Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
is f# actually a good language

i learned some haskell, what is f# missing out of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
if the answer doesn't include "type constructors" i'm going to write my next random-rear end tool in it

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

f# has a weird thing "use clear" or something thats like use strict in js

thats all i know about it

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Otto Skorzeny posted:

increment 9 and you get A. 2d9 + 1 = 2da. (actually '2d9' + 1 == 'Argument "2d9" isn't numeric in addition (+) at foo.pl line bar' but w/e)

no, you get 10. and we're talking about incrementing here, not addition. (thus we see the continuous rhetorical shifting of the anti-php zealot: they have been shown to be wrong about this operator, so suddenly they were talking about that operator all along)

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i'm starting to learn go for some reason

seems neat. haven't actually gotten to any of the fancy stuff yet (i.e. concurrency), but digging the syntax and such so far. though i don't know how i feel about using for for everything instead of having while, each, etc

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

yes it is. increment 9 and you get 10. carry the 1 and you have to increment d. increment d and you get e.

carry the one? jesus gently caress man. either it's "2d:" or it's 0x2da, changing bases on you while incrementing is absolutely wrong

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Tiny Bug Child posted:

yes it is. increment 9 and you get 10. carry the 1 and you have to increment d. increment d and you get e.

this makes perfect sense

for a clown to ponder

at the circus programming workshop

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

carry the one? jesus gently caress man. either it's "2d:" or it's 0x2da, changing bases on you while incrementing is absolutely wrong

man nobody is talking about bases; you are way oversperging this. increment a number and you get that number plus one. increment a character and you get the next ascii character except in convenience cases like with upper/lowercase or the zzz -> aaaa thing.

trex eaterofcadrs
Jun 17, 2005
My lack of understanding is only exceeded by my lack of concern.
i feel like the blond guy from the princess bride, when he is on the torture machine and the 6 fingered man says "i've just sucked one year of your life away"

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Tiny Bug Child posted:

man nobody is talking about bases; you are way oversperging this. increment a number and you get that number plus one. increment a character and you get the next ascii character except in convenience cases like with upper/lowercase or the zzz -> aaaa thing.

Why the gently caress does it think it can do an increment operation on the 2d9 in the first place, that's only a valid number in HEX. Does it just look at the last digit and say hmmm lets add a one to it... ahh no gently caress this, gently caress php

Zlodo posted:

this makes perfect sense

for a clown to ponder

at the circus programming workshop

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
some may think that tbc is "trolling" or being otherwise unhelpful, but here's the thing:

Tiny Bug Child posted:

this is exactly right. this is exactly the way that the developers of php actually think.

don't write a php.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Tiny Bug Child posted:

no, you get 10. and we're talking about incrementing here, not addition. (thus we see the continuous rhetorical shifting of the anti-php zealot: they have been shown to be wrong about this operator, so suddenly they were talking about that operator all along)
I see youve found someone who is actually willing to reply to you so congrats I guess

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im the language where strings are implicitly base 10 and base 26

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

im the sperg that needs to talk about bases before i plus some numbers together

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Dessert Rose posted:

is f# actually a good language

i learned some haskell, what is f# missing out of that

it's got some warts but i like it a lot. i don't know haskell though so i can't say what you might be missing. i don't know what a "type constructor" is but based on googling it looks like you might be able to get there with adts + .net generics so give it a shot!

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

it's nbd in lisp, i'm impressed that they didn't accidentally turn into c++ or haskell or something weird trying to intuitively support macros in their syntaxhaving language

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tiny Bug Child posted:

:golfclap:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tiny Bug Child posted:

apparently when it's php that's kinda mandatory

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
code:
php> $foo = $bar = "2d9";
php> $foo++;
php> $bar--;
php> echo $foo;
2e0
php> echo $bar;
2d9
:3:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
this is your brain on php

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Zlodo posted:

this is your brain on php

http://forums.somethingawful.com/search.php?action=do_search_posthistory&userid=63627

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

summary: a lot of bad yosposting

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

I thought we were talking about incrementing? or is your php zealot rhetoric shifting now

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

trex eaterofcadrs posted:

there's no change of bases going on, the whole calculation is done in base 10 and whatever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Max Facetime posted:

there's no change of bases going on, the whole calculation is done in base 10 and whatever

yes, common base 10 math such as d + 1 = e

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
i'm confused here, it seems that some people unironically do not understand license plate arithmetic

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

shrughes posted:

i'm confused here, it seems that some people unironically do not understand license plate arithmetic

Maybe if people would have used a letter higher in the alphabet no one would have that was in HEX

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

shrughes posted:

2d9 + 1 = 2e0

2e0 + 1 = 3

just lol

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Bloody posted:

2d9 + 1 = 2e0

2e0 + 1 = 3

just lol

yeah now im doing tbcs logic here

2e0 + 1

okay you just add 1 to the 0

2e1 right

no 3 actually sorry because 2+1 = 3

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
it is not possible for a human being to independently come up with a spec for + that acts like php

the only way to specify php + is to look at the implementation after the fact and write down what it does

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
its easy you just add the first number you see and if it's 9 it's okay to start looking from the right and if it's 0 it's okay to start looking from the left

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

General Olloth posted:

yeah now im doing tbcs logic here

2e0 + 1

okay you just add 1 to the 0

what? no jfc. did you even see the part about scientific notation? 2e0 = 2. 2e1 = 20. 2e2 = 200.

that is seriously like middle school stuff

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
find me a language other than php where adding 1 to a hexadecimal number produces a decimal number in exponential notation

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

JewKiller 3000 posted:

find me a language other than php where adding 1 to a hexadecimal number produces a decimal number in exponential notation

no jfc it wasnt a hex number it was just a string

get it through your face

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
*ignores part about automatically mutating type*

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
ugn types dont exist its a problem u made for yourslef

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

why the gently caress is anyone talking about hexadecimal numbers

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

General Olloth posted:

no jfc it wasnt a hex number it was just a string

get it through your face

i was waiting for him to reply with that so i could make a snide comment about types :)

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
oh poo poo my bad it's not even a hex add the first time it's something much worse

like i said, cannot be specified except by a braindead php-only programmer (tbc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

JewKiller 3000 posted:

oh poo poo my bad it's not even a hex add the first time it's something much worse

like i said, cannot be specified except by a braindead php-only programmer (tbc)

i cant keep posting like him im starting to get it help

send help