Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

dud root posted:

One of the mods like Shifter changed the DT so instead of doing 1x60 damage, it does 3x20 in quick succession. This was deliberate so the DT couldnt lightsaber open doors

:wtc: That's the stupidest change I've ever heard of in a mod. And then modders wonder why they don't get industry job offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Fuzz posted:

:wtc: That's the stupidest change I've ever heard of in a mod. And then modders wonder why they don't get industry job offers.

It wasn't a mod. It was an official patch.

And that's a really good change! Do you think it might perhaps be a bit gamebreaking to give players an item that can instantly destroy any destructible door at zero resource cost?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Party Plane Jones posted:

They're banging only if you save them from the hostage situation. Otherwise they're, you know, dead.

Thank you for absolutely blowing my mind out of my skull this morning.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Male Man posted:

It wasn't a mod. It was an official patch.

And that's a really good change! Do you think it might perhaps be a bit gamebreaking to give players an item that can instantly destroy any destructible door at zero resource cost?

Super Robot Man power fantasy, dude. As mentioned last page, the game started presenting you with tougher doors later on to counterbalance it. Also the fact that the game didn't scream "YOU CAN NOW LASER SWORD ALL DOORS" so it was a little treat to find it out for yourself.

In my opinion there are more broken things in DX1 to worry about than the best weapon in it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Does anyone here have a mirror for the new mod? Modbb has been stuck for days!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Stick with the prod

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Does the Dragon's Tooth compromise stealth since it generates light when drawn?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Not that I've ever noticed. It's strong enough that you can usually one-shot people with it from the front anyway.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Mzbundifund posted:

Not that I've ever noticed. It's strong enough that you can usually one-shot people with it from the front anyway.
The only thing, though, is that when you kill enemies with it they do the loud scream sound, and from what I've seen (despite not playing through this as many times as some of you guys) that could alert nearby enemies.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A nonlethal takedown is always the most silent takedown

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

fleshweasel posted:

A nonlethal takedown is always the most silent takedown

Sell em some zyme and instigate a bad breakup.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Does the Dragon's Tooth compromise stealth since it generates light when drawn?

Even the regular flashlight doesn't compromise stealth. Enemies can't see it.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I think Shifter changes that. I only really noticed it in Redsun 2020 though, thanks to its terrible pitch-black sections.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Who uses a flashlight when you can have cyber-sonar eyes? :confused:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Isn't the flashlight actually a representation of your cyber sonar eyes and not actually a light at all?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Isn't the flashlight actually a representation of your cyber sonar eyes and not actually a light at all?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's like imaginary light or something--all in your brain. That's originally why I was wondering about the sword, because it generates actual light.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
With Biomod enemies can see it. Whenever I shine it in the vents during the subway station hostage rescue it alerts enemies.

Biomod is the only way to play Deus Ex by the way.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
It's been a while since I looked at the code or thought about this, but from what I remember the flashlight doesn't alert enemies on its own, but it does increase the amount of light around you which makes it easier for NPCs to see you. I'm also pretty sure that's the vanilla behavior and neither Shifter nor Biomod modify it in any way.

Lork fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 14, 2013

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Male Man posted:

It seems like a stupid change when they could have just change the door damage resist, given that the only things that do more damage than the DT are explosives, unless they wanted doors you could break with a sniper rifle but not the DT.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

OneEightHundred posted:

It seems like a stupid change when they could have just change the door damage resist, given that the only things that do more damage than the DT are explosives, unless they wanted doors you could break with a sniper rifle but not the DT.
I don't know, changing the way damage is applied by one weapon seems a lot easier than changing the resistance of every single one of the hundreds (thousands?) of doors/lockers in game to me. Unless you mean a blanket change to the way resistance works for doors in code, but that would be a much wider reaching change (and thus more likely to have unintended consequences) than simply changing the sword itself.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I finally finished my first playthrough and did the (I'll spoiler this just in case anyone who hasn't beaten it is reading this) blow up Area 51/return to the Dark Ages ending. All I can say is that I'm pretty mad at myself for not playing past Liberty Island earlier, because this game is really fantastic and I like that none of the endings really sound like "good" endings. There were a few hiccups at times (mostly human error of forgetting to save between long periods of time and getting frustrated when I realized what happened), but the majority of the game was great and makes me want to do at least one or two more playthroughs to see what other stuff I can find and/or attempt gimmick playthroughs. :)

fuckpot posted:

Biomod is the only way to play Deus Ex by the way.
I just saw the ModDB page about it and that sounds like something I might try for my second playthrough whenever that happens. :)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I've tried playing through Deus Ex with Biomod, but I've never managed a full playthrough.

But that isn't to say it's bad. It adds Thief-style mantling, and you can never go wrong with that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Obeast posted:

I just saw the ModDB page about it and that sounds like something I might try for my second playthrough whenever that happens. :)

It's really something you may as well install for your first playthrough, since it's a net improvement over vanilla Deus Ex. Especially the aug rebalance stuff.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's really something you may as well install for your first playthrough, since it's a net improvement over vanilla Deus Ex. Especially the aug rebalance stuff.
This is true. Biomod really might as well be a new balance patch for vanilla Deus Ex. It gets rid of a lot of the trap options in the augs and tweaks the skills a bit. The other changes are all pretty minor. It's a must-have even for a first playthrough.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

jojoinnit posted:

Sell em some zyme and instigate a bad breakup.

Getting 20 zyme and using it all at once is always fun

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I am a massive advocate of Biomod but does it make the tutorial unpassable for anyone else? The bit where you need to make a long jump is impossible with the nerfed athletics skill.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is true. Biomod really might as well be a new balance patch for vanilla Deus Ex. It gets rid of a lot of the trap options in the augs and tweaks the skills a bit. The other changes are all pretty minor. It's a must-have even for a first playthrough.

One of my favourite things about Deus Ex is running around with ballistic protection 4 and speed 4 on hacking people to bits with melee weapons but if you try that with Biomod installed you're out of juice and dead pretty much instantaneously. I like the rest of Biomod a lot but with the exceptions of artificial heart and power recirculation I can't get on board with turning the active augs into passives. The first half of the game is getting there, so it's not like the player can't appreciate the god-like power these augs grant you.

What I'm saying here is everyone should run through the game without Biomod installed at least once, doesn't matter if it's your first play or not.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

fuckpot posted:

I am a massive advocate of Biomod but does it make the tutorial unpassable for anyone else? The bit where you need to make a long jump is impossible with the nerfed athletics skill.

Yeah, this happens unfortunately.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
So, I completed an "Ultimate Run" (no items/weapons/augs/skills/bioelectricity, Realistic, all door codes and passwords must be acquired legitimately). It took me a long time, there's a lot of subtlety to Alginon's strategies which you can't know about until you actually try it. I did find some better strategies though, for example I avoided having to backtrack to collect TNT crates at the shipyard.

The Ultimate Run is brutally difficult even with guidance, and requires some really creative stealth and usage of cover, as well as soaking up a lot of unavoidable damage. The only way to heal yourself is using medical bots, and these become very sparse - after leaving Vandenburg, there are none until the Area 51 bunker, which is about five missions later.

In the final third of the game it becomes extremely clear that Deus Ex wasn't intended to be played this way. There are some extremely difficult sections involving automated turrets and bots. I abused quick saves a lot. I think I had fun, anyway. I finished with 26,135 unused skill points :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Has anyone tried Human Renovation?

https://code.google.com/p/deus-ex-human-renovation/

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

Pussycats, 250.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

Doesn't it do something weird with the laser sight? I know there's one mod I haven't been able to get into because it messes with my pistol usage.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Doesn't it do something weird with the laser sight? I know there's one mod I haven't been able to get into because it messes with my pistol usage.

It fixes the bug where the pistol laser sight makes the pistol 100% accurate, as if you had maxed the pistol skill, without requiring you to actually put any skill points in pistols.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

It makes the laser dot float around according to your pistol skill rather than being instantly accurate. So the laser will tell you where the round is gonna hit, but that's not necessarily on the center of your crosshairs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just realized I was thinking of what happens when you put a scope on a pistol that has a laser sight. :downs:.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just realized I was thinking of what happens when you put a scope on a pistol that has a laser sight. :downs:.

I like to think it's not a bug, the scope is just super heavy and JC's hand is all shakey cause it gets tiring holding something up in front of you for that long.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My parkisons is augmented.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Picked the old fucker up in the steam sale earlier this evening and started playing it again. Some time later it's 2 in the morning and I've created a pile of unconscious bodies in front of the statue of liberty's front door.

It's exactly like when I played it for the first time. HR failed to excite me after playing for an hour, but this game I can still play for ages and actually forget the time like I was a teenager again.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So here's a question about the numbers that's terror. Are any of the factoids the terrorist leader deploys actually correct? The tax rates I'm willing to accept, but the self employment stats seems highly suspect. (I'd google, but nothing relevant pops up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Xander77 posted:

So here's a question about the numbers that's terror. Are any of the factoids the terrorist leader deploys actually correct? The tax rates I'm willing to accept, but the self employment stats seems highly suspect. (I'd google, but nothing relevant pops up)

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2006/03/art3full.pdf

There's nothing specifically labeled "self-employed" there, but it gives you some idea of the various sectors and industries of employment since 1910. A large portion were farmers and farm laborers, which were often family members. Another large percentage were craftsmen. Industrialization, technological advances, as well as the growth in education and healthcare, have made it possible for fewer people to do the same work, and specialization a necessity. Also the change in traditional gender roles, particularly during WW2 and beyond, is a big factor. Workers priors to that period were overwhelmingly male (except in very select fields) whereas the addition of women rapidly expanded the workforce. The quote in Deus Ex about 90% self-employment probably can't be substantiated, but after all, it's a game about conspiracy theories.

The quote "corporations paid 50% of federal taxes" is probably a misinterpretation: The corporate tax rate was in fact 50% until the 1950s, but that doesn't equate to 50% of federal revenue.