Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As terrible as AVGN's movie inevitably will be, it will be a masterpiece compared to Kickassia.

God why do I have that DVD? :negative: Though that was 4 years ago and the bloopers on it are pretty funny.

muike posted:

I like the series on monster and horror movies he does. Oh poo poo it's October, I guess it's time to check that.
Its been really good, he's been doing the Universal Mummy Series, the Hammer Frankenstein movies, and is now on the Gamera series.
They are informative and it shows how much passion and knowledge Rolfe has for film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
There’s a potentially good documentary in the vein of Trekkies or King of Kong to be made about the internet reviewer phenomenon and bizarre passion projects like Kickassia, To Boldly Flee and Linkara’s ongoing storyline are some of the reasons why.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

High Warlord Zog posted:

There’s a potentially good documentary in the vein of Trekkies or King of Kong to be made about the internet reviewer phenomenon and bizarre passion projects like Kickassia, To Boldly Flee and Linkara’s ongoing storyline are some of the reasons why.
Eh I just think its just simply people wanting to make something fun on the internet for their fans (also to make money) and at least To Boldly Flee attempted to end a character that by that point had gotten beyond stale. It failed of course.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

High Warlord Zog posted:

I can't speak for all of them, but Linkara's ongoing stories at least come from a line of thought that I like; he wants to do more than just give his viewers what they want and expect, he wants to challenge them and avoid one of the biggest pitfalls of the ongoing comics that he reviews. While I think he's done so horribly (personally, I think Todd in the Shadows grapples with the same idea in a much better way), I can understand where he's coming from and I respect him a lot for that.

Linkara's also apparently a really big influence on the collaborative works on TGWTG, judging by what Doug Walker's said in commentaries. Make of that what you will.

I think the issue with the posters and covers that they produce for stuff like this is that they're heavily influenced by the 'throw in as much as absolutely possible' school of movie poster design, because that style was so popular among the 'nerd classic' movies they hold in high regard. I think you can see similar traits in the SNES/Nintendo 64 era of video games that they also love, although that tends to be less haphazard 'Things That Are In This' and more specifically designed as an ensemble image.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

achillesforever6 posted:

Eh I just think its just simply people wanting to make something fun on the internet for their fans (also to make money) and at least To Boldly Flee attempted to end a character that by that point had gotten beyond stale. It failed of course.
I still think Doug underestimated how stopping NC videos was going to affect site traffic. He wanted to do something completely different, but the fans weren't on board with that, surprise surprise.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ez posted:

The official poster for the Angry Video Game Nerd movie.

Appropriately, it's a load of motherfucking diarrhea dog poo poo.

I'll see you and raise you...

Unfortunately, you've missed your opportunity to see it on the big screen but that doesn't matter much because it's available on YouTube for free.

Enjoy?

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 14, 2013

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

zenintrude posted:

I'll see you and raise you...

Unfortunately, you've missed your opportunity to see it on the big screen but that doesn't matter much because it's available on YouTube for free.

Enjoy?

I love Ashens, I've seen all of his videos dozens of times, but that movie was pretty bad too. Every one of these "reviewer" movies is exactly the same, the reviewer has to take on an epic quest to review the ultimate thing and it never works. I haven't seen Kickassia (and I never will) but I assume its the same basic thing but with more circlejerking. Ashens is really clever and funny but not in a scripted format and it didn't help that every actor (including Warwick Davis) was just as bad or worse.

The poster sucks too, but that's obvious.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I like Rolfe but much like the RLM guys, they might be interesting to talk about movies but the movies they make are really terrible.

They are more than happy to have fun doing what they want to do but I'm not going to excuse it just because it's a "labour of love".

Do your thing but you are not absolved from criticism.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Criticism of the work is fine, but saying poo poo like this...

PriorMarcus posted:

The only reaction anyone should have to hearing that a person dedicated 2 years of their existence to poo poo like this is thanking God that they aren't delusional and mentally simple enough to have done so themselves.

...isn't really constructive. It's just an attack on the creator for making it, along with the suggestion that you'd have to be stupid and delusional to try and create anything.

People are having fun making movies, and you can't really "make a movie" unless you film and edit it, and if you film and edit you might as well release it because there are plenty of really cheap avenues for film distribution these days. If people don't like it they don't have to watch it.

That aside, the poster is really bad.

Ez posted:

The official poster for the Angry Video Game Nerd movie.

Appropriately, it's a load of motherfucking diarrhea dog poo poo.

You can see what they were going for, that really cheesy pastiche-type poster that you'd see in the 70's or 80's where it's just the cast and a series of scenes pasted together with no regard for scale or composition. Yet it still just... looks bad. I want to say that it's because of the poor artwork, but I think even if they just used stills from the film it'd look like poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm almost certainly not going to watch that movie, for what it's worth.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Not to sound snarky, but who is the audience for these nerd reviewer vanity projects? This phenomena has caught me by surprise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
People who have made them Youtube-wealthy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I didn't realise youtube was a bastion of quality control.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Is the nerdy glasses girl supposed to be a romantic lead? For some reason that irks me. I don't know why. It just feels like something someone who knows nothing about video game/nerd culture would develop for the movie instead of something Rolfe would want. But hey maybe Rolfe wrote that character.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Is the nerdy glasses girl supposed to be a romantic lead? For some reason that irks me. I don't know why. It just feels like something someone who knows nothing about video game/nerd culture would develop for the movie instead of something Rolfe would want. But hey maybe Rolfe wrote that character.

I dont think she is, at least I haven't seen anything to suggest it. If AVGN were a true Internet nerd he would awkwardly hit on her the whole movie only to be put in the "friend zone" at the end. Then he would call her a whore.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ez posted:

I dont think she is, at least I haven't seen anything to suggest it. If AVGN were a true Internet nerd he would awkwardly hit on her the whole movie only to be put in the "friend zone" at the end. Then he would call her a whore.

So it would be Egoraptor: The Movie?

"Hey Egoraptor, maybe we should go over..."
"HEY YOU STUPID oval office DON'T TELL ME WHERE TO GO, GOD loving drat IT!"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I am so glad I don't watch commercials, the ones for the inevitable pewdiepie movie are going to be so horrible.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So it would be Egoraptor: The Movie?

"Hey Egoraptor, maybe we should go over..."
"HEY YOU STUPID oval office DON'T TELL ME WHERE TO GO, GOD loving drat IT!"

I really like egoraptor, what is this in reference to?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I am so glad I don't watch commercials, the ones for the inevitable pewdiepie movie are going to be so horrible.

Fortunately, I think pewdiepie is too loving lazy to actually bother making a movie. Even if someone else was doing all of the work, I don't think he'd take time out of his busy schedule of sitting on his rear end and making ugly faces into a webcam all day.

edit: Also, I'm not going to bother watching the AVGN movie, and I like James' videos. Now, a Nathan Barnatt movie? That I might have to watch.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sockser posted:

I really like egoraptor, what is this in reference to?

His Mega Man X video where he had Roll pop up to tell him how to do things and in response he beat the poo poo out of her.

I like him at times too.

Riptide
Jun 26, 2012
Eh, I can see the look they were going for. The poster doesn't look TOO bad, except for the AVGN himself.

Everything about him looks terrible. The stupid expression on his face. The weird, sorta power-walking pose his body is in. The low quality of the drawing.

If they had reworked the AVGN, I think the poster could have been decent. Certainly not amazing, but decent.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Edit: Gonna let it die

Ez fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 14, 2013

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

King Vidiot posted:

Fortunately, I think pewdiepie is too loving lazy to actually bother making a movie. Even if someone else was doing all of the work, I don't think he'd take time out of his busy schedule of sitting on his rear end and making ugly faces into a webcam all day.

Annoying Orange and Hey its fred got franchises and merchandise, it's only a matter of time til someone tries to monetize that rear end in a top hat based on his youtube fame

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
John Cena's cameo in Fred The Movie is very funny.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

King Vidiot posted:

Now, a Nathan Barnatt movie? That I might have to watch.

Because he's an actual funny person who knows other actual funny people who would be willing to be in a film with him.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

zenintrude posted:

Because he's an actual funny person who knows other actual funny people who would be willing to be in a film with him.

Agreed. Funny and talented. Dude can dance.

Pick Hard
Sep 10, 2011
How about we take a look at a poster for a movie by professionals:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Somehow I knew that would be a Wes Anderson movie before I even saw his name. Decent poster though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I want to see that even less.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Pick Hard posted:

I was going to make a comment about how this looked like a knockoff Wes Anderson poster and then I looked again and it was a Wes Anderson poster.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

zenintrude posted:

His character sketches are pretty terrible but his dance videos are amazing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Pick Hard posted:

Man, that is a really fine looking poster, from the hotel over the matte-painting reminiscent of a stage play (tying into Wes Anderson's usual "indie hand-made" style), to the color scheme and the slight asymmetry, and even how the credits at the bottom are centered and "fit" into the wall.

And yet it's a new Wes Anderson movie so I'm torn. Moonrise Kingdom and Fantastic Mr. Fox were really good, so there's a chance this one might be good too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

John Cena's cameo in Fred The Movie is very funny.

Really? I didn't see him.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

muike posted:

Really? I didn't see him.

He's Fred.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's Fred's dad.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Come on it was a John Cena joke. You're killing me

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I got the joke!

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I was thinking more of Jonah Hill saying "excellent reference" from This Is The End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Great cast in that new Anderson but I wasn't a fan of Moonrise Kingdom or anything live-action he's done in a while really. Fantastic Fox was good though.