and so he's in striking distance for Ricardo again. Then they fight and whatever happens. Three fights including this one to Ricardo plus whatever happens in between with the others which probably won't be anything worthwhile.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If its really going to be dragged out just make Ippo the undisputed champion fighting Martinez last

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
They can have him beat this guy, then find a way to shoe-horn in a third and final fight against Sendo and a final match against Miyata either before or after Martinez. The lead in to those three fights along with this one should be like 180 chapters at this drat pace, combined with Takamura and The God Of Time's arcs and we're still looking at like 300 chapters of crap before this could concievably end

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
Ippo's going to lose and Kamogawa will say to him: "You've still got a long way to go kid!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Or Miyata challenges Martinez somehow and beats him first. That'd be kinda hilarious.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

The other thing to keep in mind is that the comic is 20 years old and after Martinez we still have to get the Miyata fight. If the author wants (or is forced to) finish this thing someday then Ippo will probably have to take the fast track to the top. Besides, if he has to fight some other dudes before Martinez then Ippo will probably have to -horror of horrors- leave Japan and fight somewhere else and we cannot be having that.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Or Miyata challenges Martinez somehow and beats him first. That'd be kinda hilarious.

That doesn't seem too unrealistic.

I mean Ippo is fighting a kind of Martinez clone just now. It seems to downplay the hype for Ippo actually fighting Martinez.

So either Ippo fights the guy who beat Martinez, or he's still ages away from fighting Martinez (to have time to hype him fighting a Mexican again). Well, the latter is probably true regardless of what happens.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
I find it amazing that we are left guessing about what is going to happen. Which is great, I think.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dante Logos posted:

I find it amazing that we are left guessing about what is going to happen. Which is great, I think.

Well, the problem is that we're guessing on the basis of "how is he going to reasonably proceed with this comic without it dragging on for ages (or finishing really soon)" rather than "I wonder how Ippo compares with Gonzales" (from what we've seen, Ippo should pretty clearly be inferior). Since I don't think they've discussed any sort of countermeasure for Ippo to use against him, it seems like they're going to have to pull something out of nowhere (if Ippo actually wins).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Ytlaya posted:

Well, the problem is that we're guessing on the basis of "how is he going to reasonably proceed with this comic without it dragging on for ages (or finishing really soon)" rather than "I wonder how Ippo compares with Gonzales" (from what we've seen, Ippo should pretty clearly be inferior). Since I don't think they've discussed any sort of countermeasure for Ippo to use against him, it seems like they're going to have to pull something out of nowhere (if Ippo actually wins).
Ippo is usually inferior in technique but there hasn't really been anyone who could survive repeated body blows or clean, max-power shots to the head from him. I mean a point that's been hammered on almost every fight is that Ippo hits so hard he can flip a match with a single good punch.

Every fight minus Mr. One Punch has gone one of two ways:

1. Ippo gets an opening either through skill, luck, or making his opponent punch themselves out sandbagging him and caves their eye sockets in, flipping the match.

or

2. Ippo goes downstairs and pulverizes the ribs and liver of his opponent until they can't move, at which point he goes upstairs and caves their eye-sockets in.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Ippo is usually inferior in technique but there hasn't really been anyone who could survive repeated body blows or clean, max-power shots to the head from him. I mean a point that's been hammered on almost every fight is that Ippo hits so hard he can flip a match with a single good punch.

1. Ippo gets an opening either through skill, luck, or making his opponent punch themselves out sandbagging him and caves their eye sockets in, flipping the match.

or

2. Ippo goes downstairs and pulverizes the ribs and liver of his opponent until they can't move, at which point he goes upstairs and caves their eye-sockets in.

The point I want the comic to make is that the strategies you mentioned simply shouldn't cut it on the "world stage." Ippo should be forced to step up his game such that he can fight a match sort of like Vorg's world championship bout (that is, something requiring actual strategy). Even in real life, world-class heavyweight in-fighters are extremely fast and have amazing technique and Ippo is featherweight IIRC.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

or

3. He lightly taps the monkey man five times and totally demolishes him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ippo actually seems pretty competent in this new chapter. I'm liking that it's emphasizing his ability to weave around and avoid getting hit.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Ippo actually seems pretty competent in this new chapter. I'm liking that it's emphasizing his ability to weave around and avoid getting hit.

I'm pretty darn ok with this myself. I'm really hoping this match just winds up being Ippo holding his own and then demolishing Gonzalez. There was all the talk of him getting weaker, and I just want the entire fight to be him disproving that.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Was this... regular boxing? Were they just boxing? Like, the kind that actual boxers use?

Opter
Jul 8, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

Was this... regular boxing? Were they just boxing? Like, the kind that actual boxers use?

That was pretty much my exact reaction to the chapter. On another note, am I only the only one who wants to see Martinez beat Ippo anyway?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I'm pretty darn ok with this myself. I'm really hoping this match just winds up being Ippo holding his own and then demolishing Gonzalez. There was all the talk of him getting weaker, and I just want the entire fight to be him disproving that.

I also like that Miyata isn't acting like a Sasuke-ish character and is flat out complimenting/talking positively about Ippo. Like, he doesn't seem to have any air of superiority about him.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Opter posted:

That was pretty much my exact reaction to the chapter. On another note, am I only the only one who wants to see Martinez beat Ippo anyway?

Yes and No. Yes to make Ippo I dunno stop relying on tactics that are so simple that he think he can just take punches and tire out the enemy and deliver the final blow. And the other no, because goddamn how long as it been since Ippo has finally gotten into a match? Might as well progress forward.

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Wasn't it established by Mashiba that what made Ippo weakness was that he was more concerned about returning safe from a fight than winning? I kinda expect the turning point to be something like "continuing this fight will significantly reduce your life span Ippo, let's throw the towel", and then Ippo proceeds to continue and tap into some hidden potential or whatever shounen thing before making another comeback win.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Nyandaber Z posted:

Wasn't it established by Mashiba that what made Ippo weakness was that he was more concerned about returning safe from a fight than winning? I kinda expect the turning point to be something like "continuing this fight will significantly reduce your life span Ippo, let's throw the towel", and then Ippo proceeds to continue and tap into some hidden potential or whatever shounen thing before making another comeback win.

Ippo's samurai spirit causes him to literally transform into a samurai and he beheads Gonzalez. T.K.O. in the sixth round

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Coughing Hobo posted:

Ippo's samurai spirit causes him to literally transform into a samurai and he beheads Gonzalez. T.K.O. in the sixth round

He does a kamikaze attack and runs into Gonzalez and explodes.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

He does a kamikaze attack and runs into Gonzalez and explodes.

Ippo confirmed for waverider crash.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ok so this was actually pretty rad. Finally he has grown past "getting punched in the face until opponent fist breaks" levels of tactic.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Animation in the last episode of Rising is great. :v:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New chapter, not linking since no punches are actually thrown.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
How does the author justify spending a week of his life drawing a chapter in which nothing happens?

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Was that seriously only 13 pages?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

No.1 Special posted:

Was that seriously only 13 pages?

This has been fairly common lately. We have had chapter with 10 pages or so.

You have to agree that 13 pages is enough for "ok! they're going to do something soon!".

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I was reading this and thought that mangastream hosed up and missed some pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Monaghan posted:

I was reading this and thought that mangastream hosed up and missed some pages.

Yeah, the last page didn't even have that little line at the end or the "to be continued"... you weren't alone buddy.