Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Or this steaming pile

I can't tell if this is a step up from the DVD, or worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Leper Residue posted:

This cover is better because just look at that Dachshund :3:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Darthemed posted:

I can't pin down what makes this so uncomfortable. Maybe the tree growing out of not-Shrek's head.

I love the little reglementary translation of "gently caress Evil!" in the lower left corner "Nique le diable!" (literally "gently caress the devil").

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Leper Residue posted:

It's entirely possible that the Chevy Chase featured in this film is a dog named Chevy Chase. It's a pretty great dog name and a bad person name.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rough Lobster posted:

It's entirely possible that the Chevy Chase featured in this film is a dog named Chevy Chase. It's a pretty great dog name and a bad person name.

So I take it Simon Rex is not the dog's name?

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

I made the mistake of watching this one, if I recall correctly every single gun fight takes place in a hallway. Don Swayze acts circles around the rest of the cast and he's only in it for 15 minutes.
Yes, Don Swayze.

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
Karate Dog is an underrated masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hywK7SsqE8Y

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

28: Born to Love You, posters to confuse me.
These are all posters from a Chinese film called 'Born to Love You' that came out early this year. I don't know if it's just me but each one seems to suggest something different.

Indie intra-office rom-com

A coming-of-age comedy drama

Drum lessons. Only $15!

40-something's singer last shot at success

A documentary on the pressures of auditioning for a place at Juilliard

Your cousin's band!

The Chinese remake of 'the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' changed a few things

Leaving home for the first time can be difficult and art-house worthy

A new love vs.life in the big city

A Chan-wook Park film

...and then it all comes together for a generic rom-com

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I wonder why there are two different release dates. I guess one could be for special administrative zones like Hong Kong or Macau and the other for Mainland China.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I like some of those posters. They at least bring some sort of emotion out of me when looking at them. That's what you really want.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Maybe it's like Rashomon, but a love story?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I actually really like those posters. The last four characters of the date (2013.14) sound very similar to the last four characters of the tagline underneath it (爱你一生一世 - Love you all my life, for all time). It's a catchy way of getting people to remember the release date.

Part of your confusion comes from the meaningless English title of the film. "Born to Love You" is typical of the generic crap they use as English titles of films and TV shows. In Chinese the title is "Uncle I Love You", which adds a lot of context to those posters (clearly it's something about hanging out with an older man and sharing a love for music).

Also if you think these are bad you clearly haven't seen the posters of most Hong Kong rom-coms. Usually it's just two famous actors doing cheeky poo poo in a lovely photoshoot. These are loving ace by industry standards.

3peat
May 6, 2010

I Before E posted:

Wait, which one is this?

Love Exposure

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Red Bones posted:

Maybe it's like Rashomon, but a love story?

That would actually be a really awesome.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
The official poster for the Angry Video Game Nerd movie.

Appropriately, it's a load of motherfucking diarrhea dog poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Why in the gently caress is that even going to be a movie :psyboom:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

What the gently caress is this bullshit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Why in the gently caress is that even going to be a movie :psyboom:

Every novelty sketch character of sufficient popularity must be stretched out into a feature-length format shortly after or during the apex of their popularity. Decline of popularity, or at least plateauing, is almost inevitable afterwards.

It's like an entertainment law or something, at least after the 90s with Wayne's World.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It also can't take place in the same location that all of their previous episodes did. They have to go on some sort of adventure, Paris is preferable, budget permitting.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, James Rolfe has been working his rear end off on the AVGN movie for like 2 years now and it seems to legitimately be a labor of love for him rather than a cash-in, so I can't bring myself to be hostile towards it. Hell, I'm actually kinda excited.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ez posted:

The official poster for the Angry Video Game Nerd movie.

Appropriately, it's a load of motherfucking diarrhea dog poo poo.

I'm 99% sure that nothing on that poster happens. It's actually a simple story about a man finding out who he is as he travels out west to dig up the buried E.T. Atari cartridges. (I hope)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Honestly, James Rolfe has been working his rear end off on the AVGN movie for like 2 years now...

Who loving cares? He should've pissed away his time doing literally anything else.

The only reaction anyone should have to hearing that a person dedicated 2 years of their existence to poo poo like this is thanking God that they aren't delusional and mentally simple enough to have done so themselves.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Who loving cares? He should've pissed away his time doing literally anything else.

The only reaction anyone should have to hearing that a person dedicated 2 years of their existence to poo poo like this is thanking God that they aren't delusional and mentally simple enough to have done so themselves.

Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with anything he's done at all, or are you just assuming he's a lovely :effort: youtube comedian?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with anything he's done at all, or are you just assuming he's a lovely :effort: youtube comedian?

Why are you so insistent on white knighting for him?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Because he's a talented dude who's been making movies his entire life.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Peanut President posted:

I'm 99% sure that nothing on that poster happens. It's actually a simple story about a man finding out who he is as he travels out west to dig up the buried E.T. Atari cartridges. (I hope)

Have you seen the trailer? Lots of stuff from the poster is in it. Like one of the posters above said, its needlessly complicated and way too grand in scale for the subject matter.

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, gently caress him for realizing his dream to make a feature film. What a waste of time making a movie with the $300,000 his massive legion of fans donated to him. What a loser hiring a professional crew, actors, shooting on location, and personally working on all of the writing, editing and effects.

You can say the movie looks like poo poo (it does) but criticizing James Rolfe for wanting to make it is completely loving retarded. He has a very successful career based almost solely on this character, making a full movie and putting massive amounts of time, effort and passion into it is more than most of us will ever accomplish.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I like the series on monster and horror movies he does. Oh poo poo it's October, I guess it's time to check that.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

When did feeling something other than seething hatred become white knighting?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

...because he's kind of an awesome guy, I really like his work, and the gut reactions y'all have had to that poster aren't really terribly accurate. Sorry for offending your sensibilities by not turning up my nose and going "heh, he makes videos about silly nerd games :smugdog:".

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So he's been making movies his entire life, hired a professional crew, actors, shot on location, and personally worked on all of the writing, editing and effects?

Well my problem then is that despite all that he still came away with a product that looks like a first time production from someone just out of University.

Why should I celebrate his passion project if I think it looks like utter poo poo? If anything the quality of the final product is evidence than he managed to squander all of the above resources rather than a reason to commend him for having them.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I dunno, it's definitely not for me and I figure it's definitely not for the majority of people. But I figure his audience/the people who find him funny will probably enjoy it, and while that's totally okay. That doesn't preclude it from being total poo poo and appear to be a horrible waste of time/money/effort to anyone looking at it from the outside.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I saw that guy talk about Godzillas on youtube once and I thought it was pretty good as far as Godzilla-based youtube clips go.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm down with Rolfe, he's got a great public access TV schtick and I'm glad he gets to make a goofy movie about an Atari 2600 game. I hope they let him direct Avengers 3 for shits and giggles.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kramjacks posted:

When did feeling something other than seething hatred become white knighting?

Whenever the person "white knighting" has a point.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Why are you guys fighting about AVGN when you could be dissing his lovely poster?

Seriously that is a really lovely poster.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's no Chester N. Turner or even Mark Borchard but Rolfe is one of my favorites.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
As terrible as AVGN's movie inevitably will be, it will be a masterpiece compared to Kickassia.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
If Obama was a real President, he'd ban pasty white nerds from cocking their eyebrow forever. Jesus christ, can you try to think of another emotion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As terrible as AVGN's movie inevitably will be, it will be a masterpiece compared to Kickassia.

We've hit the load limit on nerd facial hair